PDA

View Full Version : A1GP Powered By Ferrari!

NismoZ
10-11-07, 09:33 AM
Done 6 year deal, starting in '08. Includes all engines and design and consulting on chassis. "...a testament to the strength and VISION of A1GP. Partnering with Ferrari will officially position A1GP as one of the most significant motorsport series in the world." Also announced was A2GP for '09 testing, also all Ferrari. Now lets see who becomes the new B-team Ferrari in F-1, Afterall they now have two race SERIES!:D

Sean Malone
10-11-07, 09:40 AM
Wow! I'm rather surprised and if I'm surprised...imagine what Champ Car brass is feeling. that sereis was two days away from never being uttered out load and here they are with a 6 year Ferrari contract. Steve Johnson must be scratching his head this morning, or looking through the want ads.

What would European motorsport fans rather see, spec Ferrari's with Ferrari engines, or spec Panoz's with spec Cosworths? I vote the former.

NismoZ
10-11-07, 09:50 AM
Yup, seems there were others paying attention to the void BE may be leaving in Europe. The A2GP class will be a series of regional championships. I wonder where some of those regions may be? Italy? Germany/England/France? US?:eek: Besides CC I wonder how Euro F-3 might be reacting this morning? (Like I said in the Buddy Rice A1GP thread maybe CC going global will now lead them to consider a merger of another sort?)

Spicoli
10-11-07, 10:30 AM
Wow! I'm rather surprised and if I'm surprised...imagine what Champ Car brass is feeling. that sereis was two days away from never being uttered out load and here they are with a 6 year Ferrari contract. Steve Johnson must be scratching his head this morning, or looking through the want ads.

What would European motorsport fans rather see, spec Ferrari's with Ferrari engines, or spec Panoz's with spec Cosworths? I vote the former.

Shows you just how pathetic he is. :shakehead

eiregosod
10-11-07, 10:48 AM
just like the ferrari-lambourghini challenge.

ferrari wont be able to to get in on the business for replacing the broken bodywork after all the damage. :gomer: :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
10-11-07, 11:40 AM

Makes sense for all 9 race fans who watch for the engines... :rolleyes:

Spicoli
10-11-07, 11:44 AM

dang. well hello there mister poopoohead. :gomer:

Dirk Diggler
10-11-07, 12:38 PM

But in this case you're not selling an engine, you're selling a name. A damned impressive one, at that.

NismoZ
10-11-07, 12:57 PM
What % of Ferraris are sold in the US? Would they want to help sell the name here? Believe me if an A1-2 GP race was scheduled for RA I'd certainly be there. Formula Atlantic could be the support series!:D Maybe ALMS would want a stronger partner for a weekend or 3?

Sean Malone
10-11-07, 01:10 PM

Oh that's right, there's no Ford, Dodge or Chevy NASCAR fans.

:rolleyes: <----note rolling of the eyes. It's important in making my sarcastic point.:gomer:

Oh, and how many Ferrari hats/shirts do you see at F1 races? I'm sure they're all Massa fans. -----> more rolling of the eyes.:rolleyes:

Oh, that's right, you don't watch F1. What is it you do follow?

Dirk Diggler
10-11-07, 03:45 PM

He likes the svelte lines of the Daytona Crapotypes.

extramundane
10-11-07, 04:08 PM
He likes the svelte lines of the Daytona Crapotypes.

Well, y'know, Americans can identify with a Pontiac Riley or a tube-frame M6 silhouette better than they can a Ferrari.

NismoZ
10-11-07, 04:43 PM

NismoZ
10-11-07, 04:44 PM

NismoZ
10-11-07, 04:47 PM
Sorry...not post building...trying to cook and type simultaneously together at the same time.:gomer:

Sean Malone
10-11-07, 04:49 PM

cameraman
10-11-07, 04:50 PM
Well, y'know, Americans can identify with a Pontiac Riley or a tube-frame M6 silhouette better than they can a Ferrari. My three-year old son has a similar problem. He keeps calling a friend's new red Honda Accord Coupe a Ferrari:eek:.
It doesn't help that the only Ferrari he is very familiar with is this one:
http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/schumacher.jpg
I need to take him to the Ferrari dealership and show him a real one...

Sean Malone
10-11-07, 04:51 PM
My three-year old son has a similar problem. He keeps calling a friend's new red Honda Accord Coupe a Ferrari:eek:.
It doesn't help that the only Ferrari he is very familiar with is this one:
http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/schumacher.jpg
I need to take him to the Ferrari dealership and show him a real one...

What's that from? They should have had Lighting turn into that in the movie! I'm still miffed they didn't have any open wheel racers in there. :mad:

cameraman
10-11-07, 04:59 PM
The Cars web site
http://adisney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/cars/main.html

It has high resolution (ie look good printed 8by10 on a photo printer) jpeg downloads of all the characters in the movie. My son absolutely loves everything to do with that movie, his room is covered with those prints. The one I posted is greatly reduced in size.

Sean O'Gorman
10-11-07, 07:33 PM
Oh that's right, there's no Ford, Dodge or Chevy NASCAR fans.

:rolleyes: <----note rolling of the eyes. It's important in making my sarcastic point.:gomer:

Oh, and how many Ferrari hats/shirts do you see at F1 races? I'm sure they're all Massa fans. -----> more rolling of the eyes.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Ferrari fans are Ferrari fans because its a team to cheer for. Its different if there is no one to cheer against.

Spicoli
10-11-07, 07:45 PM

Ferrari fans are Ferrari fans because its a team to cheer for. Its different if there is no one to cheer against.

Man. You ARE smart. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :rofl:

opinionated ow
10-11-07, 08:17 PM

this is how I see it playing out:
-Ferrari sponsorship of series, include significant trackside signage.
-FANS will cheer on their national teams as they have all along (except in my case-I cheer on Lebanon 'cause I'm mates with the driver).

And I would guess that is exactly how it would work in Netherlands, Czech, UK, Aus, NZ, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, South Africa....(the places where the A1GP has been most successful)

Methanolandbrats
10-11-07, 08:23 PM

I root for the team in F1 because of the history. In other series I'm a fan of the their motors. Ever hear one of these? http://galeria.forocoches.com/data/500/Ferrari_333_SP_Gianpiero_Moretti_1998_01.jpg If whole A1 grid has the Ferrari sound:eek: :thumbup:

STD
10-11-07, 10:32 PM
just like the ferrari-lambourghini challenge.

ferrari wont be able to to get in on the business for replacing the broken bodywork after all the damage. :gomer: :tony:

Hey, I love that series... rich egos, no talent requirements, flying body work and parts.
The only way it could be better would be with upscale station wagons racing on a figure 8.
:laugh: :laugh:

pchall
10-12-07, 07:05 AM
I'd bet that Ferrari subcontracts the whole program to Dallara and just does the engines. Just like they did with the 333 SP.

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 09:24 AM
In other series I'm a fan of the their motors.

Ok, so you account for one. Where are the other eight?

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 09:48 AM
Ok, so you account for one. Where are the other eight?

http://www.skywayweb.com/ferrarifans.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 02:33 PM
What distinguishes them as engine fans?

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 02:36 PM
What distinguishes them as engine fans?

You're right, they could be chassis fans. Good point. :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-12-07, 03:00 PM
I'd prefer to watch a big field of ugly tube frame douche wagons powered by Buick stock blocks 'cause that's the sound that gets my blood boiling. The Ferrari mystique is way overblown and the sound of the Ferrari engines just doesn't have that nice low rev thing going on...

oc

Sean Malone
10-12-07, 03:04 PM
I'd prefer to watch a big field of ugly tube frame douche wagons powered by Buick stock blocks 'cause that's the sound that gets my blood boiling. The Ferrari mystique is way overblown and the sound of the Ferrari engines just doesn't have that nice low rev thing going on...

oc

You forgot the rolly eyes ----->:rolleyes:

I hope. :)

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 04:06 PM

oc

That's nice. Too bad the state of professional road racing in this country shows that no one cares about your opinion. :p

Ankf00
10-12-07, 04:52 PM
That's nice. Too bad the state of professional road racing in this country shows that no one cares about your opinion. :p

nor yours, Wussy ;)

Sean O'Gorman
10-12-07, 06:04 PM
I know.

oddlycalm
10-12-07, 09:43 PM
That's nice. Too bad the state of professional road racing in this country shows that no one cares about your opinion. :p Actually, what it shows is that when too much power and wealth are concentrated among just a few people everyone else loses. The current situation only serves the interest of the Frances and to a far lesser degree the Hulmans.

In addition, the rest of the world doesn't give a rip about NASCAR or any of the other watered down racing conducted in the US. The current hegemony won't last forever. People grow old, make mistakes, or succeeding generations screw up the works (ahem, TG) and the outside influences won't go away either. There has always been a moderate sized market in the US for high end road racing and I suspect that it will flourish again in the future. In the mean time MotoGP is going to cash in.

oc

Methanolandbrats
10-12-07, 10:12 PM
Actually, what it shows is that when too much power and wealth are concentrated among just a few people everyone else loses. The current situation only serves the interest of the Frances and to a far lesser degree the Hulmans.

In addition, the rest of the world doesn't give a rip about NASCAR or any of the other watered down racing conducted in the US. The current hegemony won't last forever. People grow old, make mistakes, or succeeding generations screw up the works (ahem, TG) and the outside influences won't go away either. There has always been a moderate sized market in the US for high end road racing and I suspect that it will flourish again in the future. In the mean time MotoGP is going to cash in.

ocOutstanding post :thumbup: Racing has cycles like everything else. Early 70s and early 90s were peaks. We're overdue for an upswing, but everytime it looks like it's hit bottom, it gets worse.

eiregosod
10-12-07, 10:44 PM

oc

:D not everyone's a Ferrari fanboi. What's that story about ferarri's cant sustain speeds upwards of 160mph else they disintegrate.

STD
10-12-07, 11:29 PM
Outstanding post :thumbup: Racing has cycles like everything else. Early 70s and early 90s were peaks. We're overdue for an upswing, but everytime it looks like it's hit bottom, it gets worse.

This cycle worldwide those in power forgot it is all about auto racing.
I'm looking forward to the new cycle as well with new blood mixed in with those that haven't forgotten it's about auto racing.
Cheap gimmics never are a substitute in the long run.

emjaya
10-13-07, 06:03 AM
How much "Ferrari" sound is there going to be?

One 3lt V8 sounds like another, I would have thought. :\