PDA

View Full Version : videocams

stroker
01-14-08, 11:33 AM
This has probably been addressed in other threads, but I'll try to keep it brief.

What with Little Miss Stroker's arrival the missus and I are looking at video cameras. I'm short on video background in the last 20 years since my TV job. What's the setup, between digital and tape? Any software dead-ends that would be a problem in sending DVD's to family, etc?

Sean Malone
01-14-08, 11:43 AM
This has probably been addressed in other threads, but I'll try to keep it brief.

What with Little Miss Stroker's arrival the missus and I are looking at video cameras. I'm short on video background in the last 20 years since my TV job. What's the setup, between digital and tape? Any software dead-ends that would be a problem in sending DVD's to family, etc?

My Canon uses mini-DV which is digital video tape. Some camera's actually burn the image to little mini DVD's which is very convenient when you want to send home movies of the kids to grandma. With the tape you need to download to your PC, edit the video if you want and then burn it on a DVD. If you want to really impress you can add a menu system (most camera manufactures include at least trial software that allows you to do this) and then grandma just pops it in her DVD player and it's just like a store bought DVD with a fancy splash startup and various themed menu designs.

cameraman
01-14-08, 02:36 PM
Keep in mind that those fancy new HD cameras make really nice but absolutely ginormous video files that severely strain the editing capabilities of the average home computer.

Personally I'd stick with tape. One scratch and that un-backed-up dvd is hosed.

Methanolandbrats
01-14-08, 03:13 PM
My Canon uses mini-DV which is digital video tape. Some camera's actually burn the image to little mini DVD's which is very convenient when you want to send home movies of the kids to grandma. With the tape you need to download to your PC, edit the video if you want and then burn it on a DVD. If you want to really impress you can add a menu system (most camera manufactures include at least trial software that allows you to do this) and then grandma just pops it in her DVD player and it's just like a store bought DVD with a fancy splash startup and various themed menu designs. Best way to go tape to DVD is this

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644494777 No PC required

Insomniac
01-14-08, 03:37 PM
Starting to see more hard drive video cameras now too. Those aren't so good when the hard drive is filled up and you need to film more video though. (But they do make you do something with the video you've recorded instead of setting it aside for later).