PDA

View Full Version : Mario say...

nrc
12-22-07, 12:37 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071221/FREE/879109195/1528/FREE

What do you consider your greatest racing accomplishment?

The Formula One World Championship is no doubt the pinnacle. No question about it. To me, F1 is the ultimate form of motorsport. You can argue it either way, but it is. I've been there, done all of it.

Did I derive the most satisfaction from winning it? Probably not. I probably derived the most satisfaction out of CART, because of the mix of ovals to road courses. I was never totally fond of ovals, but I loved the mix, loved the challenge of ovals. When CART was at its best, the mix was good, percentage-wise. I loved the idea that if you won the CART championship, you won on a road course and you won on an oval. There were times when there was so much satisfaction to be had from that series.

What about the IRL-Champ Car split?

Tony George is finally admitting certain things [by the series going to road and street courses, along with the ovals on which the series was based]. We've come close several times to making progress [in reconciliation], and then it just falls apart. They're all in denial. I've tried so hard to get some sense in them. They just don't seem to realize they keep losing ground. More and more, that's the thing [Champ Car's] Kevin Kalkoven doesn't really realize. He's in Dubai, cultivating those foreign markets, and it just doesn't work. It's going to be another A1 series, and there already is an A1 series that doesn't work. They are off everyone's radar, no story line. It's a shame, a total shame.

Can't argue too much about Dubai, except to say that if it helps keep CC afloat while the IRL's position continues to erode it's a good thing. Sorry Mario, no compromise with Tony George - ever.

Spicoli
12-22-07, 02:55 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071221/FREE/879109195/1528/FREE

Can't argue too much about Dubai, except to say that if it helps keep CC afloat while the IRL's position continues to erode it's a good thing. Sorry Mario, no compromise with Tony George - ever.

Absolutely. Tony was wrong then, and he is wrong now. unfortunately, Tony will not run out of money in the foreseeable future.

The IRL, an answer to a question nobody asked.

:shakehead

RusH
12-23-07, 12:49 PM
What Mario fails to understand is this.
http://www.ccic-champions.ws/ccic/banners/banners/gfg.gif

:gomer:

jonovision_man
12-23-07, 01:25 PM
God needs to work on the grid and firming up a few more races for the calendar... :p

jono

Warlock!
12-23-07, 03:27 PM
Can't argue too much about Dubai, except to say that if it helps keep CC afloat while the IRL's position continues to erode it's a good thing.
Indeed... that's about all I'm hoping for anymore. Both series need to die... whatever helps that along is OK by me.

Hopefully a Phoenix can rise from the ashes.

jonovision_man
12-23-07, 06:00 PM
Hallelujah! A Christmas miracle. :D

jono

RTKar
12-25-07, 11:16 AM
Indeed... that's about all I'm hoping for anymore. Both series need to die... whatever helps that along is OK by me.

Hopefully a Phoenix can rise from the ashes.

I have to agree for the most part. Considering the scattershot efforts of CC, we're at the point of not having any real grasp on either a target audience nor sponsors...or so it seems. Except for a three hour window Memorial Day weekend open wheel racing doesn't exist....some would it still doesn't.

Rosco
12-25-07, 04:53 PM
I have to agree for the most part. Considering the scattershot efforts of CC, we're at the point of not having any real grasp on either a target audience nor sponsors...or so it seems. Except for a three hour window Memorial Day weekend open wheel racing doesn't exist....some would it still doesn't.

Bringing back the Phoenix race with a full house in the stands would sure go a long way toward a new OWR life in America, this track needs 24 cars starting the race. I feel sorry for the fans that never had the opportunity to see Mears, Foyt, Sneva, Andretti, race on the mile track

pchall
12-26-07, 07:21 AM
God needs to work on the grid and firming up a few more races for the calendar... :p

jono

Yes. Two more US races in the early Fall are a must! Road Atlanta and Miller could fit the bill for me.

Robstar
12-26-07, 11:25 AM
Bringing back the Phoenix race with a full house in the stands would sure go a long way toward a new OWR life in America, this track needs 24 cars starting the race. I feel sorry for the fans that never had the opportunity to see Mears, Foyt, Sneva, Andretti, race on the mile track

Agreed, but times change... hairstyles change... interest rates fluxuate...
They'd want to pull their rabbitt out now...

Rosco
12-26-07, 12:39 PM
Agreed, but times change... hairstyles change... interest rates fluxuate...
They'd want to pull their rabbitt out now...

Maybe you know where you can see that type of racing today, I don't, we would need the best from both series for that to happen again, I believe this is still a possibility:)

cameraman
12-26-07, 09:28 PM
Yes. Two more US races in the early Fall are a must! Road Atlanta and Miller could fit the bill for me.
It would really help if the onboard starters were functional before they try to race at MMP. The interior sections of the track are extremely slow to clear, interior yellow flags can take 20-30 minutes to clear. At least that has been the case at Grand Am, ALMS and Star Mazda races.