PDA

View Full Version : The Merger is underway!!!!

G.
11-13-07, 03:34 PM
Sirius and XM, that is.

linky (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_hi_te/sirius_xm;_ylt=AmP5KFWDoxloywHK7IIYaSSs0NUE)

NEW YORK - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s shareholders signed off Tuesday on the company's bid to acquire rival broadcaster XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. for $5 billion. The deal still faces close regulatory scrutiny in Washington.

XM's shareholders were also expected to vote on the deal later Tuesday, but the outcome wasn't seen as being in doubt given the obvious cost savings the combination would afford. Shareholder advisory firms have endorsed the deal.

Will existing radios capture both signals?

Wabbit
11-13-07, 03:36 PM
Sirius and XM, that is.

linky (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_hi_te/sirius_xm;_ylt=AmP5KFWDoxloywHK7IIYaSSs0NUE)

Will existing radios capture both signals?

Nope. The plan I heard was that they were going to simulcast certain channels on both systems, and eventually one will be phased out from new production or a system will be build to receive both transmissions.

Andrew Longman
11-13-07, 03:44 PM
I still don't see this getting past regulators, especially if the Dems take office before this gets through. The only way I can figure it is if they can make the argument that their real competion is terrestial radio, ipods, itunes, etc.

KLang
11-13-07, 03:49 PM
If this goes through they had better re-visit the Satellite TV merger again.

As long as MY favorite radio stations are still available I guess it's OK. :p

oddlycalm
11-13-07, 03:54 PM
The only way I can figure it is if they can make the argument that their real competion is terrestial radio, ipods, itunes, etc. As it happens, that is exactly their arguement, so good guess.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
11-13-07, 04:02 PM
As long as O&A stay on the air, I think the merger is a good thing. I'd much rather listen to satellite radio over FM or MP3s.

KLang
11-13-07, 04:06 PM
As it happens, that is exactly their arguement, so good guess.

oc

I suppose times change but the arguement for the TV merger was that cable was the real competition. Didn't fly back then.

Dirk Diggler
11-13-07, 05:33 PM
"The deal still faces close regulatory scrutiny in Washington"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

extramundane
11-13-07, 05:49 PM
I suppose times change but the arguement for the TV merger was that cable was the real competition. Didn't fly back then.

Bad comparison, IMO. Satellite TV (for the most part) carries existing channels, themselves independent entities, which are also available via antenna and/or cable TV (or FiOS or...). Satellite Radio (for the most part) creates and owns the channels they broadcast, most of which would be unavailable otherwise. Now, whether you think that's a better argument for or against the merger, YMMV.

But the fact that Clear Channel and Infinity can buy up half the radio stations on the planet without this much attention is interesting to me. Funny, too, that a merger between 2 money-hemorrhaging satellite radio companies is getting so much more attention than any oil company merger or NewsCorp buying the WSJ, or damn near anything else in Congress these days. </tinfoilhat>

extramundane
11-13-07, 05:54 PM
As long as O&A stay on the air, I think the merger is a good thing. I'd much rather listen to satellite radio over FM or MP3s.

I think one condition of the merger is that O&A are replaced by a channel of 24/7 dogs farting. Based on their terrestrial ratings, I doubt anyone will notice the switchover.

Wabbit
11-13-07, 06:40 PM
"The deal still faces close regulatory scrutiny in Washington"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In English:

The representatives of both parties are currently providing great big campaign "donations" to all parties involved to help the deal get through regulatory scrutiny.

Methanolandbrats
11-13-07, 07:20 PM
I think one condition of the merger is that O&A are replaced by a channel of 24/7 dogs farting. Based on their terrestrial ratings, I doubt anyone will notice the switchover. Odd, mentioning the sound of dogs farting reminded me of Grand Am Prototype Racing.

Classic Apex
11-13-07, 07:26 PM
As long as O&A stay on the air, I think the merger is a good thing.

Word.