PDA

View Full Version : Honking could be Hazardous to Your Health

Pages : [1] 2

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 03:43 PM
As some of you may recall recently relocated to FL. The Tampa suburbs to be exact. You may also recall that I used to live in DC where I commuted into Alexandria, DC, Fall Church and then Reston over 15 years. I was a professional. I could fill a hole where there wasn’t a hole without anyone hardly noticing. One of the tools of a professional commuter is the horn. Usually reserved to wake up cell phone users or the ladies who decide this would be a good time to put their makeup on. Honking was common, honking was normal. It was and I’m sure it still is, just a part of the suburb to city commute.

Yesterday my wife and I ran out to get some playoff necessities and while turning into the strip mall where the grocery store is I had to wait for a guy coming the other way who decided he was going to turn into the mall also but he wasn’t going to use a turn signal. No prob, 98% of Floridians don’t use turn signals. I turn in behind him and we head toward the grocery store, while passing the fast food place he decides he is hungry and slams on his brakes turns toward the hamburger joint but stops in what I assume was a moment of indecision. I give him a one second little blip of the horn just to let him know I was behind him. Immediately the door of his Expedition flings open and out comes a mountain of a man. 6’5”, easily 300lbs with both arms raised in the air in the universal ‘man’ sign language that says “you gotta a f’n problem?”.

I roll down my window as he approaches and he actually says “you gotta ‘ f’n problem?” (I thought to myself, “that’s kind of redundant, he’s already giving the universal man sign language for that” I then knew he wasn’t too bright). Now, I’m a normal sized guy, relatively fit but the last fight I was in was ’95 in a crazy bar fight where all I remember was a dozen drunk guys and two dozen fists in the air. I escaped with a bloody lip and bruised knuckles. However, the Irish blood in me gets to boilin’ pretty fast so I say to him “you drive like an f’n idiot”.

To which he said “get out of your car and do something about it”. Now I had been challenged. The consequences quickly playing out in my head. I can get out and fight a guy three times bigger than me or I can apologize so that he’ll leave and I can proceed on. I undo my seat belt and reach for the door handle when my wife told me in no uncertain terms, “you get out of this car I will leave you here”. I said to the guy who had heard my wife “you’re lucky she’s here” and I rolled my window up. He flicked me off and went back to his truck.

One would think that would be the end of the story but it didn’t end for another 30 minutes as my wife read me the riot act, chiding me for honking the horn. I have a real problem with that because I don’t believe that a little ‘toot’ of a honk should mean that you are faced with an act of violence. This isn’t the first time this has happened here in FL either. A very similar thing happened but with my dad driving. He honks at everyone for anything.
The non commuters (or as I like to call them ‘uneducated white trash) take it as a personal affront. So the lesson learned…when in the Floridian ‘burbs honking may be hazardous to your health.

Stu
01-14-08, 03:54 PM
I could fill a hole where there wasn’t a hole without anyone hardly noticing.

Bet your wife wouldn't appreciate that being posted on a message board.

nrc
01-14-08, 03:57 PM
Sounds like in the future your answer to "You got a f'n problem?" should be "Yeah, I think there's a short in my horn." :D

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 04:04 PM
And FL is one of those shoot first ask questions later states.

Like my wife reminded me though, is it worth it to get into a fight over some inconsiderate, idiot driver? I begrudgingly guess it isn't.

Stu
01-14-08, 04:10 PM
And FL is one of those shoot first ask questions later states.

Like my wife reminded me though, is it worth it to get into a fight over some inconsiderate, idiot driver? I begrudgingly guess it isn't.

I do love the part about how your wife was then yelling at you, cuz that happens to all of us.

It has nothing to do with the fact that you did nothing wrong, or that the person in front of you couldn't drive, or that no harm was actually done. You should have just waited there patiently for up to 30 minutes until the person in front of stopped being selfish and decides where they want to go.

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 04:16 PM
I do love the part about how your wife was then yelling at you, cuz that happens to all of us.

It has nothing to do with the fact that you did nothing wrong, or that the person in front of you couldn't drive, or that no harm was actually done. You should have just waited there patiently for up to 30 minutes until the person in front of stopped being selfish and decides where they want to go.

Yep. My wife has turned me into a spinless jellyfish of a husband. Now I need to be a spineless member of society. :cry:

Last night during the game I asked my wife if she wanted another beer and she said I didn't ask nice enough. :(

I can't f'n win. This thread just took a turn. Honk if you have a spine. :D

redmist
01-14-08, 04:18 PM
florida has a pretty open castle doctrine law, should have just shot the f***er when he approached you. :) ;)

KLang
01-14-08, 04:22 PM
I do plenty of honking and gesturing at the idiots I'm forced to share the road with. ;) Probably lucky nobody has taken a shot at me so far. :D

Dirk Diggler
01-14-08, 04:25 PM
I guy I used to work with got into a bit of road rage once. The usual exchange of fingers, brake tests, and taunts. The other guy pulls into a parking lot, my co-worker slides up beside him, jumps out, and then realizes that this guy is some sort of steroid experiment gone wrong. So he does the only thing he can - he runs up and hold the guy's door shut and grovels with him until the guy promises not to kill him!:rofl:

RaceGrrl
01-14-08, 04:26 PM
Sounds like in the future your answer to "You got a f'n problem?" should be "Yeah, I think there's a short in my horn." :D

Nah, he should have just said, "no, but my wife does... she honked the horn."

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 04:28 PM
Nah, he should have just said, "no, but my wife does... she honked the horn."

that is hysterical! I love it!!

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 04:30 PM
florida has a pretty open castle doctrine law, should have just shot the f***er when he approached you. :) ;)

I was trying to use that on my wife as a basis for me to get a gun. She didn't buy it.

I wonder what color dress I'll wear tomorrow. :\

dando
01-14-08, 04:31 PM
I do plenty of honking and gesturing at the idiots I'm forced to share the road with. ;) Probably lucky nobody has taken a shot at me so far. :D

Same here. I've been followed a couple of times (I always take a nice leisurely drive to the local police station), and I've had one moron get out of his car. :saywhat: In those situations, I refuse to stoop to their level. Of course my girls have forced me to mellow out a tad behind the wheel. Now I give a sarcastic thumbs up instead of the bird when someone makes a dumb move on the road. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-14-08, 04:35 PM
Houston has the most idiotic drivers on the planet. Of all accidents there, 39% are due to excessive speed when the natl avg is 13%. And of course everyone drives an Expedition in Houston like Schumacher drives a cab in Coburn.

Never really honked or got riled up, just turned the music up and chilled, let the idiots knock themselves out of the gene pool while I enjoy myself. :) Also, Houston is where no one has a carry permit but everyone has at least 3 firearms stashed away in the car, so self preservation dictates a more relaxed approach :D

cameraman
01-14-08, 04:45 PM
Honking is relatively rare in Salt Lake, which is odd considering how bad the drivers are. It could be related to the very high percentage of the drivers in this town who are armed. Now they are selling Tazers to everybody and anybody who asks for one so getting into a fight over someone's driving just isn't a very good idea.:shakehead

dando
01-14-08, 04:48 PM
Honking is relatively rare in Salt Lake, which is odd considering how bad the drivers are. It could be related to the very high percentage of the drivers in this town who are armed. Now they are selling Tazers to everybody and anybody who asks for one so getting into a fight over someone's driving just isn't a very good idea.:shakehead

Don't taze me, bro!

uooMH0g_OUE

(Sorry. I just had to.) :-)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-14-08, 05:11 PM
Don't taze me, bro!

uooMH0g_OUE

(Sorry. I just had to.) :-)

-Kevin:laugh:

eiregosod
01-14-08, 05:23 PM
one second is hardly a "blip" ;) :\ :o

oddlycalm
01-14-08, 05:32 PM
And FL is one of those shoot first ask questions later states. New rules time. You aren't in the DC suburbs anymore. Don't provoke the locals. Better to have a nap while someone stops to pick his nose than to be forced to run him down and face a year of paperwork and hearings.

I'm a believer in concealed carry permits. Getting a flat (car or bike) in the middle of nowhere makes one an easy target. No reason to carry in our town, but there's a lot of open country with barely traveled roads any way you head from here. Having lived in Florida I'd rate your risk as much higher than here, yet I always carry when leaving this area. Carry permits are easy to get, are good for 5yrs and have reciprocity rights in most states. Get yourself some good training so you don't hurt yourself or somebody else, but be in a position to protect. You're going to stand out from the locals, which in some places makes you a target.

oc

Methanolandbrats
01-14-08, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you should take your wife to dinner since she saved you from getting your ass kicked by an enormous crazy bastard.:)

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 05:46 PM
New rules time. You aren't in the DC suburbs anymore. Don't provoke the locals. Better to have a nap while someone stops to pick his nose than to be forced to run him down and face a year of paperwork and hearings.

I'm a believer in concealed carry permits. Getting a flat (car or bike) in the middle of nowhere makes one an easy target. No reason to carry in our town, but there's a lot of open country with barely traveled roads any way you head from here. Having lived in Florida I'd rate your risk as much higher than here, yet I always carry when leaving this area. Carry permits are easy to get, are good for 5yrs and have reciprocity rights in most states. Get yourself some good training so you don't hurt yourself or somebody else, but be in a position to protect. You're going to stand out from the locals, which in some places makes you a target.

oc

I've been thinking about this more and more. I'm a responsible adult and now that my daughter is almost 18 and going off to college I wouldn't have a child to be concerned with. I'd keep it locked in my safe though. I have an alarm system and German Shepherd so I don't feel the need to have it on the night stand.

nrc, didn't you contemplate getting a gun after your mom in law was robbed? i forgot the decision on that one.

meth - you're right! Big difference from my first wife who would instigate, then push me into the biggest guy. I think she thought it was funny.:D

Ankf00
01-14-08, 05:52 PM
I'm a believer in concealed carry permits. Getting a flat (car or bike) in the middle of nowhere makes one an easy target. No reason to carry in our town, but there's a lot of open country with barely traveled roads any way you head from here.
oc

I was thinking that, especially after having a tire blow out on I-45 in the middle of nowhere and the wrecker that took me to town said she just got done w/ someone who was robbed a couple miles up the highway. I decided on bear mace, less chance of me putting one in my own face :gomer:

STD
01-14-08, 06:23 PM
Got to watch out for all those Floyd R. Turbo types and whatever else these days. :thumbup:

Getting one of these for each member of the family. We do a lot of biking as well as walking. Never know when you might need to use it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/08/technology.gadgets

stroker
01-14-08, 06:51 PM
If you'd had an AK or an AR on your rear window rifle rack like you're SUPPOSED TO, then he would never have given you any lip.

:cool:

trish
01-14-08, 06:54 PM
As some of you may recall recently relocated to FL. The Tampa suburbs to be exact. You may also recall that I used to live in DC where I commuted into Alexandria, DC, Fall Church and then Reston over 15 years. I was a professional. I could fill a hole where there wasn’t a hole without anyone hardly noticing. One of the tools of a professional commuter is the horn. Usually reserved to wake up cell phone users or the ladies who decide this would be a good time to put their makeup on. Honking was common, honking was normal. It was and I’m sure it still is, just a part of the suburb to city commute.

Yesterday my wife and I ran out to get some playoff necessities and while turning into the strip mall where the grocery store is I had to wait for a guy coming the other way who decided he was going to turn into the mall also but he wasn’t going to use a turn signal. No prob, 98% of Floridians don’t use turn signals. I turn in behind him and we head toward the grocery store, while passing the fast food place he decides he is hungry and slams on his brakes turns toward the hamburger joint but stops in what I assume was a moment of indecision. I give him a one second little blip of the horn just to let him know I was behind him. Immediately the door of his Expedition flings open and out comes a mountain of a man. 6’5”, easily 300lbs with both arms raised in the air in the universal ‘man’ sign language that says “you gotta a f’n problem?”.

I roll down my window as he approaches and he actually says “you gotta ‘ f’n problem?” (I thought to myself, “that’s kind of redundant, he’s already giving the universal man sign language for that” I then knew he wasn’t too bright). Now, I’m a normal sized guy, relatively fit but the last fight I was in was ’95 in a crazy bar fight where all I remember was a dozen drunk guys and two dozen fists in the air. I escaped with a bloody lip and bruised knuckles. However, the Irish blood in me gets to boilin’ pretty fast so I say to him “you drive like an f’n idiot”.

To which he said “get out of your car and do something about it”. Now I had been challenged. The consequences quickly playing out in my head. I can get out and fight a guy three times bigger than me or I can apologize so that he’ll leave and I can proceed on. I undo my seat belt and reach for the door handle when my wife told me in no uncertain terms, “you get out of this car I will leave you here”. I said to the guy who had heard my wife “you’re lucky she’s here” and I rolled my window up. He flicked me off and went back to his truck.

One would think that would be the end of the story but it didn’t end for another 30 minutes as my wife read me the riot act, chiding me for honking the horn. I have a real problem with that because I don’t believe that a little ‘toot’ of a honk should mean that you are faced with an act of violence. This isn’t the first time this has happened here in FL either. A very similar thing happened but with my dad driving. He honks at everyone for anything.
The non commuters (or as I like to call them ‘uneducated white trash) take it as a personal affront. So the lesson learned…when in the Floridian ‘burbs honking may be hazardous to your health.Luckily he didn't come at you with a weapon. People are carrying around alot of anger these days and are just waiting for someone to let loose on.

eiregosod
01-14-08, 07:35 PM
Aso-nd9UzGk

nrc
01-14-08, 08:25 PM
Aso-nd9UzGk

video no longer available...

eiregosod
01-14-08, 08:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aso-nd9UzGk

;)

Indy
01-14-08, 09:13 PM
When they are slow, I honk, but when they honk at me, they are *******s. :D

Gnam
01-15-08, 03:29 AM
Immediately the door of his Expedition flings open and out comes a mountain of a man. 6’5”, easily 300lbs with both arms raised in the air in the universal ‘man’ sign language that says “you gotta a f’n problem?”.

...I don’t believe that a little ‘toot’ of a honk should mean that you are faced with an act of violence.
You are correct. But not all people have the same worldview. :thuglife: :gomer:

I always figure they never learned the lesson that there's always somebody bigger, stronger, crazier out there. And who am I to shatter their fantasy world? They'll find out the hard way, guaranteed.

I never understood the tactics of getting out of your car to confront someone. While I'm still sitting in my two ton vehicle, you're now a 300 lb bag of crap on the street. Last I checked, car crushes crap. I win. :)

Also, they never close their door. What do they think is gonna happen when I drive through it? :rolleyes:

Warlock!
01-15-08, 09:08 AM
The only reason we have horns in NW Ohio is to scare deer off the road. I bet I haven't honked my horn (literally, not figuratively) in over a month.

Sean O'Gorman
01-15-08, 10:14 AM
My horn hasn't worked on 2 of my last 4 cars. I'm a big fan of the ALMS style flashing of the headlights at slower cars. :D

Stu
01-15-08, 11:56 AM
My horn hasn't worked on 2 of my last 4 cars. I'm a big fan of the ALMS style flashing of the headlights at slower cars. :D

big fan of that on the highway.

did that very recently in fact to a knob that cut me off in the fast lane and then proceeded to continue at 60mph while the cars in front pulled away. he wouldn't speed up so i passed on the right. :shakehead

dando
01-15-08, 12:49 PM
The only reason we have horns in NW Ohio is to scare deer off the road. I bet I haven't honked my horn (literally, not figuratively) in over a month.

Honking @ the Amish buggies is futile anyway. Besides using the horn would mean putting yer beer down. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
01-15-08, 12:53 PM
big fan of that on the highway.

did that very recently in fact to a knob that cut me off in the fast lane and then proceeded to continue at 60mph while the cars in front pulled away. he wouldn't speed up so i passed on the right. :shakehead

Unfortunately there isn't a law in oHIo restricting the left lane to faster traffic like there is in PA. :irked: If someone wants to drive in the left lane from Cleveburg to Cincy, they have every right to do so. :saywhat: The local fish wrap did a story on that this past summer. And I can tell you first hand that it makes a huge difference in PA on my way to NJ or back to oHIo. Usually, the only boneheads I find cruising along in the left lane are from oHIo. :shakehead

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-15-08, 12:53 PM
The only reason we have horns in NW Ohio is to scare deer off the road. I bet I haven't honked my horn (literally, not figuratively) in over a month. Same here, people don't honk their horns in CO either. When I visit my kids in Chicago, I am amazed that when you are in stop and go traffic on the Dan Ryan, that the guy behind you will honk if you don't move up 5 feet when the car in front of you moves up 5 feet. :gomer:

dando
01-15-08, 12:56 PM
Same here, people don't honk their horns in CO either.

Y'all are too busy smoking the wacky weed, yo. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Spicoli
01-15-08, 03:32 PM
We usually just run with the lights and sirens on. Everyone gets out of the way.

Andrew Longman
01-15-08, 04:49 PM
...is it worth it to get into a fight over some inconsiderate, idiot driver? I begrudgingly guess it isn't.

No.

However unlikely, having your ass kicked, head shot, or car keyed is not worth even tempting the random idiot. Your daughter deserves you around and time is too short to waste it at the auto body shop.

In NYC it is now a $500 fine for honking unless it is to avoid an accident, which is really what the horn is for. It is loud to work well as a warning. It doesn't work well for polite conversation.

An I'd advice against the gun, but for once I disagree with OC so I might be wrong.

Sean Malone
01-15-08, 05:00 PM
No.

However unlikely, having your ass kicked, head shot, or car keyed is not worth even tempting the random idiot. Your daughter deserves you around and time is too short to waste it at the auto body shop.

In NYC it is now a $500 fine for honking unless it is to avoid an accident, which is really what the horn is for. It is loud to work well as a warning. It doesn't work well for polite conversation.

An I'd advice against the gun, but for once I disagree with OC so I might be wrong.

Guns and hot headed Irishman don't mix. I saw that in The Departed. :) I did discuss it with my wife and surprisingly she ultimately left it up to me as she has developed a slight paranoia about FL. We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

My wife pointed out the same thing you did about the horn. I view it as a mechanism for communicating with your fellow drivers and for letting young hotties know that you'll be back in a minute to pick them up. Or is that a Mr Microphone? Anyway, the NY thing is to help stifle excess noise not just ‘altercations’, right? One would think the car companies would put a disclaimer in the manual or even on the steering wheel. In this law suit driven society I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried to sue because they got beet up for honking. Actually I’ll bet it’s been done.

Andrew Longman
01-15-08, 05:06 PM
Anyway, the NY thing is to help stifle excess noise not just ‘altercations’, right?

Both, in an attempt to reclaim some civility to Gotham City

And...

Your wife's paranoia about FL is well founded. When I would visit my bro their I was always shocked at the level of violence I would regularly find reported in the papers.

oddlycalm
01-15-08, 05:33 PM
An I'd advice against the gun, but for once I disagree with OC so I might be wrong. There is no right or wrong answer. I try to be informed by the situation and context, but in the end everyone has to make a decision that is comfortable for them. As I indicated I never carry when in the Portland area and the guns stay in the safe. When I leave it's a different story.

My decision on firearms is based on the experience of of being shot at twice, both times in remote areas, by bone-headed post-adolescents who were probably just bored. Stun guns and mace aren't deterrents to multiple armed creeps out where nobody is watching. It's a pure dominance issue and the creeps aren't looking to get hurt themselves. Any show of determined force, or returning fire if fired upon, will have them gone as fast as feet and vehicles will carry them.

BTW, as a lifelong recreational shooter I assumed that the required training class for the carry permit would be a waste of time. Wrong. The woman that taught the class was absolutely excellent whether one was a novice or experienced.

In any case, many years down the line the various state carry programs have been a big success. Millions of permits issued and near zero incidents of a permit holder doing a crime. Since simple non-concealment is grounds for a charge of felony menacing, that's saying quite a lot. If I sound like an NRA fanboy, I'm not. Most of this was done in spite of the power junkies at the NRA and their gun lobby sponsors.

oc

grungex
01-15-08, 06:34 PM
Since simple non-concealment is grounds for a charge of felony menacing, that's saying quite a lot.

:confused: Could you clarify the meaning of this?

Methanolandbrats
01-15-08, 06:50 PM
:confused: Could you clarify the meaning of this? having a gun visible in public they can charge you with a crime.

grungex
01-15-08, 06:52 PM
But isn't carrying a concealed weapon illegal in most places?

G.
01-15-08, 07:00 PM
But isn't carrying a concealed weapon illegal in most places?No. Just Illinois.

(and a few others)

Ankf00
01-15-08, 07:01 PM
But isn't carrying a concealed weapon illegal in most places?

Around 40 states have shall-issue laws.

oddlycalm
01-15-08, 07:13 PM
But isn't carrying a concealed weapon illegal in most places? In a word, no. As of now 39 states have "shall issue" laws meanin that officials may not arbitrarily deny a request from a qualified applicant. Nine other states are "may issue" meaning they require the applicant to demonstrate a specific need. Only Illinois, Wisconsin and DC have no provision for permits at all.

If you do have a permit and you inadvertantly let someone get a glance at your iron and they report you it's a really big deal. Potential felony menacing if they feel like it. Millions of permits have been issued with the incidence of problems near zero.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry)

oc

Edit - One further reason for having a permit is that it allows you to buy without any waiting period since your background check is already completed.

G.
01-15-08, 07:14 PM
http://www.moccw.org/images/ccwmap.gif

cameraman
01-15-08, 07:20 PM
having a gun visible in public they can charge you with a crime.

Not in Utah. If you have a CCP you can open carry your gun wherever you want, with the exception of Federal Government offices. There is at least one asshat in this town who actually wears a pearl handled six-shooter in a cowboy style holster wherever he goes. Nothing says safety to me more than a wanna be Wyatt Earp and his gun in the 7-11.:shakehead

TravelGal
01-15-08, 08:03 PM
Both, in an attempt to reclaim some civility to Gotham City

And...

Your wife's paranoia about FL is well founded. When I would visit my bro their I was always shocked at the level of violence I would regularly find reported in the papers.

Orlando, home of We'reDizzyWorld, is one of the most crime-ridden cities in America. Amazing.

Why did you move to PaperTardia anyway?

That city sucks wang.:yuck:

Hey, don't lump Tampa in with Paperdon. Tampa is, in fact, quite a nice place to live. My mom's been there for more than 40 years.

Sean, let's see if we can hook up on my next visit. I promise not to honk the horn in front of your house or place of bidness. BTW, in the interminable email jokes that float around, honking your horn in LA is said to be a shooting offense. It is simply not done. We are MUCH to laid back, dammit.

Ankf00
01-15-08, 09:12 PM
Sean, let's see if we can hook up on my next visit. ...speaking of travel. :D ppl been telling me PdC == less spendy + no 18 yo's. holla back, yo! :)

OW
01-15-08, 09:12 PM
http://www.moccw.org/images/ccwmap.gif

Darn Chicago.... And Milwaukee.... They've ruined everything

Ankf00
01-15-08, 09:15 PM

wait a sec, if I can't carry, how the hell am I supposed to get to US Cellular Field in 1 piece? :gomer:

Indy
01-15-08, 09:37 PM
Be careful with these laws. They vary by state, and they are usually not particularly intuitive.

Good links here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Sean O'Gorman
01-15-08, 10:08 PM
wait a sec, if I can't carry, how the hell am I supposed to get to US Cellular Field in 1 piece? :gomer:

Every Monday is brass knuckles night at US Cellular, you'll be fine.

stroker
01-15-08, 11:30 PM

Milwaukee? Milwaukee? I think the People's Republic of Madison had more to do with it.

OW
01-15-08, 11:41 PM
Ok if its not Milwaukee.... Then its...Springfield..Ill. ;)

stroker
01-16-08, 10:22 AM
Ok if its not Milwaukee.... Then its...Springfield..Ill. ;)

<JonLovitz> Yeah, that's right. It's the, the... FIBs! The FIBs did it!

TravelGal
01-16-08, 03:53 PM
...speaking of travel. :D ppl been telling me PdC == less spendy + no 18 yo's. holla back, yo! :)

Um, yes, sorry about that. Got caught up in a "big" software installation. Don't know why they tell me that I should download all this stuff prior to them telling me how to download it so I have to redownload it and not to download the update (which pops up automatically) so they can "walk me through it." Sheesh. I guess they thought I should get my money's worth but I would have rather have had the time back. Should be an email in yer box in about 20 mins. If not, it's in the spamola. See forthcoming questions about that in another thread. /end hijack

Ankf00
01-16-08, 04:18 PM
computers == too much of a headache. ugh.

Andrew Longman
01-17-08, 02:16 PM
Every Monday is brass knuckles night at US Cellular, you'll be fine.

Reminds me of Imus in the old days announcing, "It is handgun night out at the stadium tonight... Weather; dark tonight, clouds moving from left to right..." :D

About that time IU was at a Yankees day game and a pregnant woman a section over from me was hit by a bullet, presumably fired outside the stadium because no one heard it. Not funny, but she and baby survived.

Andrew Longman
01-17-08, 02:23 PM
having a gun visible in public they can charge you with a crime.

Help me understand the logic of that. Is like having to wear pants in that seeing certain things disturbs some people?

oddlycalm
01-17-08, 04:33 PM
Help me understand the logic of that.
If you scare people by displaying a weapon, even by accident, you can be held accountable in most states. It's called felony menacing. The sole purpose for concealed carry is to protect, not to brandish and intimidate.

oc

Sean Malone
01-17-08, 04:44 PM
If you scare people by displaying a weapon, even by accident, you can be held accountable in most states. It's called felony menacing. The sole purpose for concealed carry is to protect, not to brandish and intimidate.

oc

I assume that all goes out the window if you are confronted? Do you have to do like the black belt karate guys in old movies and warn the aggressor that you are have a concealed weapon and you carry a permit for it?

Are you allowed to tell the aggressor that you have a gun and a bullet with their name on it?
Always have a witness (that sides with you). :)

Dirk Diggler
01-17-08, 05:14 PM
I assume that all goes out the window if you are confronted? Do you have to do like the black belt karate guys in old movies and warn the aggressor that you are have a concealed weapon and you carry a permit for it?

I think it's more like when Indiana Jones gets tired of using his whip.

oddlycalm
01-17-08, 05:49 PM

Are you allowed to tell the aggressor that you have a gun and a bullet with their name on it?
Always have a witness (that sides with you). :) Yes, it does. Fortunately there is no shortage of classes in your area which will make all these issues clear.

oc

Andrew Longman
01-17-08, 05:56 PM

oc

A holstered weapon scares people? Walking around, weapon in hand, I can see that as threatening, but OK.

In my case I'm not thrilled by the notion of lots a people walking around with guns so I guess I'd rather not see them and know about it. :gomer:

Ankf00
01-17-08, 05:58 PM
In my case I'm not thrilled by the notion of lots a people walking around with guns so I guess I'd rather not see them and know about it. :gomer:

Guess that settles it, I'm getting my carry permit. :gomer: Oddlycalm: any recs on something light and convenient for when I'm backpacking hut to hut? Or if I'm ever in Jersey? :D

oddlycalm
01-17-08, 10:17 PM
Guess that settles it, I'm getting my carry permit. :gomer: Oddlycalm: any recs on something light and convenient for when I'm backpacking hut to hut? Guns are like cameras with range, capacity and function bearing a direct relationship to size. They are a PITA to lug around on a regular basis so you have to discover what your pain threshold is. You also need to talk with someone about effective carry strategies or you'll never take it twice.

Beyond that it's like asking for a recommendation on underwear or chairs; everyone likes something different. Most commercial ranges have a whole raft of rentals so you can basically try everything before you buy.

For vehicle carry I like the mid-sized autos like the Glock 23 or similar. Plenty of capacity and they shoot well. Around 30oz loaded.

I like the S&W 642 Airweight hammerless for pocket carry. They only carry 5 rounds of .38+P and aren't accurate beyond 25ft., but like pocket cameras you're more likely to actually have the thing when you need it.

oc

cameraman
01-18-08, 12:52 PM
I like the S&W 642 Airweight hammerless for pocket carry. They only carry 5 rounds of .38+P and aren't accurate beyond 25ft., but like pocket cameras you're more likely to actually have the thing when you need it. I think the idea of those is that you most likely will never need to fire it. Just pointing it ought to be enough dissuasion.

http://www.snubnose.info/images/Model_642_10_450.jpg

oddlycalm
01-18-08, 04:40 PM
I think the idea of those is that you most likely will never need to fire it. Just pointing it ought to be enough dissuasion. Brandishing may work in a few situations but I'd not want to bet my life, or those of my family, on it.

A lot of snubbies do see use by both cops and civilians. The .38+P has decent power and the titanium Airweight version comes in .357 magnum, so while they are close range pieces they aren't just for show. Accuracy takes some practice but I can group well from 25ft. with mine every time out.

It takes some practice to get to that point and the best bet with the airweights is to get one with a second one with an all steel frame to practice with so your carry piece with the alloy frame doesn't loosen up from range use.

oc

eiregosod
01-18-08, 04:42 PM
if ya going to carry a gun,one better be prepared to use it or it will be used on you.

Ankf00
01-18-08, 04:57 PM
if ya going to carry a gun,one better be prepared to use it or it will be used on you.

no worries, just pretend the other guy is an okie, or a paki, or in your case a brit :)

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 05:05 PM
Hammerless? How does that work? Just curious.

coolhand
01-18-08, 05:05 PM
Honking around LA can be dangerous because any random beater car driving around could have some moron gang bangers or tough guys.

I really hate the types who are so insecure they have to start a confrontation when getting honked at. It bothers me when I am honked at but what is the point in wasting time telling someone you will never see again that you did not appreciate the honk?

cameraman
01-18-08, 05:07 PM
Brandishing works 99.9% of the time. The lack of daily reports of ccp carriers involved in gun battles proves that point. You have to be willing to use the gun otherwise there is no point in owning it but it is also very important to remember that most police officers go for years without firing a round in anger. Also the vast majority of hand gun owners never practice and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn to save their lives.

cameraman
01-18-08, 05:09 PM
Hammerless? How does that work? Just curious.

It is often called hammerless which is a misnomer of sorts because it actually does have a hammer; its just completely enclosed within the frame, making the revolver double action only.

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 05:35 PM
Brandishing works 99.9% of the time.

I guess I'm .1%er.

When I was about 23 I was working for a marketing company distributing Like Cola (remember that? 1st decaffinated cola. Made by 7Up) in San Bernardino.

I had crews of low lifes load up their cars with soda and head out door to door. And I had other supposedly more reliable low lifes going out and checking to make sure they didn't just sell or dump the samples. I did my best to convince everyone that I had magic powers to catch their ass if they ripped me off.

This one old fart "supervisor" given to me by the home office was convinced these two cheech and chong types were ripping me off. Every day he would complain and I would check and I couldn't find a thing suspicious (and I was actually pretty good at catching people). I was convinced the old fart was just trying to look good so the home office would hire him next time we were in town.

Anyway one day he complains about them in front of them and they went off yelling. Nothing physical, just yelling. I get between them with my back to the fart when Cheech says, Man, look what the big man has!". I just know what he's talking about.

I turn around and he's got this silver 45 magnum with a long barrel. He sticks it in my gut and says if I don't do something about these guys he will. I'm now so furious with this guy for bringing in a gun to my jobsite and threatening me with it that I push the gun aside, push him to the door and scream at him to get off the property and never come back. Screw him.

About an hour later, after I get all the crews on the road, I'm sitting in a HoJos eating breakfast and I suddenly can't stop shaking. It took that long to stop being mad and realize I could have been shot.

That was a fun job.

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 05:36 PM
It is often called hammerless which is a misnomer of sorts because it actually does have a hammer; its just completely enclosed within the frame, making the revolver double action only.

I take that's a safety feature

Sean Malone
01-18-08, 05:42 PM
I guess I'm .1%er.

When I was about 23 I was working for a marketing company distributing Like Cola (remember that? 1st decaffinated cola. Made by 7Up) in San Bernardino.

I had crews of low lifes load up their cars with soda and head out door to door. And I had other supposedly more reliable low lifes going out and checking to make sure they didn't just sell or dump the samples. I did my best to convince everyone that I had magic powers to catch their ass if they ripped me off.

This one old fart "supervisor" given to me by the home office was convinced these two cheech and chong types were ripping me off. Every day he would complain and I would check and I could find a thing suspicious (and I was actually pretty good at catching people). I was convinced the old fart was just trying to look good so the home office would hire him next time we were in town.

Anyway one day he complains about them in front of them and they went off yelling. Nothing physical, just yelling. I get between them with my back to the fart when Cheech says, Man, look what the big man has!". I just know what he's talking about.

I turn around and he's got this silver 45 magnum with a long barrel. He sticks it in my gut and says if I don't do something about these guys he will. I'm now so furious with this guy for bringing in a gun to my jobsite and threatening me with it that I push the gun aside, push him to the door and scream at him to get off the property and never come back. Screw him.

About an hour later, after I get all the crews on the road, I'm sitting in a HoJos eating breakfast and I suddenly can't stop shaking. It took that long to stop being mad and realize I could have been shot.

That was a fun job.

That dude should have been sitting in jail.

late 80's early '90's - I have forgotten half of the times some idiot at a party would try scaring someone. Usually it involved a girl. Practically a weekend occurrence. Everyone would bail and resume the party at the next persons house whose parents were gone.

Ankf00
01-18-08, 05:49 PM
and they call my generation the ****ed up one. you farts are a bunch of certified delinquents! :p

cameraman
01-18-08, 05:57 PM
I guess I'm .1%er.

This one old fart "supervisor" given to me by the home office was convinced these two cheech and chong types were ripping me off. Every day he would complain and I would check and I could find a thing suspicious (and I was actually pretty good at catching people). I was convinced the old fart was just trying to look good so the home office would hire him next time we were in town.

That was a fun job.

Hmmm. I was referring to armed individuals who are not abject morons. He wasn't brandishing it at you in particular, you were just in the way:eek:

Andrew Longman
01-18-08, 06:22 PM
and they call my generation the ****ed up one. you farts are a bunch of certified delinquents! :p

That was some job. I was arrested the first day on the job in Plainfield, NJ when one of my guys went into a house and beat a housewife with a ball peen hammer. Fortunately a neighbor saw him enter the house and called the cops.

I was extorted bribes from cops. Cost me 10 cases of detergent in Chicago and 20 cases of cigarettes in Buffalo.

I saved the marriage of a laid off steelworker in Wheeling, WV (too long story)

I had a crew dump a case of detergent into downtown park fountain and made it look like an overflowing washing machine on steroids.

I spent two months living on the corner of Rush and Division in Chicago spending every night on a stool in some club and every day dodging cops, N@zis and gangs with my crews on the South Side.

I had an absolutely beautiful brunette model working for me in Buffalo insist, no demand, that I... well I won't go there.

I gave out hats and cigarettes at a Hartford Whalers game. There was a hat trick and all the giveaway hats wound up on the ice. A few days later the roof collapsed from snow.

I spent nearly an entire summer in Tulsa giving away Bright cigarettes (remember those peppermint crap). There was another company giving away Kools and my job was to chase them around and one up them. That was the job of the guy from the other company too. We had a lot of fun together screwing our companies.

I did truck pulls and rodeos and jazz concerts.

I always thought it would make a good movie. Call it Free Sample and have Bill Murray play the lead. :gomer:

Spicoli
01-19-08, 10:53 AM
whining about almost being shot?:gomer:

next time we nook up, i 'l show you my scars where i was stabbed 3 times and lived. i'm not crazy by choice, jeebus made me this way.

and yes, tony george was behind it.

Sean Malone
01-19-08, 11:31 AM
whining about almost being shot?:gomer:

next time we nook up, i 'l show you my scars where i was stabbed 3 times and lived. i'm not crazy by choice, jeebus made me this way.

and yes, tony george was behind it.

The ol' "let me show you my scars" bit? That only works on the bar chicks in Indy.:D

Spicoli
01-19-08, 12:02 PM
The ol' "let me show you my scars" bit? That only works on the bar chicks in Indy.:D

well, i got that going for me. :D

G.
01-19-08, 12:57 PM
i was stabbed 3 times and lived.
Link?

:p

Spicoli
01-19-08, 06:42 PM
Link?

:p

I can show you the bill for $26,000 I got from Methodist Hospital. :thumbup:

dando
01-19-08, 06:51 PM
I can show you the bill for $26,000 I got from Methodist Hospital. :thumbup:

Damn. Penial implants co$t more than I thought. :gomer:

:runs:

;)

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-20-08, 04:09 AM
I take that's a safety feature
It's so the spur of the hammer doesn't get hung up on your clothes when you pull it out of your pocket. That's what makes it a pocket piece as opposed to a holster piece.

oc

opinionated ow
01-20-08, 05:11 AM
there is a simple way to solve your gun problem....have a government buy back like we did. Gun crime has practically fallen off the radar there is so little now.

emjaya
01-20-08, 08:54 AM
there is a simple way to solve your gun problem....have a government buy back like we did. Gun crime has practically fallen off the radar there is so little now.

It has? Knife crimes are up, though. Bloke needs a gun these days to walk the streets safely.

The gun buy-back, what a joke. :shakehead

I had inherited a Winchester 62? in 22lr from the old man when he died. Best offer I had for it was $40, the gun buy-back paid me $120 of taxpayer money for it. :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
01-20-08, 12:50 PM
"You call that a knife? This is a knife!"

TravelGal
01-20-08, 02:11 PM
"You call that a knife? This is a knife!"

:D Happy Australia Week to those in LA and NY!

Gnam
01-21-08, 03:13 AM
It has? Knife crimes are up, though. Bloke needs a gun these days to walk the streets safely.
Just hit him with your boomerang. Or unleash the fury of your fighting killer roo. ;)

emjaya
01-21-08, 10:01 AM
Just hit him with your boomerang. Or unleash the fury of your fighting killer roo. ;)

I fight dirty.

An old girl friend dragged me to a self-defence course years ago.

It was run by an ex army guy, he showed all these ladies (and me) every dirty trick in the book. Kicks to the groin, punches to the throat, fingers in the eyes, nothing was sacred. All designed to put the maximum amount of pain on your attacker to enable you to get away. Great stuff. :thumbup:

I had to give up the girl friend, she kept practising on me. :( :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
01-21-08, 11:42 AM
Your man license should be revoked if you really do kick men in the groin during a fight.

Stu
01-21-08, 12:09 PM
had a guy get super pissed at me this morning because i honked at him.

sure he cut me off as he pulled out of a parking lot
sure he drove 25 in a 35 when i was cruising along at 40
sure he was taking up 2 lanes because he turned so wide and then didnt pick one

but i was the a-hole cuz i honked :shakehead

TKGAngel
01-21-08, 12:18 PM
I was honked at yesterday because I didn't immediately stomp on my accelerator when the light changed on a snow-covered and slippery intersection. Excuse me for not wanting to slide into oncoming traffic.

It was run by an ex army guy, he showed all these ladies (and me) every dirty trick in the book. Kicks to the groin, punches to the throat, fingers in the eyes, nothing was sacred. All designed to put the maximum amount of pain on your attacker to enable you to get away. Great stuff. :thumbup:

I think some professional athletes took that class, too.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080111/capt.9f9b40004b604a2c92aeb2c5505276b7.sabres_senat ors_hockey_ottk103.jpg