PDA

View Full Version : Scrapple?

Sean Malone
12-13-07, 09:35 AM
I don't care what's in it, I just like it! Sliced thin and fried in an iron skillet until the edges are nicely browned and crispy. Once a year (if that) is about how often I make it but when I do it's a special morning. Throw in some corned beef hash and a couple eggs over easy and I'm in breakfast heaven. I'm thinking this Saturday might be the big day. :)

Any other scrapple fans?

Andrew Longman
12-13-07, 09:48 AM
Wow. Scrapple is an old South Jersey/Philly/Delaware/Maryland thing. Along with porkroll.

Didn't know anyone anywhere else knew about it

Yes it is good. Just don't think too specifically about what pork scraps really are.

Sean Malone
12-13-07, 10:11 AM
Wow. Scrapple is an old South Jersey/Philly/Delaware/Maryland thing. Along with porkroll.

Yes it is good. Just don't think too specifically about what pork scraps really are.

That must explain it, Dad was born and raised in NJ!! North NJ though, but he was the introducer of this delectable breakfast menagerie. :)

I'll have to ask him how he came to find it.

Don Quixote
12-13-07, 10:13 AM
Scrapple is one of those things that takes me back to being a kid. My dad would bring home a slab from a butcher shop that he used to go to. He called it floor sweepings. Tasty, especially with gooey eggs, and oh so bad for you. I've only had store bought scrapple once or twice, and it didn't compare. :thumbup:

dando
12-13-07, 10:14 AM

Scrapple is available in groceries in Ohiya as well. Pork roll not so much. Taylor porkroll on the boardwalk, yo! :thumbup: Now what I want to know is about this stuff they advertise as water ice on the boardwalk.... :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-13-07, 10:16 AM
That must explain it, Dad was born and raised in NJ!! North NJ though, but he was the introducer of this delectable breakfast menagerie. :)

I'll have to ask him how he came to find it.

He prolly ventured into south NJ for some R&R @ some point. South NJ is generally considered AC down to Cape May. The AC sucks, the rest is :cool:.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
12-13-07, 10:19 AM
He prolly ventured into south NJ for some R&R @ some point. South NJ is generally considered AC down to Cape May. The AC sucks, the rest is :cool:.

-Kevin

Now that I think about it he was stationed at Fort Mammoth which I think was in south Jersey. I also think it's been shut down.

i had no idea that scrapple was a Jersey/Phili/MD/OH thing. I always assumed it was a deep South item.

RichK
12-13-07, 01:09 PM
My dad grew up eating scrapple in a small town in Pennsylvania. I haven't tried it yet, I don't think they import that stuff out here!

p.s. - I'm getting some deja vu on this subject....was it a 7G thread?

p.p.s. - Nope, it was an OC thread:
scrappletalk in '05 (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-6774.html)

Warlock!
12-13-07, 01:23 PM
Is scrapple a relative to "prettles"?

:germanancestry:

Andrew Longman
12-13-07, 01:43 PM
Ft Monmouth is up north near Asbury Park. Its mission revolves mostly around communications research. Its scheduled for closing and splitting its mission among a couple of other bases.

What's north, south, central Jersey is hard to say. There is a road called Province Line Road that cuts diagonally NW to SE roughly south of Princeton and north of Trenton. In colonial times it marked the boundary across much of the state between West and East Jersey which were land grants from the King to some croney friends. West Jersey was mostly oriented around the Delaware Valley and East Jersey around the Raritan and Hudson Rivers.

To this day, though its changing some, if you live north of Province Line Road, you likely are oriented towards NYC, work there, root for those sports teams, etc., and if you live south of it you are oriented towards Philly and Philly sports teams, etc.

Scrapple was brought by German immigrants who settled more south and west of Philly than they did in north Jersey, hence why it is more of a South Jersey thing, but I guess also why you might find it in Ohio, especially south/central Ohio.

dando
12-13-07, 02:11 PM
Scapple has a German origin, which explains it's roots in PA, etc. Cbus and Cincy have a heavy German influence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

'lock, no hits on prettles in the Wiki, but I would guess they might be related.

http://www.recipezaar.com/28045

-Kevin