PDA

View Full Version : I can't get into my hotmail at home

JohnHKart
10-25-07, 03:10 PM
Or at work either, but work is because of a filter. I have a Dell computer that is a year and a half old, with WinXP and IE6. I can get to every website, download stuff fine, etc. When I first get home I am able to get into hotmail, but if I close the window and move on to other websites, I then cant get back into hotmail. It either says the page wasn't found, or even stranger, the browser where the address is just scrolls around. Crazy! These problems started a few weeks ago. I installed IE7 and then I couldn't even get on the net at all. I deleted my Norton Firewall, and that helped. Now the problems are back again. Also now the IE is closing with the send or dont send error no matter what site I'm on. Maybe I should try Firefox again (which also didn't work at all a few weeks ago when this started) or reinstall IE 6. Or another option, with the Firewall gone is to reinstall IE7. By the way I hate 7, because the favorites drop down to the right instead of the usual dropping down they always do. I need to sign back up and then run virus protection, because I don't have that either, which is stupid. But that shouldn't stop one site from working right.

John

RusH
10-25-07, 07:58 PM
After you get a stable system again with IE....don`t use it ever again.
Firefox has a very cool add-on called IE tabs, so now sites that need IE..some banking for example can be used with Firefox....even Windows Update!
I have not needed to use IE for anything now for a while thanks to that.:thumbup: Flock is also a Firefox browser, very fast.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

The idea being that since IE is so dependent on the OS, that messing with it...or using it is just pain in the ass.

JohnHKart
10-25-07, 08:43 PM
seems to be working for now. But there's no telling why it didn't work and is working now. Ridiculous. Thanks for the tip though and I will use that if needed.

John

TravelGal
10-25-07, 09:02 PM
This answers the question I was about to post. That is, are the bugs worked out and should I give in and download IE7?

Clearly, no.

What's the name of the mozilla email program? I should probably switch to that and forget IE completely. [sorry for the hijack]

Robstar
10-25-07, 09:11 PM
Thunderbird

TravelGal
10-26-07, 01:54 AM
Thunderbird

I thought that was either a car or a drink.

TY.

I'll look it up.

Robstar
10-26-07, 02:26 AM
It's actually a really cool email client...
I'd use it at work but I have to use Outlook, but I love it at home

KLang
10-26-07, 06:45 AM
I've been using IE7 both at home and work without problems. :gomer:

JohnHKart
10-26-07, 11:40 AM
I ran my Norton one button fix and there were some registry errors and other problems plus ran my anti spyware and that may have fixed the problems. Need to resign up my virus protection this weekend and reinstall the firewall. I'm considering just getting a lap top for web access, so if it fries from being on the net, nothing else is lost.

John

opinionated ow
10-29-07, 09:57 AM
i can't get into hotmail or myspace on firefox. why is this?