PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Off Camber

Wabbit
12-28-07, 03:44 PM
Wabbit is done.....

I give up on ChampCar, it no longer appeals to me. It's a joke now.

I think I watched 3 races this year. I won't be going out of my way to see any of their races anymore. If I happen to stumble across one while surfing, I might stop and laugh, but not much more. I even told ChampCar they lost a 20 year fan, not that there is anyone there who cares. They want the casual carnival fan at their races anyway.

People here have kept me a little interested in the last couple of years, but even that is no longer helping. Thanks everyone who kept me smiling and informed, but since I no longer care, I don't see a reason to come back here consistantly. I might log in once in awhile for a laugh, but that will be it.

Here is the letter I sent to ChampCar.

Thank you for the memories over the last 20 years. I've enjoyed watching talented drivers from all over the world including Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi, Michael and Mario Andretti, the Unser Family, Bobby Rahal, Alex Zanardi, and Jimmy Vasser. This is a short list of some of the best drivers to have driven in Champcar.

But, I can no longer watch ChampCar. There is no longer any stability in drivers or teams. There is no one that I can watch and hope will win since there is no way to know if they will even be in the same or any car the following race. Too much of the driver lineup is based on how much money you have rather then talent. In the last several years, I have seen drivers with good potential set aside for a driver that has a sponsor. You know ChampCar is in a sad state when a longtime fan knows more drivers and sponsors in two other racing series that they don't even watch then drivers in their preferred series.

The race schedule is almost laughable. Many weeks between races just makes me forget that a series even exists any longer. There is no looking forward to the next race in a week or two. And with all the cancellations of races over the last few years, I'm not even sure that the race that is scheduled four weeks from now will even happen.

The racing has become extremely boring over the last five seasons. With no battles between Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, and Mercedes or Lola, Reynard, and Eagle, the fun is no longer there. There are no backmarkers anymore. There is no real passing anymore, and even some of the better tracks are gone. There are no more ovals, too many street courses that don't allow passing. In short, the racing has become dull.

Maybe I might start paying attention again when there is some stability in the series. But I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon. Ever since the split in 1995 with the IRL, both series have lost. Even a sudden merger will not bring back the popularity that once was. Both series need more on-track competition, and neither series is going to thrive, with or without a mergee.

Goodbye ChampCar, it was fun while it lasted.

Goodbye Off Camber. I think this place was more fun then the racing the last few years.

Sean Malone
12-28-07, 04:01 PM
I think there are more than a few here (and on other boards) that feel as you do Wabbit. Personally, I tried to take a break thinking that the boards were tainting my ‘fanship’. What I found is that the Champ Car is just a mere shadow of it’s former self and that I like OC for more than just Champ Car. It is somewhat fun to see what next bumble will come from CC HQ and see how it plays out on the forums.

There was a time that the faltering series that is Champ Car actually would make me upset at their inept decision making. I have since learned how to just let it go. It is what it is and will probably never be what is was. But I like the folks here and Champ Car does have the DNA of a series that even rivaled F1 and NASCAR. The day it is officially no more, I will probably stop and mourn its passing, remembering the great times and giving thanks that the suffering is over. But that day hasn’t come yet.

Take some time. You might find, like I did, that your outlook changes after a break.

Take care.:thumbup:

SteveH
12-28-07, 05:55 PM
Who was it that said "Champ Car is bitchin'" Vainini, or something like that.

Unfortunately, that statement represents much of what the fans do now, myself included. I don't think many of us are happy about the state of the series.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear it Wabbit, but I understand.

Frankly the community here is more fun than the racing. For me, that's not a bad thing, just a bad thing for racing. Together, I enjoy hoping it might change and enjoying each other in the meanwhile.

Ankf00
12-28-07, 06:42 PM
^^ bingo.

Don Quixote
12-28-07, 06:53 PM
Yep, I can't remember the last time I posted in the Champcar Forum. At least we still have the hate. :)

JohnHKart
12-28-07, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear it Wabbit, but I understand.

Frankly the community here is more fun than the racing..

True. I come on hear more for the other forums than Champ Car these days. This board is still helpful for Champ Car news as well. And when I have computer or electronics questions this board is the best and always helps me get the best products.

John

nrc
12-28-07, 09:41 PM
Best wishes, Wabbit. Thank you for your contributions here.

I think what you're talking about goes beyond Champ car - racing just isn't what it used to be. I used to follow over a half dozen series closely. These days it's pretty much Champ car and Atlantics. I'm sure that's partly because of the lack of compelling product and partly entertainment competition.

I can still enjoy Champ car because for now I've given up on it being what it once was. If I could enjoy Indy Lights I can certainly enjoy Champ car lite. For now there's simply no option for CC other than survival mode.

As for the rest of you - we really appreciate you visiting and contributing to OC even if you're among those who don't enjoy Champ car the way you once did. We can use the company as we either ride the storm out or go down with the ship. :)

Methanolandbrats
12-28-07, 10:16 PM
Where else but here can you learn how to speak proper English, smoke meat, fix your computer, buy the right camera, repair your car, get travel tips, become a booze expert, swap recipes, etc........ and laugh several times a day :)

Sean O'Gorman
12-28-07, 10:26 PM
I like this forum because its the only place I can say my peace about college football. At the road race auto-x forum I post at, its a bunch of barefoot jug-blowing inbred SEC rednecks who get pissy every time I say something about OSU.

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 10:44 PM
... who get pissy every time I say something about OSU.

OK. At great peril, what do want to say about OSU? I got your back. :D

Sean O'Gorman
12-28-07, 11:04 PM
Greatest football team ever.

devilmaster
12-29-07, 12:27 AM
We can use the company as we either ride the storm out or go down with the ship. :)

The more company there is, the more people I can teach sea shanties to. ;)

Like r2c/Sean Malone said wabbit - take the time away if you feel you need it. Like both of you, I still post because of the other forums and find myself more and more just going to the community threads. I hope you find that OC is still a place to enjoy, regardless of CC or any other series.

extramundane
12-29-07, 12:29 AM
Where else but here can you learn how to speak proper English, smoke meat, fix your computer, buy the right camera, repair your car, get travel tips, become a booze expert, swap recipes, etc........ and laugh several times a day :)

What he said. :thumbup:

Cam
12-29-07, 02:14 AM
What he said. :thumbup:

Yep, but I'll also add buy a car. Bought a beemer yesterday. :cool:

TravelGal
12-29-07, 03:02 AM
As for the rest of you - we really appreciate you visiting and contributing to OC even if you're among those who don't enjoy Champ car the way you once did. We can use the company as we either ride the storm out or go down with the ship. :)

Thanks and, alas, very well put there in the last sentence.

You are SO right. :thumbup:

Wabbit, I completely understand. Sean, I thought you said it perfectly. I thought I'd take a break and realized, to my sadness, that I didn't miss the CC talk at all. What I *did* miss was you guys. Gettin' all mushy here but, >wipes tear< I'd feel lost if OC ever closed.

EDwardo
12-29-07, 03:04 AM

Since this statement isn't based on National Championships, what makes them the greatest ever?;)

Most National Championships
Notre Dame 13
USC 11
Alabama 11
Oklahoma 9
Ohio State 7
Michigan 7

But hey, this is a thread created for a melodramatic farewell to Champcar. (and OC)

And I'm staying.

Andrew Longman
12-29-07, 07:59 AM

I take it back. Now I'm gonna get all pissy.

stroker
12-29-07, 10:44 AM
But Wabbit--what will you do if you're concerned you need to flush your intestinal system?

jonovision_man
12-29-07, 10:59 AM
There's also the Formula 1 board and the "others" board, if ChampCar no longer hits the spot... stick around, post! :)

jono

Robstar
12-29-07, 12:40 PM
Where else but here can you learn how to speak proper Englisha

Well I musta missed that lesson... Or was I teaching it? :cool:

Sucks to hear Wabz... I remember you from 7G days... look after yourself... :)

TKGAngel
12-29-07, 01:51 PM

Nicely put.

However, if the ship is sinking, may I have a life jacket? I don't know how to swim, and I don't think that's something that can be taught on a message board.

Indy
12-29-07, 02:01 PM
But Wabbit--what will you do if you're concerned you need to flush your intestinal system?

That's what I was thinking. :laugh:

And congrats, Cam. We await the stories of illegalities. :D

dando
12-29-07, 04:32 PM
Meh. The racing sucks, but this forum rawks. Giving Spickly shizzle == priceless. :cool:

Take a break, Wab, and check back in a few weeks or mos. I usually learn something new everyday from everyone posting here...except SOG. :gomer: ;)

In case not, take care.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-29-07, 04:34 PM
is it a leased 3 series? :D

coolhand
12-29-07, 05:22 PM
Yeah, around 2003-2004 I could not get enough of racing. This year I did not watch one entire race.

The football threads and a few other things keep me here. Also I can laugh at Champ car news. However I am hardly up to date on that crap anymore.

Cam
12-29-07, 05:55 PM
is it a leased 3 series? :D

No. :gomer:

Napoleon
12-30-07, 08:15 AM
You know, CC could disappear tomorrow and I would still come back here. I like the community.

RusH
12-30-07, 11:25 AM
I hear you Wabbit, I`ve been FF the races on the DVR alot this year.
I stay because of the internet, if it wan`t for Al Gore, CCWS would not exist.
I still enjoy some of the drivers like:
Jan "lord of the ladies" Heylen,
Nelson "original lord of the ladies" Philippe,
Tristan "the flying Frenchman" Gommendy,
Oriol "still driving" Servia
Mario "wreck your car" Dominguez and
Paul "chromehorn" Tracy

What is so exciting these days is you never know who will be behind the wheel, the drama is intense, more than the racing.
Anyhow, good luck.
http://www.nowupload.com/:qMx

;)

KLang
12-30-07, 01:51 PM
I must be in the minority. I still enjoy watching the races. Sure the series is a pale shadow of the good ole days, but I don't expect those days to ever return. FTG broke it forever IMO.

I am less willing to travel to the races now. I used to go to 2-3 races per year but this year it will probably just be the home race. I am ticked about canceling Vegas, that was an easy race to justify the trip as we go there a couple times a year anyway.

If the series should finally die I do hope this forum remains. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-30-07, 03:42 PM
I enjoy the races too. I have no idea who is driving most of the cars, but I still watch it.

jonovision_man
12-30-07, 04:14 PM
^^^ The red one just passed the green one!!! :D

I enjoyed 2007, there were some decent races... loved the Tremblant race, that was awesome. It's still worth watching, if it were a brand new series I might even be a little excited about it. :)

jono

oddlycalm
12-30-07, 04:15 PM
Understand how you feel Wabbit, but while the racing has declined the quality of the people I've met along the way has not. I've enjoyed your contributions over the years.

oc

jcollins28
12-30-07, 05:55 PM
hey Wabbit so what if you do not watch/go to the races? Does not mean you still can not post here. IMHO your letter was great and spot on but I have a feeling that who ever read at the North Indy office probably stopped after this line.

Thank you for the memories over the last 20 years.

I just do not really think they care about the old CART fans. They have tried to make a move so far and away removed from anything that was CART that I feel like you do. In a way it is probably for the best anyways. CHAMP CAR can not even do CHAMP CAR correctly so how on earth could they come close to giving us anything like what CART was?

OW
12-30-07, 06:27 PM
To Wabbit...just gotta say (if he still lurks)

Quote from his letter --- "Thank you for the memories over the last 20 years"..

...sorry but ..bla bla bla....

*This Guy* (me) with 43 years a fan, just Booked a room in Long Beach for 4....(flight and tickets to be ordered)

Mistakes are made....fighting ALLLLL the Idiots on both sides is tuff...but...

Have had cars break DAYS after warranty expired...
Have taken people in...
Have had my dog this year get a Field Mold and saved him for $5 Grand...
Have had friends cheap me out.....
Gladfully lost $1600 in Cart Stock...
Not divorcing....
Got sued from an adult on my trampoline (Who I told not to play on)..
Horses die...

The list goes on and on....

Then there's things like...
The movie "Funny Farm...
My Jack Russels licking my face....
Smiles I see from GIVING at Chrsitmas..
My wife and I growing to understand and love each other..(25+ years)
Openwheel Ring Tones....

This list goes on and on.. even further..

I hope whatever it is you find (Wabbit) that it is Fruitfull and occupies your personal time......(Sincerely)...Just dont get caught up in arguments that are irrelevant...(Example: like looking back to golden years)...

You try to live and ...Life goes on...

(See you (this year) TGal)

OW

PS.. Since the split, Seating has been so available Iv'e paid for cheaper tickets and moved to better views that were more expensive......Its all how you see it.

Indy
12-30-07, 07:33 PM
^^^ Excellent post. POTY material.

greenie
12-30-07, 08:16 PM
I don't know how to swim, and I don't think that's something that can be taught on a message board.

Step One
Visualize a line running down the center of your body from your chin to your chest. This line is the axis upon which your whole body should pivot, and it should extend horizontally in the direction you are swimming.
Step Two
Keep your legs straight, but not rigid, with your toes pointed out, and kick up and down. Continue kicking the entire time.
Step Three
Move your arms in a windmill motion opposite each other. While one arm is extended completely out, the other should be all the way back, almost against the side of your body.
Step Four
Keep your hands flat, thumb separated from the index finger and pull the extended arm through the water beneath your body. Bend your arm at the elbow and draw your fingertips along the imaginary line down the center of your body.
Step Five
Lift your other arm out of the water and move it all the way forward as the first arm is pulling beneath you. Bend at the elbow and drag your fingertips along the surface of the water. Penetrate the water with your fingertips and completely extend the arm.
Step Six
Breathe on one side by turning your head to that side as the arm comes out of the water.

Good luck, and wear those arm floaties. :D

greenie
12-30-07, 08:23 PM
To Wabbit...just gotta say (if he still lurks)

Quote from his letter --- "Thank you for the memories over the last 20 years"..

...sorry but ..bla bla bla....

*This Guy* (me) with 43 years a fan, just Booked a room in Long Beach for 4....(flight and tickets to be ordered)

Mistakes are made....fighting ALLLLL the Idiots on both sides is tuff...but...

Have had cars break DAYS after warranty expired...
Have taken people in...
Have had my dog this year get a Field Mold and saved him for $5 Grand...
Have had friends cheap me out.....
Gladfully lost $1600 in Cart Stock...
Not divorcing....
Got sued from an adult on my trampoline (Who I told not to play on)..
Horses die...

The list goes on and on....

Then there's things like...
The movie "Funny Farm...
My Jack Russels licking my face....
Smiles I see from GIVING at Chrsitmas..
My wife and I growing to understand and love each other..(25+ years)
Openwheel Ring Tones....

This list goes on and on.. even further..

I hope whatever it is you find (Wabbit) that it is Fruitfull and occupies your personal time......(Sincerely)...Just dont get caught up in arguments that are irrelevant...(Example: like looking back to golden years)...

You try to live and ...Life goes on...

(See you (this year) TGal)

OW

PS.. Since the split, Seating has been so available Iv'e paid for cheaper tickets and moved to better views that were more expensive......Its all how you see it.

Good post. The racing last year was pretty good all things considered. The drag is because of the low car counts and wanker factor, the threat of a true ubber dog race is ever present, and the fact that the series is subject to immediate and unannounced termination means that not caring is a legit option even amongst long term supporters of CART / Champ Car.

That said, I'm booked for LB as always, and am kicking around Toronto and/or RA. :cool:

cart7
12-30-07, 09:25 PM
Where else but OC could you go to find out spicoli's colon contents?

:gomer:

RTKar
12-30-07, 11:30 PM
Are we between races or between seasons? :\

TravelGal
12-31-07, 02:42 AM
KLang, you're not the only one that enjoys the races. I love to go and even enjoy most of them on TV (with race director). But I, too, don't spend to go to 3 or 4 a year. I had planned on Phoenix but that got canned so I thought I could use my Southwest ticket for Vegas but that got canned so..... you all know what I mean.

It's the interest in the series itself that I now lack. I wrote several times the year Pook spent the treasury that we would all be looking back at that year as the "good old days." I didn't think what was coming would could ever come close to the fun of the "Jimmy" car and fields we actually knew. Unfortunately, I was right, at least in my view of the series. Still, there are guys I love to hate like Dan Clarke and guys I keep hoping will catch a break like Servia.

That said, the community we have here far transcends all of that. I root for Strokers new baby, listen to Ank rant about those Texans, learn about computers, and lawnmowers, and gutter cleaning. The list is as endless as the talents of the people we have here.

As for next year, I was tickled pink to see that OW is coming out to LB. And greenie. Definitely good times when we can all get together again.

Peace out.

emjaya
12-31-07, 06:09 AM
Step One
Visualize a line running down the center of your body from your chin to your chest. This line is the axis upon which your whole body should pivot, and it should extend horizontally in the direction you are swimming.
Step Two
Keep your legs straight, but not rigid, with your toes pointed out, and kick up and down. Continue kicking the entire time.
Step Three
Move your arms in a windmill motion opposite each other. While one arm is extended completely out, the other should be all the way back, almost against the side of your body.
Step Four
Keep your hands flat, thumb separated from the index finger and pull the extended arm through the water beneath your body. Bend your arm at the elbow and draw your fingertips along the imaginary line down the center of your body.
Step Five
Lift your other arm out of the water and move it all the way forward as the first arm is pulling beneath you. Bend at the elbow and drag your fingertips along the surface of the water. Penetrate the water with your fingertips and completely extend the arm.
Step Six
Breathe on one side by turning your head to that side as the arm comes out of the water.

<spicoli> Post photo of you in your swimsuit</spicoli> :D

OW
12-31-07, 10:09 AM
Hahahaha....Thats the cutest thing I've seen in a while

[[[Last edited by TravelGal : 12-31-2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: speling]]]

JT265
12-31-07, 10:27 AM

Spikkly taught me how to clean my colon. I will be forever gratefull. :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
12-31-07, 11:07 AM
OC is also one of the last bastions of proper etiquette........ask The Face of Champcar :D

RTKar
12-31-07, 12:08 PM
...it is still pretty cool seeing and hearing the cars wind up at Road America even if there is little if any story line between drivers and teams and I have no clue who is in what car.

oddlycalm
12-31-07, 04:48 PM
OC is also one of the last bastions of proper etiquette........ask The Face of Champcar :D It'll be long distance if you want to ask her. She and Hinchcliffe are playing house in the UK while he's doing A1GP. :p

oc

Gnam
12-31-07, 05:09 PM
Wabbit signing off...

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1953/51k0dckq4flaa240rh5.jpg

...hopefully just for now. Happy trails varmint. ;)

JohnHKart
12-31-07, 09:04 PM
Step One
Step Two
Step Three
Step Four
Step Five
Step Six

I just got back into swimming after a 6 year absence. I injured my foot in June so had to do something other than stairmaster while trying to recover. For awhile I could only do one lap and then stop for awhile, but now I can do alot more and have been able to combine it with my stairmaster and weightlifting routines. If you are starting swimming, I recommend goggles and those waxy white earplugs you roll up in a ball you can get at Rite Aid. I tried it without goggles but when I started doing more laps I couldn't take the clorine anymore.

John

cart7
12-31-07, 11:08 PM
Are we between races or between seasons? :\

In the case of OW racing I'd say we're between coup d'etat's.

RTKar
01-01-08, 10:05 PM
In the case of OW racing I'd say we're between coup d'etat's.

Not a bad idea for these troubled times in "our" troubled sport.

TrueBrit
01-01-08, 11:57 PM
Wabbit, you are not alone in feeling disenchanted about the current state of CC racing, I have long since stopped caring about it as I once did, but the sound of the cars live, and the other forums here keep me coming back...

Hope to see you around...

cheesewhiz
01-02-08, 02:26 PM
Yep, but I'll also add buy a car. Bought a beemer yesterday. :cool:

You bought a motorcycle?
I hate to split hairs here but, a Beemer is a motorcycle, a Bimmer is the car.

I have the two wheel version...................:D

edit: schpelling......duh

High Sided
01-02-08, 02:54 PM
You bought a motorcycle?
I hate to split hairs here but, a Beemer is a motorcycle, a Bimmer is the car.

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

bummer:D

ChampcarShark
01-03-08, 02:37 PM
Sad news indeed, we'll miss you wabbit.

I lost interest in CC sometime ago, but this the best community in the net. Now if OC is gone, might as well go live under a rock.

RHR_Fan
01-03-08, 02:49 PM
Sad news indeed, we'll miss you wabbit.

I lost interest in CC sometime ago, but this the best community in the net. Now if OC is gone, might as well go live under a rock.

http://www.petcaretips.net/IGotARock.jpg