PDA

View Full Version : Message Boards – Myth, Money, Membership

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 11:37 AM
There is a board I’ve been a member of since it debuted 3 years ago that is dedicated to owners of the same make of boat. It has 247 members but I think only about 8 people have ever posted anything and it’s usually just the mod, a guy in England and myself that post. Well, the mod informed us yesterday that the owner emailed him to say that due to the costs and lack of activity on the board, he is looking to sell. His asking price…$5,000.

The mod, a really nice fella, doesn’t want to see the board go away (he is a retired old sea dog that just wants to shoot the &^&* about boats and he doesn’t know the first thing about message boards i.e. how to make one, host costs etc.) so he is asking if $5K is to high of a price because he is thinking about paying it!!!. The English guy and myself immediately and emphatically told him that he needs to put the check book down and step away. It’s not worth 5 pennies let alone $5,000 dollars!

English guy said he knows of popular message boards where it is a full time, lucrative venture for the owners. I’m guessing the boards he is referring to have sponsor activates and high traffic and vast reputation. The cost of message boards or any website can get vague due due to reputation or predicted future value. I told him that as it stands right now I wouldn’t pay anymore than $100 for the domain name and personally I would just come up with a different one and start from scratch.

The board is built on PHPBB2 which is open source free software. I informed him of this (which he didn’t know) and also told him that it is the least robust board software. I’ve personally setup at least a dozen PHPBB’s which can be done in under 5 minutes.

It sounds like either the owner doesn’t understand what the thing is worth or more likely he is trying to sucker the mod into a quick 5K never to be heard from again.
Also the owner is thinking about introducing a $75 membership fee per to which you can guess what my reply was to that.

Us OC’ers are long time board members and of all the boards in our little corner of the internet, do any of them support their owner as a full time income. I’m guessing sillyponie probably has turned his into a full time venture. Have any of the others that anyone knows about?

I’m also a member of a motorcycle board also that has ~42,000 members with on average ~3,500 members logged in at any given second. It has sponsorship from two dozen aftermarket companies and they do monthly prize giveaways (great stuff too like a pair of Michelin Power Pilot tires which cost $300 or a $400 Arai helmet). They have a voluntary donation, for $10 a year you get a red R (it’s a gixxer board) on your name and access to the downloads forum where you can get scanned shop manuals (the manuals are about $35 + s/h on ebay). I’m guessing that could be a lucrative site.

I’m toying with the idea of telling the old sea dog I’ll make a message board for us and he can mod it and promote it (he said he wants to find sponsors). Heck, I have host space I don’t even use.

Spicoli
01-14-08, 11:51 AM
tell ghim you can do it all for 4k, take his money and run. :D

or you could always sell lanyards,,,,,:cry:

WickerBill
01-14-08, 11:56 AM
A highly-trafficked message forum is a very expensive proposition, due to the CPU and bandwidth costs it will incur. The big ones almost always have a membership scheme to help defray costs, even with dozens of banner/text ads all over the site.

I would think that ad revenue would have to be extremely high to defray the costs of the site *and* pay the owner enough to live on, or the membership / visitor level would need to be astronomical.

KLang
01-14-08, 11:59 AM
I'll bet AVSforum is at least self supporting if not profitable given the amount of advertising on display. I imagine they are the exception though.

Dirk Diggler
01-14-08, 11:59 AM
If there's only three of you, why don't you just exchange emails?

STD
01-14-08, 12:07 PM
^ Not enough Glitter?

WickerBill
01-14-08, 12:09 PM
I'll bet AVSforum is at least self supporting if not profitable given the amount of advertising on display. I imagine they are the exception though.

You might be right -- huge number of targeted advertisements plus huge amount of site traffic. However, that traffic probably costs them more than you think.

TKGAngel
01-14-08, 12:11 PM

Or start a blog?

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 12:19 PM

:)

Andrew Longman
01-14-08, 12:45 PM
My brother has run this political blog as his full time job for about 5 years and manages to pay his bills, barely.

http://www.boomantribune.com/

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 12:55 PM
My brother has run this political blog as his full time job for about 5 years and manages to pay his bills, barely.

http://www.boomantribune.com/

Maybe if his site covered something that people cared about he make more money. :D

Just kidding!!!!!!

I want to do that too!! I know, I'll make a message board and ask the three members I have to pay $75 for membership. Do you think they'd pay that everyday? OK, now I'm just getting stoopid.:)

eiregosod
01-14-08, 01:11 PM
you could always start a pr0n forum if you want to make big bucks.

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 01:13 PM

I've tried talking my wife into letting me do that numerous times to no avail.

Wives, geez!!!!!!!!;)

Rob
01-14-08, 01:49 PM
Yeah, instead of boats, they can discuss the little man in the boat.

Insomniac
01-14-08, 03:28 PM
I'd have to agree with most here. I can see it covering the expenses to host/run, but not really paying someone a good salary (say $50k/yr+). Those must be few and far between. Speaking from a purely forum only perspective.

TravelGal
01-14-08, 03:36 PM

No kidding! This has Yahoo Group written all over it.

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 03:45 PM

Yahoo Group? *austin powers voice* I'm a man baby!

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 04:34 PM

Now that I think about it, that probably is a good solution. It's free and can easily handle the few people that are currently interested. If it grows out of that than a stand alone message board may be in order.

Thanks T-Gal. I really like the Google products. Do you know if Google Groups is the same sort of thing as Yahoo Groups? i assume it is.

dando
01-14-08, 04:51 PM
Thanks T-Gal. I really like the Google products. Do you know if Google Groups is the same sort of thing as Yahoo Groups? i assume it is.

It is.

-Kevin

nissan gtp
01-14-08, 06:08 PM
http://www.invisionfree.com/ has really good easy free boards.

They have small ads that you can pay a nominal fee for ad removal

Ad Removal
Minimum Purchase: $5.00
Price: $0.15 per 1,000 page views.

Cam
01-14-08, 06:15 PM
http://www.freeforums.org/ :thumbup:

nrc
01-14-08, 08:20 PM
Ripoff. "Buy my site for $5000 and I'll tell you how to make money off of it..."

WickerBill
01-14-08, 08:42 PM
Yeah, nrc and RaceGrrl only paid me $4800 for this place.

;)

nrc
01-14-08, 09:07 PM
Yeah, nrc and RaceGrrl only paid me $4800 for this place.

;)
HA! The joke's on you sucker because we're holding out for ONE MILLION DOLLARS.