PDA

View Full Version : When did you become a Champ Car/CART Fan?

Insomniac
01-10-08, 02:06 PM
Spicoli mentioned an interesting thing about when most people became fans of Champ Car/CART. It made me wonder when did you guys become fans? Please vote (it's a public poll).

I thought it would also be neat to see how you became a fan since there isn't much going on with CC right now. So, I'll start.

I became a fan in the early 90s. I can't really pinpoint a time. I didn't watch much TV (or movies) as a kid. We had an antenna, so the race would have to be on local TV for a chance to see it. Plus I'd need to be watching on a Sunday afternoon instead of playing with friends.

I remember things like Mansell spinning out on the pace lap on a cold day at Indy. Al Unser was the first driver I was a fan of and I followed him to Penske. And that became the first team I was a fan of. PT joined and I liked him immediately (I remember him going real low on a track recently paved and throwing up lime to pass someone). I remember all 3 Penske cars not making Indy. I would get the Sports section of the Sunday newspaper to get the Indy lineup and sit on the floor and keep track of who crashed out and what not.

I didn't even really know about the split for a couple years. I remember seeing the IRL race (I never really associated a name to racing (CART, IRL, F1, etc.). It was just racing to me. I liked the cars. I watched that race at Disney and wondered where all the cars/drivers were. It was most baffling during the Indy 500 and US 500. That's when I found where everybody went. I watched the US 500 over the Indy 500 (I'm not sure if it was on ESPN or on at the same time, but I did have cable by then). I only really learned about the split because of the Internet. I ended up watching CART because it had the stars and cars. I won't pretend it was because of TG and a hatred of the IRL.

I became a more knowledgeable race fan because of the Internet. I only knew one person in middle school who cared about racing and met one other person in college. NASCAR was the thing in WV and it had no appeal to me.

So that's how I found racing and stuck with CART.

Dirk Diggler
01-10-08, 02:20 PM
I remember things like Mansell spinning out on the pace lap on a cold day at Indy.

Do you?:confused:

Maybe you're thinking of Guerrero?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoL7vNKpgI

Now, Nigel's car getting dry humped by Vittolo's car in the pit entry, that was weird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8BA6kIcyA

G.
01-10-08, 02:28 PM
I don't like your poll. I'm a n00b fan, but it's still prior to the split.

There be some old farts on this board.

Me? About 93-94. Somewhere bout that time.

rabbit
01-10-08, 02:37 PM
My introduction to racing was the 1981 Indy 500 (I was 7) when Mario got robbed. I watched Indy every year after that and fell in love with it. I would race my bike in circles around our driveway, always passing Rick Mears or Al Unser or one of those guys on the final lap. Never once did I slow on the backstretch. ;)

Somewhere around '90, I became aware that there were other races, most notably Milwaukee. A couple years after that I was at my brother's house and Road America was on the tube. That was my first exposure to road-course racing. I followed it casually for a couple years, but I never knew when the races would be on or what channel they would be on, plus my parents didn't have cable.

Shortly after getting married and right before the '95 season, I found a copy of the season schedule with TV listings in a USA Today. I clipped it out and taped it to the fridge. I only missed one race that season (Miami) and taped all the others, watching them over and over. I still have most, if not all, of those tapes.

I took my dad to MIS for my first race in person, Scott Pruett's breathtaking win over Al Unser Jr. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs when all 28 turbochargers lit up as they screamed by our seats toward the green flag. :eek: :D :cool:

I was hooked and the rest, as they say, was history.

Andrew Longman
01-10-08, 02:38 PM
I became a fan as a 9 year old watching Mario win Indy.

Followed NASCAR and NHRA too, but Indy/champcars were the always the coolest.

First race I saw in person was at Pocono in the mid 70s. I was shocked at how big the place was, how loud the cars were and how fast the cars went.

Went to several races at Trenton too, but in those days it was hard to see a race because so little was on TV.

When CART was formed I knew nothing about the problems with IMS and I was angry that the owners would threaten to screw up the greatest race. In time, things settled down everything was getting better about the series. I could see more on TV and there were more races. I also started to see the benefits of owners running the series because the ruling parties in F1 and NASCAR seemed so arbitrary.

By the late eighties/early 90s I was really getting into it. I had the money and freedom to go to MIS and other races. More races on TV. Better stars. Several classic I500s.

When TG started the IRL I was as shocked and scared as I was in 79. But I thought I would initially give everyone the benefit of the doubt and figured someone would come to his senses. Then I watched WDW and and was thoroughly turned off. Watching the Dentist and nobodies try to qualify for Indy disgust me. When they rolled out the new chassis and engines in 97 I was ill.

But I have to say that with the internet and this place and 7G I would never have learned the depth of TGs arrogance and stupidity. :shakehead

And I would never had a clue of number of placefans and the depth of their reverence for IMS and all things Hulman in the Indy area.

Methanolandbrats
01-10-08, 02:39 PM
Early 80s, I think, memory is getting cloudy about that stuff.

Andrew Longman
01-10-08, 02:55 PM
I remember things like Mansell spinning out on the pace lap on a cold day at Indy.

Yes, that was Roberto from the pole in a Buick. Frickin cold day

You might be thinking of Mario. IIRC he crashed in T4 on a restart. Jeff Andretti crashed out too on cold tires and really messed up his feet. On John finished the race. Bad day for the Andrettis

Elmo T
01-10-08, 03:16 PM
First race I saw in person was at Pocono in the mid 70s. I was shocked at how big the place was, how loud the cars were and how fast the cars went.

Went to several races at Trenton too, but in those days it was hard to see a race because so little was on TV.

Never made it to Langhorne?

I remember watching "The 500" as a kid. I'd catch other races on TV, but finding them on TV was impossible.

My Dad was not a race fan so I never had the chance to go see one live - even though I grew up with Pocono, Trenton, Langhorne, Flemington, and Nazareth so close. :(

Spicoli
01-10-08, 03:31 PM
I was 4 days old in T2 in a basket in 1961 indy500. they gave me whiskey and i stfu.

i still hate that fat **** AJ.

Andrew Longman
01-10-08, 03:33 PM
Never made it to Langhorne?

No. I moved to this side of the state in 72.

My Dad was not a race fan so I never had the chance to go see one live - even though I grew up with Pocono, Trenton, Langhorne, Flemington, and Nazareth so close. :(

Mine either. My Dad would get his brother to take me to Englishtown once a year for my birthday.

Until I got my license, or my friends did, I'd have to sniff rides when I could. Saturday nights at Flemington, New Egypt, Wall and E Windsor were pretty spontanious things. Big races at Pocono and Trenton got put on the calender and months of saving and planning is what got me there.

Insomniac
01-10-08, 04:27 PM
Do you?:confused:

Maybe you're thinking of Guerrero?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoL7vNKpgI

Now, Nigel's car getting dry humped by Vittolo's car in the pit entry, that was weird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8BA6kIcyA

Yes, that was Roberto from the pole in a Buick. Frickin cold day

You might be thinking of Mario. IIRC he crashed in T4 on a restart. Jeff Andretti crashed out too on cold tires and really messed up his feet. On John finished the race. Bad day for the Andrettis

It was Guerrero. I had the events right, but not the driver. I wonder why I thought it was Mansell. He wasn't even in that race (look at all those American flags) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Indianapolis_500).

Insomniac
01-10-08, 04:30 PM
I don't like your poll. I'm a n00b fan, but it's still prior to the split.

Me? About 93-94. Somewhere bout that time.

I started the poll/thread after something Spicoli said about fans. I was wondering if anyone here has become a fan recently or were most of us fans during the heyday. People's stories can tell me about times way before me. :)

RHR_Fan
01-10-08, 04:35 PM
I'm one of the few post-split people.

My first memory of watching a race is in the early '96 season. Parents and Tim watched so I watched too. Maybe this is to my advantage since I don't remember the "good days," but to me there have always been two series. I only saw one Andretti and one Unser race. Foyt who? Only as a team owner in the irl. Mansell? Ex-F1 and ex-CART/Champ Car driver.

I'm glad I became a fan when I did. It'd sure be hard to recruit people now.

~Nicole

High Sided
01-10-08, 04:39 PM
when did i become a "cart" fan?

after the split, before then i was a ppg indycar fan. honestly i never even new of "cart" untill the split, now i know to much :shakehead

dando
01-10-08, 04:49 PM
It was Guerrero. I had the events right, but not the driver. I wonder why I thought it was Mansell. He wasn't even in that race (look at all those American flags) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Indianapolis_500).

The 1992 race. The replay that on E$PN Classic every May around 500 time.

I watched the 500 throughout the 70s...even listened to it on the radio when I couldn't watch it. Rooted like mad for AJ. Hate his fat guts now. I really became a C^RT fan after Booby won the 500 in '86 with the local Truesports team. First race I attended was the US 500, but my mom tells me that I went to the Indy time trials as a wee lil' one (prolly explains my hearing now). :)

-Kevin

TrueBrit
01-10-08, 05:36 PM
Ever since they ran at Silverstone and Brands Hatch in the late 1970's...

Man those turbos sounded so cools compared to the F-1 guys...

pchall
01-10-08, 05:38 PM

Accipiter
01-10-08, 06:36 PM
I grew up a NASCAR fan because of my Dad, and used to scoff at Indycars. I remeber having an argument with a kid one time about who the best drivers were and he would throw out names like Mears, Andretti, and Unser, but I wouldn't hear of anyone being placed above the likes of Petty, Allison, and my favorite, Bill Elliot. Well, in 1989 during the 25th anniversary of the Ford Mustang, Bill did a Trans Am race for Ford, and was pretty much an embarrassment, which was an eye-opener to me. So I started following Trans Am regularly, after all they were just road racing stock cars, Right? But after a short time, Trans AM shared a race weekend with CART, and the difference in lap times opened my eyes yet again. So I started following CART irregularly after that. But what really sewed it for me was seeing them race at Laguna Seca on TV. Seeing those cars go through the corkscrew just blew my mind, and I've been hooked ever since.

P.S. I followed Michael Andretti to F1 in '93, and since then it's been anything with 4 wheels on tarmac.

shaggy_socal
01-10-08, 06:48 PM
P.S. I followed Michael Andretti to F1 in '93, and since then it's been anything with 4 wheels on tarmac.

So I take it that you don't watch the IRL then? :)

I started watching Indy during the late 80's but I got hooked on CART in 92.
I had seen a couple of races in 1991, but 92 was the first season I really followed the series.

The cars looked much cooler with the road course wings.

SteveH
01-10-08, 06:50 PM
I was a fan pre-CART. In fact, I was very dubious of CART and the effect it would have on the sport. But that was when racing news was hard to get. Unlike now where we have tons of information available on the internet and even some of it is correct. :D

Methanolandbrats
01-10-08, 06:57 PM
I was a fan pre-CART. In fact, I was very dubious of CART and the effect it would have on the sport. But that was when racing news was hard to get. Unlike now where we have tons of information available on the internet and even some of it is correct. :D

I remember ancient times when only Monaco, Indy and the Daytona 500 were on TV. We would go to the local short track on friday or saturday to see more racing.

Accipiter
01-10-08, 07:06 PM
So I take it that you don't watch the IRL then? :)

:rofl: :laugh:

Yes, their wheels are too frequently off the tarmac.

OW
01-10-08, 09:04 PM
'64 - 8 years old...

Radio Only

sided with Cart though - ( purchased stock and all to help)

SteveH
01-10-08, 10:16 PM
I remember ancient times when only Monaco, Indy and the Daytona 500 were on TV. We would go to the local short track on friday or saturday to see more racing.

And Monaco was a week later on Wide World of Sports. Along with coverage of some other sport, I'm sure.

Bonus question: How many remember when ESPN produced the 30 minute highlight program of the previous CART race called Checkered Flag? Back when the races were broadcast live and it was so popular that there was a market for this program as well. It always was ran immediately previous to the next race's broadcast.

We are soooooo far from that now. :banghead: TOney done fixerd her good.

Fixed, like both of my dogs. No balls. :flame:

miatanut
01-10-08, 10:28 PM
I think we would have some more interesting stuff if the poll didn't cut off with CART. There are a bunch of us that started watching during the USAC days, and a few really old farts from the AAA days.

Indy '70 was the first for me, on TV. It was a highlight show, really, several hours delayed. That was after three years of being a F1 snob.

Early on I started noticing the IMS management didn't seem to be playing straight, and that USAC seemed to be their puppet. As a result, the first time I read Gurney's White Paper, I thought it was an outstanding idea and rooted for the CARTistas from the very beginning, when their winning was far from certain.

Sean Malone
01-10-08, 10:28 PM
And Monaco was a week later on Wide World of Sports. Along with coverage of some other sport, I'm sure.

Bonus question: How many remember when ESPN produced the 30 minute highlight program of the previous CART race called Checkered Flag? Back when the races were broadcast live and it was so popular that there was a market for this program as well. It always was ran immediately previous to the next race's broadcast.

We are soooooo far from that now. :banghead: TOney done fixerd her good.

Fixed, like both of my dogs. No balls. :flame:

I remember. Only lasted 1 season if I recall and had a chick no one had ever seen before (or since) and a bald black guy if I recall.

nissan gtp
01-10-08, 10:55 PM
don't seem to be attracting too many new fans.

OW
01-10-08, 10:59 PM
At First WW of sports would play "it" 1 week later...(Saturday) . There was NO Way I could not listen to the Live Radio..(the previuos Monday) .so I just accepted "watching" what I knew.. 60s to 70s

Then It was tape delayed the same day... (ON memorial day)..for that ...I WAS able to stay away from the Radio....but could hardly wait. 70s to 80s

Guess back then there wasn't enough people...to Stay home, watch Live, AND STILL fill the "stadium".

Oh wait!!! :rofl: They are live now and don't fill today!!!

Sean Malone
01-10-08, 11:00 PM
don't seem to be attracting too many new fans.

They all post on CCF. there is a certain poster over there that converts them quick by making gifts for them and making big promises about the future of the series.

swift
01-10-08, 11:01 PM
1993. PPG IndyCar series. Mansell. Mario. Little Al. Emmo.
:sigh: :(

devilmaster
01-10-08, 11:18 PM
I started watchin as a young lad in 81/82.

and when it comes to all the crap that was the off-track stuff like franchise board, kph stock etc. etc. etc, i think of that old Seger line.... 'I wish i didn't know now, what i didn't know then'

Methanolandbrats
01-10-08, 11:27 PM
At First WW of sports would play "it" 1 week later...(Saturday) . There was NO Way I could not listen to the Live Radio..(the previuos Monday) .so I just accepted "watching" what I knew.. 60s to 70s

Then It was tape delayed the same day... (ON memorial day)..for that ...I WAS able to stay away from the Radio....but could hardly wait. 70s to 80s

Guess back then there wasn't enough people...to Stay home, watch Live, AND STILL fill the "stadium".

Oh wait!!! :rofl: They are live now and don't fill today!!!

In grade school, some time in the early 60s I was sent to the principal's office because I smuggled a transistor radio into school to listen to Indy practice. They caught me hiding behind some bushes on the playground. That little radio with a circular tuning dial and cheesy earplug is burned into my brain.

Insomniac
01-10-08, 11:30 PM
I think we would have some more interesting stuff if the poll didn't cut off with CART. There are a bunch of us that started watching during the USAC days, and a few really old farts from the AAA days.

Indy '70 was the first for me, on TV. It was a highlight show, really, several hours delayed. That was after three years of being a F1 snob.

Early on I started noticing the IMS management didn't seem to be playing straight, and that USAC seemed to be their puppet. As a result, the first time I read Gurney's White Paper, I thought it was an outstanding idea and rooted for the CARTistas from the very beginning, when their winning was far from certain.

The poll wasn't intended to make it seem as though this all started with CART. The first option is before 1996. I was curious about who became a fan after the split versus who was a fan before. I also thought it would be cool to see how others became fans. (Even old farts who were fans in the AAA/USAC days. ;))

OW
01-10-08, 11:40 PM
Quote from Methanolandbrats (sorry messed up the edit) """That little radio with a circular tuning dial and cheesy earplug is burned into my brain.""""

What a BEAUTIFUL BURN!!!

Even THEN!!!!..Just as Today..NO Real Race Cars have fenders....

Sean Malone
01-11-08, 12:09 AM
Quote from Methanolandbrats (sorry messed up the edit) """That little radio with a circular tuning dial and cheesy earplug is burned into my brain.""""

What a BEAUTIFUL BURN!!!

Even THEN!!!!..Just as Today..NO Real Race Cars have fenders....

...or mechanics named Bubba.

I had the ICR tee-shirt with that on the back. If I had a dollar for everytime some redneck in VA wanted to fight me at the bars, I'd be able to pay Allmindinger not to come back to Champ Car.

Dirk Diggler
01-11-08, 01:59 AM
They all post on CCF. there is a certain poster over there that converts them quick by making gifts for them and making big promises about the future of the series.

http://images.cafepress.com/product/26743653v1_240x240_Front_Color-Black.jpg

Spicoli
01-11-08, 05:45 AM
scoreboard.

not so good, huh? :\

robot9000
01-11-08, 10:05 AM
I followed the 500 in High School. Around 82/84 is when I started watching the actual series. Was an AJ fan (sad to see one so talented fade. Sadder to see them become a parody of themselves). Loved Mario, Emmo, the Unsers. My fave was Rahal right up until he showed his true colors.

My wife and I still play 'Marco Greko' with our daughter in the pool :) We're the only ones that get the joke.

I kinda Miss the days of Uncle Bobby in the booth. Seems not a race went by where Unka Bobby had to point out 'They ain't got any Tuuuubs in those tiirs. Not like on your road car." I'd crack up. Bobby, we haven't had tuuubs in our tiiirrrs since about 1965 dude :laugh:

Good Times.

KLang
01-11-08, 10:36 AM
I was introduced after Mario's Indy win. My dad was in the automotive tools biz and met Mario at a trade show. He brought me back a bunch of promotional materials and we started watching the races whenever we could catch them on TV. ABC Wide World of Sports mostly IIRC.

Attending the Des Moines Grand Prix got me interested in actually attending races in person. RA was my first CART race in person back in the early '90s. Went to Milwaukee the following year but attending an oval didn't really do it for me so I went back to RA the following year.

I've seen nothing since that matched the crowds and excitement of RA in the 90's. :flame:

Dirk Diggler
01-11-08, 11:10 AM
I kinda Miss the days of Uncle Bobby in the booth. Seems not a race went by where Unka Bobby had to point out 'They ain't got any Tuuuubs in those tiirs. Not like on your road car." I'd crack up. Bobby, we haven't had tuuubs in our tiiirrrs since about 1965 dude :laugh:

Good Times.

"They both have Chevalay engines, but Al has Valvoline, and Rick has Pennzoyyyl - so it's motor oil against motor oil!"

:saywhat:

Spicoli
01-11-08, 11:48 AM
I saw big Al at the Fie-hunnert last may. Them unsers know how to wear a gut.

rabbit
01-11-08, 01:59 PM
"They both have Chevalay engines, but Al has Valvoline, and Rick has Pennzoyyyl - so it's motor oil against motor oil!"

:saywhat:1995 Michigan 500
-onboard Scott Pruett-
Paul Page: "Now is that a blister we're seeing in the middle of Scott Pruett's right front tire, Bobby?"
Bobby: "Naw, that's just a little graining. If it was a blister, we'd really see it."
-moments later-
Jack Arute: "Scott Pruett just radioed to Pat Patrick that he has a major blister on the right front."
-back on board Pruett-
Bobby: "Now see that down the middle of the tire. That's a blister."

I miss those days. :rofl:

Andrew Longman
01-11-08, 02:32 PM
Bobby wasn't even the John Madden of motorsport announcing.

John belabors the obvious. Bobby was just a dunce.

For me he always was my most disliked Unser, especially after how he conducted himself after the 1980 race with Mario. He still is prickly and defensive on the point.

RHR_Fan
01-11-08, 04:15 PM
For me he always was my most disliked Unser, especially after how he conducted himself after the 1980 race with Mario. He still is prickly and defensive on the point.

What's the story?

nrc
01-11-08, 04:25 PM
We counted on Bobby for critical insights like "Adrian Fernandez is a Mexican from Mexico" and on the loose wheel on the track - "You don't want to hit that, that would be bad."

robot9000
01-11-08, 05:31 PM
Ha ha, and he said it with that earnest, serious as a Nuke strike, slightly horse delivery.

I can hear him as I read the posts :p (along with the normal voices, of course:cool: )

opinionated ow
01-11-08, 05:43 PM
The races used to be on super early on Tuesday mornings, so Dad used to tape them and we would watch them on Tuesday nights. I remember seeing bits of 1992 (when I was 5) and I remember seeing several races from 1993. I especially loved it because it was "grown-up sprintcar racing" (before my midget obsession took hold...) and it was also formula 1 style racing. for a young boy it was tops....it was damned good until about 2003...kept with it until 2007. just couldn't take it anymore. a car i find unattractive that is not in the spirit of champ car racing with more street circuits (and therefore less overtaking) than ever before and the poorest field in living memory. that was the final straw.

Andrew Longman
01-11-08, 05:48 PM
What's the story?

Sorry, it was 1981.

When official results were posted at 8 am the day after the race, Mario Andretti, who had finished second, was awarded the victory after Bobby Unser, whose car had finished first, was penalized one lap and dropped from the first place to second for passing other cars illegally under a yellow caution flag. Unser appealed the decision to the U.S. Auto Club and was upheld. A panel ruled the following October that the penalty was too severe and instead fined Unser $40,000, and restored the victory to him. Andretti was returned to second place.

http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/1981_Indianapolis_500

Jim McKay and Jackie Stewart immediatly knew it was a mistake. As a Unser hater I was screaming at the TV. But the USAC nimrods did nothing. Would have fixed it right there.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3106877876315072202&q=1981+Indy+500&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Good summary here. Bobby at his whiney best: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3106877876315072202&q=1981+Indy+500&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

dando
01-11-08, 07:09 PM
Jim McKay and Jackie Stewart immediatly knew it was a mistake. As a Unser hater I was screaming at the TV. But the USAC nimrods did nothing. Would have fixed it right there.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3106877876315072202&q=1981+Indy+500&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Good summary here. Bobby at his whiney best: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3106877876315072202&q=1981+Indy+500&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Same clip for both linkies?

-Kevin

Dirk Diggler
01-11-08, 08:59 PM
We counted on Bobby for critical insights like "Adrian Fernandez is a Mexican from Mexico" and on the loose wheel on the track - "You don't want to hit that, that would be bad."

Between that and Sam Posey pointing out how incredible it would be if Emerson Fittipaldi won the Indy 500, because no one with that many syllables in their name had ever done it.

That comment still haunts me. Yeah, I should let it go, but I can't. Still pisses me off. I'm just saying.

RTKar
01-11-08, 09:13 PM
I was 4 days old in T2 in a basket in 1961 indy500. they gave me whiskey and i stfu.

i still hate that fat **** AJ.

My first race not in diapers was '65. I saw a couple before that.

Spicoli
01-12-08, 12:12 AM
My first race not in diapers was '65. I saw a couple before that.

:D

JT265
01-12-08, 01:04 AM
When did you become a Champ Car/CART Fan?

Last Tuesday. I've got a new baseball cap with a Velcro strip so I can put my fave driver's logo on the front and everything!!!

<as soon as they announce some> :laugh:

manic mechanic
01-12-08, 01:05 AM
My "awakening" was the 1970 California 500 at Ontario, but there again, my family has a history at the Speedway (my grandfather wrenched on 3 winners between 1926 and 1938, and my mom raised hell on Gasoline Alley from '36 until '38 (when security asked may grampa to "rein her in") and in racing as a whole.

'Whoda thunk' back then that it would become my motorsport of choice (despite following/participating in others over the years).

When you grow up during the time of Jones, Unsers, Hill, Ruby, Hiss, Grant, Leonard, Mears', Sneva's, etc., you wonder where the love for the sport has gone... :rolleyes:

I'll stand with ChampCar until it no longer exists.

manic

Napoleon
01-12-08, 09:43 AM
I am 46 and was watching races on TV before I was 10 and went to my first professional race (which was a CART race in 83 or 84).

tllips
01-14-08, 12:08 PM
1993. PPG IndyCar series. Mansell. Mario. Little Al. Emmo.
:sigh: :(

This is when I started too. My Father in Law took me to Milwaukee and I was hooked. Prior to that, I kept tabs on Indy, but did not even know there was a season after Memorial Day.

pchall
01-14-08, 12:44 PM

Damned straight. Of course, when you go to your first champ car race at age 8 or so you can put on a lot of miles and still feel young. It was the July race on the road course at IRP in 1965.

Al Czervik
01-14-08, 02:01 PM

How about the "seeequental gearbox, jus like a mot'rcycle" or "Paul, it's sooo obvious..."

grungex
01-14-08, 11:10 PM
2000, Road America.

I did attend the 500 in 1980, though.

tantra
01-15-08, 12:37 AM
OK, I'll admit to it. I started going to OW racing in 1952.

Walt Faulkner, Duke Nalon, Troy Ruttman, Billie Vukovovich (the father), Jack McGrath, Freddie Agabashian, Sam Hanks, and Eddie Sachs were racing and winning then.

I have enjoyed nearly every race I've seen .... in the heat, cold, wind, rain, they were all good.

I've seen many victories and many deaths on the track, but it's still a great sport for those who feel the need and are willing to risk everything to go fast and chase their dreams.

See you at the races.

eiregosod
01-15-08, 12:38 AM
I started watching in 1993, got addicted with the 1995 season. During the 1996 season I didn't know too much about the split excpet that a bunch of nobodies were racing the Indy 500, so I said to myself why should I GAF about it then?

I still think that the unnecessary split was the stupidest thing ever to happen to open wheel racing. Splits damage sports, that phenomenon is not exclusive to open wheel racing.

JLMannin
01-15-08, 12:27 PM
I would have to say I became a fan in 1978. For as long as I can remember, my family listened to the 500 live on radio then watched it on tape delay (before ABC began televising the race live). 1978 was the first year I recall making an effort to listen to the whole race. In 1979 or 1980, I learned that "Indycars" raced anywhere else other than Indy (remarkable - coincides with the arrival of CART)

I was an ovals-only fan until 1990 when I watch the mid-ohio race on TV. I remember it being a very exciting race and not boring in the least. I was a huge fan until the Ganassi-Penske exit. I just gave uo at that point and just follow F1. My favorite races were all the Michigan 500 milers and the 1989 Indy 500. The 1990 500 is up there because I was always a Luyendyk fan, dating back to the Provemi Veal days.

I went to the 500 once (1994), Time trials four or five times, two races at Chicago Motor Speedway, the inagural race at Gateway, four of five races at Milwaukee (I saw Moseley win in the Pepsi Challenger - last win for a stock block), and two or three events at Elkart Lake.

I have lots of fond memories and miss being a fan.

John

ChampcarShark
01-15-08, 12:38 PM
Late 80s. Sure miss the real racing on different venues.