Can Am 1966 - 1974

We'll never see racing like that again.

Methanolandbrats
11-07-07, 08:21 AM
Very nice :thumbup:

Spicoli
11-07-07, 08:33 AM
Wow. That looks awesome. :thumbup:

A little primer for those - like me - that never got to see these beasts live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can-Am

Methanolandbrats
11-07-07, 08:53 AM
I've got a lot of B&W photos of the early 70s at Road America. The negatives are buried in my "pre-history" collection. I'll have to dig them out some day. At Road America you could wander on the grid before the race and only a snowfence and a little guardrail stood between the spectators and that field coming through the woods :eek: Did'nt think anything of it then.

Elmo T
11-07-07, 08:55 AM
I never saw them live, but I had the full assortment of slot cars. ;)

From Spicoli's Wiki citation:

essentially a formule libre for sports cars; the regulations were minimal and permitted unlimited engine sizes (and allowed turbocharging and supercharging), virtually unrestricted aerodynamics, and were as close as any major international racing series ever got to anything goes. As long as the car had two seats and bodywork enclosing the wheels, and met basic safety standards, it was legal

:thumbup:

opinionated ow
11-07-07, 09:21 AM
they better bloody sell it out here...

chop456
11-07-07, 09:22 AM
The 917/30 is probably the most badass sports car ever built.

Andrew Longman
11-07-07, 10:47 AM
"coming in November 2007"

I want it. Now.

How do I get it? Not finding on Amazon, Speed, or Speedgear

Indy
11-07-07, 11:02 AM
I just found my burfday present. :gomer:

I know you can't go back, but Jeebus, if you could capture that essence somehow...

Dirk Diggler
11-07-07, 11:19 AM
Absolute madness. I wish they would hurry up and figure out time travel...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.vicelford.com/gallery/6large.jpg

DagoFast
11-07-07, 11:37 AM
8 litre V8's!

Movable wings and timing & scoring girls in bikinis!

Mercy!

Spicoli
11-07-07, 11:43 AM
8 litre V8's!

Mercy!

yeah. did you catch that hottie in the white bikini? :eek:

Dirk Diggler
11-07-07, 01:25 PM
yeah. did you catch that hottie in the white bikini? :eek:

Yeah, you don't get things like that at the track these days. Not without advertising on them, anyway.:D

oddlycalm
11-07-07, 04:58 PM
8 litre V8's!

Mercy! Actually, the big blocks got as large as 9 liters (550 cu in), but what's a liter between friends...:D

This series was a pinnacle for road racing in North America. The best drivers, the best cars, racing on the best tracks. From what I can see this DVD has footage that captures it all quite well. :thumbup:

oc

Andrew Longman
11-07-07, 06:07 PM
...but what's a liter between friends...:D
oc

Usually a long night and rough morning.;)

TrueBrit
11-07-07, 06:10 PM
That looks awesome!:thumbup:

JohnHKart
11-07-07, 07:15 PM
Wow!!! Can't wait!

In 1972 my school Maybrook school in Whittier, CA actually had a motorsports display with tons of race cars, including an orange Can Am Mclaren. I came home with a totally cool Denny Hulme poster which I wish I still had. These were the first race cars I ever saw up close (I was 5 years old) and it was awesome.

John

NismoZ
11-07-07, 07:15 PM
One of the advantages of being an "old" race fan!:D (and, basic safety standards!? Yup, VERY basic!) Incredible there wasn't more carnage. John Surtees, Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, MARIO (absolutely incredible in the little Ferrari Ford Indy V-8 in the rain at RA in '68) The earliest years were the best with more variety and even though McLaren dominated, then Porsche there was plenty to appreciate. 1.) Watching that big wing on Hall's Chaparral snap horizontal as he exited 3 at RA for the run down into the woods. 2.) The aforementioned Mario in the rain, threatening the Bruce and Denny show from 3rd when the Indy Ford gave up. (too much wheelspin!) 3.)The POW....POW ...POW shift sounds from the Penske Panzers as they ran through the gears to 190+ 4.) Spectators rushing the fences to hail Surtees and Gurney at the 1st race, never saw anything like it. First big US race with international stars. "I'm lapping 2 seconds faster here than I've EVER gone and I'm STILL 2 seconds off the pace!"-Chuck Parsons. ...ahhh, too many miore to talk about now, but it was really FUN!:)

cameraman
11-07-07, 08:07 PM
The 917/30 is probably the most badass sports car ever built.
Ironic then that it essentially killed the series that is was built to dominate.

That's what champ car needs, a 500 hp ptp button:eek:

stroker
11-07-07, 08:29 PM
Ironic then that it essentially killed the series that is was built to dominate.

That's what champ car needs, a 500 hp ptp button:eek:

Yeah, and the current Atlantics are faster at Road America.

Gives you an idea of where tires and aero have gone in 35+ years.

Dirk Diggler
11-07-07, 09:11 PM
Yeah, and the current Atlantics are faster at Road America.

What, you mean to say that computers are more effective than holding your palm at various angles out of the car window?:laugh:

That's what was great about Can Am. Whatever you were creative enough to build and whatever someone was crazy enough to drive...:cool:

G.
11-08-07, 01:35 AM
I gots tears an ****

POST WHEN?WHERE WE CAN GET THIS!!!!!

I totally missed this era. Cept for Speed Racer.

I'm such a n00b.:cry:

chop456
11-08-07, 07:42 AM

https://www.motorsportcollector.com/OrderFormCanAm.html

Buy local. :tony:

Andrew Longman
11-08-07, 09:41 AM

Buy local. :tony:

Thanks. Just emailed that link to the wifey. Birthday coming up. :D

stroker
11-08-07, 09:54 AM
I gots tears an ****

I totally missed this era. Cept for Speed Racer.

I'm such a n00b.:cry:

Go to the Brian Redman race at RA in the summer. It'll give you an idea of what it was like.

stroker
11-08-07, 09:55 AM
What, you mean to say that computers are more effective than holding your palm at various angles out of the car window?:laugh:

That's what was great about Can Am. Whatever you were creative enough to build and whatever someone was crazy enough to drive...:cool:

Yup. Four snowmobile engines, one at each wheel.

Is this a great country or what?

:D

NismoZ
11-08-07, 10:25 AM
Buy local?...DONE. Merry Christmas-me.:)

Dirk Diggler
11-08-07, 02:38 PM
To help keep you going until they release the DVD.

Here's one from the Summer of Love. All you need is love. And big bad ass mo-fo's storming around Road America.:D :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlcOnccfgg

NismoZ
11-08-07, 05:29 PM
You made me cry! I mention Hall's wing snapping down...and there it is!:thumbup: No doubt I was in the background of some of those shots! Understand what I mean now when I talk about those old unobstructed views for photography? Also that camera position on the OUTside of the Kink is very rare and a treat to see. No spectators out there until recently. Mark Donohue became my favorite that very day! So what if it wasn't 3-wide and side by side with a photo finish...it was the Can Am! Any tapes of the rain race in '68? That's the one that told me Mario would be World Champ someday. I just didn't think it'd take 10 years!:D

Dirk Diggler
11-08-07, 06:03 PM
Any tapes of the rain race in '68?

Well, I searched 1968 and Road America on youtube - I got Jack Kerouac!:laugh:

Anyway, there's some rain footage on that intital clip that started all of this - not sure if that was the right year.

Methanolandbrats
11-08-07, 06:10 PM
To help keep you going until they release the DVD.

Here's on from the Summer of Love. All you need is love. And big bad ass mo-fo's storming around Road America.:D :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlcOnccfgg That was great, there was the old bent guardrail along the run down through the woods. And that sound :eek: . And some people wonder why I don't wet my pants when I see a Grand Am Race :yuck:

Dirk Diggler
11-08-07, 06:46 PM

Speaking of aero, I give you The Cow Catcher
http://www.mlodeent.com/CANAM/01fcar71.jpg

http://www.mlodeent.com/CANAM/01ecar71.jpg

Indy
11-08-07, 11:02 PM
Where is that time machine when I need it?

Dirk Diggler
11-09-07, 02:07 AM
More from Watkins Glen.... The first half of the coverage is of the six hour race the day before the Can Am, but be patient because they use better camara angles for the Can Am coverage. When you're watching them go through the esses, spare a thought to how frighteningly fast they would be going through there with another 40 years worth of technology:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BzEz2xsQ8

Andrew Longman
11-09-07, 10:43 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that back in the day there were no grandstands across from the pits at WG. Only at T11 and T1 on that side. People knew then that watching a road race from the straightaway was pretty pointless.

Now WG has the huge stands from Naz on the frontstretch and they've taken way stands down towards T1.

stroker
11-09-07, 10:46 AM
You made me cry! I mention Hall's wing snapping down...and there it is!:thumbup: No doubt I was in the background of some of those shots! Understand what I mean now when I talk about those old unobstructed views for photography? Also that camera position on the OUTside of the Kink is very rare and a treat to see. No spectators out there until recently. Mark Donohue became my favorite that very day! So what if it wasn't 3-wide and side by side with a photo finish...it was the Can Am! Any tapes of the rain race in '68? That's the one that told me Mario would be World Champ someday. I just didn't think it'd take 10 years!:D

My dad used to tell stories about that race. Mario was racing, and you could HEAR him, but you couldn't SEE him. He was so close to the car in front the spray completely obscured his car! He talked about that my entire life....

Spicoli
11-09-07, 11:11 PM

Dirk Diggler
11-09-07, 11:16 PM

Thanks!!!:thumbup:

TedN
11-11-07, 10:41 AM
This documentary is also quite interesting for a behind-the-scenes look at the last 4 Can-Am races in the 1981 season. Not sure if it was ever converted to DVD.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/50/107750.jpg

Ted

Napoleon
11-24-07, 07:46 AM
Well Speedgear is saying it is expected 1/15/08.

eiregosod
11-24-07, 02:28 PM
someone;'s to blame for the demise.

Gnam
01-09-08, 09:02 PM
Can-Am The Speed Odyssey

http://www.canamfilm.com/

motosportcollector.com says he expects delivery on January 31. :)

stroker
05-05-08, 12:03 AM
Hey, has anyone received their copy of this DVD yet? I was billed in February I think but never got one.

chop456
05-05-08, 01:17 AM
I haven't looked anywhere online, but a friend just told me it's been delayed again.

Gnam
05-05-08, 08:31 PM
If you go to the canamfilm.com link above, the film begins with "Due May 2008" notice. And Speedgear (http://www.speedgear.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=9373&SID=0) has is listed as available June 1, 2008.

Apparently, they added more footage. WORTH THE WAIT! :gomer:

NismoZ
05-06-08, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering. If some of you pups don't get up to RA this summer for the "Historics" you'll be missing out on the best race car living museum I've ever seen!:)

Gnam
06-26-08, 08:55 PM
The Odyssey continues... now they say delivery by early July.
Also, it appears speedgear has stopped taking orders and removed the item.

Gnam
06-27-08, 05:49 PM
Speaking of DVDs for dead but not forgotten racing series... ;)

The second season of Champ Car's reality show Race Car Driver is now available for purchase.
http://amspictures.com/racecardriverseasontwo.aspx

10 episodes, each 22 minutes long, $24.95

KLang
06-27-08, 06:22 PM
Speaking of DVDs for dead but not forgotten racing series... ;)

The second season of Champ Car's reality show Race Car Driver is now available for purchase.
http://amspictures.com/racecardriverseasontwo.aspx

10 episodes, each 22 minutes long, $24.95

My memory might be failing... Was season two ever broadcast?

Gnam
06-28-08, 03:43 PM
Not in North America, maybe on the BBC.

Gnam
07-22-08, 03:35 PM
Both TMC and speedgear say the Speed Odyssey DVD will be ready by the end of the July. But they're just repeating what they're told. :\

www.motorsportcollector.com
speedgear ad (http://www.speedgear.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=9373&category=0&SMID=96&SID=6&SCID=153&CID=0)

NismoZ
07-22-08, 10:50 PM
Latest word I got (straight from Motor Sport Collector, Paul) at RA last weekend is both heartening and interesting, with something to break soon. First, he knows who has paid and who has not so don't worry. Also a letter will be sent to buyers around mid-August with an offer of several options. We may wait for the promised DVD, get a refund, or purchase the new Pete Lyons Can Am DVD (which may be better than what we've been waiting for) He is preparing a lawsuit against the producer of the oft-delayed DVD, has been lied to over and over and made to look foolish to his customers by passing on the often promised delivery dates. He is as angry as we are and is losing business because of this. I think I'll go with the new DVD when the offer comes and would suggest you do the same so no $$ go to the guy whose lies have caused all these problems.:mad:(though Jim Hall and Sam Posey might not like that. Heck, they should sue the guy too!) Be patient a little longer then order something else from MC soon. He's doing the best he can. ...and, PS, the cars at RA were fabulous!

TedN
07-30-08, 04:31 PM
Received this update in latest newsletter from local shop ...

CAN-AM DVD'S
Yes, DVD's, not DVD. There is a race out there between two separate production houses to get a much needed, quality film out on the history of the Can-Am. Well, predictably both appear to be arriving within the next week or so. We will review each of them upon their arrival, but let's clarify which is which and give you a summary of what to expect.

Can-Am "The Speed Odyssey: Narrated by Sam Posey and Jim Hall. 105 minutes. Highly anticipated film that was originally to be released last fall! Produced by Ardennes Productions, the same people as "50 Years of F1 On-Board" from 2005. Previously unseen footage covering the history of the Can-Am from 1966 - 1973.

Can-Am Thunder: Narrated by Pete Lyons and Dave Friedmann, the acknowledged #1 Can-Am expert and historians. 110 minutes. Produced by Duke Video. They recall the stories that led to their best-selling books with help from Shadow designer Pete Bryant and drivers Surtees, Follmer, Oliver, Elford and Haywood amongst others.

Ted

Napoleon
08-01-08, 05:36 AM
They still have not released this yet!

TedN
08-13-08, 05:47 PM
Update from shop in Toronto ....

CAN AM THUNDER DVD - NOW IN STOCK

The first of two DVD's on the history of the Can-Am has arrived.
"The mighty machines of the Can-Am Championship have to be leading candidates for the title of 'most awesome racing cars ever'.

Almost forty years ago they put out close to 1500 horsepower in their most-developed form, and hit speeds of 240mph with aerodynamics that were experimental at best and highly dangerous at worst! They made the Grand Prix F1 cars of the day look tame by comparison. Even today, the 'Can-Am thunder' still rumbles as huge crowds flock to historic race meetings wherever these incredible cars appear.

Porsche, McLaren, Lola and Shadow were the Championship-winning cars, with Chaparral, Bryant T22, March and Ferrari as the challengers. This Programme combines modern action footage, rare archival film and almost 100 superb pictures to focus on these mighty machines as they rumble and roar around tracks like Laguna Seca and the Nurburgring.

You'll hear from the three Can-Am champions still with us, John Surtees, George Follmer and Jackie Oliver, fellow legendary drivers Vic Elford and Hurley Haywood, designers Jim Hall and Peter Bryant, plus the world's acknowledged 'number one' Can-Am guru, author and photographer Pete Lyons.

Until now the definitive documentary on the cars of the Can-Am has never been made. This is it!"

148 minutes, $34

"Can-Am: The Speed Odessey", the other highly anticipated film on the Can-Am series, is expected in store early next week.

Ted

Gnam
08-15-08, 07:51 PM
"Can-Am: The Speed Odessey", the other highly anticipated film on the Can-Am series, is expected in store early next week.
Speedgear reports the DVDs are in their warehouse and should ship out to customers next week. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
08-16-08, 09:27 PM
Speedgear reports the DVDs are in their warehouse and should ship out to customers next week. :thumbup:

Nice, that was a longish wait.

oc

JohnHKart
08-17-08, 02:58 PM
I got mine at Monterey yesterday. I was not leaving the race without at least one book. Got the book (The Unfair Advantage) Would have probably put it off and bought later but the excellent salesman talked me into it by asking if "I was into Can-Am." I just drove home to LA 330 miles and tried to finish the IRL race before falling asleep (for the second time) I will try to watch some of the Can AM DVD later in the week and report back. Oh and watching the IRL after a day at the historics is like eating @ Mcdonalds after eating at fine restaurants on vacation in Europe.

John

NismoZ
08-18-08, 04:56 PM
Yep, just got the UPS ship notice today. As much interested in how the SOUND comes across as anything. I used to have to play a tape (Unsync.) with my Super 8s to get the whole deal! :D

JohnHKart
08-18-08, 07:51 PM
Just looked at about ten minutes of it. Starts out at the beginning of the series and shows a couple of races from each season. Narration is excellent...I've never seen any of this footage. There's a lot of cool explanations of the Chaparrall stuff courtesy of Jim Hall. It all looks good. Can't wait to see the rest. The sound is good and in sync. Lots of great color footage.

NismoZ
08-18-08, 11:32 PM

chop456
09-23-08, 04:35 AM
There's some really good shot-on-video footage of the Watkins Glen race from 1971. Nice bow-chicka-wow-wow music while giving a long look at the then-new 917-30, too. :laugh:

Lots of good footage from Road America, Riverside, Laguna, Mosport and Mid-O.

Gotta' love a 9.3L Chevy in a McLaren. :)

No "making of" or DVD extras. :thumdown:

JohnHKart
12-18-08, 07:09 PM
Im terrible when it comes to DVDs. I finally finished watching this, two days ago. It's really good and I enjoyed it. I was hoping to see some footage of Edmonton but theres nothing. The footage is limited to several race tracks- . 1973 seems to get the least amount of time and the aborted 74 season is non existant. It's still good and worth getting. I actually got "sold" into getting it while buying Donohue's book and I'm glad.

John

Gnam
01-04-09, 08:38 PM
Im terrible when it comes to DVDs. I finally finished watching this, two days ago. It's really good and I enjoyed it.

John
Ditto. :thumbup:

Some of the best racing I saw all year. Gives you an appreciation for what Can-Am was (crazy!) and what was lost (bastards!).

spikegomez
01-12-09, 03:23 AM
8 litre V8's! that is a great car... that males it too fast...
Thanks for the links.... the site needs a latest flash player eh...

Napoleon
01-24-09, 05:36 PM
I was thinking of getting this for my brother for his birthday. It sounds like it would be worth while.