PDA

View Full Version : What's a good photo editor software

JohnHKart
12-26-07, 03:02 AM
Need a good photo editor software. Mostly I just crop or reduce sizes down to 110kb for emailing or putting on the web. The microsoft photo editor I downloaded from Limewire doesn't cut it on XP anymore. I have some pending photo projects that I can't get done because of this. Tried the free photo serif plus but it's awful too. Thanks.

JH

Robstar
12-26-07, 10:45 AM
I use Photoshop for work reasons, but look up Gimp - apparently it's the open source version...

G.
12-26-07, 12:15 PM
I have no idea if it's any good, but since the same OT issue came up with me, I have had this (http://www.irfanview.com/)recommended to me.

Anyone try irfanview out?

devilmaster
12-26-07, 12:18 PM
I use irfanview - freeware, and its good for resizing and resampling photos...

Methanolandbrats
12-26-07, 12:48 PM
Free download of Nikon View 6.2. Great for downloading, renaming and re-sizing. If you don't have any editing (cropping, color and density correction, sharpening, etc.....) software get Photoshop Elements. Does all you need to do and it can be hotkeyed from Nikon View. Nikon View also includes a quick editor.

oddlycalm
12-26-07, 03:58 PM
If you want basic editing functions with strong archiving and organization functions ACDSee photo manager is a good choice. It will also do file conversions between any of 100 or so file formats. I've been using it since version 2.0 and give it to the people that report to me. It was freeware when I first got it.

Irfanview seems to do about the same thing as the early versions of ACDSee did, which is all that most people need, and the price is right.

oc

swift
12-26-07, 06:40 PM
Irfanview. :thumbup:

You can crop to the size of your desktop (ie 1280 x 800) by having two instances of Irfanview open. From fullscreen mode, pan and zoom within your source pic until everything you want takes up the screen. Then press "PrintScreen" to capture the screen to the clipboard, Alt-Tab over to the "other" instance of Irfanview, and Paste your capture as a new image. Save.

datachicane
12-27-07, 01:38 AM
I've used Irfanview for years. The batch processing function is indispensable for maintaining websites or building low-res TV (or digiframe) slideshows.
Great stuff.

I've got an older version of PSP (5.x, IIRC) that I use for more advanced editing, but Irfanview does the job 90% of the time.