PDA

View Full Version : daMatta To Grand Am?

NismoZ
11-19-07, 01:08 PM
Sounds like it. An Orlando Sentinal article notes doctors told him not to drive competitively again until the '08 season but Cris notes that season is beginning NOW (here) at Daytona!:) He acknowledges that "this is where the growth is" and things don't look good in open wheel. Duuuuh. Doesn't say he is actually looking for a ride but...what do you think? He's THERE isn't he?

SteveH
11-19-07, 01:20 PM
As I posted elsewhere, I'm happy that he can, I'd rather that he didn't.

If he is willing to take the risk, then it should be in a closed cockpit series with speed less than CC. GrandAm fits both counts. However, even a significant hit in any car could result in brain damage. If that would effect him any more than another driver is beyond me. I suspect it could.

Wabbit
11-19-07, 03:25 PM
Might be a reason to start watching Grand-Am.

G.
11-19-07, 04:18 PM
Might be a reason to start watching Grand-Am.
I am NOT trying to start a GA/Other debate here, but looking over the driver's list from last year; If those names didn't make you watch GA before, why would DaMatta make you watch NOW?

There's some great names driving those POS crapotypes, IMO.

(which doesn't make me like the GA, but I will confess to watching it, if it's on.)

OT, I just hope that shorty stays safe, and shows that he can race to win.

Sean Malone
11-19-07, 04:50 PM
I'm sure that it is strange for drivers who are used to getting paid to drive faced with having to bring sponsors. I imagine that CDM's advisers are urging him to carefully consider what type of car to get back into and to jump straight back into a premier formula car seems reckless.
Also, keep in mind that if this was an interview translated from Portuguese, meanings tend to come out differently. Didn't read the article though. No linky.

jonovision_man
11-19-07, 06:48 PM
I am NOT trying to start a GA/Other debate here, but looking over the driver's list from last year; If those names didn't make you watch GA before, why would DaMatta make you watch NOW?

There's some great names driving those POS crapotypes, IMO.

(which doesn't make me like the GA, but I will confess to watching it, if it's on.)

I agree with you... especially the Rolex 24, the field is the best you'll see in America.

Which is a bit of a shame when you think of it...

jono

cameraman
11-19-07, 07:01 PM
The big names that drive GA do so because they enjoy it. They know exactly what it is and what could be vastly better but it is still a great way to spend the weekend. If daMatta wants to have fun then who is to say he shouldn't?

jonovision_man
11-19-07, 07:03 PM
^^^ message board posters, that's who! ;)

He can do what he wants, it's his life, and should be fun to watch.

jono

oddlycalm
11-19-07, 10:31 PM
bit of a shame when you think of it...

jono Bit of a shame? That takes understatement to new heights. It's a frickin heartbreaker. To see all those great drivers plodding around in those chicken**** cars on an infield course in front of empty stands is more than I can stomach.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
11-19-07, 10:44 PM
I've determined how that about 63% of my enjoyment of Grand-Am these days is derived from laughing at you guys bitching about it.

Sean Malone
11-19-07, 11:01 PM
I've determined how that about 63% of my enjoyment of Grand-Am these days is derived from laughing at you guys bitching about it.

That's funny and actually made me laugh out loud.

Honest, I've never seen a GA race. Am I missing anything? (looking for honest answer).

Sean O'Gorman
11-19-07, 11:13 PM
If you want my honest answer, it was good in 2004-2005, but has been declining as of late. I stopped watching mid-summer, and the DP race at Mid-Ohio was boring. 18 prototypes on track just doesn't cut it, its more entertaining seeing 40 cars on track and two different races.

jonovision_man
11-19-07, 11:14 PM
Honest, I've never seen a GA race. Am I missing anything? (looking for honest answer).

I think so. Especially the 24, to see all those fantastic drivers from every racing series in America plus the best sportscar guys all in one race, it's cool. And everyone there seems to have a lot of fun, they're always smiling, it's refreshing.

OTOH oddlycalm isn't wrong - the cars absolutely suck, there's nothing interesting in the machines. And the lack of fans is depressing. But whatever they're doing, they have full grids and a good field, it's working.

jono

Spicoli
11-19-07, 11:47 PM

a nap.

Wabbit
11-19-07, 11:57 PM

Because I like DeMatta.

FCYTravis
11-20-07, 03:03 AM
Thankfully, they're getting rid of most of the split races next year.

opinionated ow
11-20-07, 03:52 AM

its sort of like watching a v8 supercrab race. slow, dull but with some pretty good drivers in it.

Bit of a shame? That takes understatement to new heights. It's a frickin heartbreaker. To see all those great drivers plodding around in those chicken**** cars on an infield course in front of empty stands is more than I can stomach.

oc

yup. 100% accurate

cameraman
11-20-07, 04:22 AM
Honest, I've never seen a GA race. Am I missing anything? (looking for honest answer). I go see the ALMS and Grand Am races at Miller Motorsports Park. The GA races has a whole lot more cars on the track and there is no line at the bathrooms. I'd guess there were 12,000 spectators at the ALMS race and 6000 at the GA race. Both series have a hell of a lot more friends & family in the paddock than fans in the stands.

Are the races watchable? That depends on you. I enjoy watching the Speed World Challenge GT and Touring Car races, the Star Mazdas, the IMSA GT3 and whatever else they run on the same weekend as the ALMS race. Clearly the people bitching about Grand Am could never stoop so low at to watch a bunch of MX-5s racing. That is their loss. The Grand Am race isn't as fast as the ALMS one but it is a damn sight faster than the SCCA races. They bring a large field with all manner of guest drivers and they put on a very good 1000 mile show.

It ain't Can-Am but Can-Am is dead and gone and I refuse to spend the rest of my life pouting in the basement and ranting into a computer about it.

Sean Malone
11-20-07, 10:32 AM
thanks for the answer guys. Now that I'm in FL I've got a few choices for 'easy drive' racing; NASCAR at Daytona..nope...NASCAR at Homestead...nope...IRL in St Pete...nope...ALMS at Sebring...yep...GA at Daytona...a consideration.

extramundane
11-20-07, 10:52 AM
GA at Daytona...a consideration.

Even I would consider it if it was a fairly short drive. Despite the hideousness of the equipment, the 24 continues to attract a tremendous driver lineup (and Matt Alhadeff).

If nothing else, you should go just to see Mrs. Auberlen.

Indy
11-20-07, 12:21 PM
I have listened to a CC driver talk about how fun it is - like a big gokart. It still looks to me that without the NASCAR connection there would be no significant demand for it. As a fan of racing, I have no interest for a dumbed down series while a real one exists.

Sean O'Gorman
11-20-07, 01:58 PM
Who are you to judge if it is dumbed down?

Andrew Longman
11-20-07, 02:01 PM
I have watched GA on Cup weekends at The Glen. The last few years they ran DP only, which really diminishes the show. Good driver line up but usually not very competitive in terms of cars and teams. Hard to get excited.

They usually run after Cup qualifying on Friday during dinner time. The place almost completly clears out after qualifying.

But the kids and I always stay because we're nuts

oddlycalm
11-20-07, 03:18 PM
Who are you to judge if it is dumbed down? When a DP shares the same chassis construction technology with a 1966 vintage Group 7 car, which also had more power, anyone can make that judgment.

In what way does electing to go with 40yr old technology and anemic power output not fit the definition of dumbed down?

oc

Sean O'Gorman
11-20-07, 07:22 PM
In what way does electing to go with 40yr old technology and anemic power output not fit the definition of dumbed down?

Because driving a DP and being competitive in Grand-Am is undoubtedly a very difficult thing to do, well beyond the scope of what any of us armchair racers are capable of?

Sean Malone
11-20-07, 08:48 PM
Because driving a DP and being competitive in Grand-Am is undoubtedly a very difficult thing to do, well beyond the scope of what any of us armchair racers are capable of?

Not to pile on, but wouldn't that be the case for any 'professional' race series? I mean, I have a high opinion of myself, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't just jump into a Craftsman Truck and make the field...on my first try. :D

Sean O'Gorman
11-20-07, 09:14 PM
Not to pile on, but wouldn't that be the case for any 'professional' race series? I mean, I have a high opinion of myself, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't just jump into a Craftsman Truck and make the field...on my first try. :D

Haven't I been making that point for years?

Racing is hard.

extramundane
11-20-07, 09:36 PM

I'm just glad to see you're no longer lumping yourself in with pro drivers, just because you've made some runs in the Greater Cleveburg KoneKrunchKross.

Indy
11-21-07, 02:01 AM
Guess I forgot the "IMO." :laugh:

oddlycalm
11-21-07, 05:58 PM
Racing is hard. Any high level professional sport is hard by definition. So what? Unlike stick and ball sports the machinery is part of the equation in racing like it or not. If the machinery is lame all the great drivers in the world won't magically make the racing good.

If that weren't the case why not put great drivers in stone stock sedans and send them out on street tires? There is little doubt the racing would be close, but would you want to watch it?

oc

Sean Malone
11-21-07, 06:00 PM
Any high level professional sport is hard by definition. So what? Unlike stick and ball sports the machinery is part of the equation in racing like it or not. If the machinery is lame all the great drivers in the world won't magically make the racing good.

If that weren't the case why not put great drivers in stone stock sedans and send them out on street tires? There is little doubt the racing would be close, but would you want to watch it?

oc

Careful, you're opening up a NASCAR argument where "popularity" is a key debate point. Blah.

Gnam
11-21-07, 07:06 PM
I wonder if DaMatta chose GrandAm because driver's heads are subjected to relatively low G levels, compared to his other options.

1. A closed cockpit cuts down on helmet buffeting.
2. A higher seating position puts less stress on the neck.
3. A taller seat allows for better padding around the helmet.
4. Slower corner speeds apply less G's to the head/neck.
5. Crash protection just as good as NASCAR, but fewer races minimizes chances of wreck.
6. Milka no race.

I wish Shorty a long career driving whatever he can, but I hope he puts his health first.

Spicoli
11-21-07, 10:41 PM
Any high level professional sport is hard by definition. So what? Unlike stick and ball sports the machinery is part of the equation in racing like it or not. If the machinery is lame all the great drivers in the world won't magically make the racing good.

oc:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

oddlycalm
11-22-07, 03:45 PM
I wonder if DaMatta chose GrandAm because driver's heads are subjected to relatively low G levels, compared to his other options.
- snip -
I wish Shorty a long career driving whatever he can, but I hope he puts his health first. Could be for any of this reasons but it could also be that it was the only place he could get a steady pay check. I agree on putting his health first.

oc