PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Hockey Game

trish
01-01-08, 04:51 PM
Is this the first time the NHL has played an outdoor game? I just turned to NBC and noticed it snowing during a hockey game. I thought they were always held indoors.

dando
01-01-08, 05:01 PM
Is this the first time the NHL has played an outdoor game? I just turned to NBC and noticed it snowing during a hockey game. I thought they were always held indoors.

Second time ever for the NHL. They played the first one last year in Canuckistan (Edmonton). It's a gimmick that was started when UM played MSU outdoors a few years ago, and it's happened a few times since. The OSU played Wisky the season before last @ Lambeau Field.

-Kevin

RusH
01-01-08, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see a Lightning/Panther game outside.

Ice hockey in FL :shakehead

OW
01-01-08, 05:02 PM
Its something new they are trying.......
They are weighing "fan thrill" against filling their stadiums...

trish
01-01-08, 05:05 PM
I've never seen so many hockey fans in one place. It looks like the event is a sellout.

Andrew Longman
01-01-08, 05:05 PM
I understand 80,000 tix sold in 15 minutes. I think it is a success. I like the throwback uniforms

dando
01-01-08, 05:08 PM
I like the throwback uniforms

Anything is better than the dayglo slug unis the Sabres wear these days. :yuck: :saywhat:

-Kevin

RusH
01-01-08, 05:15 PM
Someone should email Champ Car, this looks like a good gimmick to copy

dando
01-01-08, 05:17 PM

Race in the snow? Didn't they try that @ Nazareth already? :gomer:

-Kevin

OW
01-01-08, 05:31 PM
Champ_Car_in_the_snow (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By800/20050311P_0001.jpg)

trish
01-01-08, 05:35 PM
What just happened? It's been a long time since I've watched hockey. Each sides got three tries to goal without any interference, except for the goalie of course.

OW
01-01-08, 05:37 PM
Its called a shoot out....

If they tie after three, then it goes on and on...until one team scores and the other does NOT answer up (Match it) per round

Ankf00
01-01-08, 05:40 PM

trish
01-01-08, 05:44 PM
So they don't let it stand at a tie anymore.

OW
01-01-08, 05:47 PM
Correct........College and AHL have done it for a while... I (Think) NHL started it last year

It's actually a Stat...
Each team gets a point for the tie, then the ultimate winner gets another point.
But in the stats its called a win in the shoot out catagory

win, loss, win by shoot out,... etc....

TKGAngel
01-01-08, 05:56 PM
Can we do this outdoor thing again? Even though the Sabres lost, it was still a great game. The players reminded me of kids in a candy store when they first got out on the ice.

The stadium did sell out in 15 minutes (that's 73,000 tickets). There were an additional 2,000-3,000 people in the parking lots of the stadium tailgating during the game, plus an additional 10,000 people at HSBC Arena watching the game on the HD Jumbotron. This game was huge up here.

In addition, Ryan Miller is going to auction off the mask and toques he wore during this game to benefit his Steadfast Foundation. The last mask he auctioned off went for $50,000, so those are going to be big moneymakers for his charity.

jonovision_man
01-01-08, 06:04 PM
Pretty cool... reminds me of growing up (in Edmonton, Alberta, where you can have a naturally frozen backyard rink for 5 months of the year or more).

Having snow pile up on your stick when you're carrying the puck... wearing a toque under or over your helmet...

Next time they should play on a frozen lake, just to get the full effect of the puck bouncing off of cracks and stuff. :D

jono

Tifosi24
01-01-08, 06:40 PM
Correct........College and AHL have done it for a while... I (Think) NHL started it last year

It's actually a Stat...
Each team gets a point for the tie, then the ultimate winner gets another point.
But in the stats its called a win in the shoot out catagory

win, loss, win by shoot out,... etc....

College does not use the shoot-out to decide the outcome of games. If the games end regulation in a tie, then there is a five minute overtime period with five skaters aside. If the game ends OT tied, then both teams are awarded one point in the conference standings. I do believe Hockey East used the shoot-out for a while some years ago, but decided against it.

Dr. Corkski
01-01-08, 07:49 PM
Second time ever for the NHL. They played the first one last year in Canuckistan (Edmonton). It's a gimmick that was started when UM played MSU outdoors a few years ago, and it's happened a few times since. The OSU played Wisky the season before last @ Lambeau Field.

-KevinThe Edmonton game was actually 4+ years ago. That game was actually well done even though it was far colder.

Today was an absolute disgrace for hockey consistent with the incompetence of the Bettman era. That game was didn't showcase any of the things these two teams were good at (speed, passing, diving) because the ice was terrible. It had more holes in it than Marc-Andre Fleury in a playoff game. The snow made it worse, and they knew there was a good chance it was going to snow in Buffalo in January. This was about as stupid as putting a franchise in Nashville. :thumdown:

They showed the Caps-Sens shootout on FSNBA here. 6 goals in the first 8 minutes of the game. :thumbup:

TKGAngel
01-01-08, 08:08 PM
Today was an absolute disgrace for hockey consistent with the incompetence of the Bettman era. That game was didn't showcase any of the things these two teams were good at (speed, passing, diving) because the ice was terrible. It had more holes in it than Marc-Andre Fleury in a playoff game. The snow made it worse, and they knew there was a good chance it was going to snow in Buffalo in January. This was about as stupid as putting a franchise in Nashville.

There was a group that wanted the game to be played when the Pens and Sabres meet in February, since there was a better chance for colder, snowier weather than we had today.

In addition, local media is making a push for this to become an annual event. If Dallas and Detroit can always play football on Thanksgiving, then why can't Buffalo have outdoor hockey on New Year's? (Football, I know.)

I also can't figure out why they didn't scrape the ice before the shootout. Its something that they do at every single freaking game before a shootout, and yet in a game where it would need to be done the most, its not done? :confused:

Sean O'Gorman
01-01-08, 08:23 PM
All the dullness of indoor hockey, combined with bad weather and poor sightlines? Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :rolleyes:

Dr. Corkski
01-01-08, 08:25 PM
There was a group that wanted the game to be played when the Pens and Sabres meet in February, since there was a better chance for colder, snowier weather than we had today.

In addition, local media is making a push for this to become an annual event. If Dallas and Detroit can always play football on Thanksgiving, then why can't Buffalo have outdoor hockey on New Year's? (Football, I know.)Except the quality of the NFL games weren't severely hampered by the conditions required for the event. Take the novelty out of the "game" today and the hockey was worst than anything I have seen in the godforsaken trap era. Plus it's Buffalo, you guys will take any sporting event you can get since the Bill don't play in January anymore. :p

I also can't figure out why they didn't scrape the ice before the shootout. Its something that they do at every single freaking game before a shootout, and yet in a game where it would need to be done the most, its not done? :confused:Give the NHL a break, they were so busy figuring out how to rig that for the golden boy to get the winner that they forgot to let the zamboni come out and do a dry cut.

Dr. Corkski
01-01-08, 08:26 PM
All the dullness of indoor hockey, combined with bad weather and poor sightlines? Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :rolleyes:Go wait in line for Browns playoff tickets.

jonovision_man
01-01-08, 08:46 PM
Give the NHL a break, they were so busy figuring out how to rig that for the golden boy to get the winner that they forgot to let the zamboni come out and do a dry cut.

That's one of the most absurd things I've heard in awhile... I await your evidence.

jono

jonovision_man
01-01-08, 08:48 PM
I also can't figure out why they didn't scrape the ice before the shootout. Its something that they do at every single freaking game before a shootout, and yet in a game where it would need to be done the most, its not done? :confused:

Are you sure...? I don't recall them doing the ice before the shootouts, but I haven't been watching much hockey this season. They did it between the 3rd and OT, not sure it was required.

jono

TKGAngel
01-01-08, 08:50 PM
All the dullness of indoor hockey, combined with bad weather and poor sightlines? Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :rolleyes:

Have you ever watched a full NHL game? If not, go watch one.

Give the NHL a break, they were so busy figuring out how to rig that for the golden boy to get the winner that they forgot to let the zamboni come out and do a dry cut.

I think the NHL made a sizable donation to either the Sabres Foundation or Miller's foundation as "compensation" for Sid getting the game winner.

OW
01-01-08, 08:55 PM
Tifos...
Your right...
The Shoot out I saw (live) for a college game was a tournament....

At MSU - few years ago
My mistake..

(b4 Dave hit the AHL)

Dr. Corkski
01-01-08, 08:56 PM
I think the NHL made a sizable donation to either the Sabres Foundation or Miller's foundation as "compensation" for Sid getting the game winner.Well, they did let him win the yo mamma showdown in that amp commercial. :laugh:

dando
01-01-08, 09:14 PM
Are you sure...? I don't recall them doing the ice before the shootouts, but I haven't been watching much hockey this season. They did it between the 3rd and OT, not sure it was required.

jono

Yes, they clear the center 1/3 of the ice before shoot outs.

-Kevin

RTKar
01-01-08, 10:03 PM

Champcar's on ice ;)

I give the NHL credit for trying new ideas. Anyone who's played the game at a competitive level has probably started on outdoor ice. An outdoor NHL contest brings out the heritage of the game. It's a celebration of the sport and a tremendous idea to focus some attention on a sport that so many people don't undertand. Bettman may be criticized for many things, this is not one of them. The NHL is trying to expand it's audience. Over the last couple years a number of issues have been addressed both on and off the ice. I see it as pretty good managment.

Andrew Longman
01-02-08, 01:01 AM
Cry as you might, but this is good for hockey. 80K bought tickets in an instant. Novices are here on a freaking racing board talking about it.

They went to a shootout after a terrible but necessary strike and it greatly improved the regular season product and aligned them with international hockey.

The ice was not great today but the snow and frezzing rain was. Let it go. Good stuff for the league. Next year in Giants Stadium?

Ankf00
01-02-08, 01:04 AM
Novices are here on a freaking racing board talking about it.

hornfans too, in the middle of busiest bowl day.

RusH
01-02-08, 02:07 AM
Cry as you might, but this is good for hockey. 80K bought tickets in an instant. Novices are here on a freaking racing board talking about it.

They went to a shootout after a terrible but necessary strike and it greatly improved the regular season product and aligned them with international hockey.

The ice was not great today but the snow and freezing rain was. Let it go. Good stuff for the league. Next year in Giants Stadium?

Novice slightly....I had watched 2 full seasons on Center Ice with Dish before the internet gave it up for free. It peaked for me when the Czech invasion happened and they won in the Olympics....(I married into the "Lang" family...minus the #20 ;) )....I also have signed Jagr Pens jersey in a box.
Anyhoo, I thought it was a great promotional idea...thanks Trish for the thread....there are some years that I don`t watch hockey at all...

We all can`t be masters of every topic here ;)

Having said that....death to the Devils, Islanders rule.....go Crosby and the Pens. :)

Dr. Corkski
01-02-08, 02:13 AM
1. Idea is anything but new. It's been done many times including once in the NHL.

2. It's not a celebration of the sport when players are forced to play in substandard conditions that prevent them from playing at their highest level and a significantly increased risk for injury. This was pure media-whoring.

3. The idea itself wasn't what got press. The fact that people are all acting like this has never happened before shows that. The difference is that NHL marketed the hell out of this game vs the 2003 game in Edmonton. Probably because Bettman doesn't want anyone to know that more people actually show up to games in Canada than his bible belt brigade.

4. Mike Emrick likes to recite the program bio of every player instead of calling the play, and he is too busy listening to himself scream to get half the names right (i.e. Mark Gausted :gomer: ).

5. Take away the novelty, and there wasn't a single thing that happened in that game that was better than the worse game in the trap era. Most regular season games don't hold a candle to playoff or any trap era game.

greenie
01-02-08, 03:25 AM
1. Idea is anything but new. It's been done many times including once in the NHL.

2. It's not a celebration of the sport when players are forced to play in substandard conditions that prevent them from playing at their highest level and a significantly increased risk for injury. This was pure media-whoring.

3. The idea itself wasn't what got press. The fact that people are all acting like this has never happened before shows that. The difference is that NHL marketed the hell out of this game vs the 2003 game in Edmonton. Probably because Bettman doesn't want anyone to know that more people actually show up to games in Canada than his bible belt brigade.

4. Mike Emrick likes to recite the program bio of every player instead of calling the play, and he is too busy listening to himself scream to get half the names right (i.e. Mark Gausted :gomer: ).

5. Take away the novelty, and there wasn't a single thing that happened in that game that was better than the worse game in the trap era. Most regular season games don't hold a candle to playoff or any trap era game.

Having a bad day? :tony:

Huge crowd, national stir for a regular season NHL game (unheard of since forever), players psyched to be a part of the gig, excellent and entertaining game, etc.

I thought it was money and they ought to do it again next year.

RTKar
01-02-08, 07:40 AM
I'll agree the trap makes for boring hockey and that playoff games tend to be outstanding but I've noticed a greater intensity in regular season games the last couple years probably due to parity and guys trying to maintain their jobs with the influx of foreign talent competing for roster spots.

TKGAngel
01-02-08, 09:37 AM

(snip)

1. The NHL was never trying to present the game as "this is the first time we've ever done this anywhere." In the days leading up to the game, there was a lot of coverage of both the original 2003 outdoor NHL game, and the Michigan/MSU game. Sure, this was the first time this was done on the US, which is the novelty for many people, considering the original 2003 outdoor game wasn't broadcast in the US unless you were one of the lucky few to have Center Ice or CBC.

2. I really think a lot of care was taken on both teams and from the league to make sure no one got injured (and that includes frostbite, hypothermia or windburn). Injuries can happen anywhere. Just look at the collision on Saturday night between Tim Connolly and Gary Roberts that broke Roberts' leg.

4. I was going to start a drinking game for every time Emerick said "driiiiiive." The Mark Gaustad bit was probably my first WTF moment of the game, though its not as bad as Harry Neale mixing up Pominville and Gaustad (hint for Harry: Goose is about 5 inches and 50 pounds bigger than Pominville.) Although I've been assured by Devils fans that Emerick isn't that bad on their broadcasts, I'm finding that hard to believe.

Next year in Giants Stadium?

It would be great if the Rangers and Devils would play in Giants Stadium. Talk about what would amount to a home game for both teams.

JT265
01-02-08, 09:41 AM
I'll agree the trap makes for boring hockey and that playoff games tend to be outstanding but I've noticed a greater intensity in regular season games the last couple years probably due to parity and guys trying to maintain their jobs with the influx of foreign talent competing for roster spots.

Good point. See, if Billy Boat had of tried harder, he coulda been on Dancing with the Stars. :tony:

:laugh:

tllips
01-02-08, 10:58 AM
I personally thought the game was great. The snow made it feel like old pond hockey which is where many of the players honed their skills.

Normally, the NHL does not scrape the ice between the 3rd period and OT, so they do the center swath for the shootout. In this game, they took the time to do the ice before the 5 min OT, so they probably deemed it wasn't necessary for the shootout as it was just done about 10 min (real time) or so earlier.

I thought Crosby's shootout goal was awesome. He kept stick handling all the way in until the 5 hole opened and slipped it in at the exact right instant it became available. I thought he had amazing patience waiting for Miller to show the 5.

I certainly had the hockey game on for longer stretches than the Wisconsin game.

TKGAngel
01-02-08, 04:43 PM
The overnights are showing that the game drew a 2.4 nationally. That's huge for hockey.

BTW, the game had a 38.1 in Buffalo, peaking at a 43 during the shootout.

Ankf00
01-02-08, 04:50 PM
Dear Canada,

We'll give you Buffalo so long as you take Oklahoma with 'em.

Sincerely,
USA

jonovision_man
01-02-08, 07:42 PM
Dear Canada,

We'll give you Buffalo so long as you take Oklahoma with 'em.

Sincerely,
USA

Buffalo rocks... :) Oklahoma I don't know so much about, but I think I'll probably want to check it out before we firm up this deal... :D

jono

Dr. Corkski
01-03-08, 06:19 PM
Not a single comment about the Kovalchuk goal and the Canes/Trashers game from last night? :gomer: