PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Nearburg: Racing Legend

nrc
01-13-08, 06:01 PM
Whenever people complain about today's ride buyers I remember Charlie. Charlie probably would have out-Shiggied Shiggy if he hadn't gotten out before he hurt himself or someone else.

In October, Mr. Nearburg, a Dallas oilman and professional racer in every sense of the word, went to the storied Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah as a 57-year-old rookie. He returned with two world records.

When Mr. Nearburg prepared to make his first assault on Bonneville, he was well-armed. A lifelong car and motorcycle enthusiast as well as a pilot, Mr. Nearburg holds a long, broad impressive racing résumé.

Five years ago, he finished fourth in his class and 12th overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona in a Mazda Kudzu Prototype. In 2000, he drove a Hummer to sixth in the Baja 2000. In 1997, he drove a radically fast Reynard/Cosworth in the Indy Car series, finishing 17th at Road America and 18th at Laguna Seca. In his first endurance race in 1996, he finished 10th in the 12 Hours of Sebring.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-AutosNearburg_13emp.ART0.State.Edition1.37379ea.ht ml

dando
01-13-08, 06:10 PM
This reminds me that the World's Fastest Indian is one. good. flick. :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

-Kevin

JT265
01-13-08, 06:40 PM
This reminds me that the World's Fastest Indian is one. good. flick. :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

-Kevin

Funny story. (Brings out the attention whore in me, as well as really off topic)

A good friend of mine worked in the transportation dept. on the production of that film, which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in Sept. '05.

Jack was asked to find 20 Indian motorcycles for the premier afterparty at some hotsy-totsy joint on Queen St. in Toronto, and he did. He invited us to the premier and the after party, and I just came from a funeral dressed in a jacket and slacks, so standing amongst my friends (who had all rode their bikes in) I stood out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, we were asked into the "private" dining area where Anthony Hopkins, the director and producers hung out as a thank you for showing up with the Indians.

When Anthony went to leave, he walked over to me (in the suit), shakes my hand and says....... "Thank you so much for setting all this up John!"

I gotta start washing that hand, it's getting kinda rank now! :yuck:

:laugh:

RHR_Fan
01-13-08, 07:40 PM
Charlie Nearburg is great. During the Road America weekend in '97 mom and I were walking the paddock. A few drivers were out signing autographs, including Charlie. We went up and asked him for his autograph. We then spoke for a few minutes, but he wanted to keep talking! He must have felt happy that fans actually came up to him!

Good times those were. AZ winning in the rain. And Arnd Meier not slapping mine and Tim's hand as he walked up hill. He slapped the hands of others.

~Nicole

eiregosod
01-13-08, 08:05 PM
I was just thinking of Charlie Nearburg the other day

:thumbup: :thumbup:

JohnHKart
01-15-08, 07:10 PM
Charlie Nearburg is great. During the Road America weekend in '97 mom and I were walking the paddock. A few drivers were out signing autographs, including Charlie. We went up and asked him for his autograph. We then spoke for a few minutes, but he wanted to keep talking! He must have felt happy that fans actually came up to him!

Good times those were. AZ winning in the rain. And Arnd Meier not slapping mine and Tim's hand as he walked up hill. He slapped the hands of others.

~Nicole

True, slow driver, but a great guy. I took a pic of him in front of his car in 97 at Laguna, and he made sure he stood there while I took it. He had a big smile. It was appreciated. Saw him doing some historic racing on the 2007 Monterey report on Speed I think.

John