PDA

View Full Version : "Crossroads"

indyfan31
01-06-08, 02:32 AM
My wife bought me Crossroads - 2007 for Christmas. O.M.G. !!!
What an unbelievable collection of talent. I'm only halfway through the first disc but consider me amazed; a few things come to mind:
I'm officially in love with Susan Tedeschi. A voice to rival Janis and licks that would make SRV do a double-take; and she's kinda easy on the eyes to boot.

I'd never heard of the Derek Trucks band, but I'll be looking for them now.

It looks like Johnny Winter can barely walk but he can still play, and was Trucks happy to be there or what?

Have you ever seen anyone so out-classed as Jimmy Vaughn on stage with Cray, Sumlin and King?

Lastly. How cool was it to see Clapton in the wings singing along to Anyday and taking snapshots of B.B. as he walked on stage.

nrc
01-06-08, 02:59 AM
I'm officially in love with Susan Tedeschi. A voice to rival Janis and licks that would make SRV do a double-take; and she's kinda easy on the eyes to boot.
I love Susan Tedeschi, but I've never heard her play anything SRV couldn't have played better behind his back. No disrespect to Tedeschi intended.

It looks like Johnny Winter can barely walk but he can still play, and was Trucks happy to be there or what?His last CD was so lethargic and lifeless that I've kind of put it out of my mind. I'd rather remember the fire and soul from Guitar Slinger and Third Degree.

datachicane
01-06-08, 03:38 AM
Trucks has been around for a while- saw him play with the Allman Bros a few years back, and (coincidentally enough) I'm listening to him right now dueling with Jimmy Herring and Vassar Clements in a 1999 Jazz is Dead show from Boulder.

BTW, Tedeschi is Mrs. Trucks.

indyfan31
01-06-08, 06:04 AM
BTW, Tedeschi is Mrs. Trucks.
That would explain why they're currently touring together.
Her lead started a little nervous, but she soon had the crowd on their feet.

Cam
01-06-08, 08:09 AM
You really don't want to get me started on this one. SRV was it... No 2 ways about it. Jimmy caught some of the talent but was basically a coattail draggin douchebag. KWS was the heir apparent and Shannon Kurfman was a close second.

I really think that ST stands alone with her talent. Been a fan of hers for years. JMHO.:)

Sean Malone
01-06-08, 10:37 AM
I thought this would by about this cool old movie.

idb2dUtTpuU

Ry Cooder dubbed the slide parts. Steve Via as the devils guitar player and he dubbed the Paginini inspired part.

Sean O'Gorman
01-06-08, 12:24 PM
I thought it would be the Britney Spears movie.

indyfan31
01-07-08, 10:50 AM
Well, I finished the first disc. I've heard Albert Lee play before but never seen his performances before. Now that's fast.

And Vince Gill has got to be one of Country music's most underrated guitar players (I blame those sappy songs he's famous for), and it looks like he and Eric went shopping for clothes together. :rofl:

devilmaster
01-07-08, 11:27 AM
i haven't seen the new one yet, but i love putting in the 04 crossroads and watching that.

my favorite parts:
james taylor doin steamroller with joe walsh out to jam....
buddy guy showing why he is the best on a jam of sweet home chicago
joe walsh doing his set with booker T and the MG's.
eric clapton's stretcher version of have you ever loved a woman

oddlycalm
01-07-08, 04:23 PM
And Vince Gill has got to be one of Country music's most underrated guitar players Actually, his guitar work got noticed clear back in his rock band days with "Pure Prairie League." He's also been on of the top session players and played backup for Emmylou Harris on tour. He's received "Instrumental Performance of The Year" awards on more than one occasion. The sappy sell-out commercial stuff came later and was his ticket to the big money. :thumdown:

oc

TrueBrit
01-07-08, 04:43 PM
I thought this would by about this cool old movie.

idb2dUtTpuU

Ry Cooder dubbed the slide parts. Steve Via as the devils guitar player and he dubbed the Paginini inspired part.

Me too....

Sean Malone
01-07-08, 04:49 PM
Actually, his guitar work got noticed clear back in his rock band days with "Pure Prairie League." He's also been on of the top session players and played backup for Emmylou Harris on tour. He's received "Instrumental Performance of The Year" awards on more than one occasion. The sappy sell-out commercial stuff came later and was his ticket to the big money. :thumdown:

oc

I've been dragged over the coals suggesting that professionals race car drivers grow a single bone of integrity when chasing NASCAR rides for big bucks. I mean jeez, platinum plated bathroom hardware is unusable compared to gold plating! You can't expect a musician or a race car driver to live practically in poverty in a ten bedroom house!!! (and three Ferrari's are a must!):)

oddlycalm
01-08-08, 04:55 PM
I've been dragged over the coals suggesting that professionals race car drivers grow a single bone of integrity when chasing NASCAR rides for big bucks. I mean jeez, platinum plated bathroom hardware is unusable compared to gold plating! You can't expect a musician or a race car driver to live practically in poverty in a ten bedroom house!!! (and three Ferrari's are a must!):) Agreed, this kind of sellout always brings to mind the 1968 Zappa recording 'We're Only In It For the Money' which in turn brings to mind a big.... :D

BTW, there's another 'Crossroads' that bears mention. CMT has a show of that name that ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime. They are repeating the show with Joss Stone & Leann Rimes in HD and it's worth an hour. Both have amazing voices.

oc

Sean Malone
01-08-08, 04:58 PM
Agreed, this kind of sellout always brings to mind the 1968 Zappa recording 'We're Only In It For the Money' which in turn brings to mind a big.... :D

BTW, there's another 'Crossroads' that bears mention. CMT has a show of that name that ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime. They are repeating the show with Joss Stone & Leann Rimes in HD and it's worth an hour. Both have amazing voices.

oc

Coincidentally, Steve Via, from the youtube video I posted in this thread was discovered by Zappa, played in his band for many years and is classically trained. I didn't know that back in the '80's when he was hotdoggin' it with the hair bands.

indyfan31
01-09-08, 11:57 AM
......BTW, there's another 'Crossroads' that bears mention. CMT has a show of that name that ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime. They are repeating the show with Joss Stone & Leann Rimes in HD and it's worth an hour. Both have amazing voices.

oc

I just saw a Biography of Leann Rimes, good grief that woman can sing. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
01-09-08, 03:22 PM
Coincidentally, Steve Via, from the youtube video I posted in this thread was discovered by Zappa, played in his band for many years and is classically trained. I didn't know that back in the '80's when he was hotdoggin' it with the hair bands. Yep, Steve Vai is a great player and was a good fit in his job in his role as stunt guitarist in Frank's band. It allowed Zappa the freedom to write stuff that he himself couldn't play (as surprising as that sounds). Hard to find a guy that can play like that and also read music (required, as all Zappa's tunes were scored). By the same token Vai was never again able to find a gig nearly as good as the one with Frank and, as you point out, had to play mind numbing crap with hair bands to pay the rent. I'm not a big fan of his solo work either as the endless riff is not my thing.

For those that do like competitive axemanship, here's a link to 1982 footage of Vai getting spanked by his boss.
Stevie's spanking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ORGWfJiTI)

oc