PDA

View Full Version : New Indy infield layout

cheesewhiz
11-16-07, 02:42 PM
Nice new layout and anti-clockwise rotation for the MotoGP event next September.

I may just have to check it out. :D

http://www.redbullindianapolisgp.com/construction/flash/

Looks like Tony has resolved ti the fact that the F1 circus will not be back as it looks like a section of the old F1 track is being torn out. Actually, I think the new layout looks good.

Gnam
11-16-07, 04:18 PM
I see FTG is adding a ski jump to enhance the show. He knows it's MotoGP not Motocross, right? :p

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/330/imsmotogpconstmc9.png

oddlycalm
11-16-07, 04:51 PM
I see FTG is adding a ski jump to enhance the show. He knows it's MotoGP not Motocross, right? :p
:thumbup: Nice crack. :laugh:

I gotta agree though, this is mostly a better layout. The turn 4 hairpin seems a bit questionable, and would be rubbish if F1 ever returned, but getting rid of mickey and mouse is a big improvement.

oc

cameraman
11-16-07, 06:06 PM

Are they actually building berms for GA folk?

jonovision_man
11-16-07, 07:25 PM
T1 doesn't look nearly as conducive to passing as the old T1.

jono

dando
11-17-07, 12:42 AM
Boy, I hope nobody takes a wrong turn coming off pit road during the Fihunnert. :tony:

-Kevin

Walter Zoomie
11-17-07, 08:25 AM
:D
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7848/copyofpb160001cx8.jpg

Cam
11-17-07, 08:32 AM
:D
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7848/copyofpb160001cx8.jpg

Words fail me. *sigh*

cameraman
11-17-07, 04:38 PM
Words fail me. *sigh*
That looks like temporary fill storage.

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/fill.jpg

nrc
11-17-07, 04:58 PM
So is this being used to facilitate the removal of more spectator areas to keep things looking full?

pchall
11-17-07, 05:41 PM
What's up with trying to add an elevation change on a natural terrain road course that used to be cornfield and pasture land? :tony:

Except for the real fiddly bit bringing the bikes off of the South chute it actually looks like a decent track. It might be able compete with IRP for the Indianapolis Region of the SCCA regional events.

The really stupid thing is that the integrity of the golf course has always been more important than building a decent road course at IMS.

Andrew Longman
11-17-07, 07:29 PM
The really stupid thing is that the integrity of the golf course has always been more important than building a decent road course at IMS.

What gets used more?

Hold off on the elevation change critique. Those mounds look a lot like the topsoil brought in on many contruction projects to move around the site as needed.

pchall
11-17-07, 08:39 PM
Hold off on the elevation change critique.

Oh, man... do I need to put a ;) after everything?

eiregosod
11-18-07, 10:32 PM
if FTg just stuck to looking after his own racetrack instead of fixin things that he had no business of fixin'.

DagoFast
11-19-07, 01:40 PM
I say go Tony!

Put in a water park!

Add a movie theater, maybe a couple of StarBucks. :thumbup:

manic mechanic
11-20-07, 02:34 AM
I'm with ya, DagoFast:

Best move for IMS: SHARP elevation changes for a track through the golf course... Can you say SUPERMOTO?!! :D

manic

Duroc
11-27-07, 07:30 PM
Combine a European series and USD deflation. Put me down for "doomed before they even turned the first shovel". Anyway are they that cash strapped that they can't spruce up the museum and the motel? They look a bit ragged.

SurfaceUnits
07-03-08, 05:24 PM
Ben Spies isn't empressed, he hopes they get it fixed before the race

cameraman
07-03-08, 06:29 PM
You're really grasping at straws there:rolleyes:

As a facility, it's an awesome facility. It's huge. I didn't know it was this big. To be honest, on the first time out, I really wasn't too happy about how the track was (with grip) and some spots, but it is getting better every time out. It's just a lack of grip in a certain section of the track just because there haven't been any bikes on it, but it is getting better. There's a couple of little changes once we come back here, but it's really just going to be reference points. It's just hard when we only have six bikes out there trying to lay down rubber, but it is getting better and better. Now I'm actually comfortable and having fun out there. Once we get more bikes on the track when we're back here, obviously the 250s and the 125 will be out on the track, so the grip will be back to normal in September.

FIM officials, riders happy with track: Officials from the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme visited IMS during the two-day MotoGP test this week, and they were pleased with the layout and safety features of the new road course.

The 16-turn circuit was set up to testing specifications, but fine-tuning of various features will make the track race-ready for the inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP on Sept. 12-14.

"The preparation of the track was very, very good," FIM Safety Director Claude Danis said. "Everything was according to what we decided on my last inspection. Of course, there are some small adjustments to be done."

Among those adjustments are the addition of artificial grass adjacent to Turns 1 and 16, installation of curbing, final sod work adjacent to the track, addition of road course striping and removal of some oval striping.

SurfaceUnits
07-03-08, 08:18 PM
there are tens of millions of twenty-something Americans who know nothing about the brickyard, thanks to the owner and management

EVL29
07-03-08, 11:47 PM
moNtegi in the heartland.:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
07-04-08, 12:08 AM
there are tens of millions of twenty-something Americans who know nothing about the brickyard, thanks to the owner and management
One of the best posts ever on the subject. Because of the dumb feathermuckers temper tantrum, a generation has been lost.:mad: