PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Motor Trend Car o' the Year

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 11:20 PM
drum roll....

The 2008 Chevy Malibu.

Wa wa what?

I'm sure we've all heard this by now and read glowing reviews from the press. The one constant I've read however is that the press compares this to the Honda/Toyota benchmarks but most add that it is "almost as good". I've never been a Motor Trend fan. I think they pander to the lowest common denominator and their 'Car/Truck of the year is bought and paid for. But is does generate press.

I also have been noticing that more and more Hyundai has been mentioned in the same breath as Honda and Toyota. Quite amazing really. Have you seen their new V8 entry level 'luxury' car? Looks nice. the big three should be embarrassed that not only have the Japanese dominated with superior products leaving them pulling their collective hairs out trying to regain (still after 2 and a half decades) but now a Korean company comes along and blindsides them. Chevy = It's almost as good as a Hyundai. Wow, that has to make executives at GM proud.

I'm sorry, but this new Malibu does nothing for me aesthetically and the press claims it will do nothing for me performance wise...hey, GM made a decent rental fleet car. Woopee!!

http://www.motortrend.com/av/of_the_year/112_2008_coty_chevrolet_malibu_contender_video

Spicoli
01-15-08, 12:00 AM
POS.

:pontiac aztec:

Gnam
01-15-08, 12:34 AM
I think [motortrend's] 'Car/Truck of the year is bought and paid for.
yes.

I like the Malibu, but 30k is too much for one.

cameraman
01-15-08, 02:26 AM
bleah

Stu
01-15-08, 09:34 AM
With today's fuel prices, how can they justify awarding this POS the Car of the Year award when it gets less than 25 mpg???? Its a sedan, its 2007, it should be well over 30mpg.

Indy
01-15-08, 09:49 AM
Motor Trend has always been an advertising medium for Detroit.

You can get that car down into the low twenties with an NA 4 cylinder, and that is considered to be a good thing? Put that up against a Jetta and all anyone could do would be to laugh.

I predict $5,000 rebates by the summer.

Sean Malone
01-15-08, 10:02 AM
I somewhat have an idea why this car is getting the press it is. It is not because this car is a paradigm in American engineering but rather the press believes this is the first sedan to come out of Detroit that is on par with the Japanese benchmarks. Is that true? Maybe.
It is sort of like the Oscars. The academy will sometimes give best director Oscar for a film that isn’t as good as a previous film the person has directed <<cough scorsese cough>>.

I want the big three to make competitive cars. Two of the three cars I have are from Detroit (figuratively speaking) and I really like them both. Do I think they are ‘better’ than their Japanese counterparts? I won’t go that far. But I also don’t buy cars just based on how long I’ll think they’ll last.

Insomniac
01-15-08, 01:04 PM
I personally like the look of the new Malibu. Not sure about anything else though. :)

WickerBill
02-05-08, 07:20 PM
Because I have to buy GM, and because I totaled my Equinox, guess who is probably going to end up in one of these "Car of the Year"s?

Ugh.

Then again, I'm used to "old Chevy", so maybe this will be an improvement.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2080/2244653425_97edc532c5_o.jpg

Methanolandbrats
02-05-08, 07:29 PM
If you must buy GM, buy a Vette':thumbup: :gomer:

Dirk Diggler
02-05-08, 08:12 PM
Green digital radio from 1982? Check.

Audi_A4
02-05-08, 08:15 PM
the dashboard of the Malibu is made from the same material as garbage cans. American cars really suck. I have been driving a Dodge Charger the past 2 weeks, my wife was rear ended in my car anyway the car handles like a pig and guzzles gas like a pig. no wonder the american car manufacturers cannot compete :shakehead

Gnam
02-05-08, 08:17 PM
2008 Motor Trend Car 'o the year

The 2008 Chevy Malibu.

Wa wa what?

Dewey Defeats Truman! ;)
motortrend COTY (http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_0801_2008_cadillac_cts/)

2008 Motor Trend Car of the Year Winner: Cadillac CTS

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6947/112080101l2008cadillacccb0.jpg

oddlycalm
02-05-08, 08:59 PM
Motor Trend is aimed at the potato heads, but I'm glad to see GM is turning out some products that aren't abject embarrasment. I want them to succeed but they haven't given me much to like over the last 30yrs or so.

My 89 Taurus SHO was the last US car I had that was worthy of extended conversation. We would drive it down to LV and average over 100mph between fuel stops. It would get 20mpg cruising all day at 100-105. It was quiet, comfortable and rock steady at 135mph just shy of when the electronic speed limiter kicked in. At less than $12K it was also a bargain. Ford had a hard time moving them because their customers didn't want a manual tranny and Ford had to discount them heavily. :gomer:

oc

Cam
02-05-08, 09:14 PM
Damn WB! That's one torn up twisted mess! :eek: :eek: :cry: