PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne GP costs.

emjaya
10-31-07, 04:58 PM
THE Formula 1 Grand Prix is in danger of being dumped by the Victorian Government because of soaring costs.

Link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22683948-29277,00.html)

It costs $78 million to put on. I'm not sure, but I think that's twice what the QLD gov pays to put on Surfers, and Surfers gets bigger crowds. ;)

Robstar
10-31-07, 09:21 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about ticket prices which are not cheap... But I'm still going to go... :thumbup:

jonovision_man
11-01-07, 05:22 PM
Link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22683948-29277,00.html)

It costs $78 million to put on. I'm not sure, but I think that's twice what the QLD gov pays to put on Surfers, and Surfers gets bigger crowds. ;)

I'll bet F1 gets more international visitors, though, and obviously it reaches a bigger worldwide audience.

jono

mapguy
11-01-07, 09:11 PM
and obviously it reaches a bigger worldwide audience.

jono

That benefits one person and one person only. Bernie.

BTW. WGAF about 'more international visitors'. Doesn't matter if they are from Fargo, North Dakota or Wagga Wagga. Money is money.

NismoZ
11-02-07, 01:34 PM
Yup...F-1 has approached Surfers organizers who say "Anything Melbourne does we can do better." They are seriously worried about CC survival and are even considering A1GP as a replacement if they can't afford Bernie.:rolleyes: This kind of talk started way last May and is heating up.

Ankf00
11-02-07, 02:03 PM
I'll bet F1 gets more international visitors, though, and obviously it reaches a bigger worldwide audience. tax collectors look at one's receipts, not passport

jonovision_man
11-02-07, 05:53 PM
That benefits one person and one person only. Bernie.

BTW. WGAF about 'more international visitors'. Doesn't matter if they are from Fargo, North Dakota or Wagga Wagga. Money is money.

:rolleyes:

The government "GAF". Their goal isn't to make money promoting races, it's all about bringing tourism and business to the region. These international events promote the city and the area. International visitors stay in hotels, fly Australian airlines, rent cars, etc etc et... they spend FAR more money than local attendees.

jono

mapguy
11-02-07, 07:39 PM
:rolleyes:

The government "GAF". Their goal isn't to make money promoting races, it's all about bringing tourism and business to the region. These international events promote the city and the area. International visitors stay in hotels, fly Australian airlines, rent cars, etc etc et... they spend FAR more money than local attendees.

jono

Please see ank's post above. Money is money. Doesn't matter if it comes from a suburb of Surfer's or Timbuktoo.

jonovision_man
11-03-07, 07:37 AM
Please see ank's post above. Money is money. Doesn't matter if it comes from a suburb of Surfer's or Timbuktoo.

- More money comes from international visitors

- It's money that wouldn't have otherwise gone into the local economy, unlike local money which likely would have

- The exposure on TV to hundreds of millions of people raises the profile of the city internationally, making it more likely that even more people will visit

jono

mapguy
11-03-07, 08:29 PM
- More money comes from international visitors

- It's money that wouldn't have otherwise gone into the local economy, unlike local money which likely would have

- The exposure on TV to hundreds of millions of people raises the profile of the city internationally, making it more likely that even more people will visit

jono

You still don't get it. For example. Let's use the Toronto race. 10 years ago, when I was living in Courtice, I rented a room and bought tickets, food and all that stuff. What difference does it make when you come from 30 miles away or 3000? Like I said, dollars are dollars.

emjaya
11-04-07, 01:59 AM
You still don't get it. For example. Let's use the Toronto race. 10 years ago, when I was living in Courtice, I rented a room and bought tickets, food and all that stuff. What difference does it make when you come from 30 miles away or 3000? Like I said, dollars are dollars.

Jono is right.

You are spending Canadian dollars that you would have spent in Canada anyway, whereas I will bring Australian dollars to spend.

I am taking money away from Australia and giving it to Canada adding to Canada's wealth. And vise-versa if you come here.

It probably works on state basis too, the Gold Coast is packed with Southerners during Indy and Queenslanders go down to Victoria to the GP.

jonovision_man
11-04-07, 07:27 AM
^^^ what emjaya said.

If you hadn't gone to the race, you would have done something else with that money, likely in Ontario since you live in Courtice.

Tourism is coveted precisely because it is net new money to the economy.

jono

NismoZ
11-04-07, 03:33 PM
And to get back to a main thought, foreign F-1 dollars are likely to trump foreign CC $$, but at a much higher cost? Wasn't that a reason years ago when Long Beach decided they could make more money by spending less on CC than by spending more to keep F-1? I say Queensland would love to get F-1 but they aren't going to be willing to meet BE's demands and will settle for the next best thing to partner with the Supercars whether that be CC, A1, or anything else without fenders. Maybe:D

jonovision_man
11-04-07, 05:19 PM
And to get back to a main thought, foreign F-1 dollars are likely to trump foreign CC $$, but at a much higher cost? Wasn't that a reason years ago when Long Beach decided they could make more money by spending less on CC than by spending more to keep F-1?

F1 ain't cheap, there are a lot of countries that want it and have bid up the price of a race to the stratosphere. Is it still worth it? I don't know... countries still think spending billions on the Olympics is worth it for the international guests and exposure, so maybe it is.

I just look at Montreal's international reputation compared to Toronto's, and between Expo, the Olympics, and the F1 race they have managed to keep that profile while Toronto never really has. It all has an impact, tough to quantify what that is worth to a city though.

jono

oddlycalm
11-04-07, 10:00 PM
More post-tobacco reality setting in I think. On the other hand, raising the profile of a city or country has it's cost. Last I looked international TV advertising campaigns weren't cheap either. If you want the high profile you need to put on high profile events.

A fair question might be whether or not an F1 race remains a high profile international event I suppose. Particularly if attendance is falling.

oc

emjaya
11-07-07, 05:12 PM
Now they are getting desperate. :rolleyes:

ORGANISERS of Melbourne's Formula One Grand Prix are considering secret plans to shift the race to Flemington Racecourse....

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22719591-29277,00.html

Flemington has just had a huge refurbishment; spending more money to accomodate F1 cars is not going to happen. :shakehead

cameraman
11-07-07, 05:20 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22719591-29277,00.html

Flemington has just had a huge refurbishment, spending more money to accomodate F1 cars is not going to happen. :shakehead

Far more important is the chopstick bra story on the same page
http://video.news.com.au/videoplayer?Channel=World+News&ClipId=902036&bitrate=300&Format=wmp

NismoZ
11-07-07, 06:46 PM
The general manager of the Surfers event says it would cost 10-15X more to satisfy BE's greed there...so don't look for it to happen. Surfers (like Cleveland, new 5 yr. deal) will be one of the original mergertracks!:D

emjaya
11-13-07, 04:54 PM
LEGENDARY American band Kiss will set tongues wagging when they rock the 2008 Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne next March.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22752988-29277,00.html

:saywhat: :yuck: :shakehead

Cam
11-13-07, 06:34 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22752988-29277,00.html

:saywhat: :yuck: :shakehead

I'll make a specific point of making sure I miss that. :rolleyes:

opinionated ow
11-14-07, 04:44 AM
Gonna cost them more this year too. They are forking out a crapload for VESA to come. If rumours are to be believed, F3 will be kicked out for undernourished formula ford grids because of bloody VESA's demands.