PDA

View Full Version : Candy

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 12:25 AM
So every other person in 'cube city' has holiday cookies, candies etc available for all to partake of. I've never been much of a candy person. I would take a navel orange over a cupcake as a kid any day of the week and as an adult find that salty snacks go better with my eh hmm, beverage of choice. :) But today I tried a caramel candy that has a hazelnut in the center and a drop of chocolate on top and I thought it was pretty good. Interesting that it used a hazelnut (one of my favorite nuts). The name was Toffifay and when I googled it it turns out it's been around for decades. Hmm, go figure. It's the first time I've ever seen it.

What's your confection of choice?

Sidebar, mom always has a large bowl of assorted nuts during the holidays.
I tear through the almonds first, hazelnuts second, and leave everyone else the walnuts (blach!) and brazil nuts (blach!). Drives my sister crazy! "Sean ate all the almonds and hazelnuts again!!!" I just smile and pour another drink. It was funny back when we were 12 and still when we are 40'ish. :D

SteveH
12-20-07, 12:33 AM
English Toffee covered in chocolate: Heath bars and Skor candy bars. :thumbup:

extramundane
12-20-07, 12:57 AM

None of 'em. Grew up with a diabetic father and best friend, so I stopped eating sweets in my teens. I helped The Missus make truffles tonight and literally got sick to my stomach just from smelling all the chocolate; if I were to eat regular, corn syrup-y peanut butter or non-diet soda, I'd have the mother of all stomachaches within 30 minutes. Fortunately, I have booze & complex carbs to fill the void (though the school frowns on my consuming booze on the job).

Sidebar, mom always has a large bowl of assorted nuts during the holidays. I tear through the almonds first, hazelnuts second, and leave everyone else the walnuts (blach!) and brazil nuts (blach!). Drives my sister crazy! "Sean ate all the almonds and hazelnuts again!!!" I just smile and pour another drink. It was funny back when we were 12 and still when we are 40'ish. :D

I didn't know what brazil nuts were actually called 'til well into my teens. I won't repeat what my Dolanesque father called them. :\

Dirk Diggler
12-20-07, 01:14 AM
I could take or leave most sweets. But don't leave me alone with a box of these.

http://www.greatergourmet.com/chocolates/guylian_P304200.jpg

Indy
12-20-07, 01:45 AM
Any high quality chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa and all natural ingredients.

Pecans and walnuts. Mmmmmm...

RichK
12-20-07, 01:55 AM
I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut. Pine nut, which is a nut, but it's also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut.

chop456
12-20-07, 02:22 AM
Hearing about Toffifay reminded me of their awful commercials, which reminded me of other awful commercials. Praise YouTube for preserving their awfulness for future generations.

LZomv1wBbbo

q6RBtXlHec4

UwzfFqbC4q4

UbUTDDE-_go

z0l1yqIjQUQ

Warlock!
12-20-07, 08:04 AM
Hearing about Toffifay reminded me of their awful commercials
I really took that whole "Toffifay, it's too good for kids... Toffifay is made for grown-ups" thing to heart. One day after riding my bike into town with some friends we went to the convenience store to get some candy. I saw that Toffifay in the candy bin and said "Ta Hell with them... I'm gonna get one". I took it up to the counter and set it down. I felt the same way several years later when I first tried buying beer when I was 15. :D

Oh... and my alltime favorite candy is "Nerds". Sugar 'n' beer. :dude:

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 09:33 AM
None of 'em. Grew up with a diabetic father and best friend, so I stopped eating sweets in my teens. I helped The Missus make truffles tonight and literally got sick to my stomach just from smelling all the chocolate; if I were to eat regular, corn syrup-y peanut butter or non-diet soda, I'd have the mother of all stomachaches within 30 minutes. Fortunately, I have booze & complex carbs to fill the void (though the school frowns on my consuming booze on the job).

I didn't know what brazil nuts were actually called 'til well into my teens. I won't repeat what my Dolanesque father called them. :\

I'm sure ancient man was MUCH hungrier than I will ever know 'cuz I'd never bother breaking into a brazil nut. It a whole ordeal.

Wife got a bottle of Goldschlager at a white elephant party at her work. Cinnamon schnapps? What the heck am I supposed to do with that?!?!:D

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 09:37 AM
Thanks for posting the Toffifay commercials. I slightly remember them now that I see them. Strange commercials.

I tease my wife that I married Santa's daughter because from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas eve, my wife is decorating continuesly. It like we live at the freakin' north pole!! I keep thinking I'll find eleves in the guest room banging together wagons. She also goes on a complete sugar diet.

Its weird. :0

TKGAngel
12-20-07, 10:26 AM

Sponge candy. Preferably with dark or orange chocolate.

dando
12-20-07, 11:02 AM

Gin. :D

As I tell my wife, I'm already sweet enough as I am, so I don't really eat sweets. :) When I do indulge, I generally like sour candies (Warheads were the ultimate, but they have since vanished :( ). Twix is the usual candy bar, and an occasional dark chocolate from Godiva (the missus loves anything Godiva).

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 11:05 AM
When I was a kid my dad would always put marzipan candy in our Christmas stockings. Every year we would secretly throw them out. YUCK!

Never heard of sponge candy.

I should have made this a thread about gross candy. Such as a few that turn my stomach....

1) Black jelly beans
2) Peeps
3) Candy Corn
4) Those orange spongy things shaped like big peanuts.

TKGAngel
12-20-07, 11:10 AM
When I was a kid my dad would always put marzipan candy in our Christmas stockings. Every year we would secretly throw them out. YUCK!

Never heard of sponge candy.

I should have made this a thread about gross candy. Such as a few that turn my stomach....

1) Black jelly beans
2) Peeps
3) Candy Corn
4) Those orange spongy things shaped like big peanuts.

What Is Sponge Candy? (http://www.spongecandy.com/faqs-policies/sponge-candy-in-general#what-is-it)

As to gross candy, I can't stand Necco wafers.

Methanolandbrats
12-20-07, 11:12 AM
My confection of choice http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=2
(page down to Winter Brew) It's candy you can drink :D

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 11:31 AM
What Is Sponge Candy? (http://www.spongecandy.com/faqs-policies/sponge-candy-in-general#what-is-it)

Interesting! It's fun to say "Buffalonian". :D

Andrew Longman
12-20-07, 11:43 AM
Interesting how many here aren't into sweets.

My wife marvels she has never seen me eat a piece of candy because I can't recall the last time I ate one. I used to sell my Halloween candy to my buddy Skip.

I am a sucker for a good oatmeal cookie... with raisons. Or Oreos.

My wife's grandmother OTOH was a true sugarholic. Couldn't even keep jam in the house cause she would eat it with a spoon. She stole candy from her son when he was a kid. But she lived to be 99.

Unfortunately, my oldest, Trevor seems to have inherited that gene. I'm convinced I will find him someday snorting lines of cocoa mix on the kitchen counter. :gomer:

chop456
12-20-07, 11:50 AM
Zots.

Sean Malone
12-20-07, 11:55 AM
Interesting how many here aren't into sweets.

My wife marvels she has never seen me eat a piece of candy because I can't recall the last time I ate one. I used to sell my Halloween candy to my buddy Skip.

I am a sucker for a good oatmeal cookie... with raisons. Or Oreos.

My wife's grandmother OTOH was a true sugarholic. Couldn't even keep jam in the house cause she would eat it with a spoon. She stole candy from her son when he was a kid. But she lived to be 99.

Unfortunately, my oldest, Trevor seems to have inherited that gene. I'm convinced I will find him someday snorting lines of cocoa mix on the kitchen counter. :gomer:

:rofl:

G.
12-20-07, 12:06 PM
Toffyfay rocks! Sponge candy is great, but hard to find if'n you're not a Buffalonian.

Carmel anything. :thumbup:

As I've gotten older, I find that I eat more sweets. Nothing like chocolate after a big red steak!

Interesting how many here aren't into sweets.Unless you are a HARDCORE German, sweets don't go too well with beer.

TKGAngel
12-20-07, 12:52 PM
Interesting! It's fun to say "Buffalonian". :D

Try this one on for size:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo"

A grammatically correct sentence that roughly translates to "Bison from Buffalo, New York who are intimidated by other bison in Buffalo NY also happen to intimidate other bison Buffalo NY."

Unfortunately, my oldest, Trevor seems to have inherited that gene. I'm convinced I will find him someday snorting lines of cocoa mix on the kitchen counter.

I've heard that the Swiss Miss and Nesquik bunny are quite the pushers. You have to watch out for them.

dando
12-20-07, 12:59 PM

You know, them things might be why I don't crave sweets. :irked: The mother in law gives them to our girls every so often, and even they won't eat them. :)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-20-07, 01:09 PM
I've heard that the Swiss Miss and Nesquik bunny are quite the pushers. You have to watch out for them.

Country Time too.

He was helping his mother prepare snacks at a church function last summer. He opened up a big can of powdered lemonade, stuck his face full in the can, and took a deep breath.

He was just trying to horrify his mother... and he did. :rolleyes: :)

eiregosod
12-20-07, 01:35 PM
I want candy

chop456
12-20-07, 02:59 PM
Unless you are a HARDCORE German, sweets don't go too well with beer.

Bah. Chocolate chip cookies and a good stout (i.e. not Guinness), rock together. :thumbup:

Ankf00
12-20-07, 03:08 PM
Bah. Chocolate chip cookies and a good stout (i.e. not Guinness), rock together. :thumbup:

hell yes :thumbup:

dando
12-20-07, 03:26 PM

Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout and skip the cookies. :)

-Kevin

nrc
12-20-07, 03:41 PM
I love chocolate chips with diet coke, my Grandma's butterscotch cookie recipe with milk, or there are these millionaire shortbread cookies that some friends bring back from Scotland that are amazing all by themselves.

I'll take cookies over candy bars any time.

extramundane
12-20-07, 06:39 PM
Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout and skip the cookies. :)

Quoted for emphasis. Maybe a Rogue Hazelnut as an after-drinky drink.

trish
12-20-07, 07:05 PM
1. Hershey, Mars, Nestle, Lindt, Godiva, any premium quality chocolate
2. Any type of cinnamon chewy type candy (cinnamon bears in particular)
3. Laffy Taffy
4. Twizzlers
5. Meltaway mints

Candy is my weakness.

Dirk Diggler
12-20-07, 07:30 PM
Anyone here ever tried to gag down Applets and Cotlets???:yuck:

I think it's a Northwest thing. I've never met anyone under 75 who liked them. Nasty, nasty, nasty!

trish
12-20-07, 07:59 PM

I think it's a Northwest thing. I've never met anyone under 75 who liked them. Nasty, nasty, nasty!

I received a free sample of it once and used to get their catalog. It's not good.

RaceGrrl
12-20-07, 10:39 PM
When I do indulge, I generally like sour candies (Warheads were the ultimate, but they have since vanished :(

Warheads are still around- just saw them at Target tonight. Sour apple.

RusH
12-20-07, 10:51 PM
Chocolate and The McCallen :D

Spicoli
12-21-07, 03:31 AM
chocola-thread. :rofl:

:weak:

Warlock!
12-21-07, 08:00 AM
I almost forgot about my favorite chocolate commercial... one that warms my cockles to this very day.

Everybody have a good, good choco party.

O83q46EdsrI

JT265
12-21-07, 08:11 AM
I almost forgot about my favorite chocolate commercial... one that warms my cockles to this very day.

O83q46EdsrI

Hmm. Cockles have muscles, alive, alive-O! :\ :yuck: :saywhat:

:laugh:

Dirk Diggler
12-21-07, 02:15 PM

:D :thumbup:

I think I'm turning Japanese...

oddlycalm
12-22-07, 04:28 PM

I think it's a Northwest thing. I've never met anyone under 75 who liked them. Nasty, nasty, nasty! Yup, it's a Northwest thing and an old school one at that having been around since 1920. They are made of dehydrated fruit pulp and walnuts then dusted with powdered sugar so they are not overly sweet. If they dried them a bit more you'd have fruit leather. On the other hand they will keep you regular....:gomer:

Applets and Cotlets (http://libertyorchards.com/newac.asp)

oc