PDA

View Full Version : Slicks coming back to F1

JohnHKart
12-04-07, 04:08 PM
There's so much going on all the time, I watch every race and I get F1 Racing and some Autosports, can't believe I missed this. Slick tires are back in 2009!:D :thumbup:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64268

John, off to race on slicks at the kart track tonight.

Andrew Longman
12-04-07, 05:13 PM
Why wait until 09? :rolleyes:

Cam
12-04-07, 05:40 PM

True, but it's still about bloody time! :thumbup:

cameraman
12-04-07, 07:05 PM

They won't allow slicks with the current high level of downforce. The downforce reductions they have mandated do not happen until 2009.

NismoZ
12-04-07, 11:40 PM
Heidfeld and Button loved the new slicks and were fastest in the test but they were using current downforce rules. James Rossiter said he felt any advantage gained by the slicks would be negated by the new aero rule with the biggest advantage coming in high speed corners. He ran a simulated (:confused: removed some wing?) '09 downforce level with grooved tires and said the car (Super Aguri) was undriveable then ran slicks and it was better but "quite difficult" to drive. We'll see. (Oh, and Bourdais 6th comfortably faster than Vettel in 11th, both on grooves.)

Indy
12-05-07, 12:11 AM
Less aero grip, more mechanical grip. Yes.

cameraman
12-05-07, 01:55 AM
Guess Mosley got his split rear wing after all

opinionated ow
12-05-07, 04:32 AM
anybody seen the footage of richard hammond driving the f1 car? it proves they are the greatest racing machines on the planet

TrueBrit
12-06-07, 12:11 PM
anybody seen the footage of richard hammond driving the f1 car? it proves they are the greatest racing machines on the planet

No, but I saw The Stig trying to drive the Fonda indoors once...

Insomniac
12-06-07, 01:52 PM
Guess Mosley got his split rear wing after all

Why do you say that? (I didn't see it in the article)

This could be promising since the engines aren't going to be changed to offset the additional grip from the tires. Copying CC seems likely (more aero back to the undertray).

cameraman
12-06-07, 04:44 PM
Why do you say that? (I didn't see it in the article)

Sarcasm \Sar"casm\, n. [F. sarcasme, L. sarcasmus, Gr. sarkasmo`s, from sarka`zein to tear flesh like dogs, to bite the lips in rage, to speak bitterly, to sneer, fr. sa`rx, sa`rkos, flesh.]
A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.

Insomniac
12-06-07, 05:17 PM
Sarcasm \Sar"casm\, n. [F. sarcasme, L. sarcasmus, Gr. sarkasmo`s, from sarka`zein to tear flesh like dogs, to bite the lips in rage, to speak bitterly, to sneer, fr. sa`rx, sa`rkos, flesh.]
A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.

I don't need the definition. Sorry I didn't pick it up from your post.

NismoZ
12-06-07, 09:44 PM
Additional TIRE grip perhaps but combined with no traction control and a 50% loss of downforce both Heidfeld and Massa today talked of the "dangerous" situation that may occur with the '09 season. Massa expects "more fun (to drive) and a better show for the fans but also more crashes." Heidfeld said "If it will stay like this it will be extremely dangerous in 2009...very, very dangerous. We have too much power and too little grip I don't like it at all." Sounds like he wants both traction control and tire warmers and even with that says the cars will be very difficult to drive. Maybe we'll be getting a look at who the better drivers are again.?

Rogue Leader
12-07-07, 12:31 AM
Additional TIRE grip perhaps but combined with no traction control and a 50% loss of downforce both Heidfeld and Massa today talked of the "dangerous" situation that may occur with the '09 season. Massa expects "more fun (to drive) and a better show for the fans but also more crashes." Heidfeld said "If it will stay like this it will be extremely dangerous in 2009...very, very dangerous. We have too much power and too little grip I don't like it at all." Sounds like he wants both traction control and tire warmers and even with that says the cars will be very difficult to drive. Maybe we'll be getting a look at who the better drivers are again.?

Woooh dangerous?! Uh oh I didn't think racing a car should be dangerous!

*sarcasm*

emjaya
12-07-07, 05:51 AM
Less aero grip, more mechanical grip. Yes.

Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes I think the opposite would be better. :\