PDA

View Full Version : Ten year engine freeze adopted

oddlycalm
10-24-07, 01:28 PM
Customer cars and now a 10yr engine freeze. :thumdown:

10yr engine freeze (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63626)

oc

Spicoli
10-24-07, 01:42 PM
just saw that. does this mean ralfie and jenson will finally be able to contend? :gomer:

and btw - just a random thought - props to RB this year for being the surprise of "the rest"....

Andrew Longman
10-24-07, 01:53 PM
I still don't get this. Why would any manufacturer, except the one currently with the best engine, participate in a series where they are guarenteed not to win for ten years?

And what happens to Mosley's talk of greener technologies, alternative fuels, regenerative braking and BTU caps?

Methanolandbrats
10-24-07, 02:22 PM
Does that mean they freeze the number of cylinders and displacement, but can still develop the internals? If not, WTF is the point of being in F1?

Boatdesigner
10-24-07, 02:43 PM
Does that mean they freeze the number of cylinders and displacement, but can still develop the internals? If not, WTF is the point of being in F1?

I was thinking the same thing myself. Whats the point of expending billions of dollars if your stuck using old technology? Max is such a genius we just can't fathom his wisdom!:shakehead

Andrew Longman
10-24-07, 03:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself. Whats the point of expending billions of dollars if your stuck using old technology?

I suppose so you don't have to spend billions of dollars. But whatever less they spend its not particularly good marketing to highlight your place at the back of the grid.

Better to just give every team a spec engine and let mfrs pay to badge them. Do different than Ford, Chevy, etc paying to put their decals on the CoT.

cameraman
10-24-07, 03:36 PM
Total freeze means that there will be no exceptions for development of certain parts of the engine, as is the case under the current regulations. It is the exact same freeze that was in place this entire season. If you did not notice that a freeze was in place this year, you probably won't notice it next year either.

Methanolandbrats
10-24-07, 03:59 PM
It is the exact same freeze that was in place this entire season. If you did not notice that a freeze was in place this year, you probably won't notice it next year either.
After a few years of running the same mills at the same rpm I'm sure gonna notice it. :yuck:

cameraman
10-24-07, 04:11 PM
I'm more worried about next year's spec ecu than I am whatever bits were limited this year.

DagoFast
10-24-07, 05:00 PM
We might as well face it, racing as most of us knew it, is dead & gone. From here on out its just a make believe illusion designed to separate the masses from their money. :(

TrueBrit
10-24-07, 05:04 PM
So much for the 'pinnacle' of motorsport....

STD
10-24-07, 06:34 PM
It's getting just a bit boring.

Cam
10-24-07, 07:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself. Whats the point of expending billions of dollars if your stuck using old technology? Max is such a genius we just can't fathom his wisdom!:shakehead

May as well call it Cab. Bring back the carbie!!! :thumdown:

Indy
10-24-07, 07:47 PM
We might as well face it, racing as most of us knew it, is dead & gone. From here on out its just a make believe illusion designed to separate the masses from their money. :(

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

pchall
10-24-07, 08:52 PM
What's the point of F1 now? This just seals the deal on the series becoming a Eurasian centered driving championship -- A1GP on steroids.

F1 has been fairly lame since the MP4/8 and FW14 years.

RusH
10-24-07, 09:12 PM
So is LeMans racing the pinnacle of motorsport now? :)

Methanolandbrats
10-24-07, 10:53 PM
So is LeMans racing the pinnacle of motorsport now? :) Might be. Early 90s with IMSA GTP, CART and active F1 cars was probably a high point that will never be equalled. I'm glad I was there.

Sean O'Gorman
10-24-07, 11:57 PM
Yeah, racing blows, we should just all kill ourselves.

chop456
10-25-07, 01:50 AM
its just a make believe illusion
http://voice.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/legend_henning.jpg

Who thinks there will be a net decrease in overall budget/spending? :gomer:

Dirk Diggler
10-25-07, 03:25 AM
Early 90s with IMSA GTP, CART and active F1 cars was probably a high point that will never be equalled. I'm glad I was there.

:thumbup: :(

Dirk Diggler
10-25-07, 03:34 AM
V8's, V10's, V12's...oh my!

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/1993/bra/f1-1993-bra-tm-0101.jpg

Back in the day they would have kicked you square in the nuts for suggesting an engine freeze in F1. And rightly so.

Insomniac
10-25-07, 09:21 AM
I suppose so you don't have to spend billions of dollars. But whatever less they spend its not particularly good marketing to highlight your place at the back of the grid.

The money will just be redirected to the chassis.

eiregosod
10-25-07, 12:28 PM
rumour has it that that Max will see out a 30 year reign as head of the FIA in the newly installed cryogenic chamber.

oddlycalm
10-25-07, 12:39 PM
And what happens to Mosley's talk of greener technologies, alternative fuels, regenerative braking and BTU caps? Ideally, Max would be dropping these stink bombs on his fellow residents of the retirement home rather on F1.

oc

cameraman
10-25-07, 12:42 PM
I don't see how you can totally freeze engine development right now and then change the ECU and remove traction control in the spring. After that how could they add regenerative braking to the mix in a year or so. How the hell could you add regenerative braking if you can't make any changes to the engine? What would you do with that recovered energy if you can't touch the engine? And how could you go to an alternative fuel if you can't touch the engine? These clowns are talking out both sides of their mouths. They won't allow any changes until they allow changes after which they won't allow changes until they change again.:saywhat:

DagoFast
10-25-07, 12:43 PM
Who thinks there will be a net decrease in overall budget/spending? :gomer:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/dagofast/brand_centre.jpg

Oh certainly not me. I expect Ron's current "Brand Centre" will look like a friggen Sao Paulo slum in few short years as the money from engineering budgets flows to bigger, better schmooge palaces.

pchall
10-25-07, 02:12 PM

That's a good motto and/or sig line for a Crapotype fan and conebasher. :)

Sean O'Gorman
10-25-07, 02:34 PM
Whatever, I'm still having fun with racing and you guys aren't. :p

Dirk Diggler
10-25-07, 04:06 PM
Whatever, I'm still having fun with racing and you guys aren't. :p

Oh, if only you knew what you missed...

Warlock!
10-25-07, 04:06 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/1993/bra/f1-1993-bra-tm-0101.jpg

Awesome shot... the millisecond that Mikey runs into Berger to crash out of the second of his first four GsP. :D

Methanolandbrats
10-25-07, 07:19 PM
Please lead by example ;)

jonovision_man
10-25-07, 07:28 PM
So much for the 'pinnacle' of motorsport....

Fortunately for F1, the rest of OW is already dumbed down, so it still shines by comparison.

What I don't get is - why freeze engines? Engine development actually has potential for real-world application in regular cars... unlike aero.

And what happens to the teams who didn't get their engines right before the freeze? :p 10 years of mediocrity?

jono

Methanolandbrats
10-25-07, 07:33 PM
And what happens to the teams who didn't get their engines right before the frezze? :p 10 years of mediocrity?

jono They buy customer cars? It's hard for me to even say "customer car". :yuck:

jonovision_man
10-25-07, 07:36 PM
They buy customer cars? It's hard for me to even say "customer car". :yuck:

Hopefully that proposal is dead... Prodrive is having a tough time getting a commitment to be able to run McLarens.

jono

nissan gtp
10-25-07, 08:37 PM
Awesome shot... the millisecond that Mikey runs into Berger to crash out of the second of his first four GsP. :D

'zackly what I was thinking :rofl:

Boatdesigner
10-25-07, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't they save more money with a motorhome/hospitality freeze?:rolleyes:

Robstar
10-25-07, 09:06 PM
Bring on no traction control I say... :thumbup:

pchall
10-25-07, 09:11 PM
They buy customer cars? It's hard for me to even say "customer car". :yuck:

When I fell in love with F1 it was the "customer car" teams that interested me most.

NismoZ
10-26-07, 12:22 PM
Driver freeze might work. Rotate like musical cars each race. Best aggregate combo wins! Call it The 10 Years Of F-1 and treat it as a single championship. The ultimate endurance race.

Methanolandbrats
10-26-07, 02:07 PM
Now that the 08 schedule is out, I vote for a track freeze before anymore Tilke Crap or street races are added.

oddlycalm
10-26-07, 11:06 PM
When I fell in love with F1 it was the "customer car" teams that interested me most. :D :thumbup:

OW
10-27-07, 07:39 PM
I have this great revolutionary idea for a "green" ...fast...powerful new engine.....

Oh wait I can't present it....

huh?

How about my new invention "rear view mirrors"......
Can't present that either?

ilferrari
10-28-07, 07:16 AM
Any news on retirement with regard to Mosley and Ecclestone? :thumdown: :irked:

cameraman
10-28-07, 01:09 PM
Not going to happen, they are immortal.
Sold their souls and all that...