PDA

View Full Version : Alonso leaves McLaren!

jonovision_man
11-02-07, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised... McLaren were his best shot for another championship, wherever he ends up won't be as good (or as lucrative).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63742

Unless he's going to Ferrari, this doesn't look like a very good move.

jono

tllips
11-02-07, 09:34 AM
"Flavio? A Mister Alonso is on line 1"

Ed_Severson
11-02-07, 09:49 AM
Interesting to see where he ends up. Ferrari have Raikkonen and Massa under contract already, and Alonso recently said that if he were to leave McLaren, Renault would not be his preferred destination. Seems like a voluntary forfeiture of any hope to win the world championship next year!

emjaya
11-02-07, 09:54 AM
He can have Webber's seat at Red Bull and Webber can have the seat at McLaren :gomer: :)

High Sided
11-02-07, 09:55 AM
isn't he signed with ferrari starting in 09?

Sean Malone
11-02-07, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised... McLaren were his best shot for another championship, wherever he ends up won't be as good (or as lucrative).

jono

:)

TrueBrit
11-02-07, 10:14 AM
From McLaren to Red Bull....Looks like Freddie might find out the hard way that no-one likes a grass.....

Dirk Diggler
11-02-07, 10:15 AM

Mr. Childress, there's a Fernado for you on line 1...

Sean Malone
11-02-07, 10:25 AM

jono

Are you suggesting Kimi and Alonso would switch seats? Kimi just won the WDC with Ferrari and Massa just re-upped through '09. I don't see either one voluntarily leaving.

opinionated ow
11-02-07, 11:00 AM
i still reckon renault. would make me very happy.

NismoZ
11-02-07, 01:22 PM
"I never really felt at home. Sometimes in life things don't work out." TELL me about it!:D But who to McLaren...Rosberg or Kovalainen?

Ed_Severson
11-02-07, 01:27 PM
But who to McLaren...Rosberg or Kovalainen?

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Sidebox-Danica-Patrick.jpg

TrueBrit
11-02-07, 02:06 PM
But who to McLaren...Rosberg or Kovalainen?

Good question...is Heidfeld locked up for next year?...I seem to remember that Mercedes were keen to get a German in that car at some point...and NO Ralfie doesn't count..

If he is I would think that they'd try and get Rosberg...he's technically a German...

RusH
11-02-07, 02:12 PM
Whoever McLaren choose as their driver, it must be made clear that he will be a lapdog to Golden Boy. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
11-02-07, 02:50 PM
I wish it were Truli. I hate it that he's at Toyota.

JohnHKart
11-02-07, 03:07 PM
It must suck getting your doors blown off by a rookie team mate more than should be possible. I've lost all respect for that jackass. By grass boy!

John

Gnam
11-02-07, 03:15 PM
Good question...is Heidfeld locked up for next year?...I seem to remember that Mercedes were keen to get a German in that car at some point...

Guten tag. Sigmund Bourtag is being at your service, mein Herr. Deutschlander? Yavol!

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9281/sebastienburdet1rb7.jpg

Gnam
11-02-07, 03:17 PM
Whoever McLaren choose as their driver, it must be made clear that he will be a lapdog to Golden Boy. :thumbup:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3572/39438766thumbsupgi300x3jm5.jpg

NismoZ
11-02-07, 03:48 PM
Bourtag would be an EXCELLENT choice!:thumbup:

jonovision_man
11-02-07, 05:45 PM
Are you suggesting Kimi and Alonso would switch seats? Kimi just won the WDC with Ferrari and Massa just re-upped through '09. I don't see either one voluntarily leaving.

No, it is very unlikely. Alonso is a whiny baby storming off of a championship contender over what should be an easily solvable problem. He was almost WDC this year, to leave that is a bad career move of Jacques-level proportions.

jono

Sean Malone
11-02-07, 07:06 PM
No, it is very unlikely. Alonso is a whiny baby storming off of a championship contender over what should be an easily solvable problem. He was almost WDC this year, to leave that is a bad career move of Jacques-level proportions.

jono

I don't think he had much choice.:)

RusH
11-02-07, 08:34 PM
I don't think he had much choice.:)

:rofl:

JohnHKart
11-02-07, 08:56 PM
This month's F1 Racing states that Alonso tried to blackmail Dennis by asking him to slow down Hamilton or he would take the incriminating emails to the FIA. Of course Ron wasn't going to do that, so off to the FIA went Alonso. This is why I made the comments earlier.

John

Methanolandbrats
11-02-07, 09:03 PM
Hamilton is a better politician than he is a driver, he navigated a minefield this year and came out on top.:thumbup:

RusH
11-02-07, 09:15 PM
F1 Racing is a UK source no?
http://www.f1racing.co.uk/

It`s ugly,, but the Spanish press does the same.

It would be easier to take if the love of the boy king`s followers didn`t ruin any objectivity.

mapguy
11-02-07, 10:27 PM

You don't follow F1 much, do you. This is McLaren, not Ferrari. Alonso came in as a 2 time champ. Had every opportunity to establish himself as a #1. Didn't do it and proceeded to throw his toys out the pram.

RusH
11-02-07, 10:35 PM
You don't follow F1 much, do you. This is McLaren, not Ferrari. Alonso came in as a 2 time champ. Had every opportunity to establish himself as a #1. Didn't do it and proceeded to throw his toys out the pram.

I follow it enough.
I see who is who, who they favor, and why they favor.
Hmm, ,,,,you sayin` this is rocket science?
:cry:

jonovision_man
11-03-07, 07:42 AM

I follow it enough.
I see who is who, who they favor, and why they favor.
Hmm, ,,,,you sayin` this is rocket science?

I agree with mapguy... in fact earlier in the season we had people accusing McLaren of favouring Alonso! Remember when Hamilton had his qualifying messed up when Alonso was held during his pit stop, I believe it was in Hungary?

McLaren didn't sign Alonso to sabotage his season, they signed him to win championships. He had his chance, and despite the friction in the team he almost won the championship. He certainly can't cry favouritism, he made himself the team pariah.

Edit: it's Saturday and I'm bored:
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39437

Alonso had won the race in Monaco, and there was a claim that they intentionally kept Hamilton behind due to favouritism. McLaren were cleared by the FIA.

Here's the thread where we argued about it:
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12930

jono

EDwardo
11-03-07, 08:14 PM

According to f1gpupdate.net, Flavio called Fred and offered him a long term contract.

....I have presented a plan for Fernando's future at our team. If he wants he can race with us in 2008.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/03/renault-offers-alonso-long-term-deal/

Rogue Leader
11-03-07, 09:07 PM
According to f1gpupdate.net, Flavio called Fred and offered him a long term contract.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/03/renault-offers-alonso-long-term-deal/

Considering there are no open seats at Ferrari or BMW, thats about his only shot at anything. Its still the same team as last time, and as long as they catch on over winter testing to the bridgestones (unlike this year), they *should* be competitive next year.

IMHO if he takes anything but this offer he will be JVing his career forthwith!

emjaya
11-04-07, 02:14 AM
Fred's got two in the bag and he's never going to get a seat at a winning team because he's a dirty lowdown blackmailer. ;)

He neeeds to go for the money, ie: Toyota. :gomer:

NismoZ
11-07-07, 06:51 PM
As far as "Who to McLaren?...I'm now hearing, Bruno Spengler! Verrrry interesting.:cool:

cameraman
11-07-07, 06:59 PM
A Bruno Spengler to McLaren rumor.

If you ever needed proof that smoking crack is bad for you, look to the source of that rumor.

Spicoli
11-07-07, 07:13 PM
As far as "Who to McLaren?...I'm now hearing, Bruno Spengler! Verrrry interesting.:cool:

WTF? Canabian?:eek:

stroker
11-07-07, 08:26 PM
I'm surprised we haven't heard about Dennis giving a test to Sam Hornish over at ****forum yet.

NismoZ
11-08-07, 01:56 PM
Nah, Hornish full time in NASCRAP next season, Briscoe to replace Sam in the HRL. I'm certain C'man knows there are lots of rumors out of Europe about Alonso. I wonder what he thinks of this one? If Williams is now set and Renault still seems the most likely place for him to land, why has Alonso's manager talked with both Mateschitz and Berger (Spanish news source) recently? Instantly the F-1 experts in rumor trading have speculated, READY?...that Sebastian Bourdais could be asked to spend 1 more season in CC (on Red Bull's dime?) to make room at Toro Rosso for David Coulthard alongside Vettel (that would ruin a Sebastian and Sebastien combo:) ) so Alonso could drive for Red Bull with Webber. Simple, huh?

IF that was true, even though I'd like to see Bourdais race here as a 3rd and additional sponsored entry in CC, and I was Bourdais, I'd hope I was in the position to simply say NO to any Alonso deal, then request to be moved up to Red Bull with Webber so there would be room for Alonso on the junior team with Vettel! Heck, maybe if Red Bull teamed Alonso alongside Bourdais we'd get the truest indication of how good the FOUR time champ really is!?:)

G.
11-09-07, 12:24 PM
Instantly the F-1 experts in rumor trading have speculated, READY?...that Sebastian Bourdais could be asked to spend 1 more season in CC (on Red Bull's dime?) to make room at Toro Rosso for David Coulthard alongside Vettel (that would ruin a Sebastian and Sebastien combo:) ) so Alonso could drive for Red Bull with Webber. Simple, huh?

That would be horrible. An absolute insult to SB. He's earned his shot. He's too elderly to wait another year.

Andrew Longman
11-09-07, 12:52 PM
Crazy notion but was it ever/is it possible that SB and Alonso to simply trade seats? They're both under contract and both would welcome the move (away at least).

The toughest thing for Alsono is that unless Renault steps it up, he has no team to go to with much of a chance to win the championship. Might as well go to Toro Rossa. He would have been far better off shutting up and waiting for another competitive team/seat to emerge down in the next season or two.

NismoZ
11-20-07, 02:32 PM
Latest I'm hearing says Alonso wants only a 1 year deal with Renault because he's (probably) going to be at Ferrari in '09 but Renault wants at least a 3-year contract. IF thats the case speculation says he could still land at Red Bull for one season. So, who moves (out? down? back?) to make room if that happens?

Gnam
11-20-07, 03:04 PM
If Ferrari wants Alonso for the 2009 season, why not sign him now? Put Massa in one of the Ferrari Red Bulls, or use him as a test driver, right?

It's like Fantasy Football, sometimes you add a player just to deny him to the rest of the field. :p

Insomniac
11-20-07, 03:16 PM
Or get Alonso as a test driver and see if he can develop the car at Maranello.

NismoZ
11-20-07, 07:21 PM
But...but...LUCA!:eek:

NismoZ
11-29-07, 02:26 PM
Alonso Honda seat fitting...today. Barrichello to Super Aguri? Sport Bild.:D

NismoZ
11-29-07, 05:26 PM
And denied by Honda mere moments after the "news" hits the info highway!

Dirk Diggler
11-29-07, 06:06 PM
Alonso to Coyne. You heard it here first. Spread it around.

extramundane
11-29-07, 08:05 PM
Alonso to Coyne. You heard it here first. Spread it around.

No way. Everyone knows that Prodrive is coming to CC, and Davey-boy will have Fred in tow. Guar-on-teed. :thumbup: :gomer:

Rogue Leader
11-29-07, 08:13 PM
Alonso to Hesketh You heard it here first!

NismoZ
11-29-07, 11:52 PM
If he wants a 1-year he'll probably have to donate his services. N/H/L could keep him sharp! Alonso to CC would actually be bigger news than Montoya to NASCAB!:D

dando
12-10-07, 10:50 AM
Back to Renault it is!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=3148557

Spanish media reported that Alonso would earn $51.3 million per season, though Renault would not confirm the figure.

:eek:

-Kevin

opinionated ow
12-10-07, 11:22 AM
Back to Renault it is!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=3148557

:eek:

-Kevin
thanks for making my day!!!!:cool:

fav team and driver back together again, bring on the domination. oh, and up yours Lewis Hamilton

jonovision_man
12-10-07, 11:49 AM
Alonso is such a child:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7136498.stm

Kovalainen, who is managed by team boss Flavio Briatore, was considered by the team to be good enough to challenge Alonso, and therefore keeping him was not in the interests of a harmonious team.

Alonso said: "This is the team where I grew up as a driver in F1. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together.

Oh really? You've grown up? :p :rolleyes:

I hope Piquet hands him his ass, just like Hamilton did... champs shouldn't be on par (and often very sub par) with rookie teammates.

jono

IlliniRacer
12-10-07, 11:55 AM
Sucks for Kovalainen :shakehead

jonovision_man
12-10-07, 11:56 AM
No kidding.

"I'm sorry, you're too fast and that might bruise Alonso's pathetic little ego. You're fired."

jono

chop456
12-10-07, 12:33 PM
If that salary figure is accurate, either A) ING had better be paying an assload more than I think they are, or B) Fred better win a championship post-haste.

Carlos the butcher won't put up with that crap for long, methinks.

Dr. Corkski
12-10-07, 12:48 PM
Alonso is such a child:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7136498.stm

Oh really? You've grown up? :p :rolleyes:

I hope Piquet hands him his ass, just like Hamilton did... champs shouldn't be on par (and often very sub par) with rookie teammates.

jonohttp://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6564/1890532bx1.jpg

Are you English or retarded?

No quotes or source associated with the Kovalainen part, coming from a media hellbent on demonizing Alonso without regards for facts, coming from a media with lower journalistic integrity standards than Geraldo? :laugh:

eiregosod
12-10-07, 01:12 PM
worth every cent.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 01:18 PM
Did I miss last season? Heikki could keep up with Alonso? He didn't seem much better than Fisichella.

jonovision_man
12-10-07, 01:38 PM
Are you English or retarded?

No quotes or source associated with the Kovalainen part, coming from a media hellbent on demonizing Alonso without regards for facts, coming from a media with lower journalistic integrity standards than Geraldo? :laugh:

You must be joking... the BBC? If they have low journalistic integrity then there isn't a media outlet on the planet with any. The writer could have been a little ... overzealous? in his speculation, but it certainly fits the known facts about Alonso.

Alonso couldn't deal with a fast rookie teammate last year, it's entirely plausible that Renault want to avoid a similar problem this year.

jono

cameraman
12-10-07, 02:09 PM
Trying reading the news folks.

Fernando Alonso will race for Renault next season alongside Nelson Piquet Jr, it was confirmed on Monday.

Alonso and Piquet will be supported by Frenchman Romain Grosjean, reigning 2007 F3 Euroseries Champion and a product of Renault’s driver development scheme, in the role of test driver.

Both drivers are gone and if you think Piquet is better than Heikki you are nuts.

Although if Kovalainen ends up at McLaren, that would be nice.

jonovision_man
12-11-07, 03:55 PM
Another media outlet making the same claim:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64352

The Finn impressed in his debut season with Renault, claiming his maiden podium finish in the wet Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji and outscoring more experienced teammate Giancarlo Fisichella.

But it is understood that his speed ultimately cost him the chance of staying on board at Renault, because the returning Fernando Alonso did not want a teammate to pose the kind of challenge that he faced with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren this year.

Autosport is pretty decent... they don't just make stuff up, it usually has foundation in fact.

jono

eiregosod
12-11-07, 04:22 PM
^ sounds like it was Kovaleinen or his manager who made that quote

Rogue Leader
12-11-07, 07:24 PM
^ sounds like it was Kovaleinen or his manager who made that quote

Isnt his manager good ol Flava Flav?

jonovision_man
12-11-07, 07:52 PM
Yup... so I'm guessing he didn't fess up on that one. :)

jono

Dr. Corkski
12-11-07, 08:30 PM
Another media outlet making the same claim:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64352

Autosport is pretty decent... they don't just make stuff up, it usually has foundation in fact.

jonoJust because the queen is on your money, doesn't mean you have to believe everything that comes out of that country. :p

Kovalainen would be an absolute idiot to go to mcLaren if he thought he was any good. That team is already based around one driver, and any driver regardless of talent will be relegated to #2 status even if the team is so far in denial that it believes itself to be giving equal treatment. He has no chance in hell in the press either when the entire british media is just as delusional or desperate.

cameraman
12-11-07, 08:46 PM
Kovalainen would be an absolute idiot to go to mcLaren if he thought he was any good. So you would have him turn down a McLaren ride for an outside shot at Team India?

Insomniac
12-11-07, 09:05 PM
So you would have him turn down a McLaren ride for an outside shot at Team India?

Incredible India! (Just saw a commercial for it on CNN Headline News)

Gnam
12-11-07, 09:09 PM
Even for #2, McLaren = podiums & wins yes,no?

Plus who better to screen Lewis from Alonso then the guy Alonso forced out.

jonovision_man
12-12-07, 11:25 AM
Kovalainen would be an absolute idiot to go to mcLaren if he thought he was any good. That team is already based around one driver, and any driver regardless of talent will be relegated to #2 status even if the team is so far in denial that it believes itself to be giving equal treatment. He has no chance in hell in the press either when the entire british media is just as delusional or desperate.

Yeah, the British media are way out to lunch, getting excited about some crap kid who couldn't even win the championship in his first season. :p

I mean heck, he barely beat his teammate, who was only a 2-time WDC. ;)

Earlier in the year there were people on this board accusing McLaren of favouritism... toward Alonso. Everyone forgot Monaco already? Malaysia? Supposedly McLaren were out to get Hamilton and favouring Alonso... then Hammy started handing Fred his butt and suddenly the accusations went the other way.

jono

Dr. Corkski
12-12-07, 12:27 PM
Even for #2, McLaren = podiums & wins yes,no?

Plus who better to screen Lewis from Alonso then the guy Alonso forced out.You are assuming mcLaren is going to have a good car next year. They are due for a down year. They went from having the fastest car in 05 to winless in 06. They have also lost their chief designer and Alonso.

Dr. Corkski
12-12-07, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the British media are way out to lunch, getting excited about some crap kid who couldn't even win the championship in his first season. :p

Earlier in the year there were people on this board accusing McLaren of favouritism... toward Alonso. Everyone forgot Monaco already? Malaysia? Supposedly McLaren were out to get Hamilton and favouring Alonso... then Hammy started handing Fred his butt and suddenly the accusations went the other way.

jonoSo you are just admitting that the British media can't be taken seriously because they are biased towards hamilton? :gomer:

Where did those Monaco claims originate from? Oh yeah, the British media.

Insomniac
12-12-07, 04:00 PM

jono

I was one of the people who thought they were showing Fernando favoritism. And that's what it looked like to me. Others argued no way Ron Dennis would do that to his golden boy.

Also, Lewis' performance did drop after Fernando was allowed to keep all his data to himself. I'd like to see how Lewis does without him.

jonovision_man
12-13-07, 03:18 PM
Where did those Monaco claims originate from? Oh yeah, the British media.

No, it originated from fans who saw Hamilton get the lessor of two strategies and lose to Alonso.

So you are just admitting that the British media can't be taken seriously because they are biased towards hamilton? :gomer:

Of course they're biased, but you just have to listen to what's coming out of Fred's own mouth to show that they're not always wrong.

jono

Dr. Corkski
12-13-07, 04:33 PM
No, it originated from fans who saw Hamilton get the lessor of two strategies and lose to Alonso.Many of whom also happened to be members of the British press.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59243

Of course they're biased, but you just have to listen to what's coming out of Fred's own mouth to show that they're not always wrong.Just because Alonso is an asshat doesn't mean he wasn't right either.

jonovision_man
12-13-07, 08:31 PM
Many of whom also happened to be members of the British press.

The reality is that teams cover their bases, they use different strategies to ensure they win... someone gets a good one, someone gets a bad one. On that day, Hammy got the bad one, on other days he got the good one.

Just because Alonso is an asshat doesn't mean he wasn't right either.

Right about some things, a whiney little baby about others... at the end of the day, McLaren want a championship, by whichever driver can deliver that to them. You had to think Alonso was more likely than the rookie to be the man this year, but Alonso couldn't get it done and became the #2 by virtue of the point standings. Tough titties. Suck it up, walk it off.

Or in his case, just suck, and walk.

jono

Easy
12-14-07, 12:56 PM
Yes, the second of two drivers who ever beat Schuey to the world title in a straight fight is not that good.

oddlycalm
12-14-07, 08:57 PM
Yes, the second of two drivers who ever beat Schuey to the world title in a straight fight is not that good. Exactly. The classic example of this was all the smack on the usenet forums about what a jerk Senna was. Fast drivers do things that make people say negative things about them, but that doesn't make them slower or take wins and WDC titles out of the record book.

Last season we got to the end with 3 (nearly 4) drivers still in contention. No shortage of talent on the track. Kovalainen should make a good #2 at McLaren and I hope he good enough to push young Lewis.

oc

Dr. Corkski
12-15-07, 04:19 AM
Heikki Barrichello (http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/12/14/mclaren-signs-kovalainen-for-long-term/) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

extramundane
12-15-07, 09:13 AM
Nevermind.

jonovision_man
12-15-07, 05:24 PM
Yes, the second of two drivers who ever beat Schuey to the world title in a straight fight is not that good.

First - he is good, he just got beat. It happens.

Second - what straight fight? They had different cars. It's never straight in F1 unless you have the same equipment, ie. Hamilton and Alonso. ;)

jono

Easy
12-17-07, 12:48 PM
I'm just saying that Damon Hill and JV beat Schu to the WDC in far superior equipment and Newtown could barely manage it. When Mika and Fernando did it, the Ferrari wasn't a complete piece of dog s**t, it was one of the 2 best cars on the grid. Bridgestone of course helped Alonso's first title.

So basically, yes, Alonso is a dick. So was Senna, so was Schu, so was Piquet, so was Prost. Its not a congeniality contest and nice guys rarely get ahead in F1. Extracting himself from what he felt was a losing situation in the long run at McLaren does not make him a bad driver.

jonovision_man
12-17-07, 08:34 PM
I don't disagree. Although I'd prefer if he'd be a dick instead of a whiny little pansy boy. :p But no doubt, he's a fast whiny little pansy boy.

jono

Easy
12-18-07, 04:32 PM
Leaving RonWorld at this stage could be the best move he has ever made, whiny or not. $100,000,000 is a good sized hole in the budget. Also, Mutua Madrilena have bailed. Interesting to see what the other sponsors, I'm sorry, Partners (this is McLaren) do.

So McLaren with a big budget hit + Ferrari in a major reshuffle + Newey's 2nd Red Bull chassis = 2008 is Coulthard's year.:D

Ankf00
12-18-07, 04:36 PM
So you would have him turn down a McLaren ride for an outside shot at Team India?

I would. :)

Dirk Diggler
12-18-07, 07:13 PM
So basically, yes, Alonso is a dick. So was Senna, so was Schu, so was Piquet, so was Prost. Its not a congeniality contest and nice guys rarely get ahead in F1.

From Nigel Roebuck,

Years ago, Williams F1 boss Frank Williams discussed the pitfalls of running two top drivers and said it was asking for trouble. “Putting two bulls in one field, it’s bound to be, isn’t it?” he said. “And if I’ve learned one thing about racing drivers, it’s that the great ones are bastards!”

cameraman
12-18-07, 07:24 PM
I would. :)

Looks like you get Fisi instead:rofl:

Cam
12-19-07, 08:14 AM
From Nigel Roebuck,

Years ago, Williams F1 boss Frank Williams discussed the pitfalls of running two top drivers and said it was asking for trouble. “Putting two bulls in one field, it’s bound to be, isn’t it?” he said. “And if I’ve learned one thing about racing drivers, it’s that the great ones are bastards!”

There is a big difference in the way that FW treats drivers to RD and even FB and the red team.Frank believes that drivers are a commodity and therefore expendable. Just as much as a piston. Ron coddles his drivers as they are the ones that win him championships. The combination of driver talent and team cohesion is critical.

Dirk Diggler
12-19-07, 11:15 AM
There is a big difference in the way that FW treats drivers to RD and even FB and the red team.Frank believes that drivers are a commodity and therefore expendable. Just as much as a piston. Ron coddles his drivers as they are the ones that win him championships. The combination of driver talent and team cohesion is critical.

Agreed - Frank shares the Enzo Ferrari philosophy that drivers should be grateful to drive his cars. In addition to Ron, McLaren tends to have a Joe Ramirez type around, as well. Someone to have a calming effect on the drivers. Williams has Patrick Head...:laugh: