PDA

View Full Version : ALMS Audi, In Or Out?

NismoZ
12-04-07, 11:46 AM
I'd heard "in" now reading maybe not? Audi lost 8 of 12 overalls so they want the full 110lb. weight added to the P2 class in '08 rather than 55lb. phased in across 2 seasons. So who's stronger; Penske, Audi or the ALMS? Will Peugeot show up at Sebring? I hear they need to "test" against Audi prior to LeMans. Could THAT be a reason Audi is wavering?

Ripped
12-04-07, 11:52 AM
I'd heard "in" now reading maybe not? Audi lost 8 of 12 overalls so they want the full 110lb. weight added to the P2 class in '08 rather than 55lb. phased in across 2 seasons. So who's stronger; Penske, Audi or the ALMS? Will Peugeot show up at Sebring? I hear they need to "test" against Audi prior to LeMans. Could THAT be a reason Audi is wavering?

Didn't Audi commit to doing a European LMS? That would assure Peugot testing against them before LeMans.

I think that Audi is right. They need bigger seperation between the two classes. However, I don't follow it that closely so I don't understand all the politics.

pchall
12-04-07, 12:14 PM
Didn't Audi commit to doing a European LMS? That would assure Peugot testing against them before LeMans.

I think that Audi is right. They need bigger seperation between the two classes. However, I don't follow it that closely so I don't understand all the politics.

The only problem that the Audi P1 has is that most of the tracks it races on in North America are more suited to the lighter P2 cars. The R10 was designed to win at LeMans with the goofy diesel rules advantage and suffers greatly away from a long, fast tracks like that. Audi should just suck it up and make a P2 version with a 3.5l NA V8 for ALMS.

NismoZ
12-04-07, 12:21 PM
The ALMS is trying to push a compronise with the LMES 50kg "penalty" by mandating a 25kg addition for 2 seasons to bring them into compliance. My view has always been to screw the "separation" and simply have one prototype class but that will never happen. I guess the idea was to have a P2class for privateers and the less well-funded but you can see what the manufacturers did to that! Audi has already signaled they are willing to compromise so to me that sounds like a "compromise on the ALMS compromise." Will that mean a 37.5 kg addition for P2?:D Both sanctioning bodies want the greater separation and they will get it. The problem has been just getting enough entrants to fill both classes. Two or three cars in P1 was not FULL! When that happened they had to promote the P1 v P2 rivalry which to my way of thinking was just damage control. Go with a compronise with the understanding it can be changed ONCE at mid-season before the full 110lbs. is added in '09. (and was Penske's entry in GA a political signal as well?)

NismoZ
12-04-07, 12:33 PM
OR, what pchall said!:D ...and call it the APLS (American Petit LeMans Series.) But would Audi do 2 cars/teams? What's the relationship between Audi and VW lately? Maybe Hans Stuck (VW's new Motorsport Representative beginning Jan. 1st) can do a VW US V-8 P2 thing as suggested (resulting in ONE class) and let the Diesels beat the hell out of each other in Europe? Have to say, I wouldn't mind "hearing" them leave.:)

Easy
12-04-07, 12:43 PM
What's the relationship between Audi and VW lately?

VW still owns Audi so I'd say its a pretty solid relationship.:p

Seriously though, Audi does this little act every year and every year they're at Sebring. I really doubt they'd abandon the North American market when they already have the investment in the hardware and infrastructure.

G.
12-04-07, 01:41 PM
Have to say, I wouldn't mind "hearing" them leave.:)Oh, c'mon! The Audi's are several different shades of cool.

SteveH
12-04-07, 01:55 PM
Oh, c'mon! The Audi's are several different shades of cool.

Exactly.

As an aside, wasn't Porche's entry in P2 only to prepare them for P1? Have they reconsidered?

NismoZ
12-04-07, 03:10 PM
G. Was just suggesting a racin' Audi V-8 would tingle my ears a little more than a TDI and EZ's right again, I was just thinking maybe Stuck, as head racing idea guy at VW, might be able to influence Audi to race Porsche and Acura (here) even up.

NismoZ
12-04-07, 03:25 PM
Still think the Asians and Europeans should quit pushing different cures to oil dependency and create twin turbo bio-Diesel-electric hybrids...and race THOSE! (In the TTBDEH P1 Series) To the ash heap with Ethanol, E-50, 85 or whatever.

FCYTravis
12-05-07, 06:32 AM
As an aside, wasn't Porche's entry in P2 only to prepare them for P1? Have they reconsidered?

The Porsche P2 effort is a customer deal, funded by sales of customer cars. Where are the customers for this theoretical Porsche P1? Who's going to buy it?

Porsche isn't going to spend millions of dollars developing a P1 unless they have some confidence that they'll make their investment back.

The Doctor
12-05-07, 01:45 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/41860/

cameraman
12-05-07, 03:39 PM
Now all they need is another P1 builder to race against...