PDA

View Full Version : 3pm today. announcement concerning 08 schedule.

Spicoli
11-01-07, 01:03 PM
Tune in.

dando
11-01-07, 01:05 PM
Good thing I'm not wearing socks today. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
11-01-07, 01:06 PM
Hmm, an announcement "concerning" the schedule. Maybe it's an announcement to announce when the schedule will be announced.:)

Spicoli
11-01-07, 01:16 PM
:D

I have no clue, but I wil at 3pm I suppose. :gomer: I sure hope we can top that "Peak Oil" announcement from The League/Series.

cameraman
11-01-07, 01:19 PM
At 3:00 they hand Robin Miller a press release or is there some place we might look and or listen?

Methanolandbrats
11-01-07, 01:21 PM
:thumbup: I'm excited. I'm gonna sit right here and hit refresh every 5 seconds until the announcement :thumbup:

Spicoli
11-01-07, 01:28 PM
At 3:00 they hand Robin Miller a press release or is there some place we might look and or listen?

Public hanging? :rofl: I suppose you could go over there and see what happens. :D AFAIK, its a meeting w/employees. Not sure there will be press.

Ed_Severson
11-01-07, 01:30 PM
Just to be clear ... this is not a press release or any sort of announcement. It is an internal staff meeting.

Spicoli
11-01-07, 01:32 PM
Just to be clear ... this is not a press release or any sort of announcement. It is an internal staff meeting.

you're no fun. Could had a 12 pager on TF with this one. :)

Sean Malone
11-01-07, 01:35 PM
Why do I have this foreboding feeling?:(

cameraman
11-01-07, 01:38 PM
Experience.

Methanolandbrats
11-01-07, 01:44 PM
Screw it.

TKGAngel
11-01-07, 01:48 PM
Hmm, an announcement "concerning" the schedule. Maybe it's an announcement to announce when the schedule will be announced.:)

Wasn't this the trend a few seasons ago? Announce an announcement of an announcement that there would be an announcement?

Sean Malone
11-01-07, 01:48 PM
Experience.

:rofl:

I assume this is meeting is 3, Indy time?

Dirk Diggler
11-01-07, 01:50 PM

"The company photocopiers should not be used for inappropriate purposes" sort of thing, is it?

Spicoli
11-01-07, 02:04 PM
"The company photocopiers should not be used for inappropriate purposes" sort of thing, is it?

you buttheads - play along next time.

Ankf00
11-01-07, 02:06 PM
what I would give for some cheese enchiladas from Maudies, or the #5 from Enchiladas y Mas.

KLang
11-01-07, 02:25 PM
Champ Car HQ must be pretty leaky if we are discussing an 'internal' staff meeting before it happens. :gomer:

Sean Malone
11-01-07, 02:33 PM
Champ Car HQ must be pretty leaky if we are discussing an 'internal' staff meeting before it happens. :gomer:

Spicoli 'knows' the receptionist. :D

dando
11-01-07, 02:41 PM
Spicoli 'knows' the receptionist. :D

He IS the receptionist. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Spicoli
11-01-07, 02:41 PM
He IS the receptionist. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Mysister is the the recptionist.

(seriously - no)

Wabbit
11-01-07, 03:50 PM

Whos getting fired this week?

Ed_Severson
11-01-07, 03:53 PM
Whos getting fired this week?

Spikkles. ;)

Methanolandbrats
11-01-07, 03:55 PM
This website is blessed with a number of media insiders :gomer:

Spicoli
11-01-07, 04:30 PM
evidently there will be an 08. :) or maybe something like that. Hell, Monday you will hear.

nissan gtp
11-01-07, 04:40 PM
evidently there will be an 08. :) or maybe something like that. Hell, Monday you will hear.

so you didn't hear anything ? :rofl:

talk up if ya got anything

pchall
11-01-07, 04:43 PM
Mysister is the the recptionist.

Spicoli "knows" his sister? :eek:

stroker
11-01-07, 04:46 PM
Screw it.

Roger that.

Spicoli
11-01-07, 05:35 PM
Spikkles. ;)

Already have that status, thanks. :laugh:

Spicoli
11-01-07, 05:36 PM
so you didn't hear anything ? :rofl:

talk up if ya got anything

not that,,,i can,,,,say :laugh:

dando
11-01-07, 06:50 PM

Good work out of ya, Spickly. Any updates on Danicle's due date? :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Tim
11-01-07, 07:19 PM
It probably took them 3 hours to decide where to get lunch from. They then over-hyped how good the food was and ended up cancelling the order.

Sean O'Gorman
11-01-07, 07:28 PM
It probably took them 3 hours to decide where to get lunch from. They then over-hyped how good the food was and ended up cancelling the order.

Let me guess, it was going to be Chinese?

doppelganger
11-01-07, 07:28 PM

:laugh:

Dirk Diggler
11-01-07, 07:53 PM

Let me guess, it was going to be Chinese?

Korean?

pchall
11-01-07, 08:32 PM
Korean?

Tenderloin sandwiches and sweet corn, fer sure! They're in Indiana!

Then they discovered the corn was lousy this year and the season is over anyway and ordered from Bazbeaux's.

Methanolandbrats
11-01-07, 09:41 PM
Could be they are all being fitted for yellow shirts :eek:

Dirk Diggler
11-01-07, 10:06 PM
So... did they ever establish who was photocopying their butt, or was it just a general warning?

extramundane
11-01-07, 10:14 PM
Could be they are all being fitted for yellow shirts :eek:

Bob Cole > Steve Johnson.

So... did they ever establish who was photocopying their butt, or was it just a general warning?

CC management has yet to prove they can even find their asses, let alone photocopy them...

Wally
11-01-07, 10:56 PM
Oh.....OUCH.....:laugh:

Spicoli
11-01-07, 11:10 PM
Bob Cole > Steve Johnson.

:rofl: x 1000000000000

Dirk Diggler
11-02-07, 02:44 AM
CC management has yet to prove they can even find their asses, let alone photocopy them...

http://www.batmania.com.ar/images/images_serie/serie_pow.jpg

Spicoli
11-03-07, 08:13 AM
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98758

:laugh:

miatanut
11-03-07, 12:18 PM
Cleveland losses? What are they smoking?

jonovision_man
11-03-07, 01:16 PM
Cleveland losses? What are they smoking?

That specific poster is very questionable in general...

jono

datachicane
11-03-07, 01:34 PM
Well, considering the guy is just doing his job, what do you expect, objectivity?

jonovision_man
11-03-07, 01:52 PM
You said it, not me. :)

jono

Spicoli
11-04-07, 01:37 PM
cat outta da bag. Monday announcement of 08 confirmed (as in no TBAs) schedule.

some will be happy, others will not.

We will have less races than the IRL.

nrc
11-04-07, 01:56 PM
Good to know that people will have something to complain about for the next year.

Spicoli
11-04-07, 03:24 PM
Good to know that people will have something to complain about for the next year.

As long as the series doesn't continue to embarrass itsself with overpromise/underdeliver, cancelled races, bad PR, then there won't likely be complaining. If you think about it, that's 99% of people's complaints.

Indy
11-04-07, 04:53 PM
Personally, I think they would be better off with ten or twelve solid races, a shorter season, and thus, now that the DP01's have been purchased, a less expensive season for the teams and thus better primary sponsorship potential. Perhaps then we would see car counts begin to rise (if the series shares overseas income with the teams, which is a big if).

Indy
11-04-07, 04:54 PM
^^^ But, to be fair, that is easy for me to say, because I know I will have RA and Laguna.

jonovision_man
11-04-07, 05:13 PM
As long as the series doesn't continue to embarrass itsself with overpromise/underdeliver, cancelled races, bad PR, then there won't likely be complaining. If you think about it, that's 99% of people's complaints.

On the management side, there's also the big gaps in the schedule and the 17 car grid to complain about. I won't be happy until they get all of that fixed, and for the love of all that is good run every damn race they schedule!

The TV for next season should be more consistent and better, now that it's ABC/ESPN (hopefully not Classic? right? please?).

Canadian and Oz fans had a lot to complain about with the TV situation. Us Canucks got satisfaction with the Score, although it's not exactly the network they want to be on long-term if they want to grow the series up here.

jono

Spicoli
11-04-07, 05:56 PM
On the management side, there's also the big gaps in the schedule and the 17 car grid to complain about. I won't be happy until they get all of that fixed, and for the love of all that is good run every damn race they schedule!

The TV for next season should be more consistent and better, now that it's ABC/ESPN (hopefully not Classic? right? please?).

Canadian and Oz fans had a lot to complain about with the TV situation. Us Canucks got satisfaction with the Score, although it's not exactly the network they want to be on long-term if they want to grow the series up here.

jono

From my understanding, Tony Cotman has emerged as 100% in charge and SJ has been relegated to the back of the bus.

GOOD.

TC is a great guy, and has what it takes to get this hting back on track. Add in that he has respect from most everyone in the sport, and its time to get behind this guy.

I agree that the 17 cars, big gaps in schedule, etc are also major concerns. BUT, if they release a decent schedule, with viable, money making races that fans will pay to see, then that is a BIG step in the right direction, IMHO.

I ahve no clue as to the TV packages, etc, but I do know that TC is a realist, and is the best - if not final - hope to right the ship.

And while I am on my soapbox, would someone PLEASE show Genitolozzi the door? :thumdown: He and TC are polar opposites, and if KK/GF have truly given TC the latitude and tools to re-whatever this series, I would dare say there is absolutely no room for a jacktard like PG.

cameraman
11-04-07, 06:00 PM
I would dare say there is absolutely no room for a jacktard like PG. No room anywhere on the planet. Once upon a time Trans Am was kinda fun to watch too.

jonovision_man
11-04-07, 07:10 PM
From my understanding, Tony Cotman has emerged as 100% in charge and SJ has been relegated to the back of the bus.

GOOD.

TC is a great guy, and has what it takes to get this hting back on track. Add in that he has respect from most everyone in the sport, and its time to get behind this guy.

I agree that the 17 cars, big gaps in schedule, etc are also major concerns. BUT, if they release a decent schedule, with viable, money making races that fans will pay to see, then that is a BIG step in the right direction, IMHO.

I ahve no clue as to the TV packages, etc, but I do know that TC is a realist, and is the best - if not final - hope to right the ship.

And while I am on my soapbox, would someone PLEASE show Genitolozzi the door? :thumdown: He and TC are polar opposites, and if KK/GF have truly given TC the latitude and tools to re-whatever this series, I would dare say there is absolutely no room for a jacktard like PG.

I would love it if SJ is truly out... seems like the wind changes on that one daily though.

Every year I think "maybe this year..." and every year they blow it, so not sure I'm going to muster up too much hope for 2008... but hey, lower expectations, they might exceed them for a change. :thumbup:

jono

nissan gtp
11-04-07, 07:50 PM
TC having more influence would be a very good thing, as would kicking PG to the curb.

Methanolandbrats
11-04-07, 07:55 PM
Sounds like we have hit bottom and this is THE rebuilding year :D

greenie
11-04-07, 08:52 PM

GOOD.

:thumbup:

NismoZ
11-04-07, 11:06 PM
So 14 then? All of 6 in the US, 3 in Canada, 3 in Europe? (Spain?) Australia and Mexico? A possible 2-1 edge for road courses over streets and 2 airports? That part of it I like. Havin' trouble with those city festivals, eh. Anyone find out who set fire to all those bundled tires in LV?:rolleyes:

Spicoli
11-05-07, 12:25 AM

Vegas out

Spain in.

stroker
11-05-07, 12:35 AM
They have train tracks in Spain?

cameraman
11-05-07, 02:14 AM
Portland survived?

Hoping....

KLang
11-05-07, 07:41 AM
I hope the schedule at AR1 is wrong. Vegas was a great venue. We would have been back for sure.

If there is a race in Spain, Servia can count on having a ride for at least part of the year.

Also the tail end of that schedule still sucks. One race a month in August, September, October and November.

Insomniac
11-05-07, 08:46 AM

I won't mind at all if there are less races (they may want to consider going back to the old points system to prevent the championship from being locked up too early). I would just hope that the long gaps are gone (no more than 1, 3 week gap in the summer) and the season ends sooner than later.

Ed_Severson
11-05-07, 10:50 AM
they may want to consider going back to the old points system to prevent the championship from being locked up too early.

Pardon the mess I'm about to make :) ...

Wouldn't matter. In fact, that would have made it worse. The old system put more of a premium on wins than the current points system does -- the gap between 1st and 2nd was 20% of the winner's total with the old points system (20 pts for 1st, 16 pts for 2nd) and it's only 12.9% with the current system (31 pts for 1st, 27 pts for 2nd). Just for fun (and because I'm a bit bored at work today), I ran this season's results through the old points system. As a reminder, the old points were as follows:

1st -- 20
2nd -- 16
3rd -- 14
4th -- 12
5th -- 10
6th -- 8
7th -- 6
8th -- 5
9th -- 4
10th -- 3
11th -- 2
12th - 1

+1 for pole
+1 for most laps led

Here's the current points standings (through Australia) with the new system. With 1 race to go, Bourdais has an insurmountable 62 point lead (34 points max. available per race); he had a 58 point lead with 2 races to go:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/msarmbrester/newpoints.jpg

Here's the old points system through Assen. Bourdais would have clinched in Europe, holding a 47 point lead with only 44 points available (2 races @ 22 points per race):

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/msarmbrester/oldpoints1.jpg

And through Australia, for comparison. The only notable difference in the standings between the two points systems is Servia -- 6th under the old system with a very realistic shot at 5th but locked out of 4th, and he could fall as low as 10th. Under the current system he's 9th but still has a mathematical possibility for 4th, and could fall to 10th:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/msarmbrester/oldpoints2.jpg

Insomniac
11-05-07, 12:01 PM
Pardon the mess I'm about to make :) ...

Good post Ed. I guess if you dominate, there just isn't much you can do. Are you bored enough to try the current F1 (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1) and old F1 (10,6,4,3,2,1) point systems?

Wally
11-05-07, 12:11 PM
Why is Vegas gone, can't find enough used tires in the next three months?

I smell a rat....:shakehead

FTG
11-05-07, 12:22 PM
I would dare say there is absolutely no room for a jacktard like PG.

Back of the grid is fine: especially since we need every car.

stroker
11-05-07, 12:22 PM
I thought Vegas was a pretty good venue for a street course. I didn't like it as much as Denver, but if they can't get back this year then I think they should really try to get back there when the series is in better financial health. Denver, too, for that matter.

Ed_Severson
11-05-07, 12:48 PM
Are you bored enough to try the current F1 (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1) and old F1 (10,6,4,3,2,1) point systems?

Apparently so, but don't press your luck with a request for a NASCAR-style system. :p

With either of the F1 points scales, Bourdais would have clinched after Assen -- he would have had a 21 point lead with 20 points available (2 races @ 10 points per race) under the current system, and would have had a 27 point lead with 20 available with the old system.

Through Australia (current F1 points):

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/msarmbrester/newf1points.jpg

Through Australia (old F1 points):

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/msarmbrester/oldf1points.jpg

Obviously, the current Champ Car system is the most forgiving -- in other words, it does more to mitigate the effects of one driver dominating than any of the other points scales do. Personally, I thought the CART system was great -- points were awarded to slightly under half the field, the gap between 1st and 2nd was significant but not Draconian like the old F1 system, and the bonus points for pole and most laps led added something to the events.

pchall
11-05-07, 01:07 PM
Good post Ed. I guess if you dominate, there just isn't much you can do. Are you bored enough to try the current F1 (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1) and old F1 (10,6,4,3,2,1) point systems?

How about the even older 9,6,4,3,2,1 system or even the original 8,6,4,3,2,1 with 1 pt. for fastest race lap?

Gangrel
11-05-07, 01:13 PM
Personally, I thought the CART system was great -- points were awarded to slightly under half the field, the gap between 1st and 2nd was significant but not Draconian like the old F1 system, and the bonus points for pole and most laps led added something to the events.

Bonus points for pole and for fastest race lap. ;)

Insomniac
11-05-07, 01:32 PM
Apparently so, but don't press your luck with a request for a NASCAR-style system. :p

With either of the F1 points scales, Bourdais would have clinched after Assen -- he would have had a 21 point lead with 20 points available (2 races @ 10 points per race) under the current system, and would have had a 27 point lead with 20 available with the old system.

Obviously, the current Champ Car system is the most forgiving -- in other words, it does more to mitigate the effects of one driver dominating than any of the other points scales do. Personally, I thought the CART system was great -- points were awarded to slightly under half the field, the gap between 1st and 2nd was significant but not Draconian like the old F1 system, and the bonus points for pole and most laps led added something to the events.

Well, Bourdais is going to be gone, so that may make it a bit tighter. :)

I also like the old point system. It doesn't seem right to give points to the entire field, or really, to have a system that gives points to more positions than actually compete.

Having a cut-off on points gives some incentive to try and get into that range.

Ed_Severson
11-05-07, 02:16 PM
Bonus points for pole and for fastest race lap. ;)

Nope. From the 2001 rulebook:

7.1 SELECTION OF CHAMPION
After the conclusion of the racing season a FedEx Championship Series Champion shall be declared based on the total number of points earned during the racing season. Points shall be awarded to drivers based on the position that a race car finished in a competition as follows:

<snip>Points Table</snip>

In addition, one (1) point will be awarded to the fastest qualifier. This point will be awarded at the conclusion of qualifying and is not contingent on the position of the entrant in the starting line-up. This point will not be awarded in cases where the pole position is not earned pursuant to Chapter 5. One (1) point will also be awarded to the driver that leads the most laps. In the event of a tie, the driver with the highest finishing position will be awarded this point.

I also like the old point system. It doesn't seem right to give points to the entire field, or really, to have a system that gives points to more positions than actually compete.

Having a cut-off on points gives some incentive to try and get into that range.

I sort of agree with you there, but with small fields, there's a need on the sanctioning body's part to keep as many cars on the track as possible. Awarding points throughout the field is the best way to give the teams some incentive to keep running even when they have no hope of winning.

Gnam
11-05-07, 02:27 PM
Every year I think "maybe this year..."

jono

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3554/charliebrownlucyfootbalwg4.jpg

I can give this schedule two thumbs up:
Laguna Seca :thumbup:
No attempt at China/Korea :thumbup:

Mike Lawler
11-05-07, 02:52 PM
I can give this schedule two thumbs up:
Laguna Seca :thumbup:
No attempt at China/Korea :thumbs up

As reported in this morning's Orgonian. Champ car to return to Portland in '08. Date of Race scheduled for July 27th, 2008.

jonovision_man
11-05-07, 04:16 PM
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3554/charliebrownlucyfootbalwg4.jpg

^^^ perfect. :rofl:

jono

Gnam
11-05-07, 04:27 PM
from ChampCar's press release: link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=12326)

The schedule is pending ACCUS/FIA approval.

What happened to not making an announcement before everything was nailed down? Did the FIA give Champcar an unofficial OK?

cameraman
11-05-07, 04:42 PM
The Atlantic series will race at Miller Motorsports Park in support of the Grand Am Sunchaser 1000. That will be nice to see.

Spicoli
11-05-07, 04:57 PM
The Atlantic series will race at Miller Motorsports Park in support of the Grand Am Sunchaser 1000. That will be nice to see.

I assume you mean the ATL aspect. ;)

Maybe I can get a ride down with O'Gorman. :laugh:

Mike Lawler
11-05-07, 05:02 PM
What happened to not making an announcement before everything was nailed down? Did the FIA give Champcar an unofficial OK?

simply visiting the track web sites for such, here is Portland's

http://www.globaleventsgrouppdx.com/champ_car/index.html

cameraman
11-05-07, 05:10 PM
Actually I got that wrong. The Sunchaser 1000 is on Saturday, the Atlantics race is on Sunday paired with Koni Challenge. I would not be surprised to see the final race of the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires (FRMCMCPBFGT for short:gomer:) on the same weekend. It is an 8 race Mustang FR500S series, "each race weekend will include two 30-minute practice sessions, a 25-minute qualifying session and a 45-minute race." Larry Miller is a Mustang fanatic and he is pushing the series.

miatanut
11-05-07, 07:03 PM
simply visiting the track web sites for such, here is Portland's

http://www.globaleventsgrouppdx.com/champ_car/index.html

Still with Global? Will they ever learn?

Mike Lawler
11-05-07, 07:32 PM
Still with Global? Will they ever learn?

I am with you on this one. Global was taken to task several years ago to get its act together, but as I see it nothing has changed.
At least we have one more "West Coast" race.