PDA

View Full Version : Love at first drive?

Cam
12-08-07, 07:49 AM
Just wondering. Are other like me whe you are car shopping that when you sit in it and then drive it that it is it?

I have pretty much done that with all the cars I have bought and am on the verge of doing it again. Is the seat of your pants feel the best way to buy a set of wheels?

Spicoli
12-08-07, 10:35 AM
Just wondering. Are other like me whe you are car shopping that when you sit in it and then drive it that it is it?

I have pretty much done that with all the cars I have bought and am on the verge of doing it again. Is the seat of your pants feel the best way to buy a set of wheels?

the best way i have found is with money.

Andrew Longman
12-08-07, 11:06 AM
I do a fair amount of research, thinking about what I'm looking for, and asking for recommendations before I even go to a dealer. I want to minimize the number of salesmen I speak to and the time spent with them.

THEN, it is seat of my pants. If it doesn't feel right, I'm not buying.

My current car, Acura TL, was bought over the internet. I just went to the dealer to drive one before signing the final paper work to have them build it.

Of course if it is my wife's car we're talking about then I just write the check for whatever minivan she wants.

nrc
12-08-07, 06:17 PM
The way a car feels to you is one of the most important considerations. Spec sheets don't mean much if you're not enjoying your ride. Are going to share with us the object of your affections? :)

SteveH
12-08-07, 06:58 PM
http://www.cairnsdirect.com.au/images/i-suresave-logo.jpg

Cam
12-08-07, 08:07 PM
The way a car feels to you is one of the most important considerations. Spec sheets don't mean much if you're not enjoying your ride. Are going to share with us the object of your affections? :)

99 Merc C200. Drove one yesterday and the ride is just so smooth and once you get the hang of the throttle there is a lot of poke. Low mileage (k's) all leather and all the bells and whistles. I am paying in cash so I sort of have a fixed price range. :)

http://www.cairnsdirect.com.au/images/i-suresave-logo.jpg

:gomer:

RaceGrrl
12-08-07, 10:34 PM
I really liked how refined and smooth the Audi A4 was, but it was the fun of driving the Mazdaspeed 6 that won out. The Audi made me :) during the test drive, but the 6 made me :D

Cam
12-08-07, 10:42 PM
I really liked how refined and smooth the Audi A4 was, but it was the fun of driving the Mazdaspeed 6 that won out. The Audi made me :) during the test drive, but the 6 made me :D

Haven't ruled out an A4 yet either, but haven't had the chance to drive one yet. Also looking at BMW's as well. :confused:

indyfan31
12-08-07, 11:08 PM
My '83 Mustang GT was kind of like that, when I accidentally took off from an intersection in 3rd gear and it didn't stall, I said "I'll take it". There was nothing refined about that car, but damn it was fun to drive.

emjaya
12-09-07, 08:05 AM
99 Merc C200. Drove one yesterday and the ride is just so smooth and once you get the hang of the throttle there is a lot of poke. Low mileage (k's) all leather and all the bells and whistles. I am paying in cash so I sort of have a fixed price range. :)

No. That is not a man car. :shakehead

To drive that sort of car in Australia, you need to be female, a peroxide blonde, a fake tan like old leather, and spending your day hanging out at a Coffee Club sipping a latte.

If you can not afford this (http://www.hsv.com.au/Cars/ESeries/gts/gts.asp), then get this (http://www.hsv.com.au/Cars/ESeries/vxr/vxr.asp).

:)

Hard Driver
12-09-07, 10:27 AM
Sure.

I mean, if you are talking pure practicality, I need to get from point a to point b for the lowest cost, then buy a used Hyundai or something.

Everything that costs more, you are buying feel. Whether that be luxery feel, sport feel, prestige feel, etc. So sure, I think a car purchase is always about loving it when you drive it.

My 2 cents.

If you drove and liked the Audi A4, then you need a S4. I have a 2000 S4 and love it every time I get it.

Sean O'Gorman
12-09-07, 01:22 PM
Depends on the car. My first MR2 is the only one where the driving impression, not the specs, sold me on it. The cars I bought since I drove, and then thought about some more, or bought because of previous experience (the second MR2).

jcollins28
12-09-07, 02:09 PM
I'm looking at buying a truck right now. I have drove them all and hell I have no idea what I will buy. At this point I guess who ever gives me the best deal. Not impressed with Ford though weak motor out of all the trucks out there. The Tundra is a rocket but damn I just can not get passed the looks of the thing. So far the Titan really has me sold but the design is kind of dated.

manic mechanic
12-09-07, 05:23 PM
Strange that this thread should come up right now. We are in the process of buying Mrs. Manic's next car, and have done A TON of research (along with perusing two auto shows) to get a good feel what's out there.

We are still going to use our rather unique method of reaching the final decision:

Once we know what cars we like the look and specs of, we rent one of each for a mimimum of 3 days in order to get a good sense of how the car will fit in with our everyday life. We did this when we bought her Altima 10 years ago, and she still loves that little car (although it's getting a bit long in the tooth).

We will let you know what we buy once the papers are signed.

manic

TKGAngel
12-09-07, 05:32 PM
I had no idea that so many of us were looking for new cars. I'm going tomorrow to the dealership to drive the Dodge Caliber. I've read good things about it online, the Dodge transmission warranty is a very good thing, and a family discount never hurts things, either.

On a related note, I'm driving a Kia Spectra rental car right now, and every day I pray the car makes it up the hill about a mile from my office. The transmission is not good at all.

Cam
12-09-07, 06:13 PM
Sure.

I mean, if you are talking pure practicality, I need to get from point a to point b for the lowest cost, then buy a used Hyundai or something.

Everything that costs more, you are buying feel. Whether that be luxery feel, sport feel, prestige feel, etc. So sure, I think a car purchase is always about loving it when you drive it.

My 2 cents.

If you drove and liked the Audi A4, then you need a S4. I have a 2000 S4 and love it every time I get it.

I am driving my sisters Hyundai right now. IT SUCKS! Having to disable the immobilizer every time I get in the thing is a pain in the arse. It is nothing but cheap transport and not something I want to drive. I haven't had a car this pedestrian since my 1969 MKII Cortina. :yuck:

Cam
12-09-07, 06:14 PM
No. That is not a man car. :shakehead

To drive that sort of car in Australia, you need to be female, a peroxide blonde, a fake tan like old leather, and spending your day hanging out at a Coffee Club sipping a latte.

If you can not afford this (http://www.hsv.com.au/Cars/ESeries/gts/gts.asp), then get this (http://www.hsv.com.au/Cars/ESeries/vxr/vxr.asp).

:)

You are also talking the difference between 15K and 55+K. :gomer:

emjaya
12-09-07, 08:13 PM

There is no limit when I'm spending other peoples money. :gomer:

Seriously though, only problem I have with Merc's, Bimmers and such, is the price of a service and parts.

We buy cars on price and function. They never feel great on the road.:\

Indy
12-09-07, 08:19 PM
VDUB, dude. Love mine. Dealer gave me a demo to drive for the weekend and I was sold.

Come back to Hamcotucky and I will set you up with a good deal. :D

Spicoli
12-09-07, 09:11 PM

Get a better job.

Or, marry someone with a better job.

:runs:

Cam
12-09-07, 09:13 PM
VDUB, dude. Love mine. Dealer gave me a demo to drive for the weekend and I was sold.

Come back to Hamcotucky and I will set you up with a good deal. :D

Sat in one a coupla weeks ago. Just wasn't feelin' it. :\

Cam
12-09-07, 09:16 PM
Get a better job.

Or, marry someone with a better job.

:runs:

Dood! The thought of being a trophy husband sure has an upside or 2, but I fear it would cut into my beer drinking time too much. :cry:

jcollins28
12-09-07, 09:42 PM
Anyone here have a Titan by chance?

Indy
12-09-07, 10:32 PM
Dood! The thought of being a trophy husband sure has an upside or 2, but I fear it would cut into my beer drinking time too much. :cry:

You realize you are saying that to Spicoli, right? :gomer:

SteveH
12-09-07, 11:46 PM
trophy husband

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Spicoli
12-10-07, 12:31 AM
trophy husband

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

If I'm the trophy, she sure didn;t win much of a contest. :irked:

manic mechanic
12-10-07, 01:24 AM
trophy husband

:laugh: :rofl:

I take offense to that generalization, Steve... :shakehead

Some of my wife's co-workers call me that, and I wear it with pride; I'm skilled, resourceful, relatively personable, and unlike most "trophy wives", reliable.

It's a tough racket, but I'll deal with it! :laugh:

manic

manic mechanic
12-10-07, 01:29 AM
If I'm the trophy, she sure didn;t win much of a contest. :irked:

Could be worse...

she could have ended up with Charlie from St. Louis!!! :rofl:

cameraman
12-10-07, 01:41 PM
Having to disable the immobilizer every time I get in the thing is a pain in the arse.

Need some Aussie to 'murican translation. What is an immobilizer and how does one disable it?:confused:

G.
12-10-07, 02:43 PM
Need some Aussie to 'murican translation. What is an immobilizer and how does one disable it?:confused:It's that tube that they put on habitual DUI offenders; You need to blow into it before the car will start.:p

Cam
12-10-07, 04:05 PM
Need some Aussie to 'murican translation. What is an immobilizer and how does one disable it?:confused:

I am not sure of the history, but it seems the lawmakers here deemed car theft a severe problem. Hence they mandated an imobilizer switch that is secondary to the ignition key. Mainly in older cars. So, when you pile into the car, you disable (deactivate?) the imobilizer then stick the key into the ignition and go. It really is a right pain in the arse. :irked:

oddlycalm
12-10-07, 04:08 PM
problem I have with Merc's, Bimmers and such, is the price of a service and parts. So I always thought as well. While Benz and Audi are high I discovered BMW is actually quite reasonable as long as you aren't replacing engines or transmissions.

I hit a deer with my '97 328 convertible and the entire front end including hood and fenders came to just $2350.00 painted and installed. I have to admit I was shocked bacause that's about what the front bumper cover replacment cost on our Audi A6. I also had the dealer restring the convertible top after 5yrs and it was $180.00. I wouldn't have done it for twice that.

Enjoy the new wheels Cam! :thumbup:

oc

Badger
12-12-07, 12:44 AM

I bought my EVO before I even drove it. Very unlike me but from everything I had read, I knew I would love it.

Dirk Diggler
12-12-07, 02:25 PM
I used to go by reviews and then confirm it with seat of the pants.

Now I just look at what will be easier to clean when a Happy Meal (with a milkshake) gets turned upside down in the back seat.

Sean Malone
12-12-07, 03:26 PM
For me its exterior design first, interior design second, drive test third, price fourth.
I read the reviews but to date they have never swayed me in not buying a car I liked.

Cam
12-15-07, 06:35 PM

I've done a U turn. Going Mazda6 too. This thing is a beast. I am not even going to test drive it. Just sitting in it induced wood. Will post pics when I pick it up next week. :D

SteveH
12-15-07, 08:34 PM
:cool: for you Cam :thumbup:

Cam
12-15-07, 10:48 PM
:cool: for you Cam :thumbup:

http://smackforum.net/pics/Mazda6-1.jpg

emjaya
12-15-07, 11:09 PM
Auto?

Cam
12-15-07, 11:21 PM
Auto?

Triptronic. :)

SteveH
12-16-07, 02:40 AM
How much more to get a dry one? :gomer:

Awesome Cam, you'll love it. My wife has a 2004 6s and its a great car. I'd love to try out a Speed6.

Only problem I see is, does this mean you're staying down under, mate?

ferrarigod
12-16-07, 02:59 AM
Triptronic. :)

still?!?!?!?!?

nice car though. what year?

Cam
12-16-07, 11:25 AM
How much more to get a dry one? :gomer:

Awesome Cam, you'll love it. My wife has a 2004 6s and its a great car. I'd love to try out a Speed6.

Only problem I see is, does this mean you're staying down under, mate?

Yeah it was pizzin wit rain this morning.... Even more ugly when I went to the yacht club this arvo... UGH!

Trying for a presence on both continents... Working on it. Need wheels in both. I aint left yet.

still?!?!?!?!?

nice car though. what year?

It's an '03 flatprick. :)

Sean Malone
12-16-07, 01:34 PM
I've done a U turn. Going Mazda6 too. This thing is a beast. I am not even going to test drive it. Just sitting in it induced wood. Will post pics when I pick it up next week. :D

Hopefully just of the car. ;)

jcollins28
12-16-07, 02:29 PM
I bought a new 08 Nissan Titan Crew Cab. Hands down best truck I have ever owned. Freaking thing hauls the mail too! I will get some picks up here soon.

jcollins28
12-16-07, 02:31 PM
Nice ride Cam. A buddy of mine makes all sorts of sheet for the Mazda6 Headers,intake all sorts of good go fast stuff. How much trouble you want to get into with that new toy?

Cam
12-16-07, 05:58 PM
Nice ride Cam. A buddy of mine makes all sorts of sheet for the Mazda6 Headers,intake all sorts of good go fast stuff. How much trouble you want to get into with that new toy?

Let me get my hands on it and then we can put our heads together. :cool: