PDA

View Full Version : Other Money Saving Ideas For Champ Car

Jag_Warrior
12-10-07, 07:50 AM
I'm working on my annual cost reduction plan at work. It seems that CCWS is also looking to save money.

In addition to the merging of teams and bouncing higher paid drivers, what are some other areas where Champ Car could save money?

I'll list a couple that just crossed my mind:

Fuel - I have no idea what race grade methanol runs. But when I was into R/C cars, I paid over $20/gallon for nitromethane. And Champ Cars get what, 2 miles to the gallon?! Oh my! We gotta do something about that. I say shorten tha races. Road America becomes a 10 lap shootout. Long Beach, 15 laps and no yellow flags allowed. Cleveland gets 12 laps.

TV time - We're probably talking at least $200K per hour here. So instead of these two hour money burners every race, I say go with a condensed 30 minute wrap-up show. Put it on a 2AM... rates should be even cheaper then. And yeah, I do mean show... not shows. Yeah, at the end of the season, there will be ONE 30 minute wrap-up show.

I think just right there, I must have saved the series about $9 million.

Anybody else got anything?

Just be careful. These are probably the "fan ideas" that the series will act on.

Spicoli
12-10-07, 09:12 AM
Free beer. And topless women.

grungex
12-10-07, 11:38 AM
Free beer. And topless women.

Free women. And topless beer.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 11:40 AM
Use qualifying to determine the race finishing order. That should save $1M a weekend in parts.

DagoFast
12-10-07, 12:15 PM
Just drop all the pretense and set it up as a fantasy race series and let the fanatics vote (cookie free of course) for each races winners. Heck, let them make up and vote for events too. Just think of it, a race around the all the monuments in DC! Another in NYC, down Madison Ave and up Broadway to the finish line on Wall St.!

Oh happy day.

pchall
12-10-07, 01:28 PM
Fuel - I have no idea what race grade methanol runs. But when I was into R/C cars, I paid over $20/gallon for nitromethane. And Champ Cars get what, 2 miles to the gallon?! Oh my! We gotta do something about that. I say shorten tha races. Road America becomes a 10 lap shootout. Long Beach, 15 laps and no yellow flags allowed. Cleveland gets 12 laps.

Last time the guys I know bought a drum of VP Fuels M1™ racing grade (99.5% pure) methanol to blend their own RC car and plane fuels they paid less than $3.00 a gallon when buying from a local supplier. Your $20.00 figure is the retail price for a gallon of blended methanol with 20% to 405 nitromethane (and oxygen bearing additive producing higher power) and 10% to 20% castor oil or synthetic oil.

Fuel price is not going to make a big difference in the series' cost for a weekend.

pchall
12-10-07, 01:32 PM
duplicate while editting

G.
12-10-07, 02:21 PM
set up cones in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 03:03 PM
Develop a CC arcade game and have virtual races.

datachicane
12-10-07, 07:41 PM
Cox .049
Requirement that all catering be provided by CCWS. $20/lb ice = gravy!
100,000 mile Xtreem-Rim-Protector radials. For rainy conditions, wipe off ArmorAll.
Each team places $1 in an envelope and sends it to the team at the top of the list, makes 10 new copies of the list adding their name to the bottom and omitting the name on the top, sends to 10 other teams. Additional $5 goes to escrow fund to pay settlement to Amway for infringement on trade secrets.
Rent-a-Steward. Subscription plans include by-the-lap timing and scoring for lowbuck outfits.

Al Czervik
12-11-07, 03:30 PM
set up cones in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

SO'G the 2008 Champcar Series champion!

<edit: 400 posts and you guys haven't bounced me out yet!>

Jag_Warrior
12-11-07, 09:46 PM
Keep 'em coming. Every cost saving idea, from $5 to $1, gets the series closer to where it seems to be going.

Well, that's OK. I hear Women's Beach Volleyball has some fresh faces lined up for next season. :irked:

Methanolandbrats
12-11-07, 10:01 PM
Go out of business.