PDA

View Full Version : Matos

Andrew Longman
10-26-07, 01:35 PM
The are several good pieces in the current Racer on Atlantics and Matos.

I realized then that there has been zero discussion/speculation here (or in my travels) about where Matos will take the $2 million.

Putting aside the D&G about whether there will even be an 08 season, which may be why there are no rumors about Matos, how about a little silly season speculation?

Has Pagenauld done well enough to keep his seat at Walker or anywhere? I also realized one of the reasons Walker might be grumpy is that Pagenauld won't bring another 2 (really) large next year.

Could Sierra Sierra move up with Matos. That would be cool on a lot of levels.

Matos could move to DCR replacing either Legge, who sadly I think has had her chance, to make it an all Brazilian team, or Bruno who really ought to be picked up by someone more capable and interested in winning. That said his recent string of podiums is encouraging.

Now you never know who will show up with cash but I don't see the following drivers going anywhere:

Clark, Doornbos, Figge, Power, Rahal, Tracy, Wilson (@NHL). If Mexico makes the schedule add Martinez and Dominguez.

That 7-10 possible seats for Matos.

As luck will have it he'll probably wind up at Rocketsport and be out of a job in one year. :shakehead

devilmaster
10-26-07, 02:23 PM
Has Pagenauld done well enough to keep his seat at Walker or anywhere? I also realized one of the reasons Walker might be grumpy is that Pagenauld won't bring another 2 (really) large next year.

If Pagenauld loses his seat, then the 2 Million bonus is a complete failure of a concept.

There aren't many rookies who can enter year 1 and be competitive all the time with the veterans. They need at least a 2nd year before they come into their own. What's the point of the 2 mill bonus if it means you have an Atlantic champion for 1 year then gone?

Perhaps 1 mill per year over 2 years? Or just take that money and find a better way to spend it. I know the 2 mill bonus is good PR for the Atlantic series, but it Pags is gone, then its a failure.

I doubt Sierra Sierra would move up on their own, just make some 'patnership' deal with an existing team... (aka a 2nd car for conquest or something)

Matos will land somewhere. The 2 mill will go somewhere, as every team on the CC grid will take it.

SteveH
10-26-07, 05:46 PM
I think Matos would do quite well in a DP-01. I think its a bit too early to speculate why there's been no discussion regarding him as the season isn't over yet. And if you recall Pagenaud wasn't confirmed until weeks before the first race this year. :irked: I think that Simon has done quite well. I hope to see him stay in his seat. However, I can't see the field automatically making room for one driver each year with the prospects of that driver keeping their seat indefinitely. Even in the days of fully sponsored teams that would have been difficult to achieve.

Sierra Sierra moving up would be very welcome. Not sure if that's in their future, though.

NismoZ
10-26-07, 07:10 PM
Only rumors I've heard had him going to PKV and people wondering how it would look with KK's cash going to KK's team.

nissan gtp
10-26-07, 08:45 PM
If CC is still around next year, Rafa should do well with a good team.

He's a good kid, lots of talent and comes across well on TV. Guys like him are a reasonable way to build the series back up.

opinionated ow
10-29-07, 09:56 AM
If Pagenauld loses his seat, then the 2 Million bonus is a complete failure of a concept.

There aren't many rookies who can enter year 1 and be competitive all the time with the veterans. They need at least a 2nd year before they come into their own. What's the point of the 2 mill bonus if it means you have an Atlantic champion for 1 year then gone?

Perhaps 1 mill per year over 2 years? Or just take that money and find a better way to spend it. I know the 2 mill bonus is good PR for the Atlantic series, but it Pags is gone, then its a failure.

I doubt Sierra Sierra would move up on their own, just make some 'patnership' deal with an existing team... (aka a 2nd car for conquest or something)

Matos will land somewhere. The 2 mill will go somewhere, as every team on the CC grid will take it.
poor old charles zwolsman who is far from rubbish only lasted a season...paying his own way. i don't like simon's chances as i know he has no money. rumour going around is derrick wants to try and give katherine a proper chance in a decent car.

nrc
10-29-07, 03:25 PM
I thought I had mentioned Matos' plans just for the Matos "Hand of Fate" joke.

Anyway, Walker appears to be committed to Power and Pagenaud, and is making third car noises, at least for now.

AUSSIES WANT LEGGE: Team Australia co-owner Derrick Walker says he's after Katherine Legge to drive a possible third team car on the Champ Car circuit in 2008.

Legge, driving this year for Dale Coyne Racing but without a contract for next year, appears interested - Walker and Legge, 16th in the driver standings with two races to go, were seated together at the drivers' breakfast.

"I am trying to persuade Derrick to give me a drive for next year," she said. "I really want to be part of Champ Cars next year because I still have a lot to prove."

Walker said the team is seriously considering a third car next season. Australian Will Power and Simon Pagenaud of France are the other team drivers.
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5izBED5b9Hw5M1pFNyIJOZjZj6d3g