PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Game - Champ Car Clue

Gnam
11-28-07, 07:25 PM
There's a new merger rumor around...http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7149/bearblahoe3.gif link (http://murphythebear.com/blog/2007/11/28/65-redacted/), but unlike earlier predictions, which were take it or leave it propositions, this one's fill-in-the blank.

You've got to figure out:
1) the identity of the investor
2) the business he founded
3) what's the new thing he's working on
4) what's getting bought
5) what's getting sold
6) what's the exclusive deal
7) who gets the deal

Anyone want to play? Just fill in the blanks below.

Do you know who (redacted) is?”

“He’s the guy who founded (redacted), and is working on a new (redacted), right?”

“Yes, and (redacted) wants to invest,” the Beaver said.

“Well they’re talking to (redacted) about buying (redacted).”

“If that works out, then they’ll sell (redacted) to (redacted), who will merge (redacted) and (redacted). (redacted) will then get exclusive (redacted).

trish
11-28-07, 07:43 PM

I give up.

Racing Truth
11-28-07, 08:54 PM
Well, I'm actually gonna think about this, but remember, MTB is a fool. Read the whole d@mn thing, and you'll see what I mean.

nissan gtp
11-28-07, 08:58 PM
pure BS

Racing Truth
11-28-07, 09:12 PM
There's a new merger rumor around...http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7149/bearblahoe3.gif link (http://murphythebear.com/blog/2007/11/28/65-redacted/), but unlike earlier predictions, which were take it or leave it propositions, this one's fill-in-the blank.

You've got to figure out:
1) the identity of the investor
2) the business he founded
3) what's the new thing he's working on
4) what's getting bought
5) what's getting sold
6) what's the exclusive deal
7) who gets the deal

Anyone want to play? Just fill in the blanks below.

I dunno why I'm bothering, but here are some thoughts, mostly on #1.

Friend of Kalkhoven? Maybe someone who founded the JDS in JDS Uniphase? I have to at least mention TG, but the context tells me no.

Beyond that..?

4-7 seem simple though. 4- CC. 5. CC 6. Engine? Ownership revenue? 7. Ultimately, TG.

Edit: Funny, sorta thought, for #1. Vince McMahon:gomer: :yuck:

trish
11-28-07, 09:17 PM
I don't think TG has anything to do with it. Maybe it goes back to that rumor about Don Panoz buying CC.

Racing Truth
11-28-07, 09:21 PM
:sigh: Gawd, I can't believe I'm saying this, but if the MTB thing is true (highly doubtful), the Panoz angle makes more sense than anything else I've got. Unfortunately, that's Iglooboy's theory, so it's likely the exact opposite.

Racing Truth
11-28-07, 09:22 PM
I don't think TG has anything to do with it. Maybe it goes back to that rumor about Don Panoz buying CC.

Yeah, but to complete the wild-arse theory, there's no mergification w/o TG. So, he'd be involved.

Indy
11-28-07, 09:36 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but it works in this thread, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't read about this anywhere else, so someone may have pointed this out already, but he is definitely referring to Mark Cuban. Cuban's Magnolia Pictures currently has a film out called "Redacted." He has generated controversy in film circles by redacting (ironically) portions of the film against the wishes of the director Brian DePalma.

So, to fill some of The Bear's redactions:

“Do you know who (Mark Cuban) is?” asked Connor.

“He’s the guy who founded (Broadcast.com), and is working on a new (HD network), right?”

“Yes, and (Cuban) wants to invest,” the Beaver said.

“What then?”

“Well they’re talking to (Kalkhoven and Forsythe) about buying (CCWS, LLC).”

“If that works out, then they’ll sell (CCWS, LLC) to (Tony George), who will merge (Champ Car) and (Indy Car). (Cuban) will then get exclusive (broadcast rights for HDNet).

Good guess?

The odd thing is that I heard something about Cuban being interested in Champ Car. Which seemed odd to me because of his being on the dancing show with Twinkle Toes.

It sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but stranger things have happened.

Sean Malone
11-28-07, 10:01 PM
This is actually a pretty interesting thread. Champ Car is at a point where anyone from anywhere could step in and play.

Andrew Longman
11-28-07, 10:56 PM
But answer this. Given the lack of sponsorship, does anyone think they KK, GF, PG, DP will continue to run cars out of their pockets if it no longer is protecting their investment in the series. Without those cars the thing ****cans in a second.

I can believe they would be happy to run just the teams, but whoever they sell it too has to make a pretty convincing argument that they will do the marketing thing to bring in advertisers, title/series/team/event sponsors, that will make the whole thing work. Otherwise they might as well keep wacking at it themselves.

Sean Malone
11-28-07, 10:58 PM
But answer this. Given the lack of sponsorship, does anyone think they KK, GF, PG, DP will continue to run cars out of their pockets if it no longer is protecting their investment in the series. Without those cars the thing ****cans in a second.

I can believe they would be happy to run just the teams, but whoever they sell it too has to make a pretty convincing argument that they will do the marketing thing to bring in advertisers, title/series/team/event sponsors, that will make the whole thing work. Otherwise they might as well keep wacking at it themselves.

Maybe the new buyer is the advertiser. :)

RusH
11-29-07, 08:41 AM
Murphy the Bear is Paul Collins :gomer:

Spicoli
11-29-07, 08:54 AM
Besides a nice exit stategy for KK/unka Gerra, what does this do for tG that other offers have not? Lord Douchnozzle thinks CCWS will just eventually fold and become his.

why should he buy anything?

jonovision_man
11-29-07, 09:09 AM
The odd thing is that I heard something about Cuban being interested in Champ Car. Which seemed odd to me because of his being on the dancing show with Twinkle Toes.

I can see Helio and Cuban talking backstage.

I can see Cuban thinking "there's something to this racing stuff" and thinking he's got the goods to turn it around and make it cool and successful. I can see him looking at the current management and feeling he could do much much better.

I can even see him talking to Tony George (who was in the audience).

But what doesn't make sense is KK selling to Cuban who then sells to Tony... it just doesn't quite work for me. Why would Cuban go through so much to get the rights to a floundering sport, when he could probably get them for free just by asking.

jono

emjaya
11-29-07, 09:17 AM
And if Cuban buys Champcar and TG doesn't buy it off him, what then? :saywhat:

Sean Malone
11-29-07, 09:23 AM
Besides a nice exit stategy for KK/unka Gerra, what does this do for tG that other offers have not? Lord Douchnozzle thinks CCWS will just eventually fold and become his.

Long Beach is worth a mill I would think.

Cam
11-29-07, 09:32 AM
And if Cuban buys Champcar and TG doesn't buy it off him, what then? :saywhat:

Surfers freezes over?

emjaya
11-29-07, 09:43 AM
Surfers freezes over?

:cry:

SteveH
11-29-07, 10:51 AM
Wait a minute, there's a merger in the works and the only person to write about it is some sports car blogger that goes by the name of a stuffed bear?

Riiiiiiight ;)

Racing Truth
11-29-07, 12:21 PM

Depends on who the "buyer" is, maybe? Getting a guy like Cuban involved, for instance, might be worth it. If nothing else, TG might not like to face Cuban heads-up.

G.
11-29-07, 12:26 PM
If nothing else, TG might not like to face Cuban heads-up.I don't really get that; Stupid people don't know that they're stupid. They have no fear.

Spicoli
11-29-07, 12:52 PM
I don't really get that; Stupid people don't know that they're stupid. They have no fear.

100000000000000000x agreed. The Speedway Village Idiot has an obvious reluctancy to learnin and what makes you think it would start now?

He has proven over and over that "winning" is more important than anything, including flushin 100mill+ down the toilet on a league/series that absolutely no one GAF about.

:shakehead

extramundane
11-29-07, 01:06 PM
Murphy the Bear is Paul Collins :gomer:

Not quite, but close enough.

Indy
11-29-07, 11:30 PM
Cuban is always fishing around for a deal. He has pieces of a whole lot of companies. This would be small potatoes for him.

Maybe he is thinking he can ESPN/NASCAR the thing and put HDNet on the map.

Or maybe ol' Rog is feeding the Ursine a line of bear **** again.

G.
11-30-07, 12:11 AM
Cuban already tried to get HDNET on the map by running CC races. Time to try again, or are we channeling TF wild-*** guesses?

Gnam
11-30-07, 04:36 AM
I haven't read about this anywhere else, ...but he is definitely referring to Mark Cuban.

I don't know...

from Mark Cuban's bio on the Mavericks site (http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/cuban_bio000329.html):

When Mark Cuban purchased the Dallas Mavericks on January 14, 2000, the face of the organization began to change immediately. Once again Mavericks games had a party atmosphere as Reunion Arena rocked with the return of the "Reunion Rowdies." Mavericks games became more than just ordinary NBA games - they were a total entertainment experience.

(can you say festival?) :tony:

Cuban was not only successful at instilling a sense of pride and passion into Mavericks fans by presenting himself as the ultimate role model by cheering from the same seats he had in years past, but he also became the first owner in team sports to encourage fan interaction through e-mail on his personal computer. It was through this personal touch that fans throughout the Metroplex, and around the world, began to notice Cuban's energetic personality and take notice of the Mavericks. He has personally responded to thousands of emails, and several suggestions from fans...

...it's clearly a match made in heaven. :D

KLang
11-30-07, 07:49 AM
channeling TF wild-*** guesses?

And the winner is :thumbup:

Sean Malone
11-30-07, 09:04 AM
If only Champ Car could be owned, ran and modeled by people who have an actual clue to what open wheel racing is. Oh well. If it was a perfect world beer wouldn't give me a beer gut. But it's the price I pay. :D

RusH
11-30-07, 07:46 PM
Not quite, but close enough.

:D

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2078757&postcount=13

:rofl: signed... rushTard

SteveH
11-30-07, 08:00 PM
FWIW, Murphy the Bear (Tom Kjos) lost his wife last night to an undisclosed illness
http://lastturnclub.com/index.php

RusH
11-30-07, 08:05 PM
:(

extramundane
11-30-07, 10:34 PM
FWIW, Murphy the Bear (Tom Kjos) lost his wife last night to an undisclosed illness
http://lastturnclub.com/index.php

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear that, TWK.

Gnam
12-01-07, 02:31 AM
http://img73.exs.cx/img73/3835/t3ucryingbear.jpg

Sorry to hear that. :(

formulaben
12-01-07, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Here's my 2 cents, just for fun.

“Do you know who (Tony George) is?” asked Connor.

“He’s the guy who founded (the IRL), and is working on a new (re-Vision), right?”

“Yes, and (ABC/Disney) wants to invest,” the Beaver said.

“What then?”

“Well they’re talking to (Kalkhoven and Forsythe) about buying (CCWS, LLC).”

“If that works out, then they’ll sell (CCWS, LLC) to (Tony George), who will merge (Champ Car) and (Indy Car). (ABC/Disney) will then get exclusive (long-term broadcast rights).