PDA

View Full Version : Audi question (ALMS)

G.
10-20-07, 09:10 PM
what the hell does TDI stand for?

Methanolandbrats
10-20-07, 09:11 PM
what the hell does TDI stand for? Turbo Direct Injection.

Cam
10-20-07, 09:11 PM
Turbo Diesel Inject(ion)(ed)?

G.
10-20-07, 10:30 PM
Thanks! Close enough!

Turbo Diesel (something) is all I need for the mom-in-law.

What's sad, I got an answer from you guys much quicker than the time I spent on the ALMS site.

I spent about 10 mins there, no clue. Yet I get something from you guys in 2.:thumbup: :thumbup:

(yeah, the alms site is prolly getting slammed from the race.)

Methanolandbrats
10-20-07, 10:43 PM
Two types of TDI motors manufactured from early 90s to 2007. One had an injection pump which delivered pressurized fuel to an injector at each cylinder. The other type was the "pump duese" which had a small unit injector on each cylinder driven by a cam lobe. The VW/Audi diesels going on sale in 2008 will go back to common rail injection. I've got a 97 Passat TDI, best car I ever had.

NismoZ
10-21-07, 01:46 PM
Didn't some guy try to drive non-stop coast-to-coast in one of those...with a real BIG fuel tank?:D

nrc
10-22-07, 12:10 AM
Didn't some guy try to drive non-stop coast-to-coast in one of those...with a real BIG fuel tank?:D

I recall a story about it in C&D once upon a time.

DagoFast
10-22-07, 01:28 AM

No big tank needed. All you have to do is stop for lunch. For you and the car (http://www.deepfriedrides.com/installations.htm).

pchall
10-23-07, 11:43 AM
Turbo Diesel Inject(ion)(ed)?

TDI is direct injection into the combustion chamber with turbocharging. Other forms of FI inject the fuel into the intake runners just ahead of the valve(s). Then there is (was?) throttle body injection, which just turned a really bad carburettor into a mediocre carb with more precise fuel metering.

The Audi R8 was a turbocharged gasoline direct injection unit while the R10 became a turbocharged direct injection diesel.