PDA

View Full Version : heat sealed plastic packaging

Ankf00
01-01-08, 08:11 PM
the most infuriating shiz ever. is there some trick to opening this junk that I'm not aware of, or are retail goods companies just conspiratorial, sadistic bastards?

nrc
01-01-08, 08:23 PM
the most infuriating shiz ever. is there some trick to opening this junk that I'm not aware of, or are retail goods companies just conspiratorial, sadistic bastards?

I don't try try to figure it out any more. As soon as I see that it's fused shut I grab a pair of sissors and cut it up. I'm looking forward to the first time I have to return something in a plastic bag along with the chopped up packaging.

STD
01-01-08, 09:42 PM
I purchased a pair of high grade surgical scissors just for them.
Good buy and they have kept their edge while cutting through miles of plastic packaging just like through soft butter.

Ankf00
01-01-08, 09:54 PM
there's only one solution here...

butane torch. :flame:

Sean Malone
01-01-08, 10:18 PM
I HATE FUSED PLASTIC PACKAGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame:

I rarely cut myself. I got a bleeder ripping into a fused plastic item a few years ago. I used to go at them with kitchen shears but now find a utility knife works better.

Methanolandbrats
01-01-08, 10:32 PM
Geezus, it's not Fort Knox. Cut the top with scissors. Squeeze the package to expand it and pull out the goods.

Sean Malone
01-01-08, 10:56 PM
Geezus, it's not Fort Knox. Cut the top with scissors. Squeeze the package to expand it and pull out the goods.

Hmmm. Me try next time. Me dumb man. :)

Ankf00
01-01-08, 11:04 PM
that'd be great and all if the item was sized small enough to simply "squeeze out."

the included batteries, sure, the head lamp, not so much :\ and even then, i'm more liable to slice my hand open cutting the top off than not. those mfr's.

devilmaster
01-01-08, 11:05 PM
I give the package and scissors to my 4 year old nephew, and tell him its a christmas gift.....

On another note, happily, my sister never asks me to babysit anymore.

;)

Insomniac
01-02-08, 12:18 AM
I'm surprised no one has sued yet. This may help: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006ACWEQ

cameraman
01-02-08, 01:01 AM
Got to say I've never had any trouble with the plastic packages.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/_cache/e8e019dacebf02ec7e13543ce894eb57.jpg

dando
01-02-08, 06:14 AM
Jeebus, do we hafta do everything for ya?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Package-Shark-Pro-DVD-CD-Plastic-Clamshell-Opener_W0QQitemZ320182407485QQcmdZViewItem

:)

I read an article recently about injuries from said clamshell packaging. And yes, I'm surprised nobody has sued yet. I'm not sure which is worse....clamshell packaging or the way toys are packaged with plastic-coated twist ties and the like. :saywhat: :flame:

EDIT: Here's the link do thingy:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2007/12/23/clamshell_packaging.ART_ART_12-23-07_D1_5J8RS4R.html?sid=101

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-02-08, 09:16 AM
the way toys are packaged with plastic-coated twist ties and the like. :saywhat: :flame:

-Kevin

I've created a special section of the "junk drawer" just for the extraction of kids' toys. My kit includes a small phillips head screw driver for the little battery doors, small wire cutters, a utility knife, a hefty pair of scissors, and enough batteries to light up NYC. Yet somehow we are always out of whatever battery the current toy requires. :rolleyes:

dando
01-02-08, 10:30 AM
I've created a special section of the "junk drawer" just for the extraction of kids' toys. My kit includes a small phillips head screw driver for the little battery doors, small wire cutters, a utility knife, a hefty pair of scissors, and enough batteries to light up NYC. Yet somehow we are always out of whatever battery the current toy requires. :rolleyes:

We use rechargeable batteries almost exclusively, so I usually just scavenge batteries from other toys that are then 'retired' for a bit. It just amazes me how much waste there is in packaging. Simply absurd. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-02-08, 10:32 AM
The packaging I really hate are the plastic tops of spray paint cans. Your're supposed to squeeze the sides to get them off.....never works. I just smash them against my workbench and they shatter. I've perfected my technique to the point it takes one hit and I never hurt the spray nozzle.:D

Easy
01-02-08, 12:24 PM

Its called an RF Clamshell and its stupidly expensive packaging material and a time intensive (relatively) automatic packaging process. Marketing people love it because it showcases the product and stands up on store shelves so unfortunately it is not going away.

Sean Malone
01-02-08, 12:27 PM
Its called an RF Clamshell and its stupidly expensive packaging material and a time intensive (relatively) automatic packaging process. Marketing people love it because it showcases the product and stands up on store shelves so unfortunately it is not going away.

I was guessing that it also is a deterrent to in store theft.

nrc
01-02-08, 12:32 PM
The biggest reason it's so popular is that it's difficult for thieves to get items out of the packaging in the store. Still, I've seen empty clamshells on the shelf with nothing but a small razor cut where the item used to be.

Insomniac
01-02-08, 01:33 PM

It's more expensive than cardboard?

Insomniac
01-02-08, 01:34 PM
The biggest reason it's so popular is that it's difficult for thieves to get items out of the packaging in the store.

It also makes it nice for displaying the product.

nrc
01-02-08, 02:13 PM
It also makes it nice for displaying the product.

But if it's just to display the product you can use a clamshell without heat fusing it. You still find that on cheaper items sometimes.

Insomniac
01-02-08, 04:28 PM
But if it's just to display the product you can use a clamshell without heat fusing it. You still find that on cheaper items sometimes.

That is true. The clear plastic makes it nice to display, the super sealing is for theft prevention. It must be successful since they've been using it for quite some time now.

STD
01-02-08, 06:45 PM
Hear that it comes in a plastic heat sealed clam shell package of it's own...

http://pyranna.com/

eiregosod
01-04-08, 09:09 PM
Hear that it comes in a plastic heat sealed clam shell package of it's own...

http://pyranna.com/

that's a bit ironic, how does one open the clam shell plastic packaging to get to the opener?

OW
01-06-08, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYUOh_k_QE

STD
01-06-08, 09:30 PM
Nice find OW. :D