PDA

View Full Version : 72 Dolphins v 07 Pats

Andrew Longman
12-04-07, 07:30 PM
All right I've had it.

I was never a great fan of the Dolphins at any point (I've always been an NFL/NFC guy), but I've never begrudged them their undefeated season. An undefeated season is after all an undefeated season

That said, I saw Griese and Mercury Morris on ESPN and their smugness was so oozing that I just can't take it anymore.

Just to clarify, the record the 72 Dolphins harvested 8 wins from 2 wins each against the 7-7 Jets, 5-9 Colts, 4-9 Bills, and 3-11 Pats. They also beat the 8-6 Chiefs, 1-13 Oilers, 7-7 Vikes, 4-9 Chargers, 4-9 Cards and 8-6 Giants.

Add the 8-6 Browns, 11-3 Steelers and Skins in the playoffs and there are only 5 of 17 wins against winning teams including only 2 during the regular season.

So far. in 12 games the Pats have played 4 teams with a winning record and 2 were undefeated at the time. By season's end if they go undefeated they will have played 6 teams with a winning record, far better than the Dolphins did.

Add the realities of salary caps and increased free agency and if NE runs the table, the 72 Dolphins should be proud of their feat but not smug.

Gnam
12-04-07, 08:22 PM
You'd think the old Fish would be happy about NE's record bringing all this attention to them. When's the last time anyone wanted to interview Shula? :gomer:

RichK
12-04-07, 08:39 PM
Someone should remind them about the 2007 Dolphins "perfect" 0-12 record! :laugh:

Andrew Longman
12-04-07, 09:20 PM
You'd think the old Fish would be happy about NE's record bringing all this attention to them. When's the last time anyone wanted to interview Shula? :gomer:

When was the last time Mercury Morris was interviewed?

racermike
12-04-07, 10:32 PM
When's the last time anyone wanted to interview Shula? :gomer:

Only when you want to find out the daily special at Shula's steakhouse

RusH
12-05-07, 12:08 AM
Someone should remind them about the 2007 Dolphins "perfect" 0-12 record! :laugh:
I`d be ironic if this was the year that the Fish had a perfect losing season and the Pats got a perfect winning season.
I remember 1985, when the da Bears were going to have a perfect season also, but they were distracted with music videos....the Fins were the only team to beat them that year.

BTW, The Dolphins play the Pats on Dec 23rd. :gomer:

Sean Malone
12-05-07, 12:24 AM
Meh. It is what it is. It's like those that say Jacques Villeneuve had the WDC given to him because of a weak field and a great car.
They break out NASCAR as "old era"/"new era" and the NFL as "pre-Super Bowl", now you want to break out subsets of that for 'qualifications'? It's a record just like any.
JMF's record 5 WDC's stood for 46 years. Did Shuey's first two overshadow his JMF's 5? No. How 'bout Shuey's third WRC? No. Fourth? Nope. It wasn't until the record was broken that history moved forward (in a sense).
The record stands until it is broken, no matter how many people hate Griese.:) Thats why we keep records. :gomer:

Insomniac
12-05-07, 12:23 PM
I found it entertaining that they had Don Shula in the booth. In Baltimore no less where he was tampered with by Miami when he was head coach. He couldn't even stick around to see the end of the game. But this isn't new. Whenever a team has gotten to around 10-0 those guys are on TV. I don't know if they seek out the media, but it's a natural story to interview those guys. Personally, I like that they openly don't want anyone to achieve the perfect season. It's their record, no matter how difficult it was or wasn't to get, and why should they want someone to beat it. 19-0 > 17-0.

With that said, the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl in 1971, had their perfect season in 1972 and won the Super Bowl and won the Super Bowl again in 1973. They were a good team and can only play who is on their schedule. Sure S.O.S. was weak, but it's the NFL. The record isn't everything. Otherwise, NE should've had no problem putting away Philly last week and Baltimore this week.

Andrew Longman
12-05-07, 02:43 PM
The record stands until it is broken, no matter how many people hate Griese.:) Thats why we keep records. :gomer:

No disagreement with that or anything else you said.

And I have no problem with them hoping the record doesn't fall.

And they were a very good team.

My problem is the utter lack of humility they have about it. A few "we were good, but we were also lucky, that's why no one's done it since" comments would go a long way for me. Instead, they come off as thinking they were the greatest team of all time, which they were not.

It's almost to the point where when the record does eventually fall, I don't know how they are going to feel about themselves.

One comment from Greise I did like was. "We just wanted to win. The Pats want to demolish people".

Sean Malone
12-05-07, 03:49 PM
No disagreement with that or anything else you said.

And I have no problem with them hoping the record doesn't fall.

And they were a very good team.

My problem is the utter lack of humility they have about it. A few "we were good, but we were also lucky, that's why no one's done it since" comments would go a long way for me. Instead, they come off as thinking they were the greatest team of all time, which they were not.

It's almost to the point where when the record does eventually fall, I don't know how they are going to feel about themselves.

One comment from Greise I did like was. "We just wanted to win. The Pats want to demolish people".

I know what ya mean. :thumbup: