PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercrap gets lamer

opinionated ow
11-11-07, 10:32 AM
An exciting new format for the V8 Supercar races at the 2008 FORMULA 1™ ING Australian Grand Prix will create the ultimate showdown between Holden and Ford – The V8 Supercars Manufacturers’ Challenge.

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation and V8 Supercars Australia will introduce the new “Blue versus Red” format for next year.

Under the plan, the V8 Supercars will practice and qualify at Albert Park on Thursday 13 March and then race on Friday 14 March, Saturday 15 March and Sunday 16 March.

Qualifying will determine pole position as usual, but once a Ford or Holden has been placed at the head of the grid, all cars of that make will line up behind them on the same side, in order of fastest to slowest for that make. The other manufacturer will then line up beside them. One line of Blue versus one line of Red.

Total points will be combined for all Holden and Ford V8 Supercars to determine which manufacturer is leading after each race. Points from the first race will be carried over into the second and third races so that, although the lead may change hands, the winning manufacturer may not be known until the final cars cross the finishing line on Sunday afternoon.

Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief executive Drew Ward said the format created the ultimate showdown between Holden and Ford.

“It’s the question that’s been around for as long as Ford and Holden: which make is better?” Mr Ward said. “We’ll find out in March at Albert Park.”

V8 Supercars Australia chairman Tony Cochrane said: “This Blue versus Red Challenge gives us the chance to showcase Australian racing, manufacturing and engineering excellence.”

Ford’s Ray Price said: "This is a great concept and we believe Ford will easily take out the win. Our teams thrive on competition. This one off event will promote even more competitive enthusiasm and rivalry - especially when you take Championship points out of the equation."

Simon McNamara from Holden counters: “Holden is the current Champion and we’re running a new generation car. It’s obvious who the best manufacturer is. We’re really going to get behind this event.”

More details will be announced as the race gets closer.

The 2008 FORMULA 1™ ING Australian Grand Prix ● Albert Park ● 13 – 16 March.

For bookings or more information, visit www.grandprix.com.au or call Ticketek on 131 931

what a joke.....

jonovision_man
11-11-07, 11:18 AM
Finally an answer to the question: Is it possible to come up with a more ridiculous qualifying system than NASCAR?

Answer: YES. :eek:

jono

Andrew Longman
11-11-07, 12:12 PM
Reminds me of monster truck racing.

"LET ME HEAR HOW MANY FORD TRUCK FANS ARE OUT THERE!!!"

Sadly I guess it sells trucks

Fio1
11-11-07, 12:41 PM
ya, that's pretty lame. perfect time for toyota to enter that series! :rofl:

cameraman
11-11-07, 01:30 PM
ya, that's pretty lame. perfect time for toyota to enter that series! :rofl:

Three wide on the grid!

Accipiter
11-13-07, 12:13 PM
Finally an answer to the question: Is it possible to come up with a more ridiculous qualifying system than NASCAR?

Answer: YES. :eek:

jono

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Dirk Diggler
11-13-07, 02:23 PM
Freaking Saturday Night at the Speedway.:irked:

May as well spread dirt all over the track and add a Jalopy class.:thumdown:

extramundane
11-13-07, 03:20 PM

But that would be making it better! :gomer:

opinionated ow
11-14-07, 04:41 AM

NOT even some lame short track classes have stuff that bad!

NismoZ
11-14-07, 08:13 PM
So, will all of the cars actually be blue or red?:confused:

emjaya
11-14-07, 09:40 PM
So, will all of the cars actually be blue or red?:confused:

Don't give them any ideas. :gomer:

oddlycalm
11-15-07, 09:24 PM
what a joke..... We all shoulda pooled our money and hired some weasels to get compromising photos on all the race promoters, track owners and series management people....:shakehead

oc

G.
11-16-07, 02:00 AM
I'm cornfused.

Why do we care? In the States, I mean.

I LOVED watching the Ozzie races when they showed them on the "telly", and I wish they would continue to do so. A lot.

Arfin' SPEED.:shakehead

Indy
11-16-07, 02:12 AM
Maybe NASCRAP purchased them in secret.

Cam
11-16-07, 06:07 PM
I'm cornfused.

Why do we care? In the States, I mean.

I LOVED watching the Ozzie races when they showed them on the "telly", and I wish they would continue to do so. A lot.

Arfin' SPEED.:shakehead

Speed showed 1 hour highlight shows of each round last season in Dec/Jan. Problem was it was on at like 1PM on Wednesdays or some such when everyone is at work. :shakehead

And as for oow biatching about the format, it is for ONE single race. Get over it! The racing is still a hell of a lot better than any cab race ever!