PDA

View Full Version : Billy Boat Wrecks Hard Into Pit Road Attenuator

Chief
05-10-03, 11:40 AM
Billy Boat crashed violently into the attenuator at the entrance to pit road this AM. Report is he was helped from the vehicle by safety workers. He apparently walked into the medical center.

Racewriter
05-10-03, 01:37 PM
Latest report is that he is sore, but basically OK. Was expected to be back at the track later today.

Hink
05-10-03, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the goods news. Sounds like he was emulating Firestone and Dismore and that had me worried.

cart7
05-10-03, 02:38 PM
Cogan also had a rather spectacular run in with the end of the pit wall as I recall. Split the car in two with the engine sliding along right beside his head while he slid down pit road oh so many years ago.

Railbird
05-10-03, 02:46 PM
http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/section-image-018116-9605.jpg

Sounds like he slid quite a ways and ground off some speed before impact,but he still owes his fanny to Bill Simpson.

Hink
05-10-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Cogan also had a rather spectacular run in with the end of the pit wall as I recall. Split the car in two with the engine sliding along right beside his head while he slid down pit road oh so many years ago.

Yeah - I was there sitting in the front row of the H stand. He didn't hit the end of pit wall but he hit on the outside of four and then inside wall a ton. The way his engine was hanging out and the way he went into the pits, it's amazing things turned out as well as they did.

Hot Rod Otis
05-10-03, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/section-image-018116-9605.jpg

Sounds like he slid quite a ways and ground off some speed before impact,but he still owes his fanny to Bill Simpson.

Yikes.:eek: Boat's lucky.

Dennis Firestone hit the end of pit wall a ton in 1985 as well.

Hink
05-10-03, 05:14 PM
Firestone was 1986 (my first 500 in person). They had "The Greatest Spectacle in Raining" that year. He had qualified the car then crashed it and they couldn't fix it before the race so Dick Simon started as first alternate. The team claimed that they could have fixed it had they known they had an extra week but it was too late since they already withdrew the car (wreckage).