PDA

View Full Version : Surfer's weather report = horrible

cameraman
10-10-07, 02:18 PM
Yikes.

Wild storms are predicted for next week's Indy, forcing race officials to come up with a contingency plan if wet weather hampers the race start. The Bureau of Metereology has predicted hot, sultry weather for the southeast over the next seven days, with the likelihood of more storms. Heavy rain and storms have lashed the Surfers Paradise race precinct on six out of the past 10 races, with the track temperatures expected to climb past 40C on raceday.

...snip...

Meanwhile, ticket sales for next week's Lexmark Indy 300 have gone through the roof, with Aussies rallying behind Toowoomba-born Will Power. The crowd record of 319,000 will be tested, said Indy officials. Team Australia boss Craig Gore said yesterday thousands of flags and green and gold colours would be distributed to cheer Power on. "This is our biggest race of the year and we want everybody behind us," he said.

40°C is 104°F:eek: :eek: :eek:

And it is humid there....

Sean Malone
10-10-07, 02:22 PM
Hot and sultry weather turns me on. I'm just sayin'.

With all the d&g hovering over the CCWS, they have had some successful events this year. Oz will not disappoint.

FTG
10-10-07, 02:27 PM
"Toowoomba"

That's got to be a gag name. I bet it means Jack Mehoff in Aboriginee.

Ankf00
10-10-07, 02:38 PM

meh, ACL the weekend Rita hit the coast was cloudless, windless, and 108F :gomer:

opinionated ow
10-10-07, 08:37 PM
"Toowoomba"

That's got to be a gag name. I bet it means Jack Mehoff in Aboriginee.
toowoomba is a real place. add it to places like mt buggery, woolloomooloo, uluru-katatjuta, wollongabba...

Chief
10-10-07, 09:22 PM
toowoomba is a real place. add it to places like mt buggery, woolloomooloo, uluru-katatjuta, wollongabba...
Hey man, this series has nothing going for it...you said it yourself. Should't you be down there spreading the word? The 300,000+ person crowd at Surfers didn't get the message....

Sean Malone
10-10-07, 09:24 PM

Now you're just making **** up. :flame:

devilmaster
10-10-07, 11:13 PM
Now you're just making **** up. :flame:

to be fair, canada has a town called ecum secum in nova scotia - and any Bugs bunny fan knows about Walla Walla, Washington. That's where the wishy washy washing machine company is located. ;)

tantra
10-11-07, 12:37 AM
According to my friends in Oz, rain in Sufers this time of year is the norm.
Why do some folk seemed dismayed or surprised each year?

opinionated ow
10-11-07, 03:00 AM
Hey man, this series has nothing going for it...you said it yourself. Should't you be down there spreading the word? The 300,000+ person crowd at Surfers didn't get the message....
i have no intentions of spending time amongst 318, 500 drunk v8 supercar fans who don't give a rats bum about champ car...i guarantee you that if will power didn't stand a chance, nobody would GAF about the champ cars at all. the event has changed significantly since the cabs were put on the schedule-it is no longer family friendly, just a piss-up for a stack of small minded cab fans. (average cab fan=average nascar fan).

bloody good question...the weather can be almost tropical at this time of year....

emjaya
10-11-07, 05:21 AM
Shut up, we need the rain. :gomer:

astinus4
10-11-07, 08:00 AM

A few more gems:

Dicky Hill
Humpty Doo
Fannie Bay (NOT a joke - this is actually the premiere residential suburb up in the Northern Territory)

Warlock!
10-11-07, 09:21 AM

I've never been happier to be 10,000 miles from Australia.

TravelGal
10-11-07, 12:28 PM

Australia, as New Zealand, is slowly changing many place names back to the original aboriginal name. Woolloomooloo has always been called that, as far as I know (first trip to Oz was in 1979) but most of you will know Uluru-Katajuta as Ayers Rock/The Olgas. If the names sound strange, it's just because you literally don't know the native language. My friend hosted an exchange student from Colombia, who had a terrible time learning to say Piscataway, Parsipanny, and Schentectady.

Yes, one reason I've never gone for the race. As the original quote said, it's been bad 6 out of the last 10. Remember the one Mario won? And the crash that preceded that?

A few more gems:

Dicky Hill
Humpty Doo
Fannie Bay (NOT a joke - this is actually the premiere residential suburb up in the Northern Territory)

Aw, now you're making me homesick. I was just in the Humpty Doo pub last month. There's a REAL piece of outback Australiana. :cry:

NismoZ
10-11-07, 01:03 PM
Anyone here graduate from Whatsamatta U in Frostbite Falls, Minn?:)

TravelGal
10-11-07, 01:31 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds more like a Bronx cheer to me.

greenie
10-11-07, 02:56 PM
Anyone here graduate from Whatsamatta U in Frostbite Falls, Minn?:)

Kill Moose and Squirrel! :rofl:

NismoZ
10-11-07, 04:40 PM
Hey, Rock! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!:gomer:

TravelGal
10-11-07, 07:00 PM
How could I have forgotten where Frostbite Falls is? Oh well, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

opinionated ow
10-11-07, 08:19 PM
Australia, as New Zealand, is slowly changing many place names back to the original aboriginal name. Woolloomooloo has always been called that, as far as I know (first trip to Oz was in 1979) but most of you will know Uluru-Katajuta as Ayers Rock/The Olgas. If the names sound strange, it's just because you literally don't know the native language. My friend hosted an exchange student from Colombia, who had a terrible time learning to say Piscataway, Parsipanny, and Schentectady.
that is an isolated case. heck alot of aboriginals still refer to the area as ayers rock and the olgas.

greenie
10-12-07, 01:01 AM
How could I have forgotten where Frostbite Falls is?

Probably a sign of sanity - I'm concerned that my TiVo suggestions seem to revolve far too much around cartoons. ;)