PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car's Future - Hinged on a lawsuit?

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 12:10 PM
For the second time in five years will the fate of Champ Car hinge on a lawsuit? Some of the prominent lemmings have been prophesizing this very occurrence for a few years now at least. Now I see Robin Miller also raises the issue in a SpeedTV piece.

The insinuation being that a lost case against KK will cease all monies that support the series. Simplified of course.

Is it really so dire? I assume it would be as there isn’t a major title sponsor that would financially support the series. Would Uncle Gerry pick up the slack? Are there other billion/millionaires that would step up?
Robin reminds that appeals would be entered by either losing side which could drag this out over the next few years, so the drop of the gavel probably wouldn’t be the defining moment of Champ Car. Even if KK loses I wouldn’t imagine that the doors would be locked at Champ Car HQ that very day. But it could be the beginning of the end. Somewhat ironic that the beginning and the end could be decided in a court room.
Much ado about nothing?

Andrew Longman
10-15-07, 12:46 PM
I haven't followed the details of the case that closely but what I can tell KK left before the company collapsed and it fell just like hundreds, perhaps thousands of companies in the dot bomb and without much warning (except that everyone was saying the bubble would eventually bust). If there was some illegal silliness going on, it was with the leadership after KK left. There may be more to it than that, but I think this is an example of sue everyone and let the lawyers sort it out.

As far as how much of KKs money is still feeding the various ventures it is hard to say, but it would seem to be less than before. Team subsidies and driver salaries seem to be stopped. Events have been allowed to go away rather than buying them to keep them going. And the events that are on the schedule seem to be reasonably well attended and viable (with a few question marks).

If CC does stop operating it will be because there just isn't enough commercial value created to attract and sustain teams. Car count is just at the edge where they simply can't operate a series. That to me is more of a concern.

Methanolandbrats
10-15-07, 01:16 PM
Being a fan of racing is fun, it's almost as fun as hanging out in the library doing term paper research :thumbup: I cannot understand why millions don't kick back and become fans. :confused:

Chief
10-15-07, 01:23 PM
KK's win/loss in a lawsuit isn't the determining factor for it's future. It's the retards they have running their business into the ground that's causing the problems. That's what CCWS' future hinges upon, whether they can successfully market their product and pick a ****ing direction and stay with it.

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 01:47 PM
KK's win/loss in a lawsuit isn't the determining factor for it's future. It's the retards they have running their business into the ground that's causing the problems. That's what CCWS' future hinges upon, whether they can successfully market their product and pick a ****ing direction and stay with it.

It's doomed.

KLang
10-15-07, 02:31 PM
Much ado about nothing?

I think the end result will be that. Just an eskimo's wet-dream IMO. :laugh:

Edit: It also appears that Miller is a fan of the eskimo and indyfool.

Tim
10-15-07, 02:57 PM
I wish there was a way that when CC gets sued for not living up to there end of contracts that Gentilozzi is the one legally responsible for all of it.

cameraman
10-15-07, 03:26 PM
If Kalkhoven et al are actually going to take this thing to trial in front of a California jury, they are either absolutely sure of winning or certifiably insane. Personally I'd vote for both. Time will tell but I would really like to see Kalkhoven win simply for the joy of watching eskimo boy implode.

BTW the docket for this train wreck is over 1650 entries:eek:
I feel sorry for the staff attorney who drew that case number:shakehead

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 03:39 PM
If Kalkhoven et al are actually going to take this thing to trial in front of a California jury, they are either absolutely sure of winning or certifiably insane. Personally I'd vote for both. Time will tell but I would really like to see Kalkhoven win simply for the joy of watching eskimo boy implode.

BTW the docket for this train wreck is over 1650 entries:eek:
I feel sorry for the staff attorney who drew that case number:shakehead

Robin's piece does mention that it is extremely difficult to prosecute this type of case.

Spicoli
10-15-07, 08:01 PM
I wish there was a way that when CC gets sued for not living up to there end of contracts that Gentilozzi is the one legally responsible for all of it.

me too. he is the boil on CC's asz.

greenie
10-16-07, 02:19 AM
Robin's piece does mention that it is extremely difficult to prosecute this type of case.

Difficult to win - nothing's being prosecuted.

I think that KK is going to be unscathed after this over and done with, but there's no predicting juries.

Sean Malone
10-16-07, 10:19 AM
Difficult to win - nothing's being prosecuted.

I think that KK is going to be unscathed after this over and done with, but there's no predicting juries.

I stand corrected. I'm not a lawyer and the only time I've been in front of a judge was for a couple of drunk in publics when I was 18. :D