PDA

View Full Version : Green Eggs and Sham -- full time in 2008

pchall
11-08-07, 01:42 PM
Indy champ Hornish bolts for NASCAR
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7422878?MSNHPHMA

"Indy champ Hornish bolts for NASCAR

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Sam Hornish Jr. is leaving the IndyCar Series for a full-time ride in NASCAR, joining the mass exodus of open-wheel stars fleeing to America's most popular racing series.

The three-time IndyCar champion told The Associated Press he will drive the No. 77 Dodge next season for Penske Racing with Mobil 1 as the sponsor.

"I feel like this is something that is a new and unique challenge for me," Hornish said Thursday. "It may or may not be the right way to look at it, but I feel like I accomplished just about everything in Indy cars. I got to do more than I ever thought I would."

chop456
11-08-07, 02:18 PM
Remember when "Three-time Indycar champion" used to mean something?

indyfan31
11-08-07, 04:14 PM

True, but honestly, who else in that "field" of drivers has this guy's skills on an oval.

pchall
11-08-07, 04:42 PM
True, but honestly, who else in that "field" of drivers has this guy's skills on an oval.

Does Hornish even really have "mad skills" on an oval?

When the influx of Honda and To¥ota money brought some real talent into the IRL, Hornish was suddenly a non factor in a lot of oval races -- not to mention embarrassingly bad on streets and roads. Even getting a Penske seat hasn't kept him on top in that series. Remember that a lot of folks were convinced that Hornish got spinners when he was with Panther.

In the end, since Team Penske bascially sucks in NASCAR, Sham is in for a long, unnewsworthy dénoument for his career by going cabbing.

Methanolandbrats
11-08-07, 05:25 PM
Hornish sucks. WGAF.

KLang
11-08-07, 05:40 PM
Have they posted a suicide watch over at gomerville? :laugh:

Fio1
11-08-07, 06:40 PM
How many DNQ's does he have so far in Nascarr? I'm guessing by this time next year (if Penske doesn't transfer owner points from Bush to Hornish) that Sam will get as many DNQ's total as he has Indycar wins. :eek:

High Sided
11-08-07, 07:37 PM
How many DNQ's does he have so far in Nascarr? I'm guessing by this time next year (if Penske doesn't transfer owner points from Bush to Hornish) that Sam will get as many DNQ's total as he has Indycar wins. :eek:

he'll start 43rd for the 1st ten races:gomer:

make that 35th, one place ahead of a.j.

Dirk Diggler
11-08-07, 07:52 PM

I remember when "America's favorite racing series" and "NASCAR" were not used in the same sentence.:yuck:

mueber
11-10-07, 04:58 PM
Franchitti is a nobody who married “well” sort of, and he's always been available to the highest bidder, but Hornish is one of the few open wheel drivers who has any recognition outside of the 300 people who waste their lives posting hate-speech on CCF and Trackforum, and he's previously claimed that the IRL is where he wants to be.

Another fine job of open wheel stewardship Roger. This is really sad for open wheel, I think.

opinionated ow
11-10-07, 05:11 PM
apparently he is going to be running his team mate's number to guarantee provisionals....i thinks its ryan newman who will have to qualify on speed.

Spicoli
11-10-07, 05:23 PM
Have they posted a suicide watch over at gomerville? :laugh:

Several there are in deep emtional inner struggle.

see smack for details and customary ridicule. :llama:

:rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
11-10-07, 06:26 PM
apparently he is going to be running his team mate's number to guarantee provisionals....i thinks its ryan newman who will have to qualify on speed.

Not a bad idea. I doubt that Newman is going to have to worry about qualifying on speed at very many races (though Daytona could be an issue).

Andrew Longman
11-11-07, 12:29 AM

News report I saw had him in a #77 car. No points to speak of for that unless Penske tranfers them from the 12 or 2. I'm not sure how that works though.

matthole
11-11-07, 01:07 AM
News report I saw had him in a #77 car. No points to speak of for that unless Penske tranfers them from the 12 or 2. I'm not sure how that works though.

Sham-o is getting past champion Kurt Busch's (Tha 2 car, Ned) 'points', so he will get in the first 5 'races' those sleds do in 2008.

The theory being that if Kurt quals bad, he can bump the likes of Dale Jarrett and use a 'past champions provisional' and both will get in the 'race', such as it is.

The 'theory' goes to utter crap at 'race' 6 when Sham-ball has destroyed more sleds and safer barriers in the 50 or so laps he manages to complete under speed, and he's 48th in points after those events.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving group. I hope Mobil1 and their associated co's cease operations, and the company execs go to prison for this and many other crimes. ;)

Tell you whut. :irked: :gomer:

jonovision_man
11-11-07, 08:09 AM
NASCAR qualifying is ****.

jono

Spicoli
11-11-07, 10:20 AM
its all about the show. wilke is sure they are going out of business btw.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-07, 07:57 PM
Hornish. Ha!

JohnHKart
11-23-07, 07:47 PM
NASCAR qualifying is ****.

jono

Well it's actually pretty good for the drama aspect, but I know why you are saying that. It's ESPN's pitiful Qualifying coverage that is the worst in TV history. We get tons of stats filling up the screen and the car on the track reduced to a 25 percent window on the left hand side. Pathetic.

John