PDA

View Full Version : My computer's giving me s***

Dirk Diggler
11-22-07, 02:05 AM
Ok, tech types...

Everything on my computer is microscopic. It happened suddenly the other day when I opened up a rather large power point disc - my computer got really bogged down so I closed everything out, removed the disk, and restarted it. Bam! Everything is tiny.

I deleted everything associated with the Power Point. I went through Control Panel/Display. I tried System Restore. No help. I fumbled around until what I now have are decent sized icons, and decent sized tool bars, but everything else is making me blind. What the hell?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cam
11-22-07, 07:03 AM
Screen resolution is?

Dirk Diggler
11-22-07, 12:12 PM
1600 x 1200.

Wallpaper is fine, fonts are ok. Everything else is micro.:(

trish
11-22-07, 03:26 PM
Try fixing it from safe mode.

Edit: Maybe you need to update your web browser.

Insomniac
11-22-07, 04:37 PM
Try some of the built-in themes/appearances.

Cam
11-22-07, 06:20 PM
CTRL-+???

trish
11-22-07, 07:07 PM
CTRL-+???

That's pretty cool. I hope I remember that one.

G.
11-23-07, 11:57 AM
Same thing happened to me, dunno why. I fixered it, but I can't tell you what I did. Not bc it's a secret, but because I just don't know.:laugh:

I mucked with the control panel> appearance and themes. Mucked with screen resolution (lowered it), then mucked with my video-card driver SW a bit (I upgraded the motherboard vid driver with something better). It worked, but my background/theme stayed about 2/3 full screen size. I magically fixed that by going into the theme selector (cont pan>Appear and theme) and reselecting the same damn theme.

Any progress?

Let me know if my advice helps. Sorry I had to get all technical on you. Hope you can follow.:gomer:

Dirk Diggler
11-23-07, 11:08 PM
Sorry I had to get all technical on you. Hope you can follow.:gomer:

Sadly, you were right at my level!:laugh:

No, no progress yet. In fact I'm not convinced that it hasn't shrunk even more. I tried a system restore for over a month back. Everything came up just the way I wanted, then the screen went blank, and poof - microscopic settings again.:mad:

Or, maybe those other websites I look at really ARE making me blind.:p

Well, it's laugh or cry right now.

Dirk Diggler
11-23-07, 11:40 PM
Try fixing it from safe mode.

Edit: Maybe you need to update your web browser.

Thanks, but that didn't do it either.:(

trish
11-24-07, 10:39 AM
What kind of computer do you have?

Dirk Diggler
11-25-07, 12:13 AM
Ok, now I feel like those people who call "Car Talk" and ask why their Yugo won't run...:o

It's an old one, a Dell laptop, 8100 series. I can almost bench press it.

trish
11-25-07, 12:26 AM
Ok, now I feel like those people who call "Car Talk" and ask why their Yugo won't run...:o

It's an old one, a Dell laptop, 8100 series. I can almost bench press it.I still have an old compaq that came with windows 95. Still going strong. I upgraded it to windows 98 a few years ago.

Anyway, when you opened your powerpoint file, did it download anything? Obviously it changed a setting.

I know you said you have the latest browser installed, but maybe you should reinstall it.

RusH
11-25-07, 02:32 AM
I still have an old compaq that came with windows 95. Still going strong. I upgraded it to windows 98 a few years ago.

Anyway, when you opened your powerpoint file, did it download anything? Obviously it changed a setting.

I know you said you have the latest browser installed, but maybe you should reinstall it.

Next thing you are going to tell us is that your Mosaic browser is an option :gomer:

OK,,OK,,Anyhow... I got some black Friday jokes going because I`m procrastinating on my PC upgrade........ thanks to my new 22 inch Samsung LCD monitor..for $199 :thumbup:

TravelGal
11-25-07, 05:21 AM
Sadly, you were right at my level!:laugh:

No, no progress yet. In fact I'm not convinced that it hasn't shrunk even more. I tried a system restore for over a month back. Everything came up just the way I wanted, then the screen went blank, and poof - microscopic settings again.:mad:

Or, maybe those other websites I look at really ARE making me blind.:p

Well, it's laugh or cry right now.

It's making ME laugh. :gomer:

Insomniac
11-25-07, 10:04 AM
I'm a little confused. Is it only your web browser that has little text? Can you take a screen capture and put it online?

trish
11-25-07, 11:01 AM
Next thing you are going to tell us is that your Mosaic browser is an option :gomer:

OK,,OK,,Anyhow... I got some black Friday jokes going because I`m procrastinating on my PC upgrade........ thanks to my new 22 inch Samsung LCD monitor..for $199 :thumbup:

I'm not using the old computer, I just still have it.

Cam
11-25-07, 06:25 PM

It's an old one, a Dell laptop, 8100 series. I can almost bench press it.

Oh wait!!!! I had an 8000.... you should try lugging it around the world with 2 batteries in it.

Are you saying that the video is only taking up 1/2 the screen? If that is the case you go into the BIOS to fix it.

Dirk Diggler
11-25-07, 11:08 PM
Thanks, guys -

Well, it's weird... For example, if I go to youtube, the text and the page requires squinting, but if I play a video it's at normal size. Likewise if I use Meida Player - the size is fine when it plays the video.

As for my desktop layout, everything is more or less half sized, including the photo that I use as my wallpaper.

If I go to Yahoo, everything is tiny, but just for good measure the page seems to be in a profile layout, rather than landscaped to fit the screen, so there are big empty spaces on either side.

As for other sites, like this one, it's in a landscape format, but still tiny.

Itunes is also tiny.

If I go through the start menu, everything is tiny...

So it's not just an Explorer thing - I don't think, anyway...

Indy
11-25-07, 11:16 PM
Thanks, guys -

Well, it's weird... For example, if I go to youtube, the text and the page requires squinting, but if I play a video it's at normal size. Likewise if I use Meida Player - the size is fine when it plays the video.

As for my desktop layout, everything is more or less half sized, including the photo that I use as my wallpaper.

If I go to Yahoo, everything is tiny, but just for good measure the page seems to be in a profile layout, rather than landscaped to fit the screen, so there are big empty spaces on either side.

Itunes is also tiny.

I think you need to back away from the shrooms.

trish
11-25-07, 11:27 PM
Thanks, guys -

Itunes is also tiny.

So it's not just an Explorer thing - I don't think, anyway...I'd update my browser if I were you. Also do your windows updates.

Insomniac
11-26-07, 02:23 PM
Thanks, guys -

Itunes is also tiny.

Are you sure your desktop resolution is the same? At a minimum, if the resolution is the same your wallpaper setting went from "Stretch" to "Center".

Take a look at your Display Properties, Settings tab, Advanced, General tab, DPI setting. Try increasing that.