PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Suffragettes rock.

emjaya
11-19-07, 10:13 PM
SWEDISH women have launched a campaign to fight for the right to go topless on beaches and in swimming pools, saying they have just as much right to go without clothes as men.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22790028-23109,00.html

"We want our breasts to be as normal and desexualised as men's, so that we too can pull off our shirts at football matches," said a spokeswoman for the group.

:D

Sean Malone
11-19-07, 10:36 PM
I agree. Wholeheartedly.

oddlycalm
11-19-07, 11:14 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22790028-23109,00.html

:D We have a couple counties that have done this, but not the entire state. Lane County passed their law back in the 1970's and I noticed more women topless after it first passed. Most welcome. In recent years about the only time Ive seen it was at the Oregon Country Fair, which is a fairly secure environment.

My take is that once women got a taste of it they realized that just changing the law doesn't "normalize" anything. The average woman simply isn't confortable with men leering at her. If the law for the entire country changed, as is proposed in Sweden, maybe in a generation or two they might reach "normalized."

oc

SteveH
11-19-07, 11:27 PM
"We want our breasts to be as normal and desexualised as men's, so that we too can pull off our shirts at football matches," said a spokeswoman for the group.

Tit for tat, only seems fair to me. :D

Sean O'Gorman
11-19-07, 11:52 PM
This may be the only time I agree with a woman talking about "desexualizing breasts". :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
11-20-07, 11:39 AM
This is along the same feminist vein in some quarters calling for men to be required to sit while urinating because standing is an act of sexist domination. The thinking is the reason men stand is to show they can while women can't. :rolleyes:

As an aside...

While on honeymoon I was on a topless beach on St. Martin with my bride. I went up to this hut to grab a few beer and in line with me was a beautiful topless young lady (2nd best looking woman on the beach ;) ), and this midwestern dad with his two teenage sons.

The dad nudges his son and says, "She's Frrrrench". Gomer

opinionated ow
11-20-07, 12:01 PM
as far as i am aware it is perfectly legal to go topless on Australian beaches.