PDA

View Full Version : Champcar and V8 Supercars at a track near you.

emjaya
10-20-07, 11:13 PM
Story in the Sunday Mail says that Champcar and the V8's may race together at other tracks.

Deal is being put to Kalkhoven by the V8's and explains why Tony Cochrane was in Assen. Craig Gore is all for it, probably his idea.

Tracks they are looking at are Long Beach, Durban and Cape Town in South Africa and Asia.

No link as I can not find anything on the crap Courier Mail/Sunday Mail website about it.

opinionated ow
10-20-07, 11:50 PM
a1gp owns the rights to durban. good luck with that one.

emjaya
10-21-07, 06:00 AM
a1gp owns the rights to durban. good luck with that one.

They own the track? :confused:

opinionated ow
10-21-07, 07:22 AM
They own the track? :confused:

to the best of my knowledge, they own it in the same way kalkhoven owns long beach.

v8 supercar also can only host one more international round before the championship must apply for international series rights with the FIA, and thus lose its national championship status.

emjaya
10-21-07, 08:13 AM
to the best of my knowledge, they own it in the same way kalkhoven owns long beach.

v8 supercar also can only host one more international round before the championship must apply for international series rights with the FIA, and thus lose its national championship status.

Ok. I'm only going with what's in the paper. It's by Gordon Lomas, which may mean something to you. Or not.

RusH
10-21-07, 10:53 AM
http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/29858/2001283134597570954_rs.jpg

Spicoli
10-21-07, 11:03 AM
Ok. I'm only going with what's in the paper. It's by Gordon Lomas, which may mean something to you. Or not.

:rofl:

NismoZ
10-21-07, 03:26 PM
At a track near me? So, the headline reads "V-8 Supercars to Road America?" Hmmm, If ALMS is still on for that weekend it'll mean Champcars have to move down the hill to the north paddock!:p

opinionated ow
10-21-07, 08:43 PM
I still question who is actually going to go and watch thse cars. fair enough if you could buy falcons and commodores in north america, asia and south africa, but you can't. (apart from bugatti badged statesmans in china)

Tifosi24
10-21-07, 09:47 PM
I still question who is actually going to go and watch thse cars. fair enough if you could buy falcons and commodores in north america, asia and south africa, but you can't. (apart from bugatti badged statesmans in china)

Because they produce some pretty good racing. My roommate when I was a sophomore in college was a country redneck, who thought Nascar was the only form of motorsport, and he thought V8 Supercars were on part with Nascar. I don't know if that says much, but it might say that people will watch them even if they can't buy the cars.

extramundane
10-21-07, 10:15 PM

Do you autocross?

Spicoli
10-21-07, 10:24 PM
Do you autocross?

Sean O'Gorman
10-21-07, 10:47 PM
Yes, because we all know that autocross ranks below sitting in a grandstand getting tanked when it comes to credibility. :gomer:

extramundane
10-21-07, 10:51 PM
Yes, because we all know that autocross ranks below sitting in a grandstand getting tanked when it comes to credibility. :gomer:

I was gonna give you a little more credit than that, but if you insist... :rofl:

nrc
10-22-07, 01:00 AM
Back on topic, here's more on this...

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/10/22/4032_gold-coast-news.html

Champ Car series vice-president David Higdon said yesterday it was premature to start talking about a deal between his US-based Open Wheel Racing Series and the Australian-based V8s, which would mean double billing at some events in 2009.

Andrew Longman
10-22-07, 09:41 AM

Where do I go to buy a CoT? :)

opinionated ow
10-22-07, 09:47 AM
Where do I go to buy a CoT? :)

you can however buy a version of the camry, taurus, grand prix or whatever other rubbish stickers they use.

TrueBrit
10-22-07, 10:05 AM
At a track near me? So, the headline reads "V-8 Supercars to Road America?" Hmmm, If ALMS is still on for that weekend it'll mean Champcars have to move down the hill to the north paddock!:p

Yup...all five of them.....;)

extramundane
10-22-07, 11:24 AM
you can however buy a version of the camry, taurus, grand prix or whatever other rubbish stickers they use.

Can I buy RWD Camry? Or a carbeurated Impala? Or a Fusion that has the same body as a Charger?

None of that matters in North America. If you've got the marketing angle right, someone will watch it, and not just on YouTube.

Spicoli
10-22-07, 11:35 AM
Can I buy RWD Camry? Or a carbeurated Impala? Or a Fusion that has the same body as a Charger?

None of that matters in North America. If you've got the marketing angle right, someone will watch it, and not just on YouTube.

dood - you got enuf money I can build you a RWD Camry with a carburator. :llama:

extramundane
10-22-07, 11:39 AM
dood - you got enuf money I can build you a RWD Camry with a carburator. :llama:

Sold. As long as it's not yellow.:thumbup:

Spicoli
10-22-07, 01:06 PM
Sold. As long as it's not yellow.:thumbup:

If it was yeller, i wouldn;t sell it.

emjaya
10-22-07, 04:44 PM

Who? Chevy fans. :)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa21/billybanana/todd1.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa21/billybanana/todd2.jpg

SteveH
10-22-07, 06:10 PM

I can't buy a DP-01 and I watch those cars. I can't buy a Mazda powered Atlantic, same there. At least I can buy a Mazda (and actually have but it was before the FAtl sponsorship). So the brand name is promoted in markets where the car isn't sold. That is worth something.

Dirk Diggler
10-23-07, 09:44 AM
Oops. Looks like someone forgot to ask Tony Cochrane if he was interested...:gomer:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63603

Earlier this week, Champ Car and V8 Supercar team co-owner Craig Gore suggested it would be a good idea for the two series to combine forces at events in the future, but comments from V8 Supercar chairman Cochrane seem to have put the possibility of such an idea beyond doubt.

"At no stage has either myself or anyone from the management of V8 Supercars Australia held discussions with Champ Car with a view to holding joint races in any location," Cochrane said.

KLang
10-23-07, 10:02 AM
Looks like the Aussie press is as reliable as the press here in the US. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
10-23-07, 10:07 AM
http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/29858/2001283134597570954_rs.jpg

You would think the reporter would try to get a quote from Cochrane before putting that in the Sunday Mail. Even the typical "calls were not immediately returned" line would suggest they tried to talk to him.

Apparently they did not. If a few V8 owner responded positively to a reporters hypothetical suggestion that they race more together then that in itself is not a story.

Haven't V8 raced before outside of Oz without success? I imagine they have some wariness about doing more of it.

NismoZ
10-23-07, 10:10 AM
Yeah, that face-to-face meeting at Assen was more likely about the new $$ arrangements the V-8s want for the future at Surfers. CC will certainly have to scale back on that one. Also Lexmark is out and I'm reading about 6 new companies that might want in. Any local news on that front?

opinionated ow
10-23-07, 10:26 AM
You would think the reporter would try to get a quote from Cochrane before putting that in the Sunday Mail. Even the typical "calls were not immediately returned" line would suggest they tried to talk to him.
certainly an out there idea....

Haven't V8 raced before outside of Oz without success? I imagine they have some wariness about doing more of it.
They raced at Shanghai circuit and the ticket prices were larger than most people's annual income. in the end they threw open the gates and still nobody showed up. They are racing in Bahrain again shortly, last year they had huge banners over the seats in the grandstand to make it look full when the cars went by at speed. the only people there were race starved expat aussies, kiwis and pommys that live in the arab states. less than 5K apparently (from a source very close to the cab racing, who went over there from aus). i mean be honest, who outside of Aus and NZ wants to watch Australian Touring Cars?

Indy
10-23-07, 10:37 AM
i mean be honest, who outside of Aus and NZ wants to watch Australian Touring Cars?

I personally could not care less. If they ran with them overseas, it would not matter to me, but if they displaced ALMS domestically, I would be less likely to attend races here.

Andrew Longman
10-23-07, 10:52 AM
i mean be honest, who outside of Aus and NZ wants to watch Australian Touring Cars?

When they showed them on Speed in the US I watched them. They were a blast.

I'm not travelling to Durban though to see them. :gomer:

Sean Malone
10-23-07, 11:05 AM
I’ve seen two V8 races. I thought they were fun. If NASCAR used the same type of cars e.g. technology, I think more of the discerning fans would embrace the series.

So if this is true, will we see V8 drivers coming over to Champ Car? What is the talent depth of the V8 series?

The V8’s had tons of sponsor signage when I saw them a few years ago from well known companies to those in the US. I’m assuming the sponsors are from the Australian ventures. If formal cooperation was formed I wonder if we’d see sponsor crossover as well.

opinionated ow
10-23-07, 11:34 AM
http://enews.mnews.com.au has a large story on page 4 of this week's edition:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/thomaswarren/ccwsnodeal.png

and to add to that, A1GP doesn't stand a chance of getting in there, and wouldn't do so as a support anyway. Alan Jones is frankly full of it.

pchall
10-23-07, 12:21 PM
I mean be honest, who outside of Aus and NZ wants to watch Australian Touring Cars?

I'd watch, but I've been disgruntled by NASCRAP and Trans Ain't for more than a couple of decades. Ford and GM should have been distributing Aussie high performance cars here for at least twenty years.

Sean Malone
10-23-07, 12:49 PM
The V8 head honcho refers to the series as the V8 Supercar Australia. Are there other V8 Supercar series in other countries?

Dirk Diggler
10-23-07, 03:11 PM
Ford and GM should have been distributing Aussie high performance cars here for at least twenty years.

http://www.motorpasion.com/images/mad_max_interceptor.jpg

emjaya
10-23-07, 05:04 PM
The V8 head honcho refers to the series as the V8 Supercar Australia. Are there other V8 Supercar series in other countries?

I get the feeling they are looking to franchise other countries. Brazil has a V8 touring car series.

For those interested in the V8's, there is an weekly online magazine, http://enews.mnews.com.au/.

And I did say the Sunday Mail story was by Gordon Lomas. ;)

Ruben Barrios
10-23-07, 06:30 PM
Do you autocross?

Wouldn't that be Motorkhana?

What was Max's car anyway? Nevermind... Falcon XB GT thanks...

Dirk Diggler
10-23-07, 06:45 PM
What was Max's car anyway? Nevermind... Falcon XB GT thanks...

Looks like a '70s era Mach 1 Mustang knocked up a Charger :saywhat:

http://www.falcongt.com.au/xb2dgt.jpg