PDA

View Full Version : Mexico City

WickerBill
01-11-08, 04:27 PM
I'm sitting in the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW, shooter!) airport awaiting the final leg of my trip back home to Indy. Just wanted to give a few travel tips / thoughts to anyone going to Mexico City as I just did.

1. They aren't kidding, not one bit, not even a SMIDGEN, when they say don't drink the water. That includes ice in your Diet Coke.

2. Ever been to Denver? Felt the altitude when you do the smallest physical task? Add 2000 feet and smog so dense it makes LA air seem like a Nebraska cornfield. If you're out of shape, as I am, breathing ain't easy, at least in the heart of downtown.

3. Do ... not ... drive. You will get in an accident, your adrenaline will go through the roof, you won't be able to communicate with the other driver (assuming you don't know Spanish), and you'll begin to breathe very heavily (see point 2)

4. Do not let the locals trick you into eating any of the following: Taco gusano (that'd be a worm taco), salsa de huevo (ant larvae salsa), or ternera cerebro (cow/calf brain). All are considered muy buena by the locals -- or at least they told me that. After I ate.

I have never been so happy to see a TGI Fridays in an airport in my life.

dando
01-11-08, 04:43 PM
1. They aren't kidding, not one bit, not even a SMIDGEN, when they say don't drink the water. That includes ice in your Diet Coke.

Same goes for India, yo. The rule is if it ain't sealed, don't drink it. :irked:

Have a safe trip home, WB.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
01-11-08, 04:45 PM
Because of their appetizers or because of their 2 for 1 happy hour? :D

My next door neighbor went to college in Mexico City and his daughter is considering it herself. he said it was his favorite place on earth. I thought that was rather strange, but i've never been. I'm scared of Mexico.

Ankf00
01-11-08, 04:54 PM
or ternera cerebro (cow/calf brain) nice.

Gnam
01-11-08, 05:00 PM
How'z the zoo? I'm curious how San Francisco's stacks up internationally. :gomer:

Polar Bear nearly escapes story (http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2008/01/11/chronicle/archive/2008/01/11/MNGQUDP11.html?tsp=1)

Separate zookeepers have told The Chronicle that the [polar bear], which weighs more than 600 pounds, nearly climbed over a wall of her exhibit after zoo officials pelted her with empty tranquilizer darts in a misguided effort to harass her into a night enclosure. The incident happened around 9 p.m. the night before last week's major storm. The bear's keepers were not called in to help, the sources said.

Ulu was forced back down the exhibit wall by officials who turned a fire hose on her, the sources said. She had never scaled the wall before, the sources said.

Dr. Corkski
01-11-08, 05:20 PM
4. Do not let the locals trick you into eating any of the following: Taco gusano (that'd be a worm taco), salsa de huevo (ant larvae salsa), or ternera cerebro (cow/calf brain). All are considered muy buena by the locals -- or at least they told me that. After I ate.Did their waiters wear pieces of flair on their uniform?

Dr. Corkski
01-11-08, 05:21 PM
Polar Bear nearly escapes story (http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2008/01/11/chronicle/archive/2008/01/11/MNGQUDP11.html?tsp=1)

Separate zookeepers have told The Chronicle that the [polar bear], which weighs more than 600 pounds, nearly climbed over a wall of her exhibit after zoo officials pelted her with empty tranquilizer darts in a misguided effort to harass her into a night enclosure. The incident happened around 9 p.m. the night before last week's major storm. The bear's keepers were not called in to help, the sources said.

Ulu was forced back down the exhibit wall by officials who turned a fire hose on her, the sources said. She had never scaled the wall before, the sources said.Should have used a slingshot. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-11-08, 06:01 PM
I have never been so happy to see a TGI Fridays in an airport in my life.

I've eaten in that TGIF many times. I don't like Dallas and felt pretty much the same way you do. :D

Actually, I've felt more like you sitting in LAX and SFO on trips back from Asia

Ankf00
01-11-08, 06:06 PM
I've eaten in that TGIF many times. I don't like Dallas and felt pretty much the same way you do. :D

That's the one in B terminal right? Those *****obblers always give me one of those tables right where you walk in w/ no room, so my bags are in the aisle and now in everyone's way.

Andrew Longman
01-11-08, 06:10 PM
That's the one in B terminal right? Those *****obblers always give me one of those tables right where you walk in w/ no room, so my bags are in the aisle and now in everyone's way.

Actually probably D or E depending on if I am flying AA or CO

Ankf00
01-11-08, 06:33 PM
E's the shittiest one w/ the generic sports bar, D's the revamped intl one. I think D, back when they had the craptastic train, circle from B to D, get off, TGIF right there.

dando
01-11-08, 06:50 PM

Profiling. Sue 'em. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-11-08, 06:51 PM
damn pakis

WickerBill
01-11-08, 11:02 PM
I'm home, thank God.

No, I ate at TGIF in terminal A, after getting through immigration, then customs (searched), then rechecking through security (searched). Decided to get closer to my gate before eating.

I wondered what happened to the TrAAin! Man that thing was horrible.

nrc
01-11-08, 11:17 PM
4. Do not let the locals trick you into eating any of the following: Taco gusano (that'd be a worm taco), salsa de huevo (ant larvae salsa), or ternera cerebro (cow/calf brain).
I'm pretty sure that gusano is Spanish for "Do not want!" And huevo or cerebro? No. Just no.

Sean O'Gorman
01-12-08, 01:05 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9620/pedroal1.jpg

Huevos?

Ankf00
01-12-08, 11:31 PM
I wondered what happened to the TrAAin! Man that thing was horrible.

have a speedy elevated tram now, thank god.

coolhand
01-13-08, 02:54 AM
Just got back from Los Cabos. The good thing there is that it was developed in the 1970s so the water is OK.

Still looks like a dump outside of the resorts.

KLang
01-13-08, 09:27 AM
Still looks like a dump outside of the resorts.

That is a good description of every place I've visited in Mexico. And I do like to vacation in Mexico.

coolhand
01-13-08, 03:18 PM
Even in the trendy down town areas there are nice restaurants and shopping centers built. However the hundred feet of sidewalk and roads are crumbled concrete and trash. Is it so corrupt down there that the local government pockets the money rather that upgrade basic infrastructure. Prices in Cabo are as expensive as anywhere right now.

Ankf00
01-13-08, 03:39 PM
doing cabo for the first time come march. it's a shame I don't golf :gomer:

coolhand
01-13-08, 06:37 PM
doing cabo for the first time come march. it's a shame I don't golf :gomer:

You will save $200 by not golfing in cabo. I live near a public golf course that is good as any and its just $11 for 9 holes. I have no desire to pay more to golf, don't like it too much anyhow.