PDA

View Full Version : Ralf shocks F1 racing world

EDwardo
12-08-07, 06:54 PM
This week might have been the final outing for me in a Formula 1 car.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/12/07/ralf-schumacher-this-might-have-been-my-last-time-in-f1/

....maybe I will just join another racing series

When I saw this my first thought was that he must be entertaining 1 or 2 offers to join the IRL. My guess is either Penske or Andretti. It also might be connected to rumors that PT will jump to the IRL as well. If they team up it will be a dream team. Could this be the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT?

Consider this. Ralf could see the move as an opportunity to get out from under his brothers' shadow. Winning the 500 is one achievement his brother never accomplished. Damaged pride can be a powerful motivator. And what about Tracy? Next insane and totally implausible rumor.....

:rofl:

Spicoli
12-08-07, 07:08 PM
He would fit in well @ PDM. :gomer:

jonovision_man
12-08-07, 07:37 PM
Maybe he wants to join the great Juan Pablo Montoya, CART champion, Indy 500 winner, and F1 failure? He's already got F1 failure checked, two more to go! :D

jono

EDwardo
12-08-07, 09:07 PM
Maybe he wants to join the great Juan Pablo Montoya, CART champion, Indy 500 winner, and F1 failure? He's already got F1 failure checked, two more to go! :D

jono

JPM certainly had a less than stellar F1 career but he was hardly a failure. In his 5 1/2 year F1 career he had 7 wins and 29 podiums in 95 races. He had 2 3rd place finishes in the WDC, 1 4th, 1 5th, and 1 6th. In 10 races his last year he was 8th in points.

Ralf, on the other hand..... 10 years, 6 wins and 26 podiums. 2 3rd place finishes in the WDC, one 4th, 1 fifth, and 1 9th. And 2 10ths and a 16th.

He collected about $20 million last year from Toyota for a 16th place finish so he presumably has no immediate need for money. That's why the IRL makes sense for him. And it has Indy.

Of course this is all absurd. My intent was to scoop another forum known for tossing out wild and absurd rumors.

Spicoli
12-08-07, 09:29 PM
JPM certainly had a less than stellar F1 career but he was hardly a failure. In his 5 1/2 year F1 career he had 7 wins and 29 podiums in 95 races. He had 2 3rd place finishes in the WDC, 1 4th, 1 5th, and 1 6th. In 10 races his last year he was 8th in points.

Ralf, on the other hand..... 10 years, 6 wins and 26 podiums. 2 3rd place finishes in the WDC, one 4th, 1 fifth, and 1 9th. And 2 10ths and a 16th.

He collected about $20 million last year from Toyota for a 16th place finish so he presumably has no immediate need for money. That's why the IRL makes sense for him. And it has Indy.

Of course this is all absurd. My intent was to scoop another forum known for tossing out wild and absurd rumors.

Good points.

Insomniac
12-09-07, 12:43 AM
Wouldn't he just be destined to hit the wall in Turn 1?

NismoZ
12-09-07, 01:03 PM
No, dems FIREstones! An he be turnin' LEFF!

Jag_Warrior
12-09-07, 05:27 PM

Spyplanes is probably sticking this on his site right now as a "Strong Rumor".

A couple of the Koolaid Kids will make the jump and claim that instead of the IRL, Ralf is coming to Champ Car with Fernando Alonso and McLaren. Fernando's about a 99% sure bet for Champ Car in '08, isn't he? And with Mercedes badging the Cossies next year, maybe the German connection will be completed by M. Shoemaker (his dang self) buying a CCWS team or ten. Too bad the FIA gave Renault a pass, or they'd be headed over to CCWS too. :tony:

jonovision_man
12-09-07, 07:39 PM

As I'm sure you're aware... achievement in F1 is skewed by the equipment you've got. You can hardly criticize Ralf for not getting it done in a Jordan.

Fortunately, JPM and Ralf both raced at Williams, head to head, so we have a very good comparison between the two.... other than Juan's really cool stretch of pole positions, he didn't consistently get the better of Ralf. Marginally better, sure, but not overwhelmingly better.

I'm a big JPM fan, but he didn't get it done in F1, then left with his tail between his legs. Sad, really. I don't know how you call it anything other than failure, for a guy to have the talent and just not get the job done? Occasionally he was sensational, mostly he was competent, but sometimes he was floundering... especially at McLaren.

jono

pchall
12-09-07, 08:04 PM
I could see Schumacher the Lesser driving in DTM for 2008 and a number of years beyond. No team in a series in North America could afford him.

rosawendel
12-09-07, 09:56 PM
I could see Schumacher the Lesser driving in DTM for 2008 and a number of years beyond. No team in a series in North America could afford him.

boom. there it is.

Rogue Leader
12-10-07, 01:01 AM
As I'm sure you're aware... achievement in F1 is skewed by the equipment you've got. You can hardly criticize Ralf for not getting it done in a Jordan.

Frentzen was a solid contender for the championship the very next year in almost the same car... I agree with your statement to a point, but Ralf can't get it done, never could, and never will.

Tony George
12-10-07, 01:02 AM
Come to the EARL, you can have my trophy...

http://motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/gen/f1-2007-gen-tm-1546.jpg

eiregosod
12-11-07, 12:29 PM
Tony has aged :(