PDA

View Full Version : An Appeal to CCWS

Indy
11-07-07, 10:29 AM
As someone who has been very critical of recent CCWS direction, I offer this suggestion in the spirit of helping make things better.

Loss of technological innovation and competition, traditional North American venues, and American style racing have taken their toll on my enthusiasm for Champ Car, to the point that I have felt that I am walking away with just an occasional glance back to keep an eye on where the series is going. The release of the 2008 schedule has caused me to do a double take, and it has piqued my interest to the point of viewing next season as another chance for the series to win back my loyalty. This causes me to think that perhaps there is a nugget of hope yet to be mined and exploited by CCWS ownership.

No, you can't go home again, and I don't expect to see CCWS back at my formerly beloved Speedway, or any oval for that matter, any time soon. Yet, not going home again does not preclude us, any of us in any situation, from taking the best of what was and making the best of it now. It is my contention that CCWS should do the same.

I believe that CCWS has been chasing a false fan base in North America. Those of us who made CART the most popular form of motorsport here for many years have not gone away, and, for the most part, we are not NASCAR fans. Those of us who wish to see real racing on real circuits, done by teams who compete for dominance in every way possible, from the tires up to the drivers themselves, are still eager to find what we have lost, and many of us spend increasing amounts our time and budgets on alternatives like F1 and ALMS. But, we are still here and we hunger for our own top level (in every sense) NA open wheel, rear engine racing series.

I hope that the owners of CCWS will take to heart this very promising thought: the increase in the number of traditional road course that I can attend has me excited again, and I am quite sure I am not the only one. If you can see through the false promise of the easy appeal to the casual fan through racing in their back yards and the NASCARization of the technical specs on the assumption that OW fans will tolerate it, then please consider that what will build this series for the long run will be to take the best of what was and incorporate it into a structure that makes sense for the future. Not in a shallow, surface way, mind you, but in ways that will build brand loyalty to people who care deeply about the substance of racing. The loyalty of this core is what sustained CART at its lesser venues and in its television viewership, and it can happen again.

I want to be a Champ Car fan, and there are many more like me who are disillusioned but potentially loyal and ready to vote with our patronage. I ask you to consider building this series on the foundation of real motorsport. The real fans, and thus success, will follow.

I will see you at Laguna.

Sean Malone
11-07-07, 10:33 AM
I hear if you email CC HQ and ask them to reconsider dropping *insert track name*, they will listen.

I'm asking them for Naz back. I know, I know, the track isn't even there, but there's a farm close by that they can rage at. :thumbup:

Spicoli
11-07-07, 11:42 AM
print that **** out and go over to HQ. Demand to be heard.

Or at least get free airfare to Cleveland. :tony:

Andrew Longman
11-07-07, 11:44 AM
Actually Naz is for sale (again). The plan to convert it to townhomes fell through with the collapse of the real estate market. Perhaps KK could buy it as he did with TO and LB.

Indy, I hear what you are saying. CC needs badly to define what they are. I still think they could be the "North American interpetation of formula racing, brought to the world's stage" as they were talking about a few years ago, but what is that interpretation?

Frankly, and it pains me to say so, but Indycar is more differentiated from F1 and A1GP and more varied than CC right now. What it doesn't do is even try to appeal to fans outside of a core base in the midwest. Forget world appeal.

What CC does uniquely have is more of a true World Series with geographically diverse venues and attracting international drivers. The cars are a challenge to drive and many of the venues historic and interesting. Street racing on a good track is very hard and enjoyable (for me) to watch.

I do think though that while the cars are basically spec, they need to play up how technologically advanced they are and I'd like to see them on at least one large oval so they can claim they are the fastest cars on the planet (as CART used to do).

But in the end I think they need to emphasize this is a drivers series and handling these beasts at competitive speeds is arguably the greatest challenge in motorsport. F1 can have all their technology and driver aids, NASCAR can go roundy round, but taking pole or winning in a champ car on a road course against similar hard to drive cars, is the greatest challenge in motorsport. Or it should be.

That also means there needs to be a greater degree of driver stability. If it is so hard, sure some drivers should always be falling out, but fans have to get to know and admire a core set of drivers at the top.

Sean Malone
11-07-07, 11:55 AM
Actually Naz is for sale (again). The plan to convert it to townhomes fell through with the collapse of the real estate market. Perhaps KK could buy it as he did with TO and LB.

I'm emailing KK now...let you know the outcome. :)

Frankly, and it pains me to say so, but Indycar is more differentiated from F1 and A1GP and more varied than CC right now. What it doesn't do is even try to appeal to fans outside of a core base in the midwest. Forget world appeal.

One thing that the IRL was a huge success in is the ability to turn talented, international drivers into Gomers. i.e. Heliobilly, Darioneck and Kanaancracker. :D

GLenz
11-07-07, 12:03 PM
print that **** out and go over to HQ. Demand to be heard.

Or at least get free airfare to Cleveland. :tony:

Absolutely. Get that into the office. Well written, rational thought. I'm sure they are not used to that, but get it in there anyway.

NismoZ
11-07-07, 02:05 PM
Yes, interesting sched. and one I like. ANY schedule I envisioned had a majority of natural road circuits over streets, airports or ovals...but it certainly included ovals. I'd still like to know if any tests other than on computer have been done with the DP01 to judge it's ovalworthiness? Moot point I suppose because if there ever IS a single top rung openwheel series there'll be a new mergerwagon anyway. Laguna, RA, Assen, Zolder, Jerez, Mt. Tremblant, Portland....who'd a thunk? I thought everything would have been one giant street festival by now! Glad it's not. Reserving my outhouse and picnic table soon.:thumbup:

nrc
11-07-07, 08:18 PM
I think it's unrealistic to think that there are a lot more North American venues that they could add right now.

As of right now it makes no sense to return to ovals. That's a huge expense for teams just for the sake of tradition. Yes, I'd like to see a return to some ovals eventually, but the real Champ car tradition is racing where it makes sense to race.

nissan gtp
11-07-07, 08:27 PM
^while I agree, I'd like to see CC demonstrate/prove that the DP01 is a viable oval car, by running a test/demonstration. Evidently, there is an "oval package". I for one would like to see it, and see it run.

ferrarigod
11-07-07, 08:50 PM
nice effort indy, but not enough commas,,,,,,,,,,

:gomer:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chief
11-08-07, 02:34 PM
Stability, any freaking form of it, is all that's needed. Waffling between all streets, all roads, etc. ad nauseum has killed the series and totally alienated it's fanbase, media, sponsors etc. etc.

Pick a g*d d*mn direction and give it ten tenths. BE something more than mediocre (which is exactly what IRL always IS and NASCAR has become).

last2brake
11-08-07, 02:55 PM
I myself am somewhat comfortable with a series that uses the same car, tires, and engines. It makes it easy to compare apples to apples. It bugs me when a driver/team that is superior is getting beaten because they couldn't swing a deal to get the new hot engine, tires, or chassis.

But I think I agree with Indy. I'm just not sure how to tell when the timing is right. But I'm pretty sure Champ Car needs to be stronger before it can diversify.

So I really don't know if I have anything of value to add. Sure, a 'spec' series isn't a healthy foundation to capture the world's attention.

But I also believe that the Chevy 'A' was instrumental to the beginning of the end of CART. At least, that's when I first became aware of the danger of alienating some teams. Or large, pontiferous bulldozer pilots who would like to be a successful race team owner but haven't yet grasped the ABCs of the business but have the ear of ftg to share business advice.

So somehow, Champ Car would need to find a way to control the innovations, or at least guarantee that everyone had access to anything anyone else can have. In this age of millions of hyper-critical internet experts, how are they going to do that and avoid multiple levels of meltdowns and criticisms ?

Champ Car would need to be in a position of strength to maintain control of the AGRs, Penskes, Gonadsties, and all the others who scream at every race that they question the series and may leave everytime they get beaten.

Nobody would ever threaten to leave nascar, because nascar could let them. Right now, Champ Car needs to return to a position of strength so that a mr haas ( or whoever ) couldn't start throwing his weight around if he didn't become the exclusive supplier of the next great innovation, let alone have the use of it.

It's a balancing act of rebuilding. And yet there are people who want to spend money on roofing tiles when we can't afford good concrete for a foundation. But like Indy says, I think the concrete in the foundation is good now ( with the schedule ) and it's just a matter of waiting for the concrete to cure.