PDA

View Full Version : How to Survive a 47 Story Fall

Andrew Longman
01-08-08, 04:05 PM
I don't think this got too much play outside of NYC but about a month ago two brothers fell from the top of an apartment building while washing windows. One died instantly when he hit a fence (yuck), but the other survived and may make a full recovery.

Interestingly there is a little science to go with his luck.

http://www.slate.com/id/2181498

Sorry if this is a bit morbid, but we gotta talk about something now that the college football thread is winding down and we are not allowed to talk about NH.:)

dando
01-08-08, 05:19 PM
I don't think this got too much play outside of NYC but about a month ago two brothers fell from the top of an apartment building while washing windows. One died instantly when he hit a fence (yuck), but the other survived and may make a full recovery.

Interestingly there is a little science to go with his luck.

http://www.slate.com/id/2181498

Sorry if this is a bit morbid, but we gotta talk about something now that the college football thread is winding down and we are not allowed to talk about NH.:)

I saw this on CNN last week. Amazing. I'll keep this in mind for future reference. :)

-Kevin

Warlock!
01-09-08, 08:37 AM
From the story, it says one way to survive a major fall like that... "It also helps if something slows down your fall."

No kiddin'... you mean, like a parachute?

Even I know hitting something with more force is usually more detrimental than hitting something with less force... especially when the ground is part of the equation. :gomer:

Insomniac
01-09-08, 09:05 AM
How do you orient yourself flat and avoid having your head smash into the ground? I'm still not exactly clear how you should orient your body before impact.

Andrew Longman
01-09-08, 10:13 AM
How do you orient yourself flat and avoid having your head smash into the ground? I'm still not exactly clear how you should orient your body before impact.

The article says to land on your feet. You'll f up you pelvis but it is the best way to protect your head.

47 stories aside I think it is significant that it says you are more likely to survive a 3 story fall on your feet than a 1 story on your head.

Insomniac
01-09-08, 12:17 PM
The article says to land on your feet. You'll f up you pelvis but it is the best way to protect your head.

47 stories aside I think it is significant that it says you are more likely to survive a 3 story fall on your feet than a 1 story on your head.

I must've mis-read the last part. I though it said to lay flat. It does say to re-orient yourself to land on your feet.