PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

vancouver
11-22-07, 09:15 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Hope you have a great time today!

Ok I have just seen the other Thanksgiving related thread... can we have 2? feel free to delete mine or merge?

nrc
11-22-07, 11:38 AM
Happy Thankgsgiving to you and everyone here. We're thankful for all our friends here who keep us entertained throughout the year. Everyone please stay safe.

Two is fine. The other thread is a bit more focused on celebrations featuring plummeting poultry. :)

TKGAngel
11-22-07, 11:58 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope you all enjoy your family, friends and turkey today.

Personally, I'm thankful that even though my car was more than likely totaled yesterday, I wasn't. :)

Insomniac
11-22-07, 11:59 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

eiregosod
11-22-07, 12:18 PM
destined for gorgefest turkey next year ;)

trish
11-22-07, 12:42 PM
I hope you all have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving day holiday!

KLang
11-22-07, 04:03 PM
Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Guess I'd better get to work and get ours in the oven. :D

Cam
11-22-07, 06:15 PM
*grumble*

Hope all had a good turkey day. :)

eiregosod
11-22-07, 10:36 PM
*grumble*

Hope all had a good turkey day. :)

have to wait until Christmas for Turkey!

dando
11-23-07, 12:51 AM
Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Guess I'd better get to work and get ours in the oven. :D

Oven. Meh. :gomer: Cooked/smoked ours on the grill today. :cool: Hope y'all had a happy and safe T-day, yo.

-Kevin

KLang
11-23-07, 09:21 AM
Oven. Meh. :gomer: Cooked/smoked ours on the grill today. :cool: Hope y'all had a happy and safe T-day, yo.

-Kevin

My prefered method is frying. :cool: Back to the oven this time for a change of pace.

This is the second time I've tried brining and I just don't see a difference in the finished bird.

G.
11-23-07, 11:25 AM
My prefered method is frying. :cool: Back to the oven this time for a change of pace.

This is the second time I've tried brining and I just don't see a difference in the finished bird.If your bird was frozen, it most likely (?) was already brined. Just found that info out.

Frozen birds have a "solution added", "water added", "contains 2% salt solution", etc.

I found that out from a not un-reliable source, but certainly not the gospel according to turducken.

(John Kass column in the Chi Trib.)

If your turkey comes with a sticker that says "salt added" and/or "liquid added," well, it's already been brined, SO DON'T BRINE IT.

If the turkey has not been pre-brined, then take two quarts of cold apple juice, one cup of kosher salt, two tablespoons each of sage, thyme, rosemary and freshly ground black pepper. Stir it together, cold. By this time your turkey has been thoroughly thawed and rinsed and cleaned. Place it breast-side down in a heavy plastic brining bag. DO NOT USE A CHEMICALLY SCENTED GARBAGE BAG.

might need 2 register? (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass_21nov21,1,5816806.column)

This shizzle true? C'mon, SOMEONE here must have spent a better part of their youth hacking poor turkeys to death, so that I may cook up a beautiful bird for the fam.

dando
11-23-07, 12:22 PM

This is the second time I've tried brining and I just don't see a difference in the finished bird.

Yeah, I rotate methods as well. I was planning on frying this year, but the weather forecast was iffy and I refuse to do it in the garage. :saywhat:

I'd hafta try brined and unbrined birds side by side to know the difference, but I do think brining helps with fresh birds, which is what I use. I tried Alton Brown's honey brined recipe this year:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29147,00.html

Tasty. :cool:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-23-07, 12:51 PM

what G said. also if it was "self-basting" it should have a X% solution tag at the bottom of the label.

brining makes a huge diff on a fresh gobbler.

KLang
11-23-07, 12:53 PM
Fresh organic bird and Apple & Spice brine from Williams-Sonoma. For all the $ invested I expected more. I don't think it was really any different then just using a fresh Butterball from the grocery store and skipping the brine. Not bad just doesn't seem worth the extra time and money.

dando
11-23-07, 01:11 PM
Apple & Spice brine from Williams-Sonoma.

Meh. Make your own brine for just a few $$$. Many good recipes on food.com. H2O, salt and veggie broth and then add the aromatics you like. It's bloody simple to boot.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
11-23-07, 03:02 PM
I don't think it was really any different then just using a fresh Butterball from the grocery store and skipping the brine. You're right. Brining, whether you do it at home or the agribiz processor does it to a Butterball, is used to replace moisture and the flavor that was bred out of turkeys on the way to becoming industrial protein delivery devices. Organic birds don't have the growth hormones, antibiotics, etc, but are generally the same flavorless white birds.

If you want to know what turkey tasted like before the ag colleges "optimized" birds white and flavorless for industrial production get a Bourbon Red, Bronze, Narragansett or Buff from a local source. Same for pork which wasn't always a flavorless white meat. If you already have organic fresh birds in your area then heirloom breeds won't be far behind.

oc

Ankf00
11-23-07, 04:10 PM
williams sonoma brine and organic bird was too fancy for us :D If you went to those lengths and costs, I understand the frustration. Like Dando said, brine can be cheap n easy.

If you want to know what turkey tasted like before the ag colleges "optimized" birds white and flavorless for industrial production get a Bourbon Red, Bronze, Narragansett or Buff from a local source.oc
Where do Rio Grandes fit into this? B/c those are easy to catch, just need 2 hands :D

datachicane
11-23-07, 06:00 PM
Like Dando said, brine can be cheap n easy.

Yep- we hit a local orchard every October for fresh cider, get an extra gallon to leave out and 'mature'- makes a nice brine base come Thanksgiving.

oddlycalm
11-24-07, 03:35 PM
Where do Rio Grandes fit into this? Wild birds are a whole other subject, but they eat real good as well. Both heirloom farm breeds I listed and wild birds have a lot less fat on them than the white agribiz birds do.

For some folks one turkey just isn't enough. Here's 10 getting cooked at once over the open flames.

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/1/41860.jpg

oc

Ankf00
11-25-07, 12:58 AM
you have 2 kamados? snazzy.

Andrew Longman
11-25-07, 11:15 AM
Two birds. One in the water smoker with a cider and wine solution below and one in the oven.

28 people over plus kids. Nearly picked 'em clean but enough leftovers for sandwiches all weekend (white and dark meat on toasted homemade wheat bread with a little mayo, cranberry sauce, black pepper and romaine lettuce. :D )

Its been a good weekend of family, food and football. Best holiday of the year. Hope the same for you.

oddlycalm
11-25-07, 06:59 PM
you have 2 kamados? snazzy. Nah, mine's green. I just thought a brace of 10 at once looked real festive. :gomer:

oc

dando
11-25-07, 07:29 PM
28 people over plus kids.

Kids are people, too, yo. ;) I'm amazed by the size of your clan's holiday gatherings. :eek: We had 20 or so total last Xmas eve, followed by 6 kids and ~12 adults on Christmas. There isn't enough JD for me do that again. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
11-25-07, 07:50 PM
Kids are people, too, yo. ;) -Kevin

Yeah but they don't eat the same. I think my youngest had a hot dog and mash potatos.

Yeah we do it big. Its my Italian half. When we do it in AC on the off year at my cousins it even bigger because his in laws and their extended clan are too old to travel now.

And we did much of it all over again yesterday with my wife's family because it was my Greek nephew's 7th birthday. Oopah! Ham this time. :)

Sad thing is these gatherings are starting to get smaller because the oldest of us are dying off and the youngest are starting to be off in college or Russia or something. But it will continue

dando
11-26-08, 10:57 AM
iafzqOCaxA4

:D

To this day I swear turkeys could fly.

:thumbup:

RIP, Gordon Jump. :(

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-26-08, 11:53 AM
^^^^^ One of the funniest bits of all time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :thumbup: :)

Andrew Longman
11-26-08, 12:05 PM
Eat up. Watch Football. Be Well :D

Will be in AC with the clan as usual. Eating.

dando
11-26-08, 11:06 PM
2nd best Thxgiving show evar:

gV-LsMhSbCE

kNzos1xpr4E

Z8GSKBc9UFY

:rofl: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

trish
11-26-08, 11:39 PM
Happy Thanksgiving and safe travel!

BZSetshot
11-27-08, 12:13 AM
May you all enjoy a wonderful holiday in company of Family, Friends or loved ones, as well as safe travel to all who are away.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Napoleon
11-27-08, 07:26 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Well I am making a baked pasta dish, no turkey for me, but I intend to enjoy the day.

Stu
11-27-08, 10:49 AM
no turkey for me

commie.

TKGAngel
11-27-08, 11:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving all!

My favorite Thanksgiving clip:

HZNCSyWy_0s

TravelGal
11-28-08, 09:26 PM
My favorite clip also. :D

Is it too late to ask all you gourmands out there: WHAT the heck do you do with the liver?

We buy at least one and sometimes more fresh turkeys a year. I like the way I cook it. I have use for the neck, the gizzard, and the heart. It seems a terrible shame to toss the liver but I am loathe to try any recipe that is not OC approved.

Methanolandbrats
11-28-08, 09:27 PM
Is it too late to ask all you gourmands out there: WHAT the heck do you do with the liver? I throw it out in the yard for the wildlife.

TravelGal
11-28-08, 09:29 PM
I throw it out in the yard for the wildlife.

I knew I liked you. ;)

trish
11-28-08, 09:38 PM
My favorite clip also. :D

Is it too late to ask all you gourmands out there: WHAT the heck do you do with the liver?

We buy at least one and sometimes more fresh turkeys a year. I like the way I cook it. I have use for the neck, the gizzard, and the heart. It seems a terrible shame to toss the liver but I am loathe to try any recipe that is not OC approved.

Flour, season and fry. Make a turkey liver pate. Feed it to your dog.

Napoleon
11-29-08, 07:35 AM
commie.

You know I end up cooking just for me so the idea of cooking a whole turkey seems a little much. I even tried to buy just the breast a few years ago but could not find it around Thanksgiving.

Napoleon
11-29-08, 07:40 AM
As long as we are posting West Wing Thanksgiving clips,
President Bartlet calls the Butterball hot line.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcGEcKjSu4)

TravelGal
11-29-08, 05:07 PM
As long as we are posting West Wing Thanksgiving clips,
President Bartlet calls the Butterball hot line.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcGEcKjSu4)

that was excellent. we should post these once a week. (you'll get that if you watched the clip)

Much more fun than discussing liver.

oddlycalm
11-29-08, 10:00 PM
You know I end up cooking just for me so the idea of cooking a whole turkey seems a little much. I even tried to buy just the breast a few years ago but could not find it around Thanksgiving.
For future reference you can get bone-in breast from Jennie-O (http://www.jennieo.com/products/OvenReady/default.aspx). We've done both the bone-in breast and the half turkey they used to sell and both were excellent quality IMO. They come in a roasting bag so it's a no brainer. We have too big a crowd for the holidays and do a large bird but if the two of us feel like turkey this is what we buy. Comes with a gravy packet as well.

oc

dando
11-29-08, 10:36 PM

Just saw your query, TG....I use the liver in my turkey stock for my gravy based on an Emeril recipe from FoodTV. I combine recipes from Alton Brown and Emeril for much of my Turkey Day offerings.

-Kevin

Napoleon
11-30-08, 07:57 AM
For future reference you can get bone-in breast from Jennie-O (http://www.jennieo.com/products/OvenReady/default.aspx). We've done both the bone-in breast and the half turkey they used to sell and both were excellent quality IMO. They come in a roasting bag so it's a no brainer. We have too big a crowd for the holidays and do a large bird but if the two of us feel like turkey this is what we buy. Comes with a gravy packet as well.

oc

Thanks

The funny thing is a couple of hours after I posted I went to the grocery store and while looking in the freezer section ran into 3 lbs boneless breast, so I bought one for Christmas. That is perfect size.

JLMannin
11-30-08, 11:15 PM
Flour, season and fry. Make a turkey liver pate. Feed it to your dog.

That's what I do - well, minus the flour and seasoning. Blossom loves me. I even pick off the meat from the neck bones to give to her.

trish
11-30-08, 11:47 PM
That's what I do - well, minus the flour and seasoning. Blossom loves me. I even pick off the meat from the neck bones to give to her.

I should have put a number after each one. LOL I'm not advocating feeding turkey liver pate to a dog.

Andrew Longman
12-01-08, 10:32 AM
Cats love poultry liver too... just for the record

Insomniac
12-01-08, 05:54 PM
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!