PDA

View Full Version : PC to TV

Pages : [1] 2

Spicoli
10-29-07, 09:58 PM
So, this is pleasant. :mad:

I am trying to connect my PC to my soon-to-be-bought JVC TV http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=6DEF0BAB76784AFC8D53009238F6 4130&ProductID=18820 . And a Bose 321 system http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=6DEF0BAB76784AFC8D53009238F6 4130&ProductID=10219 , so I can watch stuff and listen to it really loud in my new kitchen. It has to go about 20 feet to connect. According to Velocity Micro (:thumbup: ) techs my PC has to have a Video Card upgrade http://www.cesell.com/product.php?productid=138967 but the new TVs all have HDMI inputs only? My understanding is that HDMI is replacing DVI but evidently they do NOT make a HDMI output video card for PCs yet? WTF?

All I wanna do is play videos from my PC on my new TV Bose 321 system!

:arrrgggh:

Anybody shed some light on this? :D please? Don;t make me take this box to Best Buy.

extramundane
10-29-07, 10:03 PM
According to Velocity Micro (:thumbup: ) techs my PC has to have a Video Card upgrade http://www.cesell.com/product.php?productid=138967 but the new TVs all have HDMI inputs only? My understanding is that HDMI is replacing DVI but evidently they do NOT make a HDMI output video card for PCs yet? WTF?

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable for about $20. Seems like the easiest solution to me.

Sean Malone
10-29-07, 10:03 PM
Click. Click.

link
(http://cables.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CARA&Category_Code=DVIHDMI)

Spicoli
10-29-07, 10:26 PM
OK. :D

16 feet of that stuff adds up: 16 feet = $69. :eek:

Also - is that video card what i need? anything cheaper? Its $167.50.

Also - wouldn;t DVI to HDVI not include audio? Meaning that i would have to run a separate audio line as well?

thanks in advance amigos.:thumbup:

Insomniac
10-29-07, 10:35 PM

Also - wouldn;t DVI to HDVI not include audio? Meaning that i would have to run a separate audio line as well?

You would need to run separate audio. Also, isn't your PC around 1 year old? I'd expect your video card has DVI if it's only a year old. Most mid-range cards had dual display support and 1 was at least DVI.

Another source for quality cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102&p_id=2121&seq=1&format=2

Spicoli
10-29-07, 10:40 PM
You would need to run separate audio. Also, isn't your PC around 1 year old? I'd expect your video card has DVI if it's only a year old. Most mid-range cards had dual display support and 1 was at least DVI.

Another source for quality cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102&p_id=2121&seq=1&format=2

thanks. i o u a beer. :chug:

but alas, no dvi port on my pc. so i gotsta buy a video card, right? i mean, that's what velocity micro tolded me. :(

Insomniac
10-29-07, 11:39 PM
thanks. i o u a beer. :chug:

but alas, no dvi port on my pc. so i gotsta buy a video card, right? i mean, that's what velocity micro tolded me. :(

Do you know what video card came with your PC? A DVI connector would look like:

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cableconnect/05disp_video/03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

You can also go to Start->Run... and type in "dxdiag" (no quotes) and hit OK. The Display tab should tell you what video card you have (the Device).

There are cheaper cards with DVI. It really depends on your needs.

ATI Radeon Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106792278&name=Radeon+HD+2000+series)
nVidia GeForce Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106791921&name=GeForce+8+series)

Note that I'm not saying buy that card. Would need to know more about your system and needs. Just saying there are cheaper ones with DVI.

Insomniac
10-29-07, 11:57 PM
Going back to your original thread, it looks like you have integrated video.

Motherboard Genuine IntelĀ® G965 ATX Motherboard
PCX Video IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000

You're going to need a video card. Good news is that $40 ATI card will perform better than what you have right now. Plus add HD video playback acceleration to boot.

Sean Malone
10-30-07, 08:15 AM

Dude, I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 dollars invested just in cables for my home theater system (and it's a simple system). Look on the AV forums and there are systems where the cables alone cost $5000. When you get quality, high end cables, the cost adds up incredibly quick.

Stu
10-30-07, 10:57 AM
first, figure out exactly what you want your PC to display on your TV...HDTV, HD DVR, HD DVD's, Blu Rays, Downloaded Video, h264, streaming video, etc.

Then read here for what you need and if your PC can handle it...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/

Then go to newegg.com and buy the equipment you need, and monoprice.com to fill your cable needs.

KLang
10-30-07, 11:33 AM
Wow, I'm surprised nobody has given him grief yet for blowing a grand on Bose. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
10-30-07, 12:04 PM
:laugh:

extramundane
10-30-07, 12:17 PM
first, figure out exactly what you want your PC to display on your TV...HDTV, HD DVR, HD DVD's, Blu Rays, Downloaded Video, h264, streaming video, etc.

Then read here for what you need and if your PC can handle it...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/

Then go to newegg.com and buy the equipment you need, and monoprice.com to fill your cable needs.

Seems like an awful lot of work just to look at Smackforum Boobiez on the big screen...

Sean Malone
10-30-07, 12:40 PM
Seems like an awful lot of work just to look at Smackforum Boobiez on the big screen...

But oh so worth it!:cool:

Spicoli
10-30-07, 01:37 PM
Wow, I'm surprised nobody has given him grief yet for blowing a grand on Bose. :laugh:

OK Mr. Smartypants, what would you buy instead?

extramundane
10-30-07, 01:54 PM

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1524/ghettoblaster0512160354fx7.jpg

Insomniac
10-30-07, 02:04 PM

I don't think anyone really wants to get into it unless people ask for advice on what to buy.

Stu
10-30-07, 02:36 PM

a real surround sound system that sounds twice as good for half the price.

Sean O'Gorman
10-30-07, 03:36 PM
I would rather have seven tin cans connected to the receiver with string over Bose speakers.

KLang
10-30-07, 04:12 PM

:p

Buy whatever makes you happy. :D

nissan gtp
10-30-07, 05:09 PM
they call it Blose for a reason. :yuck:

G.
10-30-07, 05:13 PM
Wow, I'm surprised nobody has given him grief yet for blowing a grand on Bose. :laugh:Exactly what I thought, and I am FAR FAR FAR from an audiophile.:rofl:

But hey, maybe they've gotten better. And I have heard good sound from Bose (re-read my first sentence. Again.).

Spicoli
10-30-07, 09:08 PM
I would rather have seven tin cans connected to the receiver with string over Bose speakers.

Well that settles it - I'm going for the bose321

Thanks Mr. MR2 :gomer:

Seriously - ya'll should check it out. Very good sound, clean design, etc...

G.
10-30-07, 09:10 PM
Seriously - ya'll should check it out. Very good sound, clean design, etc...

Grasp.

Pull pin.

Throw!
:rofl:

Might wanna start a new thread on this one...

Spicoli
10-30-07, 09:11 PM
Grasp.

Pull pin.

Throw!
:rofl:

Might wanna start a new thread on this one...

I like this thread. :thumbup: Lotsa good info - thanks everyone.:)

Spicoli
10-31-07, 07:40 AM
a real surround sound system that sounds twice as good for half the price.

Advice me on what you would look at. i'm an open book. just really liked the bose 321 system.

Stu
10-31-07, 09:57 AM
are you dead set on a stereo system, or can you get away with 5.1 or 7.1?

Spicoli
10-31-07, 10:35 AM
are you dead set on a stereo system, or can you get away with 5.1 or 7.1?

Clutter = hate.

5.1 and 7.1 = wires, mounts, etc etc. What appeals to me with the bose is this:

http://i3.tinypic.com/4xxwhux.jpg

ends up looking like:

http://i19.tinypic.com/6cqtmw6.jpg

The kitchen its going in is 22 x 22 with 2 islands, bar, wall of cabs, etc...anyway - it seems to fit best to me. I'm not gaming, just entertaining - music, sports, videos, etc....

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 12:40 PM
i don't know crapola about indoor audio, but I know that if you're getting a new tv don't go smaller than 50 inches unless you have to. Just got a new Panasonic 50 Plasma and after comparing it to friends 42's it just is in another realm. 8 hypotenudal inches makes a HUGE difference. If you can fit at least a 50, I'd go with that. I prefer looking at my living room and thinking, 'oh god, that's too big,' then 'crap this 42 inch is wank.' Just imagine how much better Notre Dame losses in HD will look. It'll be like you're right there in South Bend.

Sean Malone
10-31-07, 12:46 PM
i don't know crapola about indoor audio, but I know that if you're getting a new tv don't go smaller than 50 inches unless you have to. Just got a new Panasonic 50 Plasma and after comparing it to friends 42's it just is in another realm. 8 hypotenudal inches makes a HUGE difference. If you can fit at least a 50, I'd go with that. I prefer looking at my living room and thinking, 'oh god, that's too big,' then 'crap this 42 inch is wank.' Just imagine how much better Notre Dame losses in HD will look. It'll be like you're right there in South Bend.

Agreed and with prices falling daily. A co-worker told me Sam's Club has 52" no name Korean plasma's for under a grand.
HDTV's are like boats, every year you want a bigger one.

Stu
10-31-07, 03:42 PM
The kitchen its going in is 22 x 22 with 2 islands, bar, wall of cabs, etc...anyway - it seems to fit best to me. I'm not gaming, just entertaining - music, sports, videos, etc....

well i dont have time to do any research right now, but if you are installing this in a kitchen, you should consider 2 things.

1. that bose system is designed to be a "surround sound system" using only 2 speakers and a sub. while there is some validity to a surround sound environment from stereo, it would only apply to the one person sitting in the sweet spot. since you are entertaining with groups of people, you should just go for a standard stereo format.

2. can you flush mount the speakers in the wall? can you flush mount the receiver/other equipment, or keep that stuff in a cabinet/closet/etc?

Stu
10-31-07, 03:44 PM
also, i just noticed the tv you want is 720p. if you want to hook up a pc, you should consider finding a 1080p tv.

the higher resolution makes a huge difference.

for those that may not know, 720p = 1280x720, and 1080p = 1920x1080.

Spicoli
10-31-07, 04:17 PM
you people make me look stupid.

happy holoween! :wave:

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 06:14 PM
Agreed and with prices falling daily. A co-worker told me Sam's Club has 52" no name Korean plasma's for under a grand.
HDTV's are like boats, every year you want a bigger one.

a friend works at circuit city. I gave him $1500 and got my 50inch Panasonic, he got an employee only $700 mail in rebate. So for $800 I got 50 inches of viewing pleasure. I couldn't believe such a mail in was even an option, but I didn't complain when he handed me $700 back.

For the record, I gave him $200 for his troubles, so all in I paid $1k. Not bad.

When the 56" 1080i's get the same deal, I'm hitting that up and selling the 50" back to him.

He says I can get an awesome stereo system for my car for $200 with his discounts. Subwoofers and all. But I declined, did that in high school in my Audi, kinda have moved on since then. :laugh:

Ankf00
10-31-07, 06:19 PM
27" no-name korean wal-mart special from college ftw :cool:

the inability to completely read the ESPN ticker at the bottom, and the 1-2 degree rotational tilt just adds to its character and all around awesomeness

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 06:20 PM
27" no-name korean wal-mart special from college ftw :cool:

how much? plasma? lcd? hd? are these wally world tv's any good?

answer: you just edited, that sux. how much was it?

Ankf00
10-31-07, 06:27 PM
$150, $200? :laugh:

Spicoli
10-31-07, 06:45 PM
So I can get a 50 incher for less than 1k? :confused:

Bose suckles? :confused:

I'm confusulated. Think I'll drink beer and hand out candy. :gomer:

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 06:57 PM

if you know someone that works at best buy or circuit city, then yes. If not, then no. Unless you know someone or can find a great deal 50's are $1500 and up. But honestly, for the extra couple hundred it is worth it. Cut some money out of the stereo and put it toward the tv. I prefer plasma, but I believe I may be one of the few. I have the same life span on my tv as LCD's, but many still remember the early plasma's that didn't last long. For sports Plasma keeps up with the camera better and blurs less. I compared, and shopped around and it just worked out.

Stu
10-31-07, 06:57 PM

Bose suckles? :confused:

I'm confusulated. Think I'll drink beer and hand out candy. :gomer:

with the money you save from the buy a cheaper and better sound system, you can get a better tv.

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 07:00 PM
^^^zacktly.

here's a linky with some info.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-sound-buying-guide/

ferrarigod
10-31-07, 07:05 PM
^^^zacktly.

here's a linky with some info.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-sound-buying-guide/

i don't know much about home stereo myself, but I don't like Sony. Sony car stereos are horrible, everyone I know with one has had huge issues, and the Sony Wega surround doesn't sound too good and I had a friend with receiver troubles with it(don't know if they even make those still).

Onkyo seems to be suggested by c-net. but click on some links, they always have some good info. take the customer reviews with a grain of salt unless there is a major trend one way or the other. companies often plant opinions of their equipment all over cnet and other places I've frequented.

Stu
10-31-07, 07:27 PM
since its for the kitchen, i think he needs a stereo system, and not surround sound.

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-07, 07:34 PM
Wait, Spicoli needs a 50" TV for his kitchen? Even Stu hasn't done that, and he has had a 32" HD next to his 61" HD so that we can see our fantasy football scores while watching the Browns game. :thumbup:

Spicoli
10-31-07, 07:50 PM
Wait, Spicoli needs a 50" TV for his kitchen?

Its just that big, son.

Sean Malone
10-31-07, 08:35 PM
Its just that big, son.

Then cough up the coins and get a Sony. They got more inputs than **** ******. :D

Srsly.

Insomniac
10-31-07, 08:51 PM
also, i just noticed the tv you want is 720p. if you want to hook up a pc, you should consider finding a 1080p tv.

the higher resolution makes a huge difference.

for those that may not know, 720p = 1280x720, and 1080p = 1920x1080.

I disagree with that. It makes a huge difference if you are real close and using it for a PC display, not playing back video.

Insomniac
10-31-07, 08:55 PM
Then cough up the coins and get a Sony. They got more inputs than **** ******. :D

Srsly.

I want to spend Spicoli's money! Get a Pioneer (Regular or Elite) Plasma.

Stu
10-31-07, 10:58 PM
I disagree with that. It makes a huge difference if you are real close and using it for a PC display, not playing back video.

even if you are just using it for video, there will be times where you will need to see text.

might as well future proof yourself and go for 1080p, especially with the prices of sets coming down like they are.

Ankf00
11-01-07, 11:59 AM
50" sanyo for 1G at walmart on Friday

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=Walmartcom&utm_medium=POV1&utm_content=secret1&utm_campaign=holiday&povid=cat14503-env15844-module117144-lLink1

Insomniac
11-01-07, 01:16 PM
even if you are just using it for video, there will be times where you will need to see text.

might as well future proof yourself and go for 1080p, especially with the prices of sets coming down like they are.

I think there are way too many factors that go into a HDTV to easily make the determination between 720 and 1080. I will agree all other things being equal, you might as well get the 1080 over 720, but it's not free.

Insomniac
11-01-07, 01:17 PM
50" sanyo for 1G at walmart on Friday

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=Walmartcom&utm_medium=POV1&utm_content=secret1&utm_campaign=holiday&povid=cat14503-env15844-module117144-lLink1

And a $100 HD-DVD player!

Ankf00
11-02-07, 01:20 PM
so how many of you waited in line at walmart this morning?

KLang
11-02-07, 02:39 PM

What do think, maybe two per store? :laugh:

As soon as a reasonably priced HD/Blueray combo player comes out I'll make the plunge.

Sean Malone
11-02-07, 02:49 PM

As soon as a reasonably priced HD/Blueray combo player comes out I'll make the plunge.

I made that mistake a few years ago. Not being a WalMart shopper I didn't know what to expect. They were having a $499 Dell laptop, day after t-day sale (plus a bunch of other sales. My wife and I thought that would be an inexpensive solution for our teen. My mom said "you have to get there about 4 in the morning". The doors open at 7:00am. We took her word and got there at 4 only to find a line about four blocks long wrapped throughout the parking lot. Like fools we waited and plowed through the doors with the other 2000 people. Bee line to the PC area only to find out you had to have a reservation ticket that you got in advance and there was only 100 offered. There were so many people and so much confusion it was like a bad dream. I've never been back to a WalMart. They freak me out.

Ankf00
11-02-07, 03:05 PM
no idea, but way too many people are crazy enough to wait for it, and you know some of them have to post here :D

Insomniac
11-02-07, 03:19 PM

Walked in at 8, they put them out, I took one and checked out. No lines, no hassles.

I need to order an HDMI cable now, and will really see the benefit when my TV is replaced.

I was going to wait until 2009 for a <$200 combo player, but I figure with the 5 free HD-DVDs and I sold my old 5-Disc player for $75 last year, what the heck.

Insomniac
11-02-07, 03:21 PM

My store put them out at 8 and they had 17 I think. They didn't even sell them at any time before today.

Ankf00
11-02-07, 03:24 PM
whoa, sweet. :thumbup:

chop456
11-02-07, 06:50 PM
I got one at 10:17. :gomer:

If you're one of the people that got one, dig on THIS. (http://assets.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/hddvd/Xbox360_HDDVDOffer.pdf) :thumbup:

Insomniac
11-02-07, 08:40 PM
Some people were getting ones with an HDMI cable included. I called my store 2 hours ago and they had one left.

Spicoli
11-19-07, 10:05 PM
OK.

So my wall is built, everything is purchased and sitting in the boxes ready to go.

So I am thinking about what it is I want to accomplish, and its really this: Being able to play music/"live" recorded music/music videos/sports/etc and I still have a couple questions for the technophiles:

Is there any "Easy" way to save music videos from youtube (seems to be the biggest resource) and then compose playlists in WMP or Itunes and play them back? Or am I better off just ripping DVDs (purchased/library/etc) to my harddrive and going that route? Youtube seems to have everything you could want music wise when it comes to video, but my research comes up blank on anything easy to use to convert them.

Sean Malone
11-19-07, 10:51 PM
OK.

So my wall is built, everything is purchased and sitting in the boxes ready to go.

So I am thinking about what it is I want to accomplish, and its really this: Being able to play music/"live" recorded music/music videos/sports/etc and I still have a couple questions for the technophiles:

Is there any "Easy" way to save music videos from youtube (seems to be the biggest resource) and then compose playlists in WMP or Itunes and play them back? Or am I better off just ripping DVDs (purchased/library/etc) to my harddrive and going that route? Youtube seems to have everything you could want music wise when it comes to video, but my research comes up blank on anything easy to use to convert them.

YouTube as a music download resource? Not if you at the least bet concerned of the quality. Firefox has a YouTube snagger extension. There are probably numerous ones now, it's been a year or two since I last looked or cared.

have you seen a 160 pixel video streched onto a 50" TV? :)

Spicoli
11-19-07, 10:55 PM
YouTube as a music download resource? Not if you at the least bet concerned of the quality. Firefox has a YouTube snagger extension. There are probably numerous ones now, it's been a year or two since I last looked or cared.

have you seen a 160 pixel video streched onto a 50" TV? :)

that bad, huh? :p

me < technology

So why the **** am i connecting my PC to me Teebee.:saywhat:

Sean Malone
11-19-07, 10:59 PM

me < technology

[geek mode] It's cool to play PC games on your HDTV, oh, and your pr8n is bigger.[/geek mode].

Stu
11-20-07, 08:11 AM

me < technology

well if you are willing to download stuff off of youtube, you dont seem to care too much about copyrights.

so if you dont care about that, start doing research on torrents/newsgroups and start renting cd's, dvd's, hddvd's, and bluray's and rip them to your hard drive.

RusH
11-20-07, 08:37 AM
well if you are willing to download stuff off of youtube, you dont seem to care too much about copyrights.

so if you dont care about that, start doing research on torrents/newsgroups and start renting cd's, dvd's, hddvd's, and bluray's and rip them to your hard drive.

yup, for me Usenet rulz, torrents are the beggars system.
Grabit (http://www.shemes.com/) :thumbup:
Also get Slysoft.

I realized that after I made the comment about watching the new Bourne Ultimatum DVD it was not out until next month. :rofl:

As far as live TV goes, unless you are hooking up the cable to the PC.... online you can google
JLC`s internet TV
TVU Player
Sopcast

You can can only save Youtubes as low quality flash files.

KLang
11-20-07, 10:21 AM
Spicoli, since your wife is a judge, you may want to check into how much of this stuff is actually legal. I suspect most is not.

Ankf00
11-20-07, 11:33 AM
bit torrent and limewire are completely legal.

Insomniac
11-20-07, 12:15 PM

:confused: How is saving a video from youtube copyright infringement? Are you talking about stuff on there that is copyright infringement in the first place?

KLang
11-20-07, 12:24 PM
bit torrent and limewire are completely legal.

I have never really looked into this stuff as I prefer to pay for content but the wiki entry for BitTorrent disagrees with you about the legality.

Ankf00
11-20-07, 12:28 PM
the wiki entry doesn't disagree with anything. bit torrent's as illegal as writeable CDs are.

KLang
11-20-07, 01:05 PM
the wiki entry doesn't disagree with anything. bit torrent's as illegal as writeable CDs are.

Are you just arguing semantics? :shakehead

Sure the protocol is legal but if the material being downloaded is copywrited and is being distributed without permission then the download is not legal.

Insomniac
11-20-07, 01:10 PM

Sure the protocol is legal but if the material being downloaded is copywrited and is being distributed without permission then the download is not legal.

That's not semantics. You made an assumption about what was being downloaded.

On a related note, is it illegal to download a CD you own? For example, I have a couple Red Hot Chili Pepper CDs in a box somewhere. I don't feel like finding them and ripping them. Yahoo! Music doesn't have the tracks for download (only to buy). Could the RIAA win that case?

Ankf00
11-20-07, 01:16 PM

I figure an avid fox news viewer would be all about the personal responsibility aspect of it, guess I figured wrong :gomer:

My friends and I have shared plenty of legal contect w/ bit torrent and p2p, it's a fantastic tool. Guess you should turn your cd writer over to the FBI since it's such an evil enabling contraption, I mean, you could illegally copy movies you rented from Blockbuster! :eek:

p.s.: d/l'ing euro race feeds for events I miss is probably illegal, but since I can't rent/buy it anywhere, screw 'em :D

nrc
11-20-07, 01:25 PM
BitTorrent is perfectly legal, but there are plenty of people being sued for using it to download copyrighted material from illegal sources.

KLang
11-20-07, 01:37 PM
I figure an avid fox news viewer would be all about the personal responsibility aspect of it, guess I figured wrong :gomer:

My friends and I have shared plenty of legal contect w/ bit torrent and p2p, it's a fantastic tool. Guess you should turn your cd writer over to the FBI since it's such an evil enabling contraption, I mean, you could illegally copy movies you rented from Blockbuster! :eek:

p.s.: d/l'ing euro race feeds for events I miss is probably illegal, but since I can't rent/buy it anywhere, screw 'em :D

I watch more CNN then Fox. :p

To copy the content from a DVD doesn't it take an illegal hack to get past the copy protection?

Again I don't do any downloading of stuff. I was merely trying to point out to Spicoli that some of what is available to download is not legal. They do occasionally track down people and sue the heck out of them. Might not look good for the spouse of a judge.

Ankf00
11-20-07, 01:43 PM
To copy the content from a DVD doesn't it take an illegal hack to get past the copy protection? nothing a quick googling can't solve. but thieving stuff is just too much damn effort. PPV is much more in line with my life philosophy of "be as lazy as you can be."

nrc
11-20-07, 01:48 PM
Can't buy or rent it anywhere? What about Race Director?

You don't play stupid very well. You're splitting hairs over the utility of Bit Torrent or writeable CDs when you know that the legal uses of those tools has little or nothing to do with the what was suggested. Playing stupid when you could lead a technical neophyte into a situation that could cost them thousands of dollars and possibly ruin a career is irresponsible.

Ankf00
11-20-07, 02:08 PM
I have a race director subscription, I rarely ever use it since CC is more boring than the NBA these days, but I still have it, and it doesn't show aussie v8's or moto. And it's not like airing copyrighted material from Youtube is legal either. Plenty of bands have shows and such out there for legal download as well.

Spicoli
11-20-07, 02:12 PM
Dear everyone:

Thank you.

Signed:

More confused than ever Spic-Tardio.

{i thought everyone used P2P these days? :confused: }

Sean Malone
11-20-07, 02:43 PM
Dear everyone:

Thank you.

Signed:

More confused than ever Spic-Tardio.

{i thought everyone used P2P these days? :confused: }

Sure, because the Internet is used by millions of people who think "everyone is doing it, it must be ok".

Just remember the old adage, "ignorance is no excuse".

Spicoli
11-20-07, 03:13 PM
Sure, because the Internet is used by millions of people who think "everyone is doing it, it must be ok".

Just remember the old adage, "ignorance is no excuse".

I may be stupid, but I ain;t that stupid.

I used limewire a few times back in the day, but it sucked the last couple times i tried it, which was a couple years ago.

i'm too stupid/lazy/impatient for the other stuff. I have a decent library of music videos, etc, so that will work anyway.

I did, however, figure that people who uploaded live footage of bands on Y-tube were just out there sharing it, which is what i was sort of getting at. but evidently 150 to TV is bad.

I think the solution is for me to continue collecting music DVDs and be happy with that for the time being.

Sean Malone
11-20-07, 03:19 PM

I may be stupid, but I ain;t that stupid.

I used limewire a few times back in the day, but it sucked the last couple times i tried it, which was a couple years ago.

i'm too stupid/lazy/impatient for the other stuff. I have a decent library of music videos, etc, so that will work anyway.

I did, however, figure that people who uploaded live footage of bands on Y-tube were just out there sharing it, which is what i was sort of getting at. but evidently 150 to TV is bad.

I think the solution is for me to continue collecting music DVDs and be happy with that for the time being.

HDNET had your band Coldplay live in concert on last night. You could record it on your DVR and watch it over and over again in all of its high def glory. :)

Insomniac
11-20-07, 03:19 PM
To copy the content from a DVD doesn't it take an illegal hack to get past the copy protection?

Yes, you are violating the DMCA by circumventing the protection, but it also interferes/overlaps with fair use.

Spicoli
11-20-07, 03:42 PM
HDNET had your band Coldplay live in concert on last night. You could record it on your DVR and watch it over and over again in all of its high def glory. :)

Already got a wife, thanks. ;)

cameraman
11-20-07, 03:51 PM

If you get Dishnetwork with that new tv they have an HD channel called rave that is all live music. It is a mixture, some very good, some Celine. http://www.voom.tv/ravehd.html

Nice thing about the Dish DVR is you can now buy an external USB hard drive, (like a 750 GB model) and archive your recordings off of the dvr. They are still encoded and all of that but at least you have much more room.

Spicoli
11-20-07, 04:00 PM
If you get Dishnetwork with that new tv they have an HD channel called rave that is all live music. It is a mixture, some very good, some Celine. http://www.voom.tv/ravehd.html

Nice thing about the Dish DVR is you can now buy an external USB hard drive, (like a 750 GB model) and archive your recordings off of the dvr. They are still encoded and all of that but at least you have much more room.

cool. The other thing is that we are switching to all HD Rec's now, so that would help a bunch i figger. We gots DirectTV, figgers i'd stay with that unless anyone gots anything...

Good, bad, better??/ :confused:

cameraman
11-20-07, 04:11 PM
DirecTV has the NFL & MLB packages, Dish not so much. Dish does have the Big10 network should you care. Beyond that, Dish owns the old voom network which is a couple dozen HD channels of highly variable value. Other than that they are pretty much the same. You do need a wide angle clear view of the southern sky to pick up a strong signal from all three satellites.

Spicoli
11-21-07, 04:15 PM
DirecTV has the NFL & MLB packages, Dish not so much. Dish does have the Big10 network should you care. Beyond that, Dish owns the old voom network which is a couple dozen HD channels of highly variable value. Other than that they are pretty much the same. You do need a wide angle clear view of the southern sky to pick up a strong signal from all three satellites.

Thanks. lookin into it now. :thumbup:

{forgot about VOOM! }

Dayum. Dish wants 90 a mnonth for HD and the RAVE channel (which looks awesome to me)
or am i reading this right????

cameraman
11-21-07, 06:15 PM
Dayum. Dish wants 90 a mnonth for HD and the RAVE channel (which looks awesome to me)
or am i reading this right????

No, I think Rave is part of the dishHD package which is $20 on top of any of the "top" sdtv packages. So add 20 to:
top100 @ $30-
top100+ @ $40-
top200 @ $43-
top250 @ $53-
Everything @90-

So depending on what you choose it would be $50 to $140

Spicoli
11-21-07, 10:45 PM
recheck.

talked to Stephanie the DISH gal and she made me an offer for 50 for 6 mos, 70 after to include:

3 HD/DVR rec's + 250 pack + locals + 70 HDs.

I'm thinking this is the deal.:cool: :thumbup:

Sean Malone
11-21-07, 10:56 PM
recheck.

talked to Stephanie the DISH gal and she made me an offer for 50 for 6 mos, 70 after to include:

Not bad. Sounds a like you get more versus what I'm getting through cable. I have 3 HDDVR's, HDBHO pack, basic HD (about five channels of nuthin') and the rest of the hundreds of crap basic cable channels, plus telephone and internet for $150 a month.

Insomniac
11-21-07, 11:45 PM
Not bad. Sounds a like you get more versus what I'm getting through cable. I have 3 HDDVR's, HDBHO pack, basic HD (about five channels of nuthin') and the rest of the hundreds of crap basic cable channels, plus telephone and internet for $150 a month.

Stupid monopolies. In Boston you can get telephone, cable and high speed internet for $100/mo or less. And it's fast HSI too, like 7/2mbps. Unlimited nationwide calling...

You get jacked everywhere there is no competition.

Sean O'Gorman
11-22-07, 02:03 AM
Sounds about right. My parents have Dish, I think my dad spends $45/month for 4 TVs (2 connected to DVR), locals, and no HD.

cameraman
11-22-07, 04:36 AM
recheck.

About 30 of those HDs are NHL center ice, NBA League pass or ppv.

Spicoli
11-22-07, 11:22 AM
About 30 of those HDs are NHL center ice, NBA League pass or ppv.

LOL.

Spicoli
11-30-07, 04:46 PM
Wow, just having an AWFUL experience with DISH Network and their "Customer support" on the install. ****ing horrible.

Nice reccommendation.:thumdown: :shakehead

cameraman
11-30-07, 05:28 PM
Thankfully that went away after the install. I had forgotten about that experience. I have had problems once since then and the tech support person was US based. Why they torture new clients I have no idea:shakehead

G.
11-30-07, 06:10 PM
I've had 2 installs with dish. First moved in, then new antenna for 4 satellites. No issues whatsoever. Guy shows up on time (early, actually), worked WITH me to get me what I needed, all good. Upgrade guy tried to sell me an HDMI cable from his "personal supply" for $60.00. NFW, so he gave it to me for free.:confused:

Don't get what that scam was (prolly selling my dish's cable, but why give it to me??).

They must not like you.

Let dish know.