PDA

View Full Version : I would Drink Flavored Tea...

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 01:38 PM
...if it tasted like really strong coffee. :D

Saw that on co-workers coffee mug. Thought it was kinda funny.

Our commissary has a mini Starbucks and I get a large (I refuse say venti) house brew every morning even though I hate Starbucks on multiple levels. It's a million times better than the vendor crap in the break room.

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 02:40 PM
...even though I hate Starbucks on multiple levels...

Careful there, Howard Schultz and I have a lot in common. He is from Brooklyn, I'm from Jersey. He and I both went to Northern Michigan to play football and didn't much. He found his passion and started Starbuck's. Me, not so much.

He and Steve Mariucci are the only famous people from NMU.

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 02:44 PM
Careful there, Howard Schultz and I have a lot in common. He is from Brooklyn, I'm from Jersey. He and I both went to Northern Michigan to play football and didn't much. He found his passion and started Starbuck's. Me, not so much.

He and Steve Mariucci are the only famous people from NMU.

I give him $3 a day. I give you...not so much. :)

anait
10-12-07, 02:53 PM
I went through the flavoured tea stage. Have abandoned most of the fruity stuff. Still like steeping a big ol' bunch of fresh peppermint leaves, though. And Twinings Blackcurrant tea, brewed long enough to take the enamel off one's teeth, is a great pick-me-up. Twinings Earl Grey, too.

For coffee, it's Timmy's for me. No added seasonal flavours, like the current 'Spicy Pumpkin' or 'Pumpkin Spice' or whatever. Just gimme my double-double, and don't waste time being friendly. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 03:01 PM
My morning coffee ritual includes waiting in line while half a dozen woman order 'White Chocolate Mocca Iced Cappuccino with Carmel and Non Fat Milk Whipped with Cinnamon on Top" (flavors vary). Takes about five minutes each to make and costs $5 each and most get two, one for them and one for their friends back in the office. Grrr.

anait
10-12-07, 03:07 PM
My morning coffee ritual includes waiting in line while half a dozen woman 'White Chocolate Mocca Iced Cappuccino with Carmel and Non Fat Milk Whipped with Cinnamon on Top" (flavors vary). Takes about five minutes each to make and costs $5 each and most get two, one for them and one for their friends back in the office. Grrr.

:D Well, if I'm ever in line in front of you, I promise I won't do that.

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 03:17 PM
I give him $3 a day. I give you...not so much. :)

Oh, but you give me so much, much more. :)

grungex
10-13-07, 04:56 PM
My morning coffee ritual includes waiting in line while half a dozen woman order 'White Chocolate Mocca Iced Cappuccino with Carmel and Non Fat Milk Whipped with Cinnamon on Top" (flavors vary). Takes about five minutes each to make and costs $5 each and most get two, one for them and one for their friends back in the office. Grrr.

And yet you still do it... :p

WickerBill
10-13-07, 07:15 PM

Reminds me of a song...

The famous person wears the same size water skis as me
She's got three cars, as many years I've lived in this city
Her hair is blond and mine is brown, they both start with a B...

dando
10-14-07, 03:21 PM
Our commissary has a mini Starbucks and I get a large (I refuse say venti) house brew every morning even though I hate Starbucks on multiple levels. It's a million times better than the vendor crap in the break room.

Same here. I always order a large on the few occasions I can bring myself to visit Harbucks. When the order is repeated I always reply: large. :) Tim's or Caribou pour moi. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Spicoli
10-14-07, 03:30 PM
http://home.indy.rr.com/mononcoffee/

my daily stop. lotsa good self serve. buck sebendee fibe.:thumbup:

WickerBill
10-14-07, 03:39 PM
Co-worker of mine makes about 10 pots of Maxwell House or some other swill a day and sells it for 15 cents a cup.

I drink it when I'm tired of Diet Dew. Which is almost never.

Indy
10-14-07, 04:54 PM
Buy good beans. I like Costa Rican, light roast, but any arabica is good enough. Grind. Brew. Fill Thermos.

Approximate cost: $0.50 :gomer:

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 09:28 AM
And yet you still do it... :p

Most of them are hot. ;)

Hot chicks dig Starbucks. :thumbup:

datachicane
10-15-07, 02:25 PM
6:30 AM
Home. Two proper 4oz ristretto double-caps, Hairbender, courtesy Rocky and PID'ed Silvia, slammed. Mmmmm.

8:00 AM
Work. Walk past crappy self-described barista in building lobby, past two other office buildings and their crappy self-described baristas, and buy quad-shot sugary milky crappiness from slightly less crappy self-described barista. Sugar and milk covers up gag-inducing crappy clueless espresso, which is sadly superior to most within a 40-mile radius, including no less than seven Starbucks and eleven independents within a mile or two.

12:30 PM
Lunch at home, chased by teeny, perfect Hairbender double-macchiato. At this moment, I love Rocky and Silvia more than sex.

6:30 PM
Home from work. Yet another 2oz Hairbender double-macchiato. Wife asks how much power 1200 watt Silvia uses when left on all day. Can't quite hear her while frothing.

Saturday, 10:00 AM
Drive to Albina Press, 40+ miles from home, God's gift to planet earth. Espresso better than stuff I drank in Italy. Brother-in-law, who lives a couple of miles from me, is there. Barista asks if I want the usual 4oz quad cap. Chase with 2oz double macchiato, maybe two, buy fresh bag of Hairbender for next week, drive home. Wife asks what took so long at the hardware store. :tony:

Well, at least I don't smoke or hit the bars much.

Sean Malone
10-15-07, 02:29 PM
Home. Two proper 4oz ristretto double-caps, Hairbender, courtesy Rocky and PID'ed Silvia, slammed. Mmmmm.

8:00 AM
Work. Walk past crappy self-described barista in building lobby, past two other office buildings and their crappy self-described baristas, and buy quad-shot sugary milky crappiness from slightly less crappy self-described barista. Sugar and milk covers up gag-inducing crappy clueless espresso, which is sadly superior to most within a 40-mile radius, including no less than seven Starbucks and eleven independents within a mile or two.

12:30 PM
Lunch at home, chased by teeny, perfect Hairbender double-macchiato. At this moment, I love Rocky and Silvia more than sex.

6:30 PM
Home from work. Yet another 2oz Hairbender double-macchiato. Wife asks how much power 1200 watt Silvia uses when left on all day. Can't quite hear her while frothing.

Saturday, 10:00 AM
Drive to Albina Press, 40+ miles from home, God's gift to planet earth. Espresso better than stuff I drank in Italy. Brother-in-law, who lives a couple of miles from me, is there. Barista asks if I want the usual 4oz quad cap. Chase with 2oz double macchiato, maybe two, buy fresh bag of Hairbender for next week, drive home. Wife asks what took so long at the hardware store. :tony:

Well, at least I don't smoke or hit the bars much.

:eek: :rofl:

Indy
10-15-07, 07:43 PM

So, you robbing liquor stores to pay for your habit?

datachicane
10-16-07, 12:34 AM
So, you robbing liquor stores to pay for your habit?

It's all about priorities.
Our newest car is seventeen years old (ask dst :\ ), I don't own a cell phone (long story involving work on-call status), ride a bicycle to work, get my hair cut twice a year, dress like hell, and have an eight-year-old daughter who has no idea who Hannah Montana is.

Life is good.

Plus, I didn't tell my wife that the new stove I bought her to replace the 1961 vintage single-working-burner-wonder cost 2/3 as much as Silvia did five years earlier :eek: .

WickerBill
10-16-07, 06:25 AM
have an eight-year-old daughter who has no idea who Hannah Montana is.

Cruel and unusual

emjaya
10-16-07, 09:18 AM
Until last Saturday morning, I had no idea who Hannah Montana was either. Now I do...:yuck: :shakehead

TKGAngel
10-16-07, 09:25 AM
Most people here stop at Timmy Ho's for their morning brew. Then, during the day, they hit up what we call "the fancy coffee machine." This thing allows you to brew individual cups of flavored coffee for 50 cents each. The coffee's pretty good (Green Mountain), though there was a near meltdown the day the coconut creme flavor ran out.

RHR_Fan
10-16-07, 09:30 AM

Hey now it takes time to do some of those fancy smancy drinks. 2 shots takes about 20-30 seconds and you have to let capp milk sit in the fridge to get a bit more firm. So those 5 minutes are worth it. :D

~Nicole

KLang
10-16-07, 10:06 AM
Two cups of strong black coffee from a drip machine at home when I get up. That's it. Anything more and I can't get to sleep at night. Getting old sucks. ;)

opinionated ow
10-16-07, 10:16 AM
If short of sleep....coca-cola or pepsi (whichever i have on deck)...about 300mL has me functioning in 15 minutes.

Sean Malone
10-16-07, 10:21 AM
If short of sleep....coca-cola or pepsi (whichever i have on deck)...about 300mL has me functioning in 15 minutes.

300ml? What's that, like two and a half gallons? DAMN YOU METRIC SYSTEM!!!!!!:irked:

WickerBill
10-16-07, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I agree... at my worst I burn through two 24 packs of Diet Coke in three days. That does not include my 44oz fountain each morning at 5am.

Andrew Longman
10-16-07, 11:20 AM
It's all about priorities.
Our newest car is seventeen years old (ask dst :\ ), I don't own a cell phone (long story involving work on-call status), ride a bicycle to work, get my hair cut twice a year, dress like hell, and have an eight-year-old daughter who has no idea who Hannah Montana is.

Life is good.

That was my life 25 years ago. Somewhere along the way...

Yesterday, MSN reported that my county has by far the highest property taxes in the nation and its simply at rat race to keep up.

chop456
10-16-07, 11:26 AM
Frenchtown rock, I'd give the slum a try

Andrew Longman
10-16-07, 11:38 AM
Frenchtown rock, I'd give the slum a try

Sad thing is this is among the most affordable towns in the state. Big move is required.

In 1981 I lived in Marquette, MI and I rented a tidy three bedroom house for $150/mo. I pay more than that a week now in property taxes. :shakehead

But on topic, I buy my coffee from a guy across the river in Upper Black Eddy, PA who is likely a lot like datachicane and roasts his own beans in his basement. Excellent. :thumbup: One cup daily.:)

JLMannin
10-16-07, 11:40 AM
300ml? What's that, like two and a half gallons? DAMN YOU METRIC SYSTEM!!!!!!:irked:

It's just over 10 oz

I'm one of the few that drink both coffee and tea. I have coffee in the morning and at work, then switch to iced tea at home. I find that I like Oolong teas best.

Sean Malone
10-16-07, 11:51 AM
Sad thing is this is among the most affordable towns in the state. Big move is required.

In 1981 I lived in Marquette, MI and I rented a tidy three bedroom house for $150/mo. I pay more than that a week now in property taxes. :shakehead

But on topic, I buy my coffee from a guy across the river in Upper Black Eddy, PA who is likely a lot like datachicane and roasts his own beans in his basement. Excellent. :thumbup: One cup daily.:)

I'm paying $96 a week here in FL and I thought that was outrageous!

datachicane
10-16-07, 02:28 PM
Until last Saturday morning, I had no idea who Hannah Montana was either. Now I do...:yuck: :shakehead

We were camping last weekend when I ran into an acquaintance with seven and nine year-old daughters. While the kids were playing, she mentioned that she'd dropped $3k for a suite at the Seattle show, and said we were welcome to join them.

I asked Autumn (my daughter) if she wanted to go- she asked who Ms. Montana was, I said "a singer", she asked if she was any good, I said "well..." Autumn stood for a second, said "I like Jerry Garcia", and ran off into the woods. :cool:

datachicane
10-16-07, 02:32 PM
The coffee's pretty good (Green Mountain), though there was a near meltdown the day the coconut creme flavor ran out.

Coconut creme flavored coffee is like cheezie-weenie flavored chateaubriand.

G.
10-16-07, 03:10 PM
We were camping last weekend when I ran into an acquaintance with seven and nine year-old daughters. While the kids were playing, she mentioned that she'd dropped $3k for a suite at the Seattle show, and said we were welcome to join them.

I asked Autumn (my daughter) if she wanted to go- she asked who Ms. Montana was, I said "a singer", she asked if she was any good, I said "well..." Autumn stood for a second, said "I like Jerry Garcia", and ran off into the woods. :cool:You wear sandals made out of hemp, doncha?:gomer:

Andrew Longman
10-16-07, 04:52 PM
I'm paying $96 a week here in FL and I thought that was outrageous!

You folks in FL figured out how to get the tourists to pay for as much as possible. We have a LOT of corruption to pay for. But we generally have very good schools

Sean Malone
10-16-07, 04:59 PM
You folks in FL figured out how to get the tourists to pay for as much as possible. We have a LOT of corruption to pay for. But we generally have very good schools

Florida lubs Canabians! (spicoli speak):D

Andrew Longman
10-16-07, 05:44 PM

What you really need to watch out for are those leopard/cheetah/tiger whatever-they-are-called girls. Disney's latest tween girl nightmare.

Indy
10-16-07, 07:01 PM
Hannah Montana? :rofl: Couldn't they come up with a better name than that? And why do parents allow their kids to be exposed to that crap?

My congratulations to you datachicane. It sound like you are not raising an American idiot, and that is a rarity.

cameraman
10-16-07, 07:10 PM
she asked who Ms. Montana was, I said "a singer",

Not just any singer but the daughter of none other than Billy Ray Cyrus:rolleyes:

Having been trapped like a rat at a family birthday party and forced to listen to far more Hannah Montana than I ever imagined possible, I will say she is far better than Britney Spears ever was.