PDA

View Full Version : McWorld

eiregosod
01-15-08, 11:06 AM
any new ideas that Steve Jobs will provide his employees to keep their McJobs for the next few months?

dando
01-15-08, 12:35 PM
http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/14/macworld-2008-how-can-steve-jobs-top-the-iphone/

I bet The Beatles.

-Kevin

dando
01-15-08, 02:05 PM
http://www.news.com/one-more-thing/8301-13579_3-9850085-37.html?tag=head

No Beatles yet. :(

-Kevin

dando
01-15-08, 03:05 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080115/MacBook_Air_back_540x359.JPG

That's insanely thin! :eek:

-Kevin

RichK
01-15-08, 03:17 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080115/MacBook_Air_back_540x359.JPG

That's insanely thin! :eek:

-Kevin

Yeah, but it makes up for the thin dimension with a pretty big length & width. Looks to be about 20 feet long X 15 feet wide.

dando
01-15-08, 03:25 PM
Yeah, but it makes up for the thin dimension with a pretty big length & width. Looks to be about 20 feet long X 15 feet wide.

Yeah, but I can type on it like Tom Hanks playing the piano in Big. :D :p

-Kevin

indyfan31
01-15-08, 04:10 PM
13.3" screen and it fit's inside a standard manilla envelope, $1799.
2G RAM, 80G drive, Core 2 Duo processor that Intel reduced in size by 60%.

You can now pull down Podcasts, photos from Flicker, and rent movies right from the Apple TV unit, no computer required.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Apple stock 10 years ago. They're selling an average of 20,000 iPhones PER DAY.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-08, 04:13 PM
:shakehead They could manufacture white condoms with an apple printed on them, call them " iBags " and the faithful would pay $10 each.

oddlycalm
01-15-08, 04:40 PM
:shakehead They could manufacture white condoms with an apple printed on them, call them " iBags " and the faithful would pay $10 each. Don't look now but the price on their 8 core Mac Pro is less than the same spec system from Dell or for that matter less than what you go out and buy the parts for. Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html?cid=CDM-US-Mac-C004848-116259&Email_PageName=6237B-SB&Email_OID=184718&cp=116259&sr=em)

So what happens when you can buy great design for less and you can run all the PC apps you want by buying a copy of XP and dialing up Boot Camp when you start the system?

Using Intel chips and other PC standard components has Apple on an equal cost basis for the first time and the overly aggressive pricing may be yesterdays news. Worth watching.

oc

cameraman
01-15-08, 04:48 PM
So what happens when you can buy great design for less and you can run all the PC apps you want by buying a copy of XP and dialing up Boot Camp when you start the system?

Put Parallels on it and you can run XP while you are using 10.5. It is nice because you can do your web work using the Mac side and be, for all intents and purposes, malware-free while you are doing the statistics using the XP-based program. If you are really doing something that needs the last 20% of available speed you can always reboot into straight up XP.

dando
01-15-08, 04:49 PM
Don't look now but the price on their 8 core Mac Pro is less than the same spec system from Dell or for that matter less than what you go out and buy the parts for. Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html?cid=CDM-US-Mac-C004848-116259&Email_PageName=6237B-SB&Email_OID=184718&cp=116259&sr=em)

Using Intel chips and other PC standard components has Apple on an equal cost basis for the first time and the overly aggressive pricing may be yesterdays news. Worth watching.

oc

Since they released Intel Macs a year ago, their market share has doubled from 4% to 8%. I know it's easy to claim large increases with small numbers, but that is significant in one year. So much so that Dell is copying them:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-xps-one-with/4505-3118_7-32743745.html?tag=prod.txt.1

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/32743745-2-120-OVR-1.gif

-Kevin

RichK
01-15-08, 04:53 PM
I *REALLY* Like the iphone. I can't justify $400, though.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-08, 05:02 PM
Don't look now but the price on their 8 core Mac Pro is less than the same spec system from Dell or for that matter less than what you go out and buy the parts for. Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html?cid=CDM-US-Mac-C004848-116259&Email_PageName=6237B-SB&Email_OID=184718&cp=116259&sr=em)

oc I don't care, I build my own systems. All a Dell is good for is if you gut it and use the case for a wastebasket.

eiregosod
01-15-08, 05:29 PM
:shakehead They could manufacture white condoms with an apple printed on them, call them " iBags " and the faithful would pay $10 each.

the apple turnovers will buy anything ;)

oddlycalm
01-15-08, 05:43 PM
I don't care, I build my own systems. All a Dell is good for is if you gut it and use the case for a wastebasket. Yeah, I've always built my own as well because I had to in order to get first rate performance, reliability and silence. On the other hand, if I can get an 8 core Mac Pro for the price of the parts and a copy of XP Pro then I'm sure I can find something better to do with my time.

You want my stash of variable speed Panaflo and Papst case fans....? :gomer:

oc

dando
01-15-08, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I've always built my own as well because I had to in order to get first rate performance, reliability and silence. On the other hand, if I can get an 8 core Mac Pro for the price of the parts and a copy of XP Pro then I'm sure I can find something better to do with my time.

They dropped the price so much that their refurb units aren't a deal with the new machines. 8 core w/1GB RAM and 250GB HD is $2800, same as a new machine w/2GB RAM and 320GB HD. :eek: Plus, newer ATI graphics card to boot. Damn.

Look @ how insanely thin the Air is:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1373/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/home/banner_macbookair_080115.jpg

:eek: x 11

-Kevin

Cam
01-15-08, 06:28 PM
They dropped the price so much that their refurb units aren't a deal with the new machines. 8 core w/1GB RAM and 250GB HD is $2800, same as a new machine w/2GB RAM and 320GB HD. :eek: Plus, newer ATI graphics card to boot. Damn.

Look @ how insanely thin the Air is:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1373/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/home/banner_macbookair_080115.jpg

:eek: x 11

-Kevin

Crikey! Makes the iBook G4 that I am using right now look like a concrete block! :cry:

cameraman
01-15-08, 06:29 PM
I'd worry about breaking it. My three year old has been known to tackle/stand on my lap top bag...

nrc
01-15-08, 09:04 PM
I'd worry about breaking it. My three year old has been known to tackle/stand on my lap top bag...My favorite thing about MacWorld is about three weeks later when someone complains that they've just cracked the screen on their new hotness.

Once upon a time Apple was all about "easy to use". Now I really think they're all about sleek and sexy. Yeah, they try to keep it simple (I'm mean they're still aimed at artsy types afterall) but if they have to sacrifice practicality or ease of use for sexy they'll do it in a heartbeat.

The final proof of this for me came when we Wooted a couple of refurb (ROXOR!) iPods. They have key sequences that make hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del look friendly just because power buttons aren't sexy enough for Steve.

Mercifully both iPods died within their 90 day warranty. No more refurb HD players for us and no more iPods. :thumdown:

Indy
01-15-08, 09:50 PM
I am loyal to Apple because they are the best. They have earned my loyalty and continue to earn it.

And I want one of those wa-a-a-a-fer thin MacBooks, damn it. :eek:

extramundane
01-15-08, 09:53 PM
And I want one of those wa-a-a-a-fer thin MacBooks, damn it. :eek:

I'd settle for one of the current-sized MacBooks, but damn that new one pegs the envy meter. :thumbup:

Insomniac
01-15-08, 11:52 PM
$1,800 and you can't replace the battery...

SteveH
01-16-08, 12:20 AM
$1,800 and you can't replace the battery...

:laugh: :thumbup:

cameraman
01-16-08, 12:27 AM
Holy form over function Batman:eek:

NO optical drive
NO firewire
NO ethernet card
Only one USB port
NO express card slot
2 gb ram max
80 gb 4200 rpm drive max
1.8 Ghz Core2 duo processor
Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
The battery is sealed in the silly thing:eek:

No way in hell I'd buy that:shakehead

dando
01-16-08, 12:38 AM
^^^

But it's purty and all. :gomer: It's definitely eye candy. :thumdown:

-Kevin

OW
01-16-08, 12:45 AM
The latest in I products

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCCYLC-4xA

indyfan31
01-16-08, 01:44 AM
...The final proof of this for me came when we Wooted a couple of refurb (ROXOR!) iPods. They have key sequences that make hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del look friendly just because power buttons aren't sexy enough for Steve.

Mercifully both iPods died within their 90 day warranty. No more refurb HD players for us and no more iPods. :thumdown:
Let's see, you bought refurbs from someone other than Apple, but blame Apple when they fail. Now, an iPod really only has 5 "buttons", if holding down two of them to do a reset is too complicated a "key sequence", then maybe you were right not to ever get another one. :p

Methanolandbrats
01-16-08, 08:27 AM
Holy form over function Batman:eek:

NO optical drive
NO firewire
NO ethernet card
Only one USB port
NO express card slot
2 gb ram max
80 gb 4200 rpm drive max
1.8 Ghz Core2 duo processor
Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
The battery is sealed in the silly thing:eek:

No way in hell I'd buy that:shakehead

But, but, it's been blessed by Saint Jobs. Take that out in the local wifi coffee shop and you will be surrounded by an aura...you'll get free expresso, you might even get laid.

Insomniac
01-16-08, 10:35 AM
But, but, it's been blessed by Saint Jobs. Take that out in the local wifi coffee shop and you will be surrounded by an aura...you'll get free expresso, you might even get laid.

It's underpriced then. :D

Insomniac
01-16-08, 10:36 AM
Let's see, you bought refurbs from someone other than Apple, but blame Apple when they fail. Now, an iPod really only has 5 "buttons", if holding down two of them to do a reset is too complicated a "key sequence", then maybe you were right not to ever get another one. :p

Should you have to read a manual to figure out how to turn it on/off and reset it? :p

KLang
01-16-08, 10:59 AM
I picked up an Ipod touch for my wife last weekend. I guess it is basically an Iphone minus the phone function. Pretty slick piece of hardware but I wonder how fragile the big touchscreen is.

tllips
01-16-08, 11:07 AM
I like the 3/4".. WOW!!!!

I don't like the sealed battery. Our iBook is only 3 yrs old and the battery life of our 2nd battery (At about $100) is getting to about 90-120 min.

I would be quite upset if, after spending $1800, I have to spend another $1800 2 years later because the battery won't hold a charge and Apple wants $1000 (or even $300) to put a new battery in it. :shakehead

dando
01-16-08, 11:07 AM
I picked up an Ipod touch for my wife last weekend. I guess it is basically an Iphone minus the phone function. Pretty slick piece of hardware but I wonder how fragile the big touchscreen is.

Well, time to find out then. Gotta 3-4 year old around? If not I can loan you one. ;)

-Kevin

KLang
01-16-08, 11:13 AM
Well, time to find out then. Gotta 3-4 year old around? If not I can loan you one. ;)

-Kevin

No thanks. I think Trial by Purse may be enough of a test. :)

Insomniac
01-16-08, 11:17 AM
I like the 3/4".. WOW!!!!

I don't like the sealed battery. Our iBook is only 3 yrs old and the battery life of our 2nd battery (At about $100) is getting to about 90-120 min.

I would be quite upset if, after spending $1800, I have to spend another $1800 2 years later because the battery won't hold a charge and Apple wants $1000 (or even $300) to put a new battery in it. :shakehead

Apple has had a reasonable charge for iPod/iPhone battery replacement.

indyfan31
01-16-08, 11:35 AM
Should you have to read a manual to figure out how to turn it on/off and reset it? :p

Yes, or you could ask another iPod owner, there's enough of them around.
The thing is essentially a hand-held computer, and you should read the manual to get everything out of it that it offers. I would bet that with your first computer you had to look up the definition of Ctrl-Alt-Del, or ask someone else.

dando
01-16-08, 11:36 AM
Apple has had a reasonable charge for iPod/iPhone battery replacement.

~$70, IIRC. Not unreasonable, depending on how long the batteries last. I have no idea...I have a 20GB Creative device that cost me less than that. :)

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-16-08, 12:04 PM
Yes, or you could ask another iPod owner, there's enough of them around.
The thing is essentially a hand-held computer, and you should read the manual to get everything out of it that it offers. I would bet that with your first computer you had to look up the definition of Ctrl-Alt-Del, or ask someone else.

I didn't say it was impossible to figure out. Just pointing out that if you've never used one before, something as simple as turning it on you would have to read the manual. Everything else is quite intuitive. I can't think of any other reason to read the manual. Everything is in the menus and the touch wheel is intuitive and the symbols are common to most people who have used other audio/video devices.

I can't think of any PC (or Mac) that didn't have a clearly labeled on/off (I/O) switch and many had reset buttons as well.

Insomniac
01-16-08, 12:09 PM
~$70, IIRC. Not unreasonable, depending on how long the batteries last. I have no idea...I have a 20GB Creative device that cost me less than that. :)

-Kevin

It would be a lot cheaper if they were user replaceable for sure. It's probably the right amount ($66 for the iPod and $86 for the iPhone) where you would replace it instead of throwing it out or eBaying it.

I think Li-Ion batteries have around 500 charge cycles.

indyfan31
01-16-08, 01:02 PM
I didn't say it was impossible to figure out. Just pointing out that if you've never used one before, something as simple as turning it on you would have to read the manual. Everything else is quite intuitive. I can't think of any other reason to read the manual. Everything is in the menus and the touch wheel is intuitive and the symbols are common to most people who have used other audio/video devices.

I can't think of any PC (or Mac) that didn't have a clearly labeled on/off (I/O) switch and many had reset buttons as well.
I didn't say it was impossible either, but if you don't understand something: RTFM.

Methanolandbrats
01-16-08, 01:23 PM
Apple Press Release:

The lack of an "on-off" button is just a step forward in technological evolution. A move away from the binary World. The next iPod will feature no buttons because the user will "become one" with the iPod and it will literally read your mind. Of course if it does'nt work out of the box or ever "fails to respond", the owner and iPod must fly to California for "neural harmony adjustment", a firmware tweak in the iPod and attitude "adjustment" in the owner. The cost of the Neural Harmony Adjustment will be under $5,000. The fee will include an autographed photo of Steve Jobs. Jobs is confident people will adopt the new technology. "Look at what a pain in the ass it was to send in other i devices for new batteries and our lemmings.......err.......customers did'nt complain about that" said Jobs.

Insomniac
01-16-08, 01:57 PM
I didn't say it was impossible either, but if you don't understand something: RTFM.

That's a nice hope, but most people don't "RTFM". They open up their new toy and start using it. Is it a big deal? Absolutely not. Some people feel something that intuitive shouldn't need the most basic thing as turning it on/off explained to them. Especially if they've used a lot of tech devices before. Some people feel otherwise.

chop456
01-16-08, 02:03 PM
iPod batteries are user replaceable. You can buy kits w/tools on eBay.

I've used mine 6 hrs/day, 5 days/wk for 2 years and haven't noticed any decrease in battery life yet. :crossesfingers:

SteveH
01-16-08, 02:21 PM
iPod batteries are user replaceable. You can buy kits w/tools on eBay.

I've used mine 6 hrs/day, 5 days/wk for 2 years and haven't noticed any decrease in battery life yet. :crossesfingers:

but you're deaf as a result :p

chop456
01-16-08, 02:47 PM
Dumb, too. :D

oddlycalm
01-16-08, 03:15 PM
Put Parallels on it and you can run XP while you are using 10.5. It is nice because you can do your web work using the Mac side and be, for all intents and purposes, malware-free while you are doing the statistics using the XP-based program. If you are really doing something that needs the last 20% of available speed you can always reboot into straight up XP. Yup, that's the way I set up our iMac. I think I've booted up to XP around three times since we've had it and my wife never has. That would be different for my work machine though since I have an SQL database client, AutoCAD, Citrix, etc., etc. open all day.

They dropped the price so much that their refurb units aren't a deal with the new machines. 8 core w/1GB RAM and 250GB HD is $2800, same as a new machine w/2GB RAM and 320GB HD. :eek: Plus, newer ATI graphics card to boot. Damn. Exactly, $2999.00 with the nVidia 8800GT. Add another couple gigs of aftermarket memory, some decent drives and an academic version ($119) of XP Pro and you've got a bargain SOTA dual Xeon 5400 system with all the goodies including built-in Firewire 800 in a chassis that is beyond any you can buy/build. I priced the parts to actually build a similar system with a Supermicro EATX board and Silverstone chassis and it was around $6K. :eek: I'm not willing to pay $2000+ more and give up a weekend of my time just so I can hate on Apple. :gomer:

indyfan31
01-16-08, 03:52 PM
That's a nice hope, but most people don't "RTFM". They open up their new toy and start using it. Is it a big deal? Absolutely not. Some people feel something that intuitive shouldn't need the most basic thing as turning it on/off explained to them. Especially if they've used a lot of tech devices before. Some people feel otherwise.

Insomniac. You know, I think we're talking in circles now but I'll say this: if the average pre-teen can figure out an iPod (and you know they won't read the manual), then it can't be that hard.

Oddlycalm. I've got an Intel MacBook Pro but I haven't found a windows app that has compelled me to go out and get Parallels. Office:Mac X works great (although I will be getting Office:Mac 2008), other than that, between iLife and Photoshop I've got everything I need.
I am really curious as to how Microstation would run because that's what I use at work, I'm just not that ambitious.

Cam
01-16-08, 04:02 PM
Oddlycalm. I've got an Intel MacBook Pro but I haven't found a windows app that has compelled me to go out and get Parallels. Office:Mac X works great (although I will be getting Office:Mac 2008), other than that, between iLife and Photoshop I've got everything I need.

Installed OpenOffice on this iBook the other day. So far works great. No M$ taxes paid here... :)

Ankf00
01-16-08, 04:26 PM
Installed OpenOffice on this iBook the other day. So far works great. No M$ taxes paid here... :)

did OO last night to edit an important paper I needed immediately, worked smooooooth.

Citrix Citrix, holla!

Insomniac
01-16-08, 04:34 PM
Insomniac. You know, I think we're talking in circles now but I'll say this: if the average pre-teen can figure out an iPod (and you know they won't read the manual), then it can't be that hard.

I don't disagree. I figured it out without looking at the manual. Probably just by deduction and using cell phones. It's a design choice, but one people have every right to criticize.

indyfan31
01-16-08, 05:11 PM
According to MacRumors the MacBook Air battery will cost $129 to replace and will be done by Apple. I can't hit the link from here at work so I can't verify the specifics. Link (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/)

cameraman
01-16-08, 05:44 PM
I've got an Intel MacBook Pro but I haven't found a windows app that has compelled me to go out and get Parallels.

For my wife I have WordPerfect 11. You can't be a Federal Court attorney without your copy of WordPerfect 11. The Judicial branch does not accept Word files.

For me there are a number of data analysis and lab automation packages that are XP only. Nothing that Parallels can't handle easily.

It is also nice to have Office 2008 on the XP side for the people who insist on sending us the new format Office files that nothing else can open.

If you run very large and very complex Excel spreadsheets you are taking real chances if you try to use open office. It is not 100% compatible with Excel.

nrc
01-16-08, 09:42 PM

I don't "blame" anyone that they failed. I'm glad that they failed because I got a refund.

Rule number one of human interface design: simple things should be simple. Turning a device on and off shouldn't be something you have to read the manual for.

RichK
01-16-08, 10:41 PM
Rule number one of human interface design: simple things should be simple. Turning a device on and off shouldn't be something you have to read the manual for.

It IS simple, and once the user learns the function (on the first day), the need for a dedicated power button is not necessary. I think it's an elegant design.

G.
01-16-08, 10:47 PM
So if one of you tosses me an iPod, and sez, "Check out my playlist", or something like that, I'll be lost?

Then they tell me to push the buttons, X and Y, exactly the SQRT(2) times, and make me feel all stupid and ****. That's a good thing? Mayhap. :gomer:

(Creative roxors my soxors.:thumbup: )

And I like Mac...

Ankf00
01-16-08, 10:57 PM
So if one of you tosses me an iPod, and sez, "Check out my playlist", or something like that, I'll be lost? I dont' have one but I've never had a problem using someone else's.

Methanolandbrats
01-16-08, 11:18 PM
It's way to easy trolling Apple owners :rofl: ........it's not even any fun. :( ;)

nrc
01-17-08, 12:17 AM
It IS simple, and once the user learns the function (on the first day), the need for a dedicated power button is not necessary. I think it's an elegant design.

Press and hold to turn off sucks. During the two months I had the things I wasted 10 minutes of my life waiting on the stupid thing to turn off. Yes, you can just let them eventually go off themselves if they're paused but iPod battery life isn't so great that you can give up those extra minutes lightly.

Press any button to turn on sucks because you can't put an iPod in a bag or a case or on a table or practically anywhere without accidently turning it on and eating into the aforementioned poor battery life. That means that the real power off sequence has to be push and hold play, wait while your seconds on this planet tick away to make sure it's off, then activate the lock switch.

The real power on sequence is to unlock the player and then press any button. Or just as likely, discover you neglected to lock the player, press any button, find that it's dead because it came on in your briefcase while you were carrying it around, plug it to charge and wait to try again tomorrow.

Most people don't care about this. They just accept it and go about their business. They think the battery life sucks and wonder why the battery is flat in two years but they don't connect it to the fact that Apple has disregarded one of the oldest, simplest, and most effective user interface conventions for the sake of a sleek profile. Small price to pay for so much sexy, I suppose.

Methanolandbrats
01-17-08, 12:39 AM
Press and hold to turn off sucks. During the two months I had the things I wasted 10 minutes of my life waiting on the stupid thing to turn off. Yes, you can just let them eventually go off themselves if they're paused but iPod battery life isn't so great that you can give up those extra minutes lightly.

Press any button to turn on sucks because you can't put an iPod in a bag or a case or on a table or practically anywhere without accidently turning it on and eating into the aforementioned poor battery life. That means that the real power off sequence has to be push and hold play, wait while your seconds on this planet tick away to make sure it's off, then activate the lock switch.

The real power on sequence is to unlock the player and then press any button. Or just as likely, discover you neglected to lock the player, press any button, find that it's dead because it came on in your briefcase while you were carrying it around, plug it to charge and wait to try again tomorrow.

Most people don't care about this. They just accept it and go about their business. They think the battery life sucks and wonder why the battery is flat in two years but they don't connect it to the fact that Apple has disregarded one of the oldest, simplest, and most effective user interface conventions for the sake of a sleek profile. Small price to pay for so much sexy, I suppose. A 3lb sledge will make sure it's turned off. :thumbup:

indyfan31
01-17-08, 11:11 AM

Most people don't care about this. They just accept it and go about their business. They think the battery life sucks and wonder why the battery is flat in two years but they don't connect it to the fact that Apple has disregarded one of the oldest, simplest, and most effective user interface conventions for the sake of a sleek profile. Small price to pay for so much sexy, I suppose.

Well, at least you're not bitter. :cool:

dando
01-20-08, 03:58 PM
Daddy gots him a new work toy:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/index_top20071026.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Now he need to get him one for home. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
01-21-08, 03:35 AM
What's another $3500 here or there:eek:

dando
01-21-08, 11:12 AM
What's another $3500 here or there:eek:

Refurb 15"2.2, 2GB models run $1700 and 17" 2.2, 2GB $2200 from the @pple store. $2600 for the hi-res display models. To get to $3500, you'd need to go with a 2.6, 4GB, hi-res model. A bit of an overkill for me.

-Kevin

ferrarigod
01-21-08, 05:06 PM
i like the macbook air, especially the solid state hd, that is the way of the future, no doubt about it. the backlit keyboard and led is clutch. but not having an included cd/dvd within it is a mistake. i would gladly take it being 3/4 of an inch wide everywhere just to get a dvd player. not everyone in the world downloads movies, i still prefer owning the solid copy of movies(music is the opposite however).

i'll stick with my 2.0ghz macbook with 80gb of hd for now. let them work out the macbook air solid state a little, and let me ruin my mac a little more and then i'll talk about spending 3 grand on something i don't need.

cameraman
01-21-08, 06:45 PM
I've got a 17" 2.33 GHz Powerbook that is a little over a year old. It is both a work and home machine. Only issue I have with it is the 7200 rpm drive abuses the battery. It made a huge difference in the speed at which it processes data sets but it is only good for about 3.5 hours unplugged.

Sean Malone
01-22-08, 12:18 AM
I've got a 17" 2.33 GHz Powerbook that is a little over a year old. It is both a work and home machine. Only issue I have with it is the 7200 rpm drive abuses the battery. It made a huge difference in the speed at which it processes data sets but it is only good for about 3.5 hours unplugged.

Only 3.5? My 1.8ghz Centrino Vaio from Sony only last an 1.5 hours brand new. After a year it dropped to about 30 minutes and now I can't unplug it for more than about 30 seconds. What I would give for 3.5!!