PDA

View Full Version : No more wet races for F1?

pchall
01-04-08, 10:25 AM
Some Euroweinies worried about racing in the wet w/o traction control.

Drivers move to quell wet weather fears

By By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Thursday, January 3rd 2008, 10:09 GMT

Leading Formula One drivers have opened talks with the FIA to discuss wet weather safety in 2008, Autosport has learned, amid renewed concerns about racing in the rain without the help of traction control.

Ahead of the launch of the new 2008 cars that have been designed to work without the help of electronic driver aids, a number of Grand Prix drivers have said they are worried about the safety issues of racing them in the rain.

The fears have led to the drivers opening dialogue with F1 race director Charlie Whiting about agreeing on a plan of action in the event of a wet race, so they are in agreement about when it is too dangerous for the event to proceed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64505

jonovision_man
01-04-08, 11:08 AM
Nobody is suggesting not racing in the rain.

jono

Methanolandbrats
01-04-08, 12:05 PM
Introduce the "bad hair day" flag. Put a picture of Coulthard on it. Charlie could display if from the scoring stand if conditions were deemed too damp to drive.

TrueBrit
01-04-08, 12:48 PM
What a bunch of g*d-damned whingers....Get in the fricking car and drive...that's what you're paid for you bunch of babies...if you don't want to do it, go and get your purse and your skirt and **** off out of here and I'll find someone else that WILL do it...probably better, and DEFINITELY cheaper...

:flame:

G.
01-04-08, 01:49 PM
The fears have led to the drivers opening dialogue with F1 race director Charlie Whiting about agreeing on a plan of action in the event of a wet race, so they are in agreement about when it is too dangerous for the event to proceed.When the cars float on the track, red flag it. Otherwise shut up and drive.

The fears have led to the drivers opening dialogue with F1 race director Charlie Whiting about agreeing on a plan of action in the event of a wet race, so they are in agreement about when it is too dangerous for the drivers to show just how badly they ran out of talent.

jonovision_man
01-04-08, 02:26 PM
Some Euroweinies worried about racing in the wet w/o traction control.

I wouldn't be so quick to call out the Europeans as whiners, they do way more racing in the rain than either American OW series... and look at NASCAR, a few drips and they throw the red.

I didn't hear a peep from the ChampCar Europeans when they were drenched in Montreal... they loved it, dominated.

jono

Insomniac
01-04-08, 03:02 PM
What else is new? The F1DA has been trying to make everything safer. They are tying to take the risk out of driving a car. I'm surprised they haven't asked Monaco to be removed from the schedule yet.

Does NASCAR even have grooved tires for their 2 (or whatever) road races. No one is going to run ovals wet conditions.

Andrew Longman
01-04-08, 04:03 PM
Does NASCAR even have grooved tires for their 2 (or whatever) road races. No one is going to run ovals wet conditions.

Nope.

Goodyear developed a rain tire a few years ago and road racing cars even had a wiper and defroster installed.

Never used them, though IIRC it rained for qualifying one of those years and they chose to qualify on points anyway.

After a few years Goodyear said the tires were too old to use and they didn't want the expense of making more and hauling them to the road races every year, so NASCAR cut it as a cost control move.

Methanolandbrats
01-04-08, 04:40 PM
Most NASCAR drivers can't get around a road course on a dry sunny day. That is why they don't run in the rain.

TrueBrit
01-04-08, 04:54 PM
Most NASCAR drivers can't get around a road course on a dry sunny day. That is why they don't run in the rain.

True Dat!!:rofl:

Dirk Diggler
01-04-08, 07:59 PM
No traction control? Boofugginhoo. These guys would have loved Monaco in the turbo era. A zillion horsepower with a delayed fuse - maybe it would kick in as you drove over a manhole cover, maybe it wouldn't. Exit the corner, aim for the center of the track, and try not to hit anything. And that's when it's dry.

Now granted, there ARE some times when, as Alain Prost put, "iztoodamwet."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZVknP1iW0

jonovision_man
01-04-08, 08:22 PM

Ameriweenies. :gomer:

jono

pchall
01-04-08, 10:12 PM
I think the F1 regulars are really worried about losing traction control. It would really embarrass the guys at the front of the grid if some 20 year old right out of F3 brought a bottom four car to the front in the wet.

Shades of Monaco in 1984 when Senna in the wretched Toleman-Hart was rapidly closing on Prost in the McLaren-TAG/Porsche and Bellof was gaining on both in the normally aspirated Tyrrel-Ford. The race was red flagged on the lap Senna would probably have passed Prost, and the finishing order -- Prost, Senna, Bellof -- was taken from the previous lap, though Bellof was laterDQ'd in post race tech for his Tyrrel being underweight.

The have grooved wets, but they were made something like 5 years ago. They also have a wiper system ready for installation. No lighting package that I know of, though.

They've had a couple of chances to run in the rain at Watkins Glen but NASCAR never told the teams to mount the rain tires or install the wiper.

After a few years Goodyear said the tires were too old to use and they didn't want the expense of making more and hauling them to the road races every year, so NASCAR cut it as a cost control move.

Nascar can't afford a new run of rain tires? Pbbtft! Goodyear execs probably would die for a chance to run a commercial for all weather tires featuring the taxicabs.

eiregosod
01-04-08, 11:20 PM
Nascar can't afford a new run of rain tires? Pbbtft! Goodyear execs probably would die for a chance to run a commercial for all weather tires featuring the taxicabs.

I'll take four.

Dirk Diggler
01-04-08, 11:39 PM
Crap - wrong button!

jonovision_man
01-05-08, 09:37 AM
I think the F1 regulars are really worried about losing traction control. It would really embarrass the guys at the front of the grid if some 20 year old right out of F3 brought a bottom four car to the front in the wet.

Rain is always an equalizer... even now, Button won his race in the rain in a really crappy Honda. I really really don't think that's what the concern is.

And don't forget - TC was illegal until only a few years ago, like 2000 or something. I don't recall the front of the grid being "embarrassed" before it was banned. :p Schuey was still at the front (the rainmeister) and everyone who was in the back pretty much stayed at the back.

jono

pchall
01-05-08, 04:05 PM
I don't recall the front of the grid being "embarrassed" before it was banned. jono

Well, if you have traction control the no young punk is going to take advantage of you in the rain. I guess you missed the point of my reminiscences of watching Monaco 1984 on the tube. Prost was being eaten alive by Senna in the crappiest turbo car on the grid. Bellof was making magic and faster than both in the rain in a Ford DFY powered car that optimistically put out 540HP when the TAG/Porsche was putting out 650+ in race trim. If the red flag hadn't been showed so quickly the two of them looked like they would have eaten Prost alive.

jonovision_man
01-05-08, 04:38 PM
I got your point... but do you think there's a Senna back there? Someone better than the Alonso's and Kimi's languishing at the back of the grid? I don't really think it's there right now.

jono

Rogue Leader
01-05-08, 09:14 PM
I got your point... but do you think there's a Senna back there? Someone better than the Alonso's and Kimi's languishing at the back of the grid? I don't really think it's there right now.

jono

Well hes not exactly languishing at the back but Kubica comes to mind... maybe Vettel who knows?

Methanolandbrats
01-05-08, 11:09 PM
This photo about sums it up
http://swedesavage42.tripod.com/dan-swede-lagunaseca400x176.JPG

Cam
01-06-08, 08:15 AM
This photo about sums it up
http://swedesavage42.tripod.com/dan-swede-lagunaseca400x176.JPG

Intardweb 101. Never link tripod hosted images. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-06-08, 10:00 AM
Intardweb 101. Never link tripod hosted images. :gomer:It was there when I went to bed..........do those fauckers do a night patrol?

cameraman
01-06-08, 12:24 PM
It was there when I went to bed..........do those fauckers do a night patrol?
It was in your cache, that is the only reason you could see it.

jonovision_man
01-06-08, 12:45 PM
Well hes not exactly languishing at the back but Kubica comes to mind... maybe Vettel who knows?

Maybe Vettel... he had pit stop strategy making him look pretty good though. :) Did well under the conditions to stay up there.

I'm surprised nobody brought up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RQZVusFSc

http://didier.andlauer.free.fr/F1/dossiers_f1/accidents/spa_1998.jpg

jono

pchall
01-07-08, 08:34 AM

jono

Did you know Senna was that good in 1984? Or even have heard of Bellof?

jonovision_man
01-07-08, 10:19 AM
Did you know Senna was that good in 1984? Or even have heard of Bellof?

In 1984 I was nine years old... so I probably didn't quite pick up on how good Senna was. ;)

http://www.feedmef1.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=9018

"This sport is dangerous anyway," the Finn, nicknamed within the sport as 'the iceman', said at the launch of Ferrari's new car for 2008, the F2008, in northern Italy on Sunday.

"You can have a big accident whether you've got traction control or not. It will make driving in the wet a bit trickier, but if you think it's too dangerous then you shouldn't be in the car at all," Raikkonen said.

jono

grungex
01-07-08, 05:46 PM
"It is more tricky for sure, you need to be awake more of the time," Raikkonen added.

:p

Methanolandbrats
01-07-08, 11:39 PM
Kimi would keep his foot down in a sleet storm, he's a real driver :thumbup: I don't remember what year it was, but early in his career a car blew up at the exit of Eau Rouge. There was a huge cloud of smoke and zero visibility. The data showed Kimi never lifted, just kept it planted through the cloud :eek:

Dirk Diggler
01-08-08, 02:19 AM
Kimi would keep his foot down in a sleet storm, he's a real driver :thumbup: I don't remember what year it was, but early in his career a car blew up at the exit of Eau Rouge. There was a huge cloud of smoke and zero visibility. The data showed Kimi never lifted, just kept it planted through the cloud :eek:

I like it that this man is World Champion.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BrGOIwxI

Methanolandbrats
01-08-08, 08:55 AM
I like it that this man is World Champion.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BrGOIwxI:laugh:

TrueBrit
01-08-08, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BrGOIwxI

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

"So obviously you'll have a lighter car on the grid"....:thumbup: