PDA

View Full Version : I've heard this before...

Insomniac
12-03-07, 02:12 PM
"I'm not going to be played against the Red Sox. That's not something I'll do. That's not something the Yankees should ever do, and that's I think what they're trying to do now," Steinbrenner said. "So if they want the best offer that has been offered to them, then they need to make up their minds."

Steinbrenner wouldn't set a specific time Monday for pulling out.

"We'll see how it goes, but this is not an act. It's not a bluff. It's just reality," he said. "Because as much as I want Santana, and you can make that clear -- for his sake, to know that I do want him -- but the fact is that I'm not going to play the game. We've made them the best offer. And at this point, it's not going to get any better. So they can decide. At this point, it's up to them. I don't think they want to lose us in this thing, obviously. Nobody wants to lose the Yankees in a negotiation."

But yesterday after meeting with the three Steinbrenners and other members of the Yankees' brain trust, Cashman said the team absolutely does not plan to negotiate with Rodriguez if he opts out. Another source familiar with talks said the Steinbrenners are on board with that.

"Yes, I can affirm that," Cashman said. "If Alex Rodriguez opts out of his contract, we will not participate in his free agency. That is accurate and that is definitive."

They negotiated and gave him a raise. :)

NYYs aren't out of the Santana derby until another team signs him.

Ankf00
12-03-07, 02:57 PM
They negotiated and gave him a raise. :)

they didn't participate in his free agency. a-rod went back on his own sans agent and competing bids. a-rod thought he made a mistake opting out and called warren buffet. buffet told him to talk to the yankees behind scott boras' back if that's how he felt. buffet got in touch with a couple of Goldman execs who are close to hank to serve as the middle men.

Insomniac
12-03-07, 03:12 PM
they didn't participate in his free agency. a-rod went back on his own sans agent and competing bids. a-rod thought he made a mistake opting out and called warren buffet. buffet told him to talk to the yankees behind scott boras' back if that's how he felt. buffet got in touch with a couple of Goldman execs who are close to hank to serve as the middle men.

I know how it played out, which is an interesting story in and of itself, but they did negotiate with him and paid him more. I don't know if the Red Sox were interested, but I'm not sure who else was even offering close to 10yrs/300M+.

I'm sure it was also a negotiating ploy, which is why I don't believe them when they say accept or we're done in the Santana deal.

Andrew Longman
12-03-07, 03:26 PM
I know how it played out, which is an interesting story in and of itself, but they did negotiate with him and paid him more. I don't know if the Red Sox were interested, but I'm not sure who else was even offering close to 10yrs/300M+.

I'm sure it was also a negotiating ploy, which is why I don't believe them when they say accept or we're done in the Santana deal.

They were planning on giving him a raise and extention anyway if he didn't choose to opt out. They just wanted the $21MM from the Rangers to help make it happen.

In the end, Arod wrote a $21MM check to the Yankees to compensate the loss of Rangers money and he got about what they were going to give him. And it is nowhere near the $350MM Boras was looking for.

But he DID again get the largest MLB contract, so maybe Boras is not so dumb after all.

As for Santana, I don't think Hank is bluffing. They are plenty pleased with Hughes and Cabrera and they are not looking to unload them. Moresom, they are who the Twins asked for and now they are getting coy.

Insomniac
12-03-07, 03:56 PM
They were planning on giving him a raise and extention anyway if he didn't choose to opt out. They just wanted the $21MM from the Rangers to help make it happen.

In the end, Arod wrote a $21MM check to the Yankees to compensate the loss of Rangers money and he got about what they were going to give him. And it is nowhere near the $350MM Boras was looking for.

But he DID again get the largest MLB contract, so maybe Boras is not so dumb after all.

As for Santana, I don't think Hank is bluffing. They are plenty pleased with Hughes and Cabrera and they are not looking to unload them. Moresom, they are who the Twins asked for and now they are getting coy.

You can justify A-Rod all you want. :p He opted out, I didn't see anyone who made a big offer (did I miss something?) and the Yankees gave him a raise. From my perspective, they had the upper hand and didn't make any use of it. I mean, I'd love to quit my job because I want more money, not be able to find a new job and get my old job back with a raise too. ;)

Pettitte did say he's coming back, so I'm not sure if that will matter. But it's Johan Santana. And the thought the Red Sox could get him if the Yankees pull out won't keep them from trying still.

Andrew Longman
12-03-07, 04:33 PM
You can justify A-Rod all you want. :p He opted out, I didn't see anyone who made a big offer (did I miss something?) and the Yankees gave him a raise.

Three things you may not be considering... First, they Yankees actually like the idea of having the highest paid player. Remember last year when they signed Clemens and the big deal they made out of him having the highest prorated annual salaries. It buys a lot of publicity and in their minds adds to their prestige

Secondly, they Yankees made it clear they were not going to get into a bidding war (as if anyone but the Bosox and Dodgers could possible outbid them anyway. As usual, they Yanks were bidding against themselves)

Third the Yankees got their 3rd base needs met with the best player in baseball and without giving up anything, especially starting pitching.

Ankf00
12-03-07, 04:37 PM
Secondly, they Yankees made it clear they were not going to get into a bidding war (as if anyone but the Bosox and Dodgers could possible outbid them anyway. As usual, they Yanks were bidding against themselves)

Anaheim too

Andrew Longman
12-03-07, 05:43 PM
Anaheim too

Sure, but that's about it

dando
12-03-07, 05:52 PM
The Mets and Cubbies could have been involved, 2, but that's it. The Cubbies would have been unlikely due to the Trib trying to sell them off. In any case, I'm all for the NYY bidding against themselves. Especially for Mrs. October. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-03-07, 08:04 PM
The Mets and Cubbies could have been involved, 2, but that's it. The Cubbies would have been unlikely due to the Trib trying to sell them off. In any case, I'm all for the NYY bidding against themselves. Especially for Mrs. October. :gomer:

-Kevin

With Wright at 3rd and Reyes at 2nd, the Mets never seriously had interest. He wouldn't have fit without making a lot of unpopular changes and didn't address their real need which is pitching. And as much as they'd like to outbid the Yanks its never going to happen and they know it. George wouldn't allow it.

Cubbies, as you said, normally might have had an ability to take on the contract, but not a good idea when the Trib is trying to sell.

That's actually the thing I never understood about Boras talking $350MM. Almost no one BUT the Yanks had a need for a 3rd baseman of ARod calibre AND the ability/willingness to pay. Bosox afterall had a 3rd baseman who just won Series MVP.

Why not AT LEAST take a meeting with the Yanks to see what sort of extension they were offering before deciding to opt out?

Sean O'Gorman
12-03-07, 08:44 PM
I don't want Santana to leave the AL Central, hes alot of free wins for the Tribe. :thumbup:

Insomniac
12-04-07, 10:06 AM
Three things you may not be considering... First, they Yankees actually like the idea of having the highest paid player. Remember last year when they signed Clemens and the big deal they made out of him having the highest prorated annual salaries. It buys a lot of publicity and in their minds adds to their prestige

Third the Yankees got their 3rd base needs met with the best player in baseball and without giving up anything, especially starting pitching.

All good points. I agree it was a good move despite his October ineptness. It just entertains me when things like that happen. The Red Sox aren't immune to it (J.D. Drew for example).

Insomniac
12-04-07, 10:10 AM
With Wright at 3rd and Reyes at 2nd, the Mets never seriously had interest. He wouldn't have fit without making a lot of unpopular changes and didn't address their real need which is pitching. And as much as they'd like to outbid the Yanks its never going to happen and they know it. George wouldn't allow it.

Cubbies, as you said, normally might have had an ability to take on the contract, but not a good idea when the Trib is trying to sell.

That's actually the thing I never understood about Boras talking $350MM. Almost no one BUT the Yanks had a need for a 3rd baseman of ARod calibre AND the ability/willingness to pay. Bosox afterall had a 3rd baseman who just won Series MVP.

Why not AT LEAST take a meeting with the Yanks to see what sort of extension they were offering before deciding to opt out?

Mike Lowell was a free agent. If the NYYs signed him to play 3rd base, it would've been interesting to see what the Red Sox did. I'm not sure how much more they can spend, and I'm also not sure if they can even make much more money as well.

On Boras, must be ego. Had nothing to lose to see what the Yanks would offer. At a minimum, they lost the $21M Texas was sending to NY.

Andrew Longman
12-04-07, 10:41 AM
I agree it was a good move despite his October ineptness.

He wasn't inept this Fall. The Yanks lost because of inept starting pitching and midges.

The important thing IMO was their ability to keep/improve their starting pitching. They still need one more starter and/or an 8th inning pitcher, but personally I don't want to give up Melky. He has gotten no respect from the organization but he has done everything they've asked, brought great defensive skills to CF and has those intangible spark plug style otherwise missing in the clubhouse.

Insomniac
12-04-07, 03:38 PM
He wasn't inept this Fall. The Yanks lost because of inept starting pitching and midges.

There was a pretty big difference between Regular Season A-Rod and Postseason A-Rod. The best players step it up in the postseason. It was an average performance, but he should be turning out above-average ones.

dando
12-04-07, 03:49 PM
There was a pretty big difference between Regular Season A-Rod and Postseason A-Rod. The best players step it up in the postseason. It was an average performance, but he should be turning out above-average ones.

1 HR, 1 RBI and a .267 average is pretty pedestrian considering hit regular season #s. Jeter, Posada, and Matsui were horrific with < .200 averages.

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
12-05-07, 09:38 AM
Son of a .

I didn't see this one coming

Cabrera and Willis to Detroit (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3141990)

Ripped
12-05-07, 11:12 AM
Son of a .

Cabrera and Willis to Detroit (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3141990)

Yeah, that one caught me off guard as well. The winter meetings are going to shake things up this year it seems. Hope my Brewer's can come out on top. They need to patch up the hits the bullpen has taken.

devilmaster
12-06-07, 10:54 AM
Son of a .

http://sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/tigers.gif

dando
12-06-07, 11:37 AM
http://sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/tigers.gif

Where's the Lions smiley? :D

-Kevin

dando
12-06-07, 12:10 PM
Morons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3143653

Jones is a .263 career hitter with 368 home runs and 1,117 RBIs. He was runner-up for the NL MVP award in 2005, when he had 51 homers and 128 RBIs. The following season he hit 41 home runs with a career-high 129 RBIs.

Jones' $18.1 million average salary trails only those of the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez ($27.5 million), Boston's Manny Ramirez ($20 million), the Yankees' Derek Jeter ($18.9 million), and the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano ($18.3 million).

Are you kidding me? :saywhat: Dude shouldn't be making what he made last season. :mad:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-06-07, 01:22 PM
Morons.

Are you kidding me? :saywhat: Dude shouldn't be making what he made last season. :mad:

-Kevin

Whew. There's been talk of him coming to the Yanks and them shipping Melke out. I don't what Jones and I want Melke

Insomniac
12-06-07, 01:55 PM
Morons.

-Kevin

J.D. Drew, 5-Yr, $70M ($14M/yr) I suppose the Grand Slam is worth $14M by itself, but the Red Sox win the morons derby. :)

dando
12-06-07, 02:20 PM
J.D. Drew, 5-Yr, $70M ($14M/yr) I suppose the Grand Slam is worth $14M by itself, but the Red Sox win the morons derby. :)

Well, the Dodgers had Drew before your Sox, so we're one up on ya. Plus, they signed Jason POS Schmidt to a $15mm per deal as a FA. :irked: Oh, and there's the Daren Dreifort 5 year, $55mm deal they did, which was effectively turned into a $55mm deal for one season. :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Dreifort

(Calculated by the contract, that equaled $267,431.68 per inning pitched.)

And of course the Kevin Brown debacle....

*sigh*

But @ least we didn't sign Zito to 7 year, $126mm contract. :gomer:

<insert Barry Zito sucks post by Corky here>

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-06-07, 03:04 PM
But @ least we didn't sign Zito to 7 year, $126mm contract. :gomer:

That Zito signing I think will be looked at in time as a good thing... by everybody but Giants fans.

That contract set the bar so high for mediocre pitching that teams, I think, are choosing to hang on to their talent. That's definitely why the Yanks passed on Santana. They were going to give two of there best young pitchers, arguably two of their two best period who could help them win for ten years, plus the center field solution to what has been a problem for several years AND pay well above the Zito line? I don't think so.

The risk is if Santana lands in Boston. In that case the Yankees could be chasing the Sox for the next 7-8 years instead of the other way around.

Insomniac
12-06-07, 04:09 PM
Well, the Dodgers had Drew before your Sox, so we're one up on ya. Plus, they signed Jason POS Schmidt to a $15mm per deal as a FA. :irked: Oh, and there's the Daren Dreifort 5 year, $55mm deal they did, which was effectively turned into a $55mm deal for one season. :mad:

The funny thing is, J.D. Drew opted out of his contract. Dodger fans were ecstatic, you guys never thought he'd see that much money (that he opted out of) and the Red Sox give him a raise. I thought maybe they woke up, but just ended up adding some clauses in years 4 and 5 if he has shoulder problems.

Insomniac
12-15-07, 03:03 PM
Now it appears the two teams are back at it.

The New York Daily News and The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J. reported that the Yankees and Twins have had "a couple of brief calls" recently and Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said Friday the door is "not closed" for the Yankees to pull off the deal.

"It's up to Minnesota what they want to do and I assume they're still thinking about trading him," Steinbrenner said, according to the Daily News. "As far as what I'm going to do, I don't know. There's been a couple of brief calls. The door's not closed.

"I'm still thinking about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3156038

They can't keep away. :)

Andrew Longman
12-16-07, 12:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3156038

They can't keep away. :)

Yes this seems to be non news though. Hughes was in play but not Kennedy too. Twins have shopped around and aren'i seeing anything better.

In fact, I think Santana's stock is dropping a but now that its clear who the serious players are.

If Santana becomes a Yank I'd be shocked if more than Hughes and a minor leaguer or two go in exchange

Insomniac
12-16-07, 11:33 AM
Yes this seems to be non news though. Hughes was in play but not Kennedy too. Twins have shopped around and aren'i seeing anything better.

In fact, I think Santana's stock is dropping a but now that its clear who the serious players are.

If Santana becomes a Yank I'd be shocked if more than Hughes and a minor leaguer or two go in exchange

I wouldn't call it non-news. They're still talking. If the talks were "you have our proposal", I'd call that non-news.

Insomniac
01-30-08, 10:19 PM
Looks like the Mets will get him. As a Red Sox fan, this works out well. Trading Ellsbury plus paying him $150-$175M for him is a lot. I think Lester and Crisp was OK, but not Ellsbury. The Yankees didn't get him either, and he'll be in the NL for a few years now.

Andrew Longman
01-31-08, 05:36 AM
Looks like the Mets will get him. As a Red Sox fan, this works out well. Trading Ellsbury plus paying him $150-$175M for him is a lot. I think Lester and Crisp was OK, but not Ellsbury. The Yankees didn't get him either, and he'll be in the NL for a few years now.

As a Yankees fans I like it. Boston didn't get him. They Yanks didn't give up young pitching or get off their game plan to get him. He's out of the AL. I'm even happy Boston didn't screw up their team to get him. Keeps the rivalry good.

And good for the Mets. They gave up too much and they will overpay but they will get s few more headlines.

Insomniac
01-31-08, 10:49 AM
As a Yankees fans I like it. Boston didn't get him. They Yanks didn't give up young pitching or get off their game plan to get him. He's out of the AL. I'm even happy Boston didn't screw up their team to get him. Keeps the rivalry good.

And good for the Mets. They gave up too much and they will overpay but they will get s few more headlines.

The Mets gave up 4 prospects. They didn't give up too much for Santana. The Twins got less now than they were getting proposals for last year. The Mets will benefit greatly from this. Santana's number will be even better.